Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Konami will be at Gamescom 2011 with Castlevania!  (Read 97114 times)

Offline affinity

• Legendary Hunter
  • Awards Will make a staunch stand on one subject and never, ever budge. The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
Re: Konami will be at Gamescom 2011 with Castlevania!
« Reply #90 on: August 05, 2011, 04:22:09 PM »
LoI was repetitive and then he made CoD, which was 10x more repetitive than LoI. Why won't he learn?

lol how was CoD more repetitive than LoI?  If anything, CoD offered more options for fighting as well as skill/ability development than LoI.   And the locations overall had a lot more variety than LoI.

Well one of the things the 3D games lacked was actual platforming that required more jumping, they are overall too flat for a Castlevania.  That's just one example.

Anyways it seems IGA and the team do better with 2-D, so really 3-D Castlevanias are unnecessary and even Cox failed despite the production values.    Neither team has the right people or minds to make 3-D Castlevania work while not straying too far from its 2-D gameplay, and fun factor.  So might as well design it with what IGA's team are good at, which are 2-D Castlevanias.   

I don't think the 1999 demon castle war or a CVIII remake would be nearly as great if it was designed in 3-D.    Maybe 2.5D, but not 3-D.    Overall, 2-D has gotten the job done since the first Castlevania, why stray so far from that flavor?  Because other games are 3-D?  That's hardly an excuse.  To this day, I feel games like Metroid and Mario are more fun in 2-D or 2.5D.   NSMB Wii was definitely more fun than any Mario Galaxy/64/Sunshine.   
Zelda LTTP > OOT.  Metroid 1-3 > any Prime. 

« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 04:24:31 PM by affinity »

Offline Renonsgoods

• Combat Cross Trainer
  • Vampire Hunter
  • One needs gold even in hell these days
    • Awards
« Reply #91 on: August 05, 2011, 05:03:46 PM »
NO.  No more 3DVanias from Iga and his crew.  Leave those to someone else.  Let him stick to the 2D games or don't bother. 

Offline Profbeanburrito

• Vampire Killer
  • Master Hunter
  • The Mask is a powerful device...
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #92 on: August 05, 2011, 05:22:39 PM »
so really 3-D Castlevanias are unnecessary and even Cox failed despite the production values.   

Just cause you hate Lords of Shadow doesn't mean Mercury Steam failed
What a horrible night to have a curse!

Offline Maedhros

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
« Reply #93 on: August 05, 2011, 05:37:01 PM »
Just cause you hate Lords of Shadow doesn't mean Mercury Steam failed
They created a good action game, they failed in creating a Castlevania game.

Offline Pemburu Vampir

• Nameless
  • Legendary Hunter
  • I can speak Engrish fluently.
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #94 on: August 05, 2011, 05:38:47 PM »
lol how was CoD more repetitive than LoI?  If anything, CoD offered more options for fighting as well as skill/ability development than LoI.   And the locations overall had a lot more variety than LoI.

The copy pasted areas are massive in CoD, I can't even tell where I am without opening the map every time I enter a room.

Offline DarkPrinceAlucard

• The Dark Prince
  • Master Hunter
  • Your dark prince has arrived.
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Castle Modding
    • Awards
« Reply #95 on: August 05, 2011, 05:43:12 PM »
The copy pasted areas are massive in CoD, I can't even tell where I am without opening the map every time I enter a room.

I agree.

And the fact that Hector runs so freaken slow makes those HUGE repetitive areas so much worse.

I always wondered why the hell they did not bother adding some speed increase ability.

All the latest 2D vanias before it had the ability to run faster whether it was through spells or equipment and even LOI had that 1 relic that lets you run faster.

So I hated that they did not put something in the game to make Hector run faster.

Castlevania Modding Forum http://castlevaniamodding.boards.net/

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #96 on: August 05, 2011, 06:46:24 PM »
Damn, I remember there wa that one comic where Hector tries to make a whip but ends up with candlewax all over it in a massive fail, and some random monster goes: "I liked you better when your name was Alucard..."
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline Claimh Solais

• Ronove the Radical
  • Master Hunter
  • GO FIGHT!!
  • Awards The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Claimh Solais
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #97 on: August 05, 2011, 07:14:23 PM »

This and

I agree.

And the fact that Hector runs so freaken slow makes those HUGE repetitive areas so much worse.

I always wondered why the hell they did not bother adding some speed increase ability.

All the latest 2D vanias before it had the ability to run faster whether it was through spells or equipment and even LOI had that 1 relic that lets you run faster.

So I hated that they did not put something in the game to make Hector run faster.

this are why CoD is more repetitive than LoI.
Currently Playing: Resident Evil 2 [N64]
Games Beaten This Year (2020): 20 Games

Offline KaZudra

• Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-04-Story Contest - 2nd Place Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #98 on: August 05, 2011, 09:57:56 PM »
Actually, I thought of a 3dvania that would be perfect!
Posting new Topic to discuss it.

"I ain't gonna let it get to me I'm just gonna let it get to me" -Knuckles

Offline Renonsgoods

• Combat Cross Trainer
  • Vampire Hunter
  • One needs gold even in hell these days
    • Awards
« Reply #99 on: August 05, 2011, 11:58:28 PM »
Gameplay wise CoD wasn't any better than LoI, but for whatever reason I did enjoy playing it more.  I guess all the crafting nonsense and innocent devil farming distracted me from the game's glaring design flaws in a way that its predecessor never managed. And while the story was alot weaker than Lament's, it was presented in a much more entertaining way.  Lastly...we at least got a proper Dracula battle at game's end.

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #100 on: August 06, 2011, 02:08:40 AM »
Curse is worse than LoI because for whatever reason he decided to use the Nano Breaker Engine.

Offline DarkPrinceAlucard

• The Dark Prince
  • Master Hunter
  • Your dark prince has arrived.
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Castle Modding
    • Awards
« Reply #101 on: August 06, 2011, 02:20:04 AM »
And as I pointed out above.

Making the levels and areas much more HUGE and repetitive then LOI didn't help it either.

Whats the point of making a game's level design much bigger and making the main character much slower?

Torcher perhaps?

Castlevania Modding Forum http://castlevaniamodding.boards.net/

Offline Claimh Solais

• Ronove the Radical
  • Master Hunter
  • GO FIGHT!!
  • Awards The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Claimh Solais
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #102 on: August 06, 2011, 03:36:21 AM »
And as I pointed out above.

Making the levels and areas much more HUGE and repetitive then LOI didn't help it either.

Whats the point of making a game's level design much bigger and making the main character much slower?

Torcher perhaps?

It's so the game lasts longer. Har har~
Currently Playing: Resident Evil 2 [N64]
Games Beaten This Year (2020): 20 Games

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #103 on: August 06, 2011, 09:48:52 AM »
fyi Hector has a dodge/roll technique that could speed him up, i used it all the time & he becomes faster than his standard run, so that was never an issue for me ;p

I still believe that had Curse of Darkness used MercurySteam's engine (sans the wall shimmying), it would've been one of the best CV games ever.. unyuu~

Offline thernz

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #104 on: August 06, 2011, 10:20:28 AM »
The engines for both LoI and CoD were pretty damn clunky. LoI just had the benefit of nice animations to hide that, and CoD just randomly removed the flourishes that made LoI seem more polished. Well, LoI had better physics too. I don't think the engines could've handled decent level design with rough terrain, tiers, etc. that well. 'Course, I would've still preferred that to flat squares and hallways.
But the jumping in LoS is actually more floaty than both LoI and CoD so everything is terrible.

we should make a redesign loi levels thread
« Last Edit: August 06, 2011, 10:30:55 AM by thernz »

Tags: