Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: "The Dragon Returns" - Castlevania Lords of Shadow Sequel (HERE BE SPOILER INFO)  (Read 2378502 times)

Offline jestercolony

• Slow Silence
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
So, I finished LoS2 this morning and I wish to give it my thoughts without the use of spoilers -

After waiting four years and have only pre-ordered the game a year ago, I for one was happy to sit down and play the game. But sadly, not all was what I thought it was out to be. First off, the game itself was hyped to hell by Konami/MS over their FB...etc. But as some remember, I wrote the original combat guide for the first LoS, but took it offline on gamefaqs (I no longer publish guides because I've honestly become very lazy in writing FAQs and keeping up to date with the current ones I made, so I pulled them.)

Combat itself - the system itself is basically the same as in LoS1, the only issue is I feel that combat is a little bit more lagged and the camera system makes it somewhat harder for some abilities to be properly done. It angers me slightly that Gabriel/Dracula does not have his original move set from the original game. Of course, the new abilities are nice, but it would of been a more sweet transition if we had been given the original moves. It also angered me that upon getting the double jump ability, that it lacks it's combos that where originally in the first game. The master system may increase your damage output, but if one goes into the game knowing what to expect and what to do, the system itself is obsolete.  The stealth segments in the game weren't that bad, besides one part, which I will not get into. But in reality, the stealth should of been reworked and should of allowed us to have a move set and abilities (stealth finishers/different animal forms...etc) that would allow us to easily get through certain areas. There is really nothing "RPG" about this title.

Exploration - Given the fact the game is supposedly "bigger" than the first is rubbish. I completed the game in less than 8 hours and the fact remains that it doesn't 'feel' that big. Someone mentioned earlier in the forums that they called this one "SoTN 2.0". Sorry, but it isn't. The exploration element wasn't even all that grand as it was hyped up to be from Konami/MS on FB. I never found myself lost once and I find that nevigation through the castle and the city has significant flaws and the areas felt as if they had no charm. I admit, some places looked cool than others, but overall I feel the game was rushed, even though it took them four years to make it.

Music - The music itself is alright. I can't really comment too much on it without getting technical.

Overall -

The game itself was alright, sadly there was still a lot more that could have been explained and a few things could have shown up to make the game itself connect to the last two games. The ending itself pissed me off, I wasn't happy about it. It didn't truly feel like a climatic ending. The bosses themselves did not prove a challenge to me (I played on the Lord of Shadow setting mind you.) But it did feel good to get rid of a certain foe.

Overall Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 is alright, but it pales compared to the first game. Combat did not feel faster, or tigher, it actually felt laggy.  So would I suggest fans to get this game? Sure why not, but don't let your hopes get to you. This game could have been the ultimate vampire type game, if it was given more time and polish. But I guess we'll wait and see with DLC.

This was just a lay down from a fan who has been with the series since the original NES release.

(:

fin

Offline e105beta

• Shafted
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2015-03-Sprite Contest 3rd Place The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate (N3DS)
Re: "The Dragon Returns" - Castlevania Lords of Shadow Sequel (HERE BE SPOILER I
« Reply #7456 on: February 27, 2014, 09:54:57 AM »

It's in spanish so im gonna have to translate it via Google, I'll pm it once it's ready.

Add me to the PM please

Offline beingthehero

• Duke of New York
  • Master Hunter
  • EROTIC VIOLENCE
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
Same here, bubba

Offline Viskod

• Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
How about
(click to show/hide)
Everything was going to hell in a handbasket and I was still trying to be sneaky

It's smarter to avoid walking directly into gunfire from a giant hell shooting cannon in a tightly enclose space?

I would also like a PM of the development info, if you don't mind.

Offline Ahasverus

• Just a long slumber
  • Master Hunter
  • Wandering on horizon road
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
Re: "The Dragon Returns" - Castlevania Lords of Shadow Sequel (HERE BE SPOILER I
« Reply #7459 on: February 27, 2014, 10:05:45 AM »

It's in spanish so im gonna have to translate it via Google, I'll pm it once it's ready.
Give it to me, I'll trnaslate it in no time.

Everything comes full circle

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
OMG just post the super-secret info here in spoiler tags!!! sheesh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! >:( >:( >:(

Offline e105beta

• Shafted
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2015-03-Sprite Contest 3rd Place The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
It's smarter to avoid walking directly into gunfire from a giant hell shooting cannon in a tightly enclose space?

I would also like a PM of the development info, if you don't mind.

Eh, I just don't see it. Dodge it and smack his shit up like everyone else.

Really, though, this is like my only beef with the game. I'm absolutely loving this and I think it's a shame it's getting mediocre reviews.

But as long as I get my Alucard DLC, my Victor DLC, and maybe ending DLC, I'll be happy.

Offline Ahasverus

• Just a long slumber
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
Oh ok, I can... see that. That was certainly the impression lately. It's a completely different person than from the pre-LoS times, and it seems it's all his baby, his all perfect baby. Yeah, Molyneux comes to mind.

Offline Dremn

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
Oh ok, I can... see that. That was certainly the impression lately. It's a completely different person than from the pre-LoS times, and it seems it's all his baby, his all perfect baby. Yeah, Molyneux comes to mind.
Hoo boy.

Offline beingthehero

• Duke of New York
  • Master Hunter
  • EROTIC VIOLENCE
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
Can you give a quick summary and just pm the whole thing later?

Offline Ahasverus

• Just a long slumber
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
Hoo boy.
"There's nothing wrong with Agreus' section! It's just that these days playing using your brain is out of fashion" - Actual quote.

Offline Kingshango

• Crisis's retired back up dancer.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #7466 on: February 27, 2014, 10:18:00 AM »
+3
Here it is in full. due to popular demand (and Crisis yelling at me)

Part 1

(click to show/hide)

Part 2
(click to show/hide)

Part 3
(click to show/hide)

Finale
(click to show/hide)

Offline Viskod

• Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
Eh, I just don't see it. Dodge it and smack his shit up like everyone else.

Really, though, this is like my only beef with the game. I'm absolutely loving this and I think it's a shame it's getting mediocre reviews.

But as long as I get my Alucard DLC, my Victor DLC, and maybe ending DLC, I'll be happy.

Well you just have to be open to the possibility that Dracula isn't all powerful anymore. These are giant hulking supernatural guards with supernatural weapons that combine magic and science and that being blasted by that stuff could do serious damage to a vampire. Its not like those are just any old guns like the ones the possessed citizens and the soldiers use.

I wish Possession was able to be used in combat on large enemies like how you could grapple and control the Wargs and Trolls of LoS1. I'd do that all the time.

Offline e105beta

• Shafted
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
"There's nothing wrong with Agreus' section! It's just that these days playing using your brain is out of fashion" - Actual quote.

To be fair, IMO, there is nothing wrong with the Agreus section. It took me like 5 minutes.

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
Is there a not google translate version coming? I'm not sure exactly what hes saying there half the time.

anything