Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Bloodborne  (Read 12607 times)

Offline GuyStarwind

• Lawful Good
  • Master Hunter
  • Shahrukh Khan is the greatest actor out there
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Crappy Brown Jacket Films
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« on: March 27, 2015, 10:50:34 PM »
I've been watching Bloodborne walkthroughs (I don't have a PS4) and I know it's been said of Souls games but why aren't these guys doing CV?

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2015, 11:11:17 PM »
I really never thought of From as being proper for a CV game.

they make a good adventure rpg, but I wouldnt pin their type of gameplay for CV.
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2015, 11:16:51 PM »
The way they do their games in terms of atmosphere (for Bloodborn) is definitely in the vain of Castlevania however the difficulty is all-together a different animal entirely. I believe I would hire these guys to do things like graphics and such for a CV title but not the game engine itself. I'd give that to another team who's far more intimate with the CV series on a whole.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Aridale

• Master Hunter
  • =D
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2015, 09:10:18 AM »
Theyd make a great CV game. They dont have to go full out hardcore on the difficulty and really the only games theyve made like that that I know of are the Souls games and this one. But really this is just a reskin of a Souls game with a few different mechanics. Not that theres anything wrong with that cause its a great formula and a solid engine. I wish itd get a pc port like DS1/2!

Ive been watchin Strippins recordings of his 17 hours straight marathon and Id really like to play it. It looks like Id enjoy it more than DS2 but I dont have a ps4 either. Plus what is it with their games that load so damn slow? DS2 on pc I cant even start to read the loading screens before its done on ps3 I could read em 2-3 times. I noticed this game was the same way while watchin his vids

Offline Rugal

• I SHALL DEVOUR
  • Master Hunter
  • I SHALL DEVOUR
  • Awards A master of sarcasm whose words often drip with satire and cynicism. Will make a staunch stand on one subject and never, ever budge. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2015, 12:39:54 PM »
I've been playing the shit out of Bloodborne lately. It's basically Castlevania. One of the starter weapons is a cane that turns into a whip. Put some fire on that baby and you got yourself a flame whip. I even looked out in the distance in one area what looked to be Dracula's Castle.

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow sucks
DmC: Devil may Cry is the equivalent of trailer trash
"badly designed fat left on Lords of Shadow 2's bones."

Offline Super Waffle

• Master Hunter
  • Obliterated CharloNathan and has no regrets
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
    • The zone
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2015, 01:35:50 PM »
I heard it's Dark Souls with guns.

Offline Aridale

• Master Hunter
  • =D
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2015, 03:23:48 PM »
it is basically. But some of the mechanics are different than darksouls. Like theres no undead/human form its just human all the time. The bonfires still work the same for respawning but they also teleport you to a hub area thats separate from the rest of the game called the hunters dream. Thats where you lvl up and buy/sell/repair/modify stuff and unlock weird dungeons. Theres no estus flask... you just get healing potions you can carry a limited number of. From all Ive seen (prolly 10+ hours of strippin playing) no enemies drop gear. Just items. And certain ones in certain areas drop those items 100% of the time. But all the weapons and armor hes found have all been single time pickups from just somewhere on the map or sold by the vendor. Not even bosses have dropped anything other than normal items and quest things

So yeah it is like darksouls but its not in quite a few important ways

Offline GuyStarwind

• Lawful Good
  • Master Hunter
  • Shahrukh Khan is the greatest actor out there
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Crappy Brown Jacket Films
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2015, 05:51:47 PM »
It's made by the same guy who did Demon's/Dark Souls.

I agree with the gameplay being done by someone else but yeah I was talking about the atmosphere. Sorry for the confusion.

Offline piscesdreams

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2015, 06:05:44 PM »
I think it looks great, and I almost bought it yesterday, but the combat looks a little sluggish in the videos. Is it as sluggish as it looks? I don't want Ninja Gaiden fast paced, but I don't want to feel like everything I swing is the hammer of Thor.

Offline Aridale

• Master Hunter
  • =D
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2015, 07:47:28 PM »
nope its pretty fast paced. Its not a button masher tho. Have you played the other games? Demon/Dark souls? Its the same as those with a few changes

Offline piscesdreams

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2015, 08:23:54 PM »
I havent. I want to though.

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2015, 11:57:35 PM »
I've been playing the shit out of Bloodborne lately. It's basically Castlevania. One of the starter weapons is a cane that turns into a whip. Put some fire on that baby and you got yourself a flame whip. I even looked out in the distance in one area what looked to be Dracula's Castle.
really? all because there was a whip nothing about bloodborne reallys creams castlevania to me.

early on sure, with werewolves and gothic victorian shit, but after a while it starts getting into eldritch cosmic horror and just totally loses me

the combat is also just souls lite.

which is really the problem i have with From as a CV developer... they really only know how to make souls games anymore. I was actually kind of disappointed that Bloodborne behaves very much identically to souls, simply with a different gimmick from sword and board.
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline Rugal

• I SHALL DEVOUR
  • Master Hunter
  • I SHALL DEVOUR
  • Awards A master of sarcasm whose words often drip with satire and cynicism. Will make a staunch stand on one subject and never, ever budge. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2015, 12:24:41 PM »
really? all because there was a whip nothing about bloodborne reallys creams castlevania to me.

early on sure, with werewolves and gothic victorian shit, but after a while it starts getting into eldritch cosmic horror and just totally loses me

the combat is also just souls lite.

which is really the problem i have with From as a CV developer... they really only know how to make souls games anymore. I was actually kind of disappointed that Bloodborne behaves very much identically to souls, simply with a different gimmick from sword and board.

I don't think you've ever played Castlevania before.

Lords of Shadow doesn't count.
Castlevania: Lords of Shadow sucks
DmC: Devil may Cry is the equivalent of trailer trash
"badly designed fat left on Lords of Shadow 2's bones."

Offline zaxiou

• Hunter in Training
  • Wrryyyyyy
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow (GBA)
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2015, 05:04:15 PM »
I've been playing with the threaded cane which transforms into a whip as a nod to Castlevania and it's a surprisingly good weapon. Bloodborne's as close as we'll probably get with a good fast paced 3D metroidvania. Now that they've removed weight limits, it's more Castlevania than the souls games were.

Offline Aridale

• Master Hunter
  • =D
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2015, 08:27:42 PM »
yeah Bloodbornes pretty castlevania. I saw Strippin use a fire paper on the cane in one of his vids and I was like "holy shit! I does look like a flame whip!" It was pretty awesome. But yeah the whole dark victorian setting just screams castlevania

Tags:

anything