Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: SotN Rewrite (COMPLETE!)  (Read 21697 times)

Offline Claimh Solais

• Ronove the Radical
  • Master Hunter
  • GO FIGHT!!
  • Awards The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Claimh Solais
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« on: December 29, 2012, 01:57:04 AM »
I began a project a while back where I would rewrite the scripts of various games that were on the first PlayStation. The first among them was our beloved Castlevania: Symphony of the Night. So this is all I have so far. Let me know what you think! :D

NOTE: These are written in a canonical order. No alternate path stuff will be written in.

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

I had a ton of fun writing it, and I'd like to know what you all think.

It was written, taking reference mostly from the DXC version, as well as the ending to Rondo. Some influence came from Legacy of Kain. Enjoy. ;)
« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 07:35:00 PM by Claimh Solais »
Currently Playing: Resident Evil 2 [N64]
Games Beaten This Year (2020): 20 Games

Offline Chernabogue

• Abaddon's Student
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2017-02-Music Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Music Contest 2nd Place 2015-03-Sprite Contest Silver Award 2015-02-Music Contest Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 (PS3/X360)
Re: PSone Rewrites #1 - Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (preview)
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2012, 02:19:51 AM »
Really nice! Good job! :)

Offline Claimh Solais

• Ronove the Radical
  • Master Hunter
  • GO FIGHT!!
  • Awards The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Claimh Solais
    • Awards
Re: PSone Rewrites #1 - Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (preview)
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2012, 06:08:10 AM »
Decided to include a second preview up above. Which is much shorter than the preview before it.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2012, 09:10:14 PM »
It does give out a fuller conversation between them, doesn't it. Can you write up more?  :)
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Claimh Solais

• Ronove the Radical
  • Master Hunter
  • GO FIGHT!!
    • Claimh Solais
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2012, 09:16:26 PM »
It does give out a fuller conversation between them, doesn't it. Can you write up more?  :)

I already have up to the Nightmare sequence written. I'm gonna release them all together whence finished. :)

Offline Phoenix7786

• Legendary Hunter
  • Neg on that, Chummer
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2012, 11:02:12 PM »
SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!
12/1/12: Nominated for my 1st award! Thanks to all :D

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2012, 01:02:36 AM »
Hey, he's willing to pay. Do as he says.
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Claimh Solais

• Ronove the Radical
  • Master Hunter
  • GO FIGHT!!
    • Claimh Solais
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2012, 09:12:23 AM »
Alrighty. I posted all that I have so far. :D

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2012, 11:48:35 AM »
For the succubus I feel her DXC line should've been kept.

"Then give it to me little man. Don't be shy..."

Saying something like this is far more of their nature as they are sexually driven.

Offline Claimh Solais

• Ronove the Radical
  • Master Hunter
  • GO FIGHT!!
    • Claimh Solais
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2012, 04:11:48 PM »
For the succubus I feel her DXC line should've been kept.

"Then give it to me little man. Don't be shy..."

Saying something like this is far more of their nature as they are sexually driven.

Hmm... I think I will keep that one.

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2013, 06:03:00 PM »
Could you rewrite some dialogue from Simon's Quest?

Vamprotector Lead Creator and Producer

Offline Claimh Solais

• Ronove the Radical
  • Master Hunter
  • GO FIGHT!!
    • Claimh Solais
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2013, 06:21:31 PM »
I'd definitely be willing to. There's just not a lot to go off of outside of short phrases to really give me inspiration. Symphony of the Night was mostly easy because I had the original script, the DXC script, and Gemini's translation to use as reference. But I think with enough planning I could potentially build a full-length script for Simon's Quest (at least, as far as full-length goes in CV).

Offline Corpsecrank

• XXX
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Still uttering the same nonsense.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2013, 09:16:22 PM »
I always felt like the dialogue in the game should fit the time period. For this reason I can only picture that in my mind and this feels a bit to modern for me. Really well written though mind you.

The problem with actually using periodically correct english is that you and I would be unable to read it and understand what is being said. Sure we could get the basic idea but it would be difficult and parts could be entirely misinterpreted.

There are also a lot of transitions in the english language around the 15, 16, and 17 hundreds. Going from old english to middle english and then early modern english. That can complicate things any time the story crosses one of the transition boundaries if it happens to take place during one.
You can find all my projects here: https://thetilepile.blogspot.com/

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2013, 10:28:24 AM »
I always felt like the dialogue in the game should fit the time period. For this reason I can only picture that in my mind and this feels a bit to modern for me. Really well written though mind you.

The problem with actually using periodically correct english is that you and I would be unable to read it and understand what is being said. Sure we could get the basic idea but it would be difficult and parts could be entirely misinterpreted.

There are also a lot of transitions in the english language around the 15, 16, and 17 hundreds. Going from old english to middle english and then early modern english. That can complicate things any time the story crosses one of the transition boundaries if it happens to take place during one.

This is a really good point. Since SotN is in 1797 you should get a hold of some late 18th century literature for refrence. This will help you to get to know the English language of that time period. Ironically enough if you've played CoD then you should also use its cut-scenes as a reference too. The script that the voice actors read does a good job of portraying an older form of English speaking then what's normally heard today.

Offline Claimh Solais

• Ronove the Radical
  • Master Hunter
  • GO FIGHT!!
    • Claimh Solais
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2013, 07:01:55 PM »
I'm not entirely trying to fit it in with the time period's speech, but more or less trying to expand upon the dialog and make it more interesting to read. As well, I don't have a whole lot of time to study speech patterns (though CoD is definitely a good place to refer to, as those cutscenes are quite a treat). I think I'll finish up this one as is, and then do some studying for a next one I plan on rewriting (stuck between Legacy of Darkness and Aria of Sorrow for what I want to do next. The latter doesn't really require much in the way of studying, though).

EDIT: And like Corpsecrank has mentioned, it may be hard to read and understand entirely the periodically correct English. If I'm not mistaken, Legacy of Kain uses such English, doesn't it? The dialog in that is extremely complex, and while it was a reference I used, it was only as far as dialog length.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 07:03:39 PM by Claimh Solais »

Tags:

anything