Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: "The Dragon Returns" - Castlevania Lords of Shadow Sequel (HERE BE SPOILER INFO)  (Read 2378392 times)

Offline Ahasverus

• Just a long slumber
  • Master Hunter
  • Wandering on horizon road
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
I just want /something/ I simply can't wait 4 years for a new Castlevania.

Everything comes full circle

Offline Viskod

• Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
Order of Ecclesia was the last thing he worked on right? That was 6 years ago. Whatever happens next I hope we still play as Dracula, seems no fun going back to the same ol' same ol' already, and Soma doesn't count.

Maybe you'll luck out Ahasverus and the next game will be for the 3DS and come out in just 1 or 2 years.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 01:28:27 PM by Viskod »

Offline Kingshango

• Crisis's retired back up dancer.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
Ok I've barred my doors and window's and I have an imaginary Mossberg for whatever mechanical ninja comes through.

Even after all of what was posted about the studio's internal issues, I still like the game, even moreso than the last but it's disheartening to hear about what the LOS saga as a whole could have been if it weren't for the over excessive meddling, especially LOS2.

They're definitely some talent over there at Mercurysteam but to hear them being held back by one man's ego is sad.

Offline Dremn

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
I just want /something/ I simply can't wait 4 years for a new Castlevania.
All good things take time.

I think a break would be wise for the brand. I'd rather Konami research and plan out their next strategy instead of rushing another game out, but then again they are a business so you might just get your wish.

Practically all of my favorite franchises are either dead or have been beaten to death by the problems of current and last gen, I would hate to see Castlevania join the obituaries too.
They're definitely some talent over there at Mercurysteam but to hear them being held back by one man's ego is sad.
Wish the money I have put towards that artbook would go to the talented artists, they deserve it. I said it a gorillian times and I'll say it again, say what you want about the gameplay and everything else about LoS but the art direction is just too fucking good.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 01:34:57 PM by OSM »

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
i always felt that to close the canon timeline proper, they should release 3 games on the 3DS

the first being 1897, aka "Bram Stoker's Castlevania"
the second, i dunno, a game starring Soleiyu perhaps? or a game that takes place between loi & cviii? or just a cviii remake
lastly, 1999

Offline DragonSlayr81

• The Beast Inside
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
Another day and I could play 2 hours. Here's my review of where I am currently.

(click to show/hide)
Man that death...
(click to show/hide)

Offline DragonSlayr81

• The Beast Inside
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
Order of Ecclesia was the last thing he worked on right? That was 6 years ago. Whatever happens next I hope we still play as Dracula, seems no fun going back to the same ol' same ol' already, and Soma doesn't count.
Maybe you'll luck out Ahasverus and the next game will be for the 3DS and come out in just 1 or 2 years.
The only reason they chose to focus on Dracula for LoS was because they never focused on him before. LoS was to be MAINLY the "Dracula story" and that's concluded. Why continue to play as Dracula? That's like saying, "Fuck Link, let's just make the LoZ series, from here on out, be ONLY about playing as Ganon/Ganondorf!". Besides, fun is what you make of it. As long as the characters are engaging and the gameplay is good, it really doesn't matter WHO you play as.

Personally, like I said before, I'd love a focus on both. Maybe a more family dynamic(give Dracula a family, like his brothers Mircea and Radu). Maybe make family a main theme(very Game of Throne-ish in that regards, House versus House). Have the new CVs focus on not only the Belmont clan and Dracula(and his family), but also the Belnades, the Danasty clan, maybe even the Bernhards(bring them back as rivals to Dracula and his family). I think there's some crazy cool things you can do by exploring all that instead of just skimming over it(like the original canon) or focusing solely on one character(LoS). It's also something that would lend itself nicely to historical progression, and span centuries telling the story(again, not skimming over it, but giving depth to the Belmonts who against Dracula and his cursed family).

Offline Gamermeister

• Hunter in Training
    • Gamermeister Youtube Channel
    • Awards
Beat the game. I really only have one BIG gripe:

(click to show/hide)

Beyond that, fun game. Plus 1 whole bonus point for

(click to show/hide)

Offline e105beta

• Shafted
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2015-03-Sprite Contest 3rd Place The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate (N3DS)
Beat the game. I really only have one BIG gripe:

(click to show/hide)

Beyond that, fun game. Plus 1 whole bonus point for

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

Offline Viskod

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
The only reason they chose to focus on Dracula for LoS was because they never focused on him before. LoS was to be MAINLY the "Dracula story" and that's concluded. Why continue to play as Dracula? That's like saying, "Fuck Link, let's just make the LoZ series, from here on out, be ONLY about playing as Ganon/Ganondorf!". Besides, fun is what you make of it. As long as the characters are engaging and the gameplay is good, it really doesn't matter WHO you play as.

Personally, like I said before, I'd love a focus on both. Maybe a more family dynamic(give Dracula a family, like his brothers Mircea and Radu). Maybe make family a main theme(very Game of Throne-ish in that regards, House versus House). Have the new CVs focus on not only the Belmont clan and Dracula(and his family), but also the Belnades, the Danasty clan, maybe even the Bernhards(bring them back as rivals to Dracula and his family). I think there's some crazy cool things you can do by exploring all that instead of just skimming over it(like the original canon) or focusing solely on one character(LoS). It's also something that would lend itself nicely to historical progression, and span centuries telling the story(again, not skimming over it, but giving depth to the Belmonts who against Dracula and his cursed family).

I never said make the franchise about him and Zelda has never had a game focus on Gannondorf so it wouldn't be like that at all and is not a valid comparison.

Playing as Dracula in LoS2 was really fun, I just think that only getting one game like that in nearly three decades is kind of a shame and one or two more wouldn't hurt.

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
(click to show/hide)

Offline Mike Belmont

• Castlevania Fan since 1995
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
I never said make the franchise about him and Zelda has never had a game focus on Gannondorf so it wouldn't be like that at all and is not a valid comparison.

Playing as Dracula in LoS2 was really fun, I just think that only getting one game like that in nearly three decades is kind of a shame and one or two more wouldn't hurt.

Maybe is the fact that Dracula was the main antagonist since the first Castlevania, with the exception of Aria and Dawn (you know who is Soma). As for a Dracula´s story, I had enough with the LoS games. I want to be the vampire hunter again...

i always felt that to close the canon timeline proper, they should release 3 games on the 3DS

the second, i dunno, a game starring Soleiyu perhaps? or a game that takes place between loi & cviii? or just a cviii remake
lastly, 1999

I vote for a Dracula´s Curse Chronicles, with the original game (with saving feature) and a remake. 2D is okay, but I am fine with a 2.5 D like Dracula X Chronicles or Mirror of Fate. Not a metroidvania, please, just a classic game, with different paths, like in CVIII. That´s why is my favorite game :). (I know that Rondo of Blood has too, but I like it more CVIII)
"This whip, and my kinsmen will destroy you some day. From this day on, the Belmont clan will hunt the night"

Offline Shinobi

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
lastly, 1999

I don't think Bram Stoker's novel was supposed to be canon in Castlevania storyline, Only the US version of Bloodlines use it as a backstory for the game. Someone posted a translation from the manual of japanese version of Bloodlines(Vampire Killer) and nothing written or mentioned about Bram Stoker's novel but something about Elizabeth's involvement for the assassination of a queen, Quincy Morris may have nothing to do for killing Dracula before his son does but only mentioned his name and that's it.

Neither of those 3 you've mentioned will be a proper closure for castlevania timeline since we already have one and that was the Sorrow games which sets in the latest era, they are nothing more but fillers.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 03:47:58 PM by Shinobi »

Offline Mike Belmont

• Castlevania Fan since 1995
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
I don't think Bram Stoker's novel was supposed to be canon in Castlevania storyline, Only the US version of Bloodlines use it as a backstory for the game. Someone posted a translation from the manual of japanese version of Bloodlines(Vampire Killer) and nothing written or mentioned about Bram Stoker's novel but something about Elizabeth's involvement for the assassination of a queen, Quincy Morris may have nothing to do for killing Dracula before his son does but only mentioned his name and that's it.

Neither of those 3 you've mentioned will be a proper closure for castlevania timeline since we already have one and that was the Sorrow games which sets in the latest era, they are nothing more but fillers.

I though that Elizabeth was involved in the death of Franz Ferdinand, heir to the Austrian-Hungary empire, the reason to the World War I began, isn´t?

But agree, that the story of Braham Stoker does not feel in the canon at all, only for the Morris name.
"This whip, and my kinsmen will destroy you some day. From this day on, the Belmont clan will hunt the night"

Offline Shinobi

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
I just reread the translation from the japanese manual and Quincy Morris did killed Dracula before his son does sorry, but nothing mentioned how he killed Dracula, maybe he used Vampire Killer instead of a knife like the novel does? :rollseyes: Also the japanese manual never mentioned that John Morriss and Eric Lecarde was there as a witness.