Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Double Dragon 4 announced  (Read 11228 times)

Offline TheTextGuy

• Vampire Hunter
  • Rocket punch!
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
« on: December 26, 2016, 11:39:23 AM »
https://youtu.be/y0f8RV4Q8t4

So, Double Dragon 4 is apparently going to be a thing now.  I always saw Super Double Dragon as the fourth before.
Thoughts about what's shown so far?

Offline Claimh Solais

• Ronove the Radical
  • Master Hunter
  • GO FIGHT!!
  • Awards The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Claimh Solais
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2016, 11:46:17 AM »
So... it's just another retro beat-em-up but reusing the VS mode sprites from DD1?

Couldn't they have just handed off the next numbered entry to WayForward? Double Dragon Neon is hands down the best in the series, and one hell of a modern beat-em-up.

EDIT: That's not to say I'm not happy about it. Double Dragon + ArcSys = damn good time. I'm sure of it. And especially after that horrendous Double Dragon 2 remake... yeah.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2016, 11:48:40 AM by Claimh Solais »
Currently Playing: Resident Evil 2 [N64]
Games Beaten This Year (2020): 20 Games

Offline redrum

• Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2016, 01:07:42 PM »
i'm all for this.  with asw on it, you can be sure the gameplay will be wayyy more intricate than it needs to be.

also, this looks super fun, we need this too.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2016, 01:15:59 PM by redrum »

Offline zangetsu468

• Master Hunter
  • God bless the hustler, curse the first sleeper
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2016, 05:36:27 PM »
I appreciate that they're fusing older graphics with newer platforming and combat. Looks decent so far.
I would've thought Neon II could be the way to go added to the fact it was a really good game, but I'm sure that will be the next thing.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<[Judgement]>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

**<<<<<SuperCVIV>COTM<<<<<<<<+
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^
                                 ^      l   v  ^    +<<<<<<<BE
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^  
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     BE>>> VK<**   
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     ^          ^   
            +<<<<<Legends>HC>OOS>LOD>64       ^
            v                           l              ^                ^
            v                           l     BE>> * <<<BE    RE
            v                           l      ^               ^       ^
LOI>CVIII>COD>AR>BR>CVC>CVII>HOD>ROB>SOTN>OOE>BL>POR>AOS>DOS>>>KD
                                                                          v
                                                                         BE>*  
BE=Bad Ending
RE=Richter Ending

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2016, 08:19:07 PM »
I always saw Super Double Dragon as the fourth before.

It is. And then there was it's sequel: Double Dragon V: The Shadow Falls.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline redrum

• Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2016, 02:49:09 PM »
Double Dragon V: The Shadow Falls.

yikes!  the less said about that one, the better!

Offline Eric Roman

• Arima Red
  • Vampire Hunter
  • THE RISE that Eric Roman has sent
    • EricTJRoman.com
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2016, 08:40:38 PM »
When I saw that ASW logo I instinctively expected Guilty Gear-grade visuals.  But then...
By "Koji Ogata" on the Character Design I wonder if they mean the Boogiepop Phantom guy; it's really hard to tell with those NES-style sprites... :|

Offline JR

• Home Gym Rat
  • Master Hunter
  • That Star Wars will make a million bucks someday.
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2016, 12:44:28 AM »
Fuck yeah! I've been waiting a long time for a proper Double Dragon sequel. They could've just ignored DD3 as far as I care, but this is gonna be awesome regardless.

So... it's just another retro beat-em-up but reusing the VS mode sprites from DD1?

If only. Those sprites would've looked awesome in this game. Looks like they're pulling sprites from DD2.

Couldn't they have just handed off the next numbered entry to WayForward? Double Dragon Neon is hands down the best in the series, and one hell of a modern beat-em-up.

I loved Neon, but I always felt it should be considered its own thing. Didn't feel like Double Dragon at all, but I'd still love to see a sequel regardless. I think in terms of a "tr00 kvlt" Double Dragon game, DD Advance was the best one. Such a great game (although it was yet another remake of the first one), and they made the combat so fun, especially with how they left room for the player to get creative with air juggles.
It's like Who Wants to Be a Millionaire, but instead it's Who Wants Fried Chicken? I do.

Offline Claimh Solais

• Ronove the Radical
  • Master Hunter
  • GO FIGHT!!
  • Awards The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Claimh Solais
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2016, 09:54:56 AM »
I loved Neon, but I always felt it should be considered its own thing. Didn't feel like Double Dragon at all, but I'd still love to see a sequel regardless. I think in terms of a "tr00 kvlt" Double Dragon game, DD Advance was the best one. Such a great game (although it was yet another remake of the first one), and they made the combat so fun, especially with how they left room for the player to get creative with air juggles.

Tonally, yeah, Neon was different from the others, in that it was clearly meant as a parody of old action films and dudebro stuff. That doesn't mean if WayForward got the rights to do the next mainline DD game that they'd follow on the same feel. Gameplay-wise, it felt very Double Dragon to me, and is still one of my favorite games I've played ever.
Currently Playing: Resident Evil 2 [N64]
Games Beaten This Year (2020): 20 Games

Offline zangetsu468

• Master Hunter
  • God bless the hustler, curse the first sleeper
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2016, 10:06:57 AM »
I think old school DD is just one of those "everybody's best friend" kind of games with a - how can you dislike it - vibe, they're generally also fun as hell to play and replay. Definitely in the market for this.

Side note: My brother and I always had this thing while playing DD, he always wins by points but I always get the girl  8)
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<[Judgement]>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

**<<<<<SuperCVIV>COTM<<<<<<<<+
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^
                                 ^      l   v  ^    +<<<<<<<BE
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^  
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     BE>>> VK<**   
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     ^          ^   
            +<<<<<Legends>HC>OOS>LOD>64       ^
            v                           l              ^                ^
            v                           l     BE>> * <<<BE    RE
            v                           l      ^               ^       ^
LOI>CVIII>COD>AR>BR>CVC>CVII>HOD>ROB>SOTN>OOE>BL>POR>AOS>DOS>>>KD
                                                                          v
                                                                         BE>*  
BE=Bad Ending
RE=Richter Ending

Offline affinity

• Legendary Hunter
  • Awards Will make a staunch stand on one subject and never, ever budge. The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2017, 07:24:35 PM »
they should make Marian unlockable and playable.   it's insane Marian is only playable in like the Neo Geo fighting game and nowhere else. 

I mean really, even SMB made Peach playable in their 2nd/3rd game, even though it was a Doki Doki Panic ripoff.   

Marian could be the Blaze Fielding of the series, but even ASW seems like they limit their scope to just two.    and Yuri Sakazaki in Art of Fighting started out as a damsel in distress, but in the sequel she's trained and a playable fighter.

Marian should get a promotion

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2017, 10:45:16 PM »
+2
they are way late. The retro revival thing passed in the late 00's early 10's when Capcom started the trend.

Nowadays i'd say a real revival is what's warranted. Nostalgia filled maybe, a-la Transformers Devastation, or parody neo-80's-ified a-la Neon, (or even retro PS1 style 3D, which is popular now) but nonetheless, basically not a 2d rehash with reused assets.

i'm incredibly underwhelmed, honestly
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline affinity

• Legendary Hunter
  • Awards Will make a staunch stand on one subject and never, ever budge. The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2017, 11:10:22 AM »
retro gritty graphics with well proportioned characters, is still better than Phantom Breaker chibis.

and it looks like it has about 18 playable characters!!   ;D  sure they have to be unlocked in Tower mode, and Tower requires beating story first. but at least it looks like there is a fair and doable method to unlock all those characters as playable characters, that will greatly increase the entertainment value and replay value.

even hack n slash games benefit from more playable characters, so does any beat em up. 
Even Urban Reign cared to make practically everyone playable in all modes and the whole genre should have a free mode tier of freedom to play as whatever and whoever we want.

http://gematsu.com/2017/01/double-dragon-iv-details-background-modes-characters

Great there's at least 3 playable female characters, but Marian deserves to be an unlockable as well.  especially with the 30th anniversary, Marian playable in the Neo Geo fighting game, and Double Dragon Neon hinting at some Marian badassness in the climax,  her playability in a Double Dragon beatem up is long overdue.   even characters like Yuri Sakazaki from Art of Fighting went from a damsel to a well trained fighter. 

Marian would be a way greater secret unlockable surprise than Willy.   Marian really deserves promotion.

if Double Dragon IV sells well, that could spark an ongoing series with Double Dragon IV features as standard foundation to build on.  beat em ups in general are largely uncared for and ASW could rejuvenate the DD franchise with this winning formula.

and maybe next game they could even next gen the art direction and graphics.

Contra fans were divided about the Hard Corps Uprising art direction, but I felt it looked gorgeous and the standard gameplay was solid and actually even more refined than its predecessors.

So there's really more potential to Double Dragon, and its great Double Dragon IV is finally bringing more of its potential out and in greater use.

like Street Fighter isn't just about Ryu, and Tekken isn't just about the Mishima family.  Double Dragon shouldn't just be about Billy and Jimmy, there's a whole world of familiar and new characters that expand the selection and ways to experience Double Dragon adventures

Offline affinity

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2017, 08:02:37 AM »
Double Dragon Iv is the ultimate Double Dragon ever, in my opinion. It's even more entertaining than Streets of Rage Remake v5, although SOR Remake and other games have higher detailed graphics, waaay more stages, and much more, Double Dragon IV really is incredible is so much refreshing ways and purifies the series from the stagnation it has endured for 30 years.

and even the vast selection of playable characters makes it feel like a different and better game!   
the Tower mode is so epic hardcore!  and the top/bottom safe zones make it possible for a solo player to alternate between 2 characters.  the safe zones really are not broken since you can't hit the enemies either, it is a balanced feature considering some enemies have lots of advantages, and there is a set amount of credits in story mode, and no extra credits in Tower mode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7odFWc_5q8

it has more missions than expected.  and the climax has the most gorgeous scenery ever in the series!!

it's really the most rewarding, replayable and likable game in the whole series!!  they really surpassed expectations for the 30th anniversary, and while it seems like Marian isn't unlockable, they make up for it with other AWESOME EPIC surprises and playables.

also, the story mode is very challenging, while at the sametime, pressing options button in title screen is a great feature to cycle through missions completed, so it's totally possible for casuals to beat it too and unlock the Tower.  it may be tough at first, but eventually it's easy to unlock favorites and progress further. and all characters playable in all modes, really elevates the replay value to greater levels!!

this is like the Street Fighter II of the Double Dragon series.  before, it just focused on two characters, but now, DDIV expands the Double Dragon universe and gameplay for all to enjoy and allow anyone to be the protagonist and central character.

plus with all the unique playables, that elevates the possible team combinations!!  ;D

DDIV is another example there is quality in quantity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKg9toAqa4Y

the overall story campaign is so GREAT!! I like every single mission!  even the hazards and platforming parts, are really not that tough, they are generally fair, and not frustrating like DD1's platforming, for example.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKDk_HxxMs8

with the discovery of the safe zones, I'm thinking of playing story mode more, alternating between controllers for 2 characters style progression.  certain platforming parts may be tough that style, but overall I say it's doable.
Double Dragon IV is the greatest creation the series ever had. 

it's a shame this generation, most people are more nitpicky and whiney than before.  but true gamers can appreciate it.
of course everyone has their own preferences, but to me, Double Dragon IV establishes that the genre can still improve and still be a masterpiece even with 8 bit graphics.

oh yea and the SOUNDTRACK is flipping SUPREME!!   both the retro and especially the arranged versions of the tracks.
this has favorite DD music tracks as well as outstanding original tracks.

Also the story level design is great, there's even some nonlinear parts, as well as secrets.  like there's a crate that if broken without hitting an enemy with it, could reveal rare explosives to pick up and use, and another crate can summon multiple extra enemies to fight!!   another area even has a clever alternate path that loops, but if you figure it out, you can enter the right path to the next area.

and each character has their uniqueness.  even the ones that play very similiar have aesthetic differences, and others might have a unique difference about them.   

it really goes to show beat em ups can really offer more ways to kick ass and enjoy the game with more variety of playable characters and stuff.   

overall DDIV has one of my favorite campaigns, extra mode, and revolutionary selection of characters that's over 3 times more than Double Dragon 3.  Double Dragon 4 really should be praised more. 
but yea graphics fanatics don't see the genius and heart behind it all.

though yea anyways, those are some opinions.  all games should have features like DDIV, especially having every single character/enemy/boss/etc. playable in all modes, it makes a world of a difference too

Offline TheTextGuy

• Vampire Hunter
  • Rocket punch!
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2017, 05:26:04 PM »
I've been playing Double Dragon IV, and at first I kinda hated it.  Thought it was a step down from Neon and that it wasn't as good as the classics.  To an extent, I still think that.  The level design is a bit empty and naff in some parts, the enemies have a similar problem to one I encountered in DDIII where they just land some cheap shots as you're getting up, and many of the obstacles are either inferior rehashes or not as entertaining.

Now, where I have softened overtime is the combat.  At first I thought that "oh man, this mishmash of Double Dragon I and II combat mechanics are total crap."  But then, I've played overtime and I've started finding it fun.  Part of the reason I've been lukewarm at first was because I had been playing Neon in preparation for this, and to go from that to IV's combat was a step down (and I still think it is).  But since it's going for a more classical approach, I've softened up (that, and it helps that the game is still competant).  Also, played DDIII and I ended up liking that less than IV due to the fact that enemies dogpile you AND you don't have any reversal options like you do in II and IV (and oh yeah, glad there are reversal options, although still think the enemies could soften up a bit).  Also combat in III is, I feel, a step down from II.

I think if this was the third game (with a bit of polishing and tighter level design), I wouldn't have minded.  However, since the series has progress in mechanics after III (Return of/Super, Advance, the Brizo games, Neon), this game feels like a step back for the worse.

Tags:

anything