Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: "The Dragon Returns" - Castlevania Lords of Shadow Sequel (HERE BE SPOILER INFO)  (Read 2399534 times)

Offline Anglachel

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Circle of the Moon (GBA)
I really wanted Victor to do a "Grand Cross" move, like what Julius does. He holds up his combat cross, combines light magic into it, and then begins to hover as the cross releases the holiest light into the cathedral.

Something else I noticed about the story is that I never found myself being conflicted with whether to root for or be against Dracula. Most of the time he was just being a lap dog for Zobek or Trevor.
"There are no rules of architecture for a castle in the clouds." - G.K. Chesterton

Offline darkwzrd4

• All Powerful Spellcaster
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
I really wanted Victor to do a "Grand Cross" move, like what Julius does. He holds up his combat cross, combines light magic into it, and then begins to hover as the cross releases the holiest light into the cathedral.

Something else I noticed about the story is that I never found myself being conflicted with whether to root for or be against Dracula. Most of the time he was just being a lap dog for Zobek or Trevor.
That's because he isn't at full power until the very end and that his memories are fragmented. It's only after repairing the mirror of fate that he is back at full power and remembers everything. But, yes I do see what you mean. I would have liked to see him tearing through enemies hunting down the acolytes and owning Satan on his own without any help from anyone only to be killed for good at the end by either Trevorcard or the current Belmont in the Brotherhood of Light (Victor).

But, things didn't turn out that way because Cox is a damned liar and Mercurysteam sucks!!!
Behold my power and tremble

Offline Anglachel

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
I just don't remember ever thinking about how I didn't like Dracula' actions. I just didn't care! I thought that he was going to be terrorizing civilians en masse, declaring the return of the dragon and how they should all fear their deaths.

As for the city, I wish that the city would have been designed like the epilogue city from the first game, with the brightly lit neon windows and the skyscrapers. It certainly wouldn't have been boring, and there's probably some gothic architecture that could work with it. 
"There are no rules of architecture for a castle in the clouds." - G.K. Chesterton

Offline Anglachel

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
You know, it's so strange watching the epilogue of the first game after playing through the second. The epilogue feels like it's part of another game, not the Lords of Shadow 2 we got. The epilogue is so brilliant and shocking, and Lords of Shadow 2 just does not make sense of the epilogue. It's sad, really.

Offline Somacula

• Hunter in Training
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
I just don't remember ever thinking about how I didn't like Dracula' actions. I just didn't care! I thought that he was going to be terrorizing civilians en masse, declaring the return of the dragon and how they should all fear their deaths.

As for the city, I wish that the city would have been designed like the epilogue city from the first game, with the brightly lit neon windows and the skyscrapers. It certainly wouldn't have been boring, and there's probably some gothic architecture that could work with it.

The VGA trailer was particularly misleading when it came to this. The trailers made it seem like Dracula was actually out for vengeance for what was done to him, even if it takes him an eternity. Of course, see none of this in the game. I really liked the idea of Dracula stalking the acolytes and taking them down one by one, showing them why Dracul should be feared and giving them a reason to hurry up daddy's little summoning ritual. I also expected sections of him forcing his own castle's blood into submission and getting back the loyalty of his troops as a result, as being the true master of the castle. Cutscenes of skirmishes between Satan's demons and Dracula's monsters would have been phenomenal.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 06:34:02 PM by Somacula »

Offline Anglachel

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
The VGA trailer did give me chills. It's a trailer that felt very "cold." And what happened to that speech that Dracula gives? Of course, in the game, he clearly does remember who he is, and doesn't ever come across as wanting to be back to power.

See, that's another thing about Lords of Shadow 2 that was wasted. We wake up in a modern world, probably exactly like our own. Imagine today, in the real world, if things like werewolves, demons, goblins, creatures of the night suddenly emerged in our world. It would have brought SO MUCH to the story to see the world reacting to these supposed myths, old wives tales, legends actually suddenly coming TRUE! And the return of the Dragon! Humanity should find itself facing ruin AGAIN (Just like Zobek said in the intro to the first game.) as the Prince of Darkness, the Lord of Shadow who conquered the others, is REAL, is ALIVE, and is looking to get even with everyone!

Offline Maedhros

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
Except I don't think it's exactly a world like us... I think the existence of monsters/etc wasn't actually hidden from people.

Offline Somacula

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
It wasn't, but because of Drac's disappearance, everyone assumed that the Golden Paladin killed him. Oh, for the world to find out that the dragon was back would have overrun the chaos that the acolytes were trying to pull. In fact, it would have been great for Dracul's terror to completely overshadow Satan's. Satan could possibly even use that chaos and confusion to double-hijack the plot and say that that was his plan all along, so that he can get powered up even more by the time of the final battle. There could have been an entire dynamic where Dracula and Satan are fighting over whose influence is bigger while the rest of the world, not just one city, suffers for it and Alucard is forced to do something because his plan went way out of whack and so has to remind daddy dearest of the plan. It could have made for a good smack-in-the-head boss fight against Dracula using Alucard's MoF + Revelations move set before we regain control of the dragon again. Agh...the lost potential hurts and I should stop.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 08:40:57 PM by Somacula »

Offline Anglachel

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
The acolytes could have used Dracula's terror and return as a justification for why they needed to be in charge. They have the "solution" to Dracula's reign, that of their Lord (Satan) coming and wiping out the Dragon. It would be kinda like the anti-Christ.

Offline DragonSlayr81

• The Beast Inside
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
The acolytes could have used Dracula's terror and return as a justification for why they needed to be in charge. They have the "solution" to Dracula's reign, that of their Lord (Satan) coming and wiping out the Dragon. It would be kinda like the anti-Christ.
Interestingly enough, that's what Satan would do. The Great Schemer, the dark shadow that whispers convincing thoughts to lead people astray. Rhetoric so convincing that you'd never question it is wrong, even when it leads you by the neck down into depths of the pit. Satan(and his forces) wouldn't go for the direct approach. They'd taint the world and make it seem like their way is the justful way, and that Dracula is the evil one(who plans on destroying the world). I'd actually think that would've been an interesting take and a complete mindfuck. Make it so that Satan is portrayed as the hero to the people and wishes to help "save" the world from Dracula. Meh, might've been too much a concept for this version. Everything was so "direct". Dracula was direct, Satan was direct. Unlike the whole spiel about how the greatest trick the Devil performed was convincing the world he didn't exist, LoS's Satan is "Rawr! I'm muthafuckin SATAN!! Look at my buff evilness!!!"

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
The way they quickly killed off Humanity to replace them with stage enemies was stupid.

I really was not a fan of the apocalyptic scenery.

Darksiders did fucking AMAZING apocalyptic scenery. That was also 100 years AFTER the apocalypse, and hell had won it. So it gave them room to expand the concepts for the world.

But even then thats no excuse, they could have done better. Considering it was all about Hell rising and shit, you'd think they could have incorporated that into the world, like satanic structures rising out of the ground and becoming part of the architecture and shit like that, instead of ruined concrete building with steel girders #51298

I'll admit i did not expect an apocalypse scenario like this. At least not so early in the game. I expected to be hopping rooftops and back alleys while Humanity was initially unaware.
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline Anglachel

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
I'm always reminded of Final Fantasy II's Pandemonium architecture when I think of something like that. It had these very cool crystalline structures on the inside. Plus, imagine the irony. Instead of a Belmont climbing to the throne room to fight Dracula, Dracula has to climb to Satan's throne room to fight him.

Plus, Pandemonium music is too dope.
Final Fantasy II Anniversary Edition - Castle Pandaemonium [Extended]
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 07:35:33 AM by Anglachel »

Offline Kresnik

• Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Curse of Darkness (PS2/XBOX)
Interestingly enough, that's what Satan would do. The Great Schemer, the dark shadow that whispers convincing thoughts to lead people astray. Rhetoric so convincing that you'd never question it is wrong, even when it leads you by the neck down into depths of the pit. Satan(and his forces) wouldn't go for the direct approach. They'd taint the world and make it seem like their way is the justful way, and that Dracula is the evil one(who plans on destroying the world). I'd actually think that would've been an interesting take and a complete mindfuck. Make it so that Satan is portrayed as the hero to the people and wishes to help "save" the world from Dracula. Meh, might've been too much a concept for this version. Everything was so "direct". Dracula was direct, Satan was direct. Unlike the whole spiel about how the greatest trick the Devil performed was convincing the world he didn't exist, LoS's Satan is "Rawr! I'm muthafuckin SATAN!! Look at my buff evilness!!!"

^this, i rather have a satan like in the devil´s advocate, constantine or SMT, even Dante´s Inferno Satan was better

Offline Anglachel

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
^this, i rather have a satan like in the devil´s advocate, constantine or SMT, even Dante´s Inferno Satan was better

It reminds me of Sauron. In the books, Sauron is never seen, but everyone still feels his terror and they know that he is planning his war and takeover of Middle-Earth. He's sneaky, quiet, and methodical.

Offline Anglachel

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards

You would think that's what he would do after getting the tar beaten out of him 1000 years ago. He would figure that he needs to stay low, be like the serpent, offer mankind a seductive fruit for their lives. All they need to do is surrender their lives and their souls to the Prince of the power of the air, the ruler of this world.