Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Why is Sonia-chan so broken?  (Read 3447 times)

Offline Maedhros

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
« on: February 01, 2014, 09:08:44 PM »
I'm playing Castlevania Legends today (after finishing SCIV, which I have another rant to make, but for another topic).

Why is Sonia-chan so broken? She's the most broken Belmont ever. She can recover all her life and stop time without even using items. KCE Nagoya must be a group of fanboys of Sonia.

Also, why is the script so laughable? Holy crap, the dialog between Sonia and Alucard is so cheesy and funny!

They had the right mind while making a female Belmont... but the execution wasn't really that good. Maybe one day, Sonia Belmont will be a good character...

Offline Belmontoya

• Composer/ Voice Actor
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-09-Sprite Contest 3rd Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2014, 09:19:55 PM »
Broken? I don't remember her being that over powered. I actually remember Legends being kind of difficult.
I remember when Legends came out I thought it was the best gameboy Castlevania yet. Adventure and Belmont's Revenge were so damn slow paced that I really struggled to keep patience with those games. Legends at least lets you breath a little.

Playing Legends after SCV4 though... That sounds kind of painful.
The worst monsters are human.

Offline Maedhros

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2014, 09:47:10 PM »
Eeeh, Legends is pretty easy. In fact, with burst mode, which I forgot to mention, the game is a cakewalk.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2014, 09:47:51 PM »
Also, why is the script so laughable? Holy crap, the dialog between Sonia and Alucard is so cheesy and funny!

I can agree with this one. The script felt very rushed. It all happened so fast that it comes off as feeling.. well... 'off'. with the technology available at the time they could have crammed so much more into that GB cart that it might have made a difference. Sadly it never happened that way.

Why is Sonia-chan so broken? She's the most broken Belmont ever. She can recover all her life and stop time without even using items.

Sonia doesn't have access to the standard sub-weapons that the later Belmonts wield. You can collect the classic sub-weapons to unlock the hidden ending but that's all they are good for in that game. Instead Sonia is more of a Warrior/Sorceress Belmont then just your regular warrior Belmont. She uses magic along-side the Vampirekiller. Her stopping time is the same as the stopwatch sub-weapon and recovering her life would be a kin to the healing plant item in the Castlevania X68000 game. She also has the ability to temporarily become invincible too which, again, is the same thing as picking up the invincible potion in the later games. However it can only be used once per stage. Sonia isn't broken so much as she is just much more different then your standard Belmont character. There are times when playing through Legends the going got tough for me, even when I had access to all these abilities. Legends is not a hard game but it's not easy either.

They had the right mind while making a female Belmont... but the execution wasn't really that good. Maybe one day, Sonia Belmont will be a good character...

I agree that her character wasn't executed to the level it could have been, however to me Sonia is already a good character. Konami just never gave her the chance to be so.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Maedhros

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2014, 10:54:43 PM »
In none of the other Castlevania titles the character have access to all of these powers at any time they want, though. That's why it's so freaking broken. She's a walking cheat code.

I finished Legends today dying only ONCE. And I haven't played the game for years. She's too powerful. Even her whip is stronger than most of the whips on the series, as the power up don't cancel on hit.

I'm almost sure they made all these breaking game mechanics available because GB was a platform mostly made for kids and earlier teenagers.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 10:56:23 PM by Maedhros »

Offline shelverton.

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention.
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2014, 12:23:10 AM »
I don't remember Legends being easy. Though maybe it was? I was bored to death by it, that's all I remember. The levels were way too long. Most of the them should've been cut in half. The GB Castlevanias had (mostly) excellent music but I'd rather not play any of them. Belmont's Revenge was my favorite, but that doesn't say much. I think the soundtrack makes me believe that I liked it more than I really did...

Offline Maedhros

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2014, 06:39:57 AM »
The GB characters have a shitty slow movement speed, that's understandable... The stages are just as long as any other Castlevania, though.

Offline Belmontoya

• Composer/ Voice Actor
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2014, 08:44:44 AM »
But they do have ropes which were cool. That's always been my favorite part about gbvanias.

Offline Super Waffle

• Master Hunter
  • Obliterated CharloNathan and has no regrets
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
    • The zone
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2014, 12:46:28 PM »
why are you using Japanese honorifics?

Offline Maedhros

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2014, 02:10:17 PM »
+1
why are you using Japanese honorifics?
The world would be a better place if everyone used honorifics, SuperWaffle-kun.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Gunlord

• Wandering Mendicant
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Meow.
  • Awards Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • My blog
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2014, 02:34:37 PM »
*rubs Maedhros-sama contentedly*

Anyways, I didn't think sonia was THAT overpowered...she couldn't use those crazy item crashes other belmonts could and just had the invulnerability thing, right?

Check me out at gunlord500.wordpress.com!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phhCrFZek44

Offline Maedhros

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2014, 03:25:44 PM »
*rubs Maedhros-sama contentedly*

Anyways, I didn't think sonia was THAT overpowered...she couldn't use those crazy item crashes other belmonts could and just had the invulnerability thing, right?
"Just" invulnerability? LOL.

Item crash means shit next to invulnerability AND the power to restore her HP fully. And destroy every enemy on the screen using 5 hearts. LOLOLOL.

Offline Belmontoya

• Composer/ Voice Actor
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2014, 03:29:19 PM »
They had to balance out the horrid display of the non-back lit gameboy somehow didn't they?

I think half the battle of beating one of those games is simply viewing it sufficiently.

Tags: