Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Operation Akumajo preparing for Konami Campaign 9/26/11  (Read 47444 times)

Offline thernz

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
Re: Operation Akumajo preparing for Konami Campaign 9/26/11
« Reply #75 on: September 17, 2011, 01:49:55 PM »
Hasn't Hodespair already garnered a fair amount of success anyway? I remember it being one of the top downloaded titles on XBL for a month or two. And IGA said the game received an award a few days ago for being one of the Greatest Hits in Japan.

Offline Odile Kuronuma

• I'm ze man errr.... woman
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #76 on: September 17, 2011, 03:42:51 PM »
Kinda' funny, I guess. The truth of the matter is that making a quality game is more-so a matter of creativity than it is money. Case in point - Cave Story, which is one of the best Metroidvania styled games around, and it was probably made by just some guy in a bedroom. 

I agree with your idea about outsourcing. Konami should let people who want to make 2D games and have fresh ideas for them have a crack at Castlevania, and then Konami can use their marketing muscle and funding to support them. I actually wouldn't mind seeing IGA again, after what he did with Order of Ecclesia. Sans the recycled sprites, that is a top, top quality game. He, unfortunately was never given the chance to follow it up with a serious Castlevania game. I think he still has it in him to make great 2D games. The guy did make Symphony of the Night, Aria of Sorrow, and Order of Ecclesia, and I think those are games that are pretty hard to reasonably deny.
You know what could be great? IGA working with the guys at Vanillaware. He's good at coming up with gameplay ideas, and they have the best  2D graphics. They're also good in the story department. 
I'm pretty sure they could do a wonderful job together, and give a new breath to the series.

Offline Successor The Cruel

• In brightest day, in blackest night, no evil shall escape my sight. Let those who worship evil's might...
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Beware my Power! Green Lantern's Light!
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Chapel of Resonance
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #77 on: September 17, 2011, 09:26:49 PM »
You know what could be great? IGA working with the guys at Vanillaware.   
I'm pretty sure they could do a wonderful job together, and give a new breath to the series.

Yeah, I'm sure they would.

Anyway, Cecil-Kain, you need to listen to what other people are telling you and not just go off and do your own thing regardless of what they say, because if you do that, you are sure to lose. I don't think any defense you make for your reasons is going to bring many people around to your way of thinking. If you want people to get behind you, you need to listen to what they're telling you. This seems like it's a community oriented thing, or at least you'd like it to be. One guy who decides all policy and then makes foolhardy moves despite people telling him to do something else isn't going to do much good. Just ask Hitler's Generals. They'll tell you the same thing.

« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 09:44:06 PM by Successor The Red »

Offline cecil-kain

• Lord and Host
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Operation Akumajo
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #78 on: September 18, 2011, 10:52:04 AM »
Yeah, I'm sure they would.

Anyway, Cecil-Kain, you need to listen to what other people are telling you and not just go off and do your own thing regardless of what they say, because if you do that, you are sure to lose. I don't think any defense you make for your reasons is going to bring many people around to your way of thinking. If you want people to get behind you, you need to listen to what they're telling you. This seems like it's a community oriented thing, or at least you'd like it to be. One guy who decides all policy and then makes foolhardy moves despite people telling him to do something else isn't going to do much good. Just ask Hitler's Generals. They'll tell you the same thing.

Successor, even though I haven't found the time to respond to every single post 24/7 --I have been engaged and following these discussions.  I'm taking notes and even reconsidering a few things (for unity and appeal if nothing else)  Just because you're not seeing immediate results, that doesn't mean I'm brushing aside opinions or advice.  In fact, several changes have already been made since the founding --I just don't make a point of broadcasting every single tweak.

We obviously disagree on strategy, but I can tell you're rooting for the cause on some level...  Like many of our fellow dungeonites, you seem to be abstaining from Operation Akumajo because it doesn't fit your views 100%.  The implication being, if I can't give you 100% of what you want --or everyone else in the fanbase 100% of what they want --the effort just isn't worthy of your time or support.  Is there too much Cecil Kain in Operation Akumajo?  Yes, there probably is.  An unfortunate result of building so much of this by myself.  Have I made some mistakes?  Sure.  Hindsight is 20/20 and nobody has my back --unfortunately some things simply can't be undone, and so we move on.

I really like your council idea, and I'd love to see some of my fellow dungeonites stepping up to offer their leadership and vision to really push the movement forward.  But the fact is that only one person has approached me and put their name forward to join such a council --and it wasn't even you.  I can tell you're a passionate fan, and that's certainly the mark of a good leader --but so too are respect and trust.  And as much as I'd like to invite you, I'm sad to say that comparison to Hitler has completely destroyed your credibility.  :-\

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #79 on: September 18, 2011, 01:17:43 PM »
And as much as I'd like to invite you, I'm sad to say that comparison to Hitler has completely destroyed your credibility.

That man isn't Adolf Hitler. That, and his uniform looks British, not German. But yeah I can agree that if someone compares you to another person they lose a severe amount of credibility. Life is like a double-edged sword; don't cut unless you're prepared to be cut.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Profbeanburrito

• Vampire Killer
  • Master Hunter
  • The Mask is a powerful device...
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #80 on: September 18, 2011, 01:22:14 PM »
I think what's going to happen with this whole Operation:Akumajo thing, is that konami already has something planned and is going to announce it sometime soon its just not ready yet, and everyone involved in Operation:Akumajo is going to gloat and try to take credit for it even though, in reality, they had nothing to do with it
What a horrible night to have a curse!

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #81 on: September 18, 2011, 02:11:06 PM »
Well they DID say they were planning something.

I think we might have to wait a bit before we do anything. Patience is a virtue, and we dont know WHAT they are planning. It could be a game, or it could be anything else. Artbook, Anime, Manga/Comic, merchandise in general, etc.

We should hold out on the WE WANT ANNIVERSARY NAO. untill we have SOME knowledge on what they are planning. Or shit focus to the other stuff.
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline KaZudra

• Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-04-Story Contest - 2nd Place Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #82 on: September 18, 2011, 02:49:14 PM »

I think we might have to wait a bit before we do anything. Patience is a virtue, and we dont know WHAT they are planning. It could be a game, or it could be anything else. Artbook, Anime, Manga/Comic, merchandise in general, etc.

We should hold out on the WE WANT ANNIVERSARY NAO. untill we have SOME knowledge on what they are planning. Or shit focus to the other stuff.

Patients? Most of these people want their annual/biannual Game Schedule back and too ashamed to admit it.

"I ain't gonna let it get to me I'm just gonna let it get to me" -Knuckles

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #83 on: September 18, 2011, 03:34:11 PM »

Konami never confirmed anything, all we have to go on is that tidbit from the relyonhorror website and no one has followed up on it since/knows if it's a reliable source.

Offline C Belmont

• Vampire Hunter
  • Awards 2016-02 Sprite Contest 3rd Place 2014-12-Quarterly 3D Contest 1st Place Award The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #84 on: September 18, 2011, 04:42:34 PM »
Most of these people want their annual/biannual Game Schedule back and too ashamed to admit it.
I think it's more likely that they are just very anxious to see some indication from Konami of what Castlevania's future will be like

Offline shelverton.

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention.
    • Awards
« Reply #85 on: September 18, 2011, 04:46:48 PM »
Here's what Konami should be doing;

On the 26th they announce Castlevania 5. WIN!

In glorious 16-bit. I think most of us would be able to forgive them for not having the goods ready at the exact date. The announcement itself would be epic enough, IMO.

Offline KaZudra

• Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-04-Story Contest - 2nd Place Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #86 on: September 18, 2011, 04:49:19 PM »
I think it's more likely that they are just very anxious to see some indication from Konami of what Castlevania's future will be like
http://www.next-gen.biz/opinion/opinion-why-videogame-series-shouldnt-be-annualised

Maybe Konami is actually taking thier time this go around.

Here's what Konami should be doing;

On the 26th they announce Castlevania 5. WIN!

In glorious 16-bit. I think most of us would be able to forgive them for not having the goods ready at the exact date. The announcement itself would be epic enough, IMO.

.....you mean a real 4?

"I ain't gonna let it get to me I'm just gonna let it get to me" -Knuckles

Offline shelverton.

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention.
    • Awards
« Reply #87 on: September 18, 2011, 05:19:02 PM »
.....you mean a real 4?

Super Castlevania 4 is not a "real 4" to you? I guess it isn't, but it's too late to change that now. The next numerical entry would have to be 5, even if SCV4 really should've been called just "Super Castlevania", in my opinion.

Offline cecil-kain

• Lord and Host
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Operation Akumajo
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #88 on: September 18, 2011, 05:51:44 PM »
I agree with Flame. I can't fully get behind Operation Akumajo because I don't feel like it represents me as a Castlevania fan (especially after urging everyone to buy HD, whether they agree with the game or not). And that's its problem with a lot of people, I think. It's taking stances that are just too divisive, and its numbers are suffering because of it. I think if it took a more basic stance in its aim, it would be much more succesful.

Look at the anniversary, for instance. Operation Akumajo could focus on only the anniversary (after it comes and goes with no acknowledgement from Konami, of course), and it would be much stronger for it. Celebrating the series 25th is something that nearly every fan can get behind. If Konami does something for the anniversary, then Operation Akumajo could focus on a different issue. But things like denying 3D, demanding a Demon Castle Wars or new CVIII game, or urging everyone to buy HD will only hinder potential support, IMO. The number of people who support this thing desperately needs to grow, and finding out how to get universal support from fans should probably be of utmost priority.

The Anniversary looks like a bust no matter what, so the short term focus with the Tribute that's coming up is to help raise awareness, and then use that awareness as leverage for the long term goals like Demon Castle War and Dracula's Curse Chronicles.

It's a two way street.  The fanbase is just too divided.  The game series has been all over the map, which is the biggest problem.  You have people rallying for old school platforming, those rallying for the metroidvanias, there's actually quite a large fan base that likes HoD, those that like the 3D non-LoS installments, and finally those that like LoS.  And these groups can then be broken down even more into other sub-groups.  If you're going to claim that those 200 don't represent the fan base, that same finger needs to be pointed back at you, and all others.

I disagree that sitting on our asses, complaining and not supporting Konami is a sensible solution.  It just means we'll get more LoS in the future.  If you absolutely, positively, hate HoD with every burning fibre, then support Rebirth, and other similar offerings.  People have been tossing "we the fan base" around so much in this thread, but it means absolutely nothing.  There is no fan base, because we can't even agree on what Castlevania is or means to everyone, because it means something different to everyone.

This.

What if Lords of Shadow 2 bombs?

I hope it doesn't.  I've said since the beginning that boycotts are not the way to go, because Konami won't look at the situation for the protest it is --they're just gonna think of Castlevania as a bad investment.  With that said, I wouldn't encourage anyone to buy LoS2 either --it's not even close to the kind of game the operation stands for.  HD on the other hand is at least a 2-D game...

All I want is for Konami to atleast once attempt creating a 2D castlevania on par with the other modern 2D games being developed (i.e Bloodrayne:Betrayal, Rayman Origins and Dragons Crown)

If such a game were to be made and it flopped then I'd be willing to accept that Castlevania in 2D will never sell as well as Konami wants it to, but currently all they have done is recycle low res sprites (even on next gen consoles) & sit there wondering why modern gamers aren't biting when it's painfully obvious why.

This.

It's funny how a small company like Vanillaware is able to make such quality 2D games. They don't have big budgets, and i read somewhere that they funded the development for  Muramasa off the royalties they received for Odin Sphere. 
If Konami wants to make 2D games in the future, they should outsource it to a small company. I understand why big game companies don't like to invest in 2D. It's too risky.Most gamers prefer 3D nowadays. And let's be honest, a 2D game will never have a big budget like a 3D one.
Imo it's better to outsource it to a small company who makes that kind of game, with a reasonable budget(not too big not too small). If it sells well, they'll get the profit from it. If it doesn't, it won't be a big loss since they didn't give a big budget to begin with. And if we're lucky maybe they'll choose Vanillaware or some other company  to make these games. There will be no more recycled sprites, and we'll finally get some real  HD 2D graphics.

Nothing wrong with a 3rd party stepping in --just as long as they understand what Castlevania is all about, instead of trying to reinvent it beyond recognition.  To this day, I'm still amazed how Retro Studios handled Metroid --and essentially beat Nintendo at their own game.  I'd be tickled pink to see Konami shamed by an upstart company that knows how to get the job done.  :-D

OKAY.

Cecil Kain, lets do this:

For now, simply have the campaign focus on 2 things. The Anniversary, and the 2D franchise. You can have those two focuses because the Anniversary one is all encompassing. And you need to make the argument sound sincere and from the heart, not like demands on a ransom list.

those are specifically the two more important things right? The preservation of 2D, and the proper recognition of the Anniversary, or at least for SOME kind of hint to be given towards what they are planning, considering they said they were planning something.

And secondly; I ill advise your strategy of "showing support" by buying HD. All that will tell Konami is that you and the fans liked HD, and really want to see more. It makes no sense to support the franchise by buying a game you dont like. If you dont like it, dont buy it. Thats the strongest message you can give Konami. That the new direction taken by HD was not well received by the consumers.

The most important thing about the 25th Anniversary is just raising awareness --hardly anyone outside the core fanbase even seems to know about it.  I don't think IGN's published a single article --which is amazing considering all the free publicity they've given Mario, Zelda, and even Metroid...  I'm hoping the Anniversary Tribute I'm working will excite and inspire other fans to produce their own tributes and testimonials as part of a larger viral campaign.  This strategy is a less direct approach, but when combined with diligent email and facebook campaigns --we may be able to put some pressure on Konami.

As for HD.  I think I've pretty well covered my rationale for supporting it.  If you don't agree, then don't buy it.  Simple as that.  But again I ask --how else would you intend to entice a company motivated by profit?

List of Games to Purchase to Support the Cause:

XBLA
Castlevania - Harmony of Despair
Castlevania - Symphony of the Night

PSN
Castlevania - Harmony of Despair
Castlevania - Symphony of the Night
Castlevania Chronicles

Wii Virtual Console \ WiiWare
Castlevania: The Adventure ReBirth
Castlevania
Castlevania II - Simon's Quest
Castlevania III - Dracula's Curse
Castlevania Dracula X: Rondo of Blood
Super Castlevania IV

Not to Mention Nintendo Online Can Allow you to buy NEW Castlevania DS games Online
Other Various Online Retailers also sell games New.

Buying games New is Important, the money goes to the Devs and its basically talking to the directly.
HD may not be a crowd favorite, but its at least a 2D-vania.

I really should have put that list up with my first post.  Thank-you.

Offline DragonSlayr81

• The Beast Inside
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #89 on: September 18, 2011, 06:28:28 PM »
I think what's going to happen with this whole Operation:Akumajo thing, is that konami already has something planned and is going to announce it sometime soon its just not ready yet, and everyone involved in Operation:Akumajo is going to gloat and try to take credit for it even though, in reality, they had nothing to do with it
Or, Konami has NOTHING planned, and even though Operation: Akumajo goes underway, Konami could frankly care less about a few fans. let alone the CV series and it's anniversary. Right now, getting the HD collection of MGS and ZOE are the priority. Konami: "Castlevania what?". "Hey, you want a present for CV's anniversary? Have an HD collection of MGS and ZOE!!! That's good enough for you!".

Tags: