Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: (PS3) castlevania Harmony of Despair glitches and other stuff  (Read 12479 times)

Offline Kusanagi

• Vampire Hunter
  • Not even the legend of Belmont can withstand time
    • Awards
(PS3) castlevania Harmony of Despair glitches and other stuff
« on: November 03, 2012, 09:20:16 AM »
+2
For a long time I've been wanting to do videos on CVHD, but been waiting for some good recording equipment (because I'm stingy for quality  :-X). Right now I'm still considering if I will get one, but in the meantime I figured recording off my webcam would do for now   :P

So to sum up what I'm doing here is mostly glitches. I'll be tackling every glitch (if I can) that Kuroiwahiryu and edf043 have done on the 360 version of this game. From what I've heard, the 360 version has it easier to glitch, so I figured I'd give all these glitches a shot along with any other glitches I've found.

Castlevania HD - playing around 1

Castlevania HD - playing around 2

Casltevania HD - playing around 3

I haven't done all the glitches yet, but as I go along I hope to show of as many interesting glitches as I can.

Now alongside with doing glitch videos, I will also be doing online runs of every chapter with every character. This is to show how each character would work in each chapter, giving a feel for how end game characters look like - strength wise, glitch attempts and everything else.

The online runs can be found in the spoiler below

Hope you all enjoy it  ;D

« Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 07:43:39 PM by Kusanagi »

Offline Kusanagi

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
Re: (PS3) castlevania Harmony of Despair glitches and other stuff
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2012, 02:23:46 PM »
So the first video is glitching around in ch 10, where most people tend to see glitches (i.e. puppet master in the elator section). Funny enough I don't show off the typical puppet master glitch in this video  :P but I'll get to it eventually I'm sure.

Next up we have part 2 (no fancy title either xD). So this glitch video is now on chapter 1 stuff, so check the first post for the update. It was a bit difficult at first to find good spots to glitch from, but eventually I've got what you see now

(also, I am assuming this isn't breaking the rules by posting to signify an update, but do correct me if I am mistaken).
« Last Edit: November 11, 2012, 11:42:28 AM by Kusanagi »

Offline Kusanagi

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2012, 11:34:18 AM »
Time for another update, this time around Im bringing in a new section: Online runs.

You can check the first post above for details.
The first video is Chapter 10 hard with Richter. What better way for me to start that series than with my favorite character in my favorite chapter  :P

Hopefully you guys will enjoy this one too. Feel free to request for any character to a chapter, otherwise I'll just be doing whoever I feel like at the time of recording xD

Offline Kusanagi

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2012, 09:08:03 AM »
Back again with another update guys. We now have Johnathan in ch 6.

As many players say, Johnathan has the lowest stats and is one of the most annoying to sub grind for. However, Johnathan is very well worth it and when used correctly can have serious damage output. I make a few mistakes here and there, but I think I've done a good enough job representing what he can do

Anyways, hope you guys enjoy  ;D Got glitch videos on the way for next week.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2012, 09:28:30 AM by Kusanagi »

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2012, 11:46:03 AM »
Interesting. It gives me some insight in to how they went about their platforming code. It's similar to my guess on how they did it. It is very similar to how I ended up doing mine as well, before I ended the project.

Offline Kusanagi

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2012, 08:57:53 PM »
Interesting. It gives me some insight in to how they went about their platforming code. It's similar to my guess on how they did it. It is very similar to how I ended up doing mine as well, before I ended the project.
Still a rather strange result they got, that downward acceleration could be affected in such a way to be tricked by sliding off a ledge at a point. They've done dive kicking in the past games, so why it allows players in HD to glitch like we do is still a mystery.

Kinda curious what project you're talking about, but then again ya canceled it so there might not be much reason to know

Offline Kusanagi

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2012, 06:15:25 PM »
Alrighty, back with another update. We've now got Fuma in chapter 2. 8 bit for the win!

Due to time constraints, I haven't been able to record much. So once these last 3 weeks are over, I should be more free to record things.

Enjoy all  :P

Offline Kusanagi

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2012, 07:16:33 PM »
A small update on progress, unfortunately with final exams going on, I may not be able to release a video for this section this week. Hopefully once the exams are over, I'll have more time to put into making more CVHD videos for you guys to see.

For those who are also going through the same thing, all the best with your exams

Offline Kusanagi

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2012, 09:04:46 AM »
Hey guys, been a while but I'm finally able to update this post. Something weird is going on with the edit button, so I couldn't put this in the first post. Anyways, I'm still working on the new glitch video, so for the meantime I thought to upload another online run to keep things rolling.

We've got Soma here in Ch 7. Now Soma is the overpowered character of the game, particularly with the valmanway (I call them blenders). This game has a lot to offer for gamers, but they need to first let go of overpowered equips to really get this idea. So as a principle, my Soma does not use the vals, final guards, or medusa heads. I instead use the claim solias +1, which is actually a rather fun weapon to use when you learn more about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jFTh5znJ5E&list=UU7WQjpEmPhpaK7S9CwTmhGg&index=1

Anyways, enjoy guys ^^

Offline Kusanagi

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2012, 08:46:29 PM »
Hey guys, back to make another update. At long last I've put up another glitch video, though the quality is pretty bad ^^" at least its somewhat distinguishable, and its just to make up for taking a while to upload.

So in this chapter we tackle chapter 8. Though not many places to glitch via dive kick, I introduce the tackle glitch, which pretty much lets you glitch wherever you want.

As always, enjoy guys

Offline Kusanagi

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2013, 10:47:09 PM »
Appologies for the sudden absence everyone. Personal issues came up and had to deal with them accordingly. However, just to update on things I haven't stopped updating this just yet. I've got a few more videos for Harmony of Despair coming up; particularly 3 new glitch videos and some online play.

Unfortunately past that I may not be able to get more footage after those recordings due to said personal issues. But Hopefully I will be able to do something about that. At worst my recordings will be stuck for 4 months time till things improve, then I should be in the clear to resume recording and updating regularly.

Just posting to keep everyone who may be watching this updated with what's going on. Should have the next video by tomorrow or latest this Tuesday.
Till then everyone!

Offline Kusanagi

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2013, 10:31:12 PM »
Ack, that was terrible. Life got in the way so I couldn't get this released when I scheduled it to.

To the update itself, I've got another online run featuring Yoko in ch 9. I make a major blunder in the boss fight, but for the most part I feel I've represented Yoko pretty well. It took me a while to find the "thing" that makes playing as her special. Her limited moveset aside, her BDC is unique in that the animation will come out delayed, but it cannot be stopped. Whether hit, moving, sliding, or even killed, the attack will always come out. And so I enjoy messing around with that whenever I play as her.

Hope you guys enjoy the video, and hopefully I can get the next release out on time o.e
Video will be in the first post as usual

Offline Kusanagi

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2013, 08:10:11 PM »
Hey guys, back again with another update. We've got now another online run with Alucard in ch 8.

Sure everyone here knows that Alucard is the weaker of the two weapon users, and doesn't particularly have strong base spells (without the special weapons I mean). However, Alucard still has a good set of skills to use together, and his mist form is rather useful in more ways than one.

Next week I'll be doing a glitch video again at long last, so hope you guys look forward to it.

Also, can I ask a moderator to rename the thread to "(PS3) castlevania Harmony of Despair glitches and end game play"? This probably reflects what I'm doing with the topic better.

Offline TheouAegis

• Amateur Auteur of GMvania
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • GMvania Developer's Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2013, 11:18:48 PM »
I don't mean this as a slight against Uzo, but when a phrase along the lines of, "Those suggest to me that they coded platform collisions the same why I did" enters your mind, that's a really, really, really, REALLY bad sign for Konami. I'm sure it was just that team of coders and they have a bunch of coders, but still. Shit like that would have never happened on the NES games (except maybe the first CV, like where you can get a Medusa Head to help you bounce higher up). Even with all the bugs I was finding in CV3, they were all little negligible typos or I had to change the layout of the stages to make them happen; that suggested to me that rather than fix the glitches, Team Akumajou Densetsu (or whatever they called themselves) simply redesigned stages to avoid the glitches from appearing. Some of the glitches I found you would never expect to ever encounter in a game anyway (e.g., walking up stairs into a wall), and one classic -- getting knocked back into a wall so you fall through the wall -- only happens if you actually hack Trevor's coordinates so he's already in the wall to begin with (or cause the stair bug).

First time I saw a HoD video (never played it) I thought right away it looked like very shoddy programming for an established game company.
Your mom has had more floppies put in her than a Commodore 64!

Follow my lack of progress on my game at my blog:
http://gmvania.blogspot.com

Offline Kusanagi

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2013, 11:43:04 PM »
I don't mean this as a slight against Uzo, but when a phrase along the lines of, "Those suggest to me that they coded platform collisions the same why I did" enters your mind, that's a really, really, really, REALLY bad sign for Konami. I'm sure it was just that team of coders and they have a bunch of coders, but still. Shit like that would have never happened on the NES games (except maybe the first CV, like where you can get a Medusa Head to help you bounce higher up). Even with all the bugs I was finding in CV3, they were all little negligible typos or I had to change the layout of the stages to make them happen; that suggested to me that rather than fix the glitches, Team Akumajou Densetsu (or whatever they called themselves) simply redesigned stages to avoid the glitches from appearing. Some of the glitches I found you would never expect to ever encounter in a game anyway (e.g., walking up stairs into a wall), and one classic -- getting knocked back into a wall so you fall through the wall -- only happens if you actually hack Trevor's coordinates so he's already in the wall to begin with (or cause the stair bug).

First time I saw a HoD video (never played it) I thought right away it looked like very shoddy programming for an established game company.
Does make you wonder what Konami was thinking with some of the coding. As fun as I find it to break the game in two, from a game stability standpoint it is still pretty bad. Now-a-days such things aren't excusable and that may be why the game lost its support. Not to say that all games out now or even back in the old days didn't come with their fair share of glitches either. As long as the glitch doesn't hinder the overall gameplay and fun value, personally I'm ok with that. These ones especially as the condition to get the glitch to trigger requires a pretty good amount of skill to do anyways.

The game as I will always say is still pretty solid. The glitches you find for the most part have to be done on purpose, otherwise the glitch doesn't hinder the gameplay at all. The back dash cancel glitch and various little things here and there (like animation cancels) if anything added to the game's amount of skill put into it.

Hopefully Konami can use this as a learning point if ever they plan a sequel, rather than an excuse to shun the idea of multiplayer CV. I firmly believe there is still much potential in the concept overall

anything