Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Castlevania Spectral Interlude for Sega Master System  (Read 13125 times)

Offline FeRcHuLeS

• Hunter in Training
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
  • Awards May 2017 Sprite Contest Third Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
Castlevania Spectral Interlude for Sega Master System
« on: January 09, 2017, 08:38:11 AM »
Hello, this begins with that wonderful ZX Spectrum version that made me think the SMS doesn't have what it deserves, that is a version of Castlevania and Spectral Interlude is reeaaally great homebrew!!!. The SMS has many hardware similarities with the ZX Spectrum plus a superior video processor that lets many colors at the same time 32 on screen from a palette of 64, the project actually has the support from the Rewind team (the authors of the original game).

The project has added  talented members the first one is the main coder who is going to port the code from ZX Spectrum to SMS then we have a music composer who has lot of experience with the SMS music and last it's me, I'm going to be touching the graphics to use the colourful palette of the SMS, sooner or later will be revealed the aforementioned members identities.

Features:
- The same great gameplay
- Colored graphics to reach the limits of the vdp (video processor)
   -8 colors average for each character (up to 9)
   -8 colors average for each lesser enemy
   -above 8 colors for each boss (unconfirmed yet)
- A little different music to fit SMS sound processor
- Save ram (unconfirmed yet)
- Character portraits (unconfirmed yet)

Now I want to show you what is done so far, they are the NPCs:
- Simon Belmont that is based on the official art from Simon's Quest (actually not a NPC) using Juste Belmont portrait (Harmony of Dissonance)
- Richter Belmont based on the alternate costume from Dracula X Nocturne in the Moonlight (aka SOTN) for Sega Saturn
- Shaft (Dracula X Nocturne in the Moonlight aka SOTN ) in the role of Joseph and Hammer (Aria of Sorrow) in the role of Boldo
- And finally most of the villagers based on characters from Order of Ecclesia.

I touched some portraits only to test my skills and you can see Richter using beard and moustache that because he is older than before, if the portraits are confirmed I hope you guys would be willing to port them.

EDIT:

For those who aren't familiar with Spectral Interlude in short is a homebrew game - metroidvania genre that its story tells the reason the Belmonts have dissapeared from the earth surface, using characters and backgrounds based on Simon's Quest along with bosses from Dracula's Curse.

Visit:
http://spectralinterlude.com/
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 03:20:50 PM by FeRcHuLeS »

Offline mgfcortez

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
Re: Castlevania Spectral Interlude for Sega Master System
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2017, 09:27:52 AM »
idk this was a thing found a video if anyone wants to see looks kinda cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMWlYaYbldQ

Offline FeRcHuLeS

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2017, 06:33:03 AM »
Maybe there are still people that own a Sega Genesis/Mega Drive and ignore this system is backward compatible with the Sega Master System, I was one of them I discovered it last year and the interesting part is that there are 2 buttons that can be used by the SMS, the A and Start buttons because the B and C buttons are recognized as 1 and 2 respectively.

Offline Super Waffle

• Master Hunter
  • Obliterated CharloNathan and has no regrets
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
    • The zone
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2017, 02:49:36 PM »
What is that music playing in the final level that sounds like Michiru Yamane composed an extended version of Poison Mind and adapted it for a horrible ear bleeding soundchip?

Is there a version of it that doesn't sound like that?

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2017, 03:10:33 PM »
Wow. That spectrum game is impressive.

Offline FeRcHuLeS

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2017, 03:12:39 PM »
@Super Waffle, Do you mean that part of the music (Poison Mind) that sounds squeaky?? I haven't noticed before and I don't mind at all, therefore I going to discuss this issue with the music composer to make that music less squeaky if it's possible, thanks for noticing!!

Offline mgfcortez

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2017, 04:22:54 PM »
@Super Waffle, Do you mean that part of the music (Poison Mind) that sounds squeaky?? I haven't noticed before and I don't mind at all, therefore I going to discuss this issue with the music composer to make that music less squeaky if it's possible, thanks for noticing!!

yeah well if you do port the game please redo all the music cause it sounds good but bad at the same time on that old system i don't blame who ever made it i know it has to be the game system but i know Sega can sound so much better as well look better witch is why your remaking in the 1st place i'm sure

it was a cool game like the story even tho part of me didn't lol

Offline FeRcHuLeS

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2017, 04:49:34 PM »
Actually the ZX Spectrum has more sound channels 3 tones,1 noise and a envelopes generator if I'm not wrong on the other hand the SMS 3 tones, 1 noise. The thing is this depends on the music composer manage to solve this issues but you have to consider that this is going to be hard.

Offline mgfcortez

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2017, 05:31:54 PM »
Actually the ZX Spectrum has more sound channels 3 tones,1 noise and a envelopes generator if I'm not wrong on the other hand the SMS 3 tones, 1 noise. The thing is this depends on the music composer manage to solve this issues but you have to consider that this is going to be hard.

yeah i know anything is hard i started a sub group that subbed a whole tv show i undubbed and redubbed two movies and back in the day made a shity little demo game so i understand anything someone does that is fan work takes so much time and work and love and didn't mean to insult the guy who made the music i just watched the 2 hour play on youtube and the music was good but some times it did sound worst than nes music i just was thinking hardware couldn't hold up but maybe that's part of that guys style if so i'm not of fan of old school style sorry just my taste but i do like how he changed up the music on a lot of tracks they aren't just remixes but have like new music wrote in them and would sound great in a newer style anyway i wish you all luck on the game its cool 

EDIT

i'd don't know a lot of songs have like a busted speaker sound thats the main thing i hate about the music i looked at a few other videos to see if it was just the video i watch but still sounds the same if they get rid of the busted speaker sounds in the songs it'd be cool
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 05:40:28 PM by mgfcortez »

Offline FeRcHuLeS

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2017, 06:51:23 PM »
EDIT

i'd don't know a lot of songs have like a busted speaker sound thats the main thing i hate about the music i looked at a few other videos to see if it was just the video i watch but still sounds the same if they get rid of the busted speaker sounds in the songs it'd be cool

Are you talking about the game in specific (what tunes?)?? or another, could you be nice and share links (if it is necessary)?, maybe this is going to make me notice something relevant, and thanks for the thumbs up, I beg god this project to be the best homebrew game ever made for the SMS.   

Offline mgfcortez

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2017, 07:12:58 PM »
Are you talking about the game in specific (what tunes?)?? or another, could you be nice and share links (if it is necessary)?, maybe this is going to make me notice something relevant, and thanks for the thumbs up, I beg god this project to be the best homebrew game ever made for the SMS.   

all the music in the game has that busted speaker sound here's the youtube video i shared before you can hear it right from the start

if you can get rid of that i think the music sounds good i checked other videos of the game and they are all the same i haven't played the game myself i just watched it from beginning to end who knows might be by recording it comes out like that idk but look at the video for a few minutes and you should hear what i'm talking about right away

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2017, 11:41:42 PM »
A SMS version of the game sounds like a great idea to me.
I haven't played much of the original, but there is just something about it that draws me to it.
I'm intrigued by it, I guess.
"Stuff and things."

Offline FeRcHuLeS

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2017, 07:52:45 AM »

all the music in the game has that busted speaker sound here's the youtube video i shared before you can hear it right from the start

if you can get rid of that i think the music sounds good i checked other videos of the game and they are all the same i haven't played the game myself i just watched it from beginning to end who knows might be by recording it comes out like that idk but look at the video for a few minutes and you should hear what i'm talking about right away

What is the synonymous of busted? it's broken? since my native language isn't english I'm not sure what to post because I'm not an music expert at all to begin with, but it seems what you are talking about is due to the "envelope generator" that channel sound manages different volume levels. I haven't heard something similar on any SMS game, so maybe that's not going to be in the music after all (just my theory).

Offline FeRcHuLeS

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2017, 07:58:29 AM »
A SMS version of the game sounds like a great idea to me.
I haven't played much of the original, but there is just something about it that draws me to it.
I'm intrigued by it, I guess.

I highly recommend to finish this game, the script is really good, don't let its graphic style to be a drawback (saddly the ZX Spectrum can't afford more colors).

Offline mgfcortez

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2017, 08:59:37 AM »
What is the synonymous of busted? it's broken? since my native language isn't english I'm not sure what to post because I'm not an music expert at all to begin with, but it seems what you are talking about is due to the "envelope generator" that channel sound manages different volume levels. I haven't heard something similar on any SMS game, so maybe that's not going to be in the music after all (just my theory).

that loud distorted sound in the notes if you ever heard a car speaker that played something to loud and messed the speaker up because of it sounds like music being played out of that kind of speaker

Tags: