Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Just another Castlevania fan-game...  (Read 66208 times)

Offline Lanforse

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
« Reply #45 on: August 30, 2015, 06:28:10 AM »
I hope I edited him in the right direction...

Offline zangetsu468

• Master Hunter
  • God bless the hustler, curse the first sleeper
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #46 on: August 30, 2015, 08:20:48 AM »
Looks much better to me :)
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<[Judgement]>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

**<<<<<SuperCVIV>COTM<<<<<<<<+
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^
                                 ^      l   v  ^    +<<<<<<<BE
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^  
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     BE>>> VK<**   
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     ^          ^   
            +<<<<<Legends>HC>OOS>LOD>64       ^
            v                           l              ^                ^
            v                           l     BE>> * <<<BE    RE
            v                           l      ^               ^       ^
LOI>CVIII>COD>AR>BR>CVC>CVII>HOD>ROB>SOTN>OOE>BL>POR>AOS>DOS>>>KD
                                                                          v
                                                                         BE>*  
BE=Bad Ending
RE=Richter Ending

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #47 on: August 30, 2015, 09:57:11 AM »
Having the werewolf summon other wolves to his cause I've not seen yet in any other CV game, so this looks interesting  ;)
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Lanforse

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #48 on: August 30, 2015, 10:25:07 AM »
Having the werewolf summon other wolves to his cause I've not seen yet in any other CV game, so this looks interesting  ;)
The whole fight with this werewolf exists in the Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin. Also, Serio's Castlevania Fighting game had this battle.

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #49 on: August 30, 2015, 10:25:23 AM »
What do you think about my new boss? The battle seems very intense for me. Sorry for some missing sounds from the death scene, but everything else working as I planned.

I think you need to have a better indication that the trees are stand-able. They are drawn to be background objects and do not give any clear indication that you can stand on them. In a situation like this I would put a candle above one of the branches on each side, and that will call attention to it and the player will think "wait how do I get that?" then realize you must be able to stand on the branches.

Offline Lanforse

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #50 on: August 30, 2015, 10:53:21 AM »
I think you need to have a better indication that the trees are stand-able.

Don't worry. I'm already "teached" the player about this in the previous forest levels.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 10:56:55 AM by Lanforse »

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
« Reply #51 on: August 31, 2015, 05:08:39 PM »
Ah, fair enough then.

Offline Wallz!

• Hunter in Training
  • Experimental fan games galore!
    • Awards
« Reply #52 on: August 31, 2015, 05:43:53 PM »
I'd still increase the saturation of the colors on your trees. They look like they're in the background. As for the trees in the boss fight, notice that they're behind bushes which Simon appears in front of. You might want to put the bushes infront of simon or behind the trees in addition to an increase of saturation in the tree's color.

Also, you may want to reduce the colors on enemies that were sprited after rondo of blood, such as the balloon pod. Everything else looks 16-bit, it's just to keep it to one style.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 05:48:15 PM by ronny14 »

Offline Lanforse

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #53 on: September 01, 2015, 12:47:53 AM »
I'm not so good in terms of recoloring sprites... It's better for me to leave the colors as it is. But I'm definitely move those trees to the foreground, yes.

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #54 on: September 01, 2015, 05:08:23 AM »
I hope I edited him in the right direction...

Waayy better.

Vamprotector Lead Creator and Producer

Offline metroidquest

• Programmageddon
  • Vampire Hunter
  • hacking games since 1999
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • MQ's YouTube Channel
    • Awards
« Reply #55 on: September 11, 2015, 09:49:54 AM »
Looks so familiar. I just can't put my finger on it.

Offline Lanforse

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #56 on: September 12, 2015, 05:44:10 AM »
metroidquest, I'm glad to see you here. Your project for me was one of the main motivators to start making my own game. So yeah, you can see some inspirations from it.

Speaking of my game, I'm making a demo right now. It will be ready really soon, maybe even today. There's not much to show yet, but I really want to give everyone possibility to "feel" my game, 'cause the gameplay and the visuals are already settled. There will be two levels - the City and the Forest. They have different styles, which can be changed even during the level, but I'm also trying to make levels be seamless. You can decide by yourself if it's a good idea or not, and if I'm doing it right, then I can continue my work with my heart being light. And if it's not, then it's not too late to make significant changes.

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #57 on: September 12, 2015, 08:24:42 AM »
I'd still increase the saturation of the colors on your trees. They look like they're in the background. As for the trees in the boss fight, notice that they're behind bushes which Simon appears in front of. You might want to put the bushes infront of simon or behind the trees in addition to an increase of saturation in the tree's color.

That won't be enough to properly do it. The tree may even end up looking weird. There really isn't much of a 'magic' fix for this. In most cases the shading has to be altered to highlight the stand-able surface.

Offline SabinFigaro

• Hunter in Training
  • What a horrible day to go to work..
    • Awards
« Reply #58 on: September 12, 2015, 09:31:46 AM »
+1
Love the thunderstorm, the rain sound effect, the CV4 boss music. Your game seems to have a lot of atmosphere, and that is a huge + in a CV game. This looks promising. Good job man.

Offline Lanforse

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #59 on: September 15, 2015, 08:37:29 AM »
It took a little more time than I thought, but now I'm finished the demo of my project!
http://www.mediafire.com/download/3l97q24poa2ozvc/Castlevania.exe

There's two main levels - the City (I've showed the full walkthrough of it in one of my videos), and the Forest. Also there's placeholders in place of the Chapel and the Caves levels, so you can get an idea about a structure of the whole world.
I think, the Forest is a little too difficult, even for a Castlevania game - I can't be 100% sure, 'cause I was the only tester until now. And speaking of the testing, the only bug that I'm aware of is the bug with the horizontally moving platforms. Sometimes, the character is "teleporting" from one side of the platform to another one. I did everything that I can to fix it, but it don't get a proper testing yet, so the bug still can be present.

The game supports three type of controls at the same time - you can control you character with the arrows, Z X C and Enter keys (like in classic Japanese PC games), WASD JKL SPACE (modern console-type controls)... And xinput-compatible gamepad! (x360ce emulator works fine too).

I still haven't polished the save system. It works as it should, but there's only one save slot, so if you will start a new game, the old save file will be instantly deleted.

Aaaand... I didn't come up with the good name for my project. Also, my GM:Studio didn't want to add custom icon and title name, I dunno why. It seems everything right now is against my project's individuality.

Tags: