Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Opinions about Castlevania Chronicles/Akumajo Dracula X68000?  (Read 6960 times)

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
Re: Opinions about Castlevania Chronicles/Akumajo Dracula X68000?
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2014, 01:10:04 AM »
Does anyone know if the PSX version's Original Mode keeps all the effects that happen on each consecutive loop?

Yes, the game keeps adding more stuff until the 8th loop. For example, there's a certain section in stage 4 where you fight a single Peeping Eye. By the 8th loop there like six of them.

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2014, 03:13:53 PM »
I love this game. Weirdly enough, I don't think I ever did the loops, and it doesn't help that each time I've played the game lately, it's been on different formats.

Great design, fairly tough, wonderful music, good graphics. It makes me think of what Castlevania IV would have been like if it retained some of the old school design, strategy, and toughness. That doesn't make it a better game by any means, but it's a nice alternative. Rondo of Blood was the game to advance the formula that same year.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline LuxKiller65

• Vampire Hunter
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • My YouTube Channel
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania 64 (N64)
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2014, 07:36:30 AM »
I was wonder if the two teams shared assets amongst each other?

There was an interview (was it a taken from a guidebook?) posted here some time ago where it was mentioned that the PCE episode and the X68000 episode were developed in parallel, by two different teams.

I loved this game a lot and played up to the eighth loop. Not much changes except for some enemy speed, quantity and positioning. Oh and the famous bone dragon which kills you in 2 hits (or was it 1?).

The sad thing if you play the PS version is that you never get to see the clock matching your X68000's time during the werewolf fight, and the four-seasons wallpaper right before Death. Must have been a real surprise to see the wallpaper change depending on when you played the game. Not sure if there are other things which change depending on the date and time...?

Offline Anglachel

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Circle of the Moon (GBA)
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2014, 11:09:39 AM »
I enjoyed it a lot. It's nice to have considering I don't have an NES nor do I want to bother with emulators. Love the soundtrack and the artwork. Atmosphere is great too.

Now gimme Dracula X Chronicles for PS3. I'm still waiting.

"There are no rules of architecture for a castle in the clouds." - G.K. Chesterton

Tags:

anything