Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Anybody else played Oniken/Oniken+?  (Read 2009 times)

Offline beingthehero

• Duke of New York
  • Master Hunter
  • EROTIC VIOLENCE
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« on: April 21, 2014, 08:57:43 AM »
I discovered Oniken last spring on Desura, and loved the shit out of it. If you didn't know, it's an 8-bit-style platformer that feels straight out of the 80's - it doesn't use its 8-bit style as a crutch to be 'indie' but to earnestly emulate the entire style beyond graphics and music. The music is pretty killer, by the way:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4r-gRn44TD4

The game is sort of a blend between the NES-era Ninja Gaiden and Contra.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfQJ0rlZn9k

It features a Kenshiro expy named Zaku, who is the baddest mofo in recent memory. Like Ninja Gaiden, it's wonderfully difficult (but fair - no fucking eagles out of nowhere), and has some beautifully animated bosses and cutscenes. If you do get it, get the Steam version, Oniken+. The original Desura release had some placeholder music and graphics that weren't so hot and a weird backtracking segment in stage 1. Oniken+ corrects these things and also spruces up some of the sprites and music and adds a new menu screen and leaderboards. And achievements if that's your thing.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2014, 10:04:21 AM »
I remember that game being mentioned here before. Then I promptly forgot about it, lol! It looks good and definitely has that old school charm that's severely lacking in games these days.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2014, 01:56:37 AM »
I have it. It's one of those indie games that I felt deserved my money.
It's a damn good classic platformer. They did a pretty good job of making it feel like an authentic NES game.
They are working on another game that is "inspired by Castlevania". What was it called...?

Odallus! That's it.
"Stuff and things."

Offline Ratty

• A Little Pile of Secrets
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Other (?)
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2014, 10:16:07 AM »
I remember thinking this looked great, but then I forgot about it. Might pick it up sometime, I've still got so many games in my backlog though... Odallus though, hmmm. If it's more like Castlevania and less like Ninja Gaiden it's definitely got my interest.

Tags: