Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: For those who want tiles/enemy gfx from the DS vanias:  (Read 4796 times)

Offline Esco

• In SERIOUS need of sprite help for the SOTN HACKED engine! PM me please if you can help.
  • Forgotten One
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
For those who want tiles/enemy gfx from the DS vanias:
« on: March 18, 2013, 07:39:52 PM »
+6
Simply download the debugger version of NO$gba(do a google search for it; should take 2-3 seconds). Then go to windows/user window and click the 3d/re tab. By clicking thru the listed items you will see tiles, effects, skins, enemy sprites, player sprites, weapon animations, etc.

If you want to rip something, just make sure it is on screen, and click on the debugger window to freeze the game. Then perform the aforementioned steps until you find it in the list, and you are all good to go.

I just discovered this myself now, and figured I would pass it on since it can be a HUGE help to people.  8)
- Esco... the original New Yurican and creator of the Castlevania: SOTN Hacked Engine!

Link to the blog for the "hack:" http://sotnhacked.wordpress.com

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
Re: For those who want tiles/enemy gfx from the DS vanias:
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2013, 08:04:38 PM »
Hey, thanks Esco, I dont have time for projects now, but its really good to know. +1
Good to see you here, good luck. :P

I have only one question: They come with the correct palletes? Im asking that because Im kinda of a noob in ripping things and some other users could want to know too.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 08:16:15 PM by Lelygax »
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Esco

• In SERIOUS need of sprite help for the SOTN HACKED engine! PM me please if you can help.
  • Forgotten One
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2013, 09:36:56 PM »
Hey, thanks Esco, I dont have time for projects now, but its really good to know. +1
Good to see you here, good luck. :P

I have only one question: They come with the correct palletes? Im asking that because Im kinda of a noob in ripping things and some other users could want to know too.

Yes
- Esco... the original New Yurican and creator of the Castlevania: SOTN Hacked Engine!

Offline Rudolph LagnaGaisaer

• Dragon Slayer.
  • Hunter in Training
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Circle of the Moon (GBA)
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2013, 05:01:02 AM »
great contribution, thank you very much.

Offline Esco

• Forgotten One
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2013, 11:43:25 AM »
+3
A QUICK but VERY IMPORTANT side note: when opening the user window you WILL have to resize it slightly horizontally and vertically EVERY time you start the debugger, to make sure that the picture tiles/sprites under the 3rd/re tab look correct. These is easy, but can be tedious and a little annoying to do, so make sure that if you open the screen to rip, that you rip a LOT at once.

The easiest way to figure out if the resize is right is to do this: when you look at the space with the sprite, you should be able to copy out this square canvas area and paste it into an image and have it be EXACTLY 128 x 128. Here is an example:

First the window:

Now the correct sized cutout part (make sure to NOT cut out the gray outline around the colored box with the sprite by accident):

Again......... this image should be exactly 128 x 128 if you sized the window right, which will ensure that the sprites are picture perfect and have no imperfections or artifacts.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 02:25:24 PM by Esco »

Offline Las

• Vampire Hunter
  • Whoa dude!what a horrible night for no beer.....
  • Awards 2016-02 Sprite Contest 1st Place
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2013, 07:02:50 PM »
Dunno if it's been asked before, but is their a way to do this with psx emu aswell? If so i havent figured out how yet.I know others have, figured i'd ask. Btw Esco your totally right at 128x128. I use prt srn copy+paste to gimp ,method cause not sure how else too do it. But yeah completey accurate none the less.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 07:15:15 PM by Las »

Taking Edward Scissorhands to a whole new level!

Offline TheouAegis

• Amateur Auteur of GMvania
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • GMvania Developer's Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2013, 07:16:05 PM »
PSXvram lets you open a save state and snag the images but I have no effin' clue how to use it.
Your mom has had more floppies put in her than a Commodore 64!

Follow my lack of progress on my game at my blog:
http://gmvania.blogspot.com

Offline Las

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2013, 12:11:10 AM »
K, thanks THeo! Yeah never heard of it, but i will look into it.

Offline Esco

• Forgotten One
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2013, 08:40:59 PM »
K, thanks THeo! Yeah never heard of it, but i will look into it.

The results in psx ram will look like what is on spriters-resource basically; but with messed up colors and some sizing issues if I remember right. If you want fully assembled sprites you will have to either screen rip them, or assemble them from fragments either in images, or thru code (which I am doing now for the marionette).

Also I saw your message Las; I will reply in a few days or so. Sorry about the wait.

Offline Las

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2013, 03:10:38 PM »
@Esco, K, cool!

Tags: