Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Castlevania Animated Series to be on Netflix?!  (Read 41050 times)

Offline EstebanT

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
Re: Castlevania Animated Series to be on Netflix?!
« Reply #105 on: February 25, 2017, 11:27:55 PM »
You know that part when you mention IGA? That's the part I obviously was referring to.

Also what goalpost did I move? You are so salty. It's embarrassing to read.

No wonder the fan base is never pleased. They want to see the same shit repeat over and over for all eternity. They want the Castlevania brand to follow ancient manuals and interviews nobody's read in decades.
Castlevania will never rise from the ashes if they keep following a convoluted canon by multiple creators that always took backseat to gameplay.

People in the forms are so terrified of change that a very inoffensive change in design makes them freak out. This is not the first time I notice this either.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2017, 11:46:23 PM by EstebanT »

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place 2017-07-Sprite Contest 2nd PLace 2016-09-Sprite Contest First Place 2015 - Christmas Award First Place 2015 - Halloween Sprite Contest - Second Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« Reply #106 on: February 25, 2017, 11:42:34 PM »
You know that part when you mention IGA? That's the part I obviously was referring to.

That part wasn't meant to you, but to AlexCalvo, who is obviously speaking of IGA's canon when he adds Lisa to his argument. So yeah, your response is pretty much empty then.

Also what goalpost did I move? You are so salty. It's embarrassing to watch.

Yeh yeh salty yeh "I have no better response" yeh

No wonder the fan base is never pleased. They want to see the same shit repeat over and over for all eternity.

Yeah, like, remember that time they made twelve CVIII Netflix series staying true to CVIII in sequence and nobody could get anymore of it? Yeah, those were good times, man.

I'm not trying to throw vitriol at anyone dude, but what happened? I dared write five paragraphs of criticism AND collect castle images on imgur. THE NERVE!!

You're the ones who got assblasted first, not me. I actually expected my criticism to be treated like any member's here: Nobody giving a fuck, and instead offering their own on the matter. Notice up there I was pretty fine until you began treating me as some idiot.

Also: "No wonder the fan base is never pleased"

Memo is in: Most of the fanbase present on this thread is praising this and other decisions for this. I'm ONE dude, not "the fanbase", the exact reason why I don't get I can't criticise the work without being attacked for no reason. And I don't want the same shit repeating over and over -- you misunderstood that by yourself.

They want the Castlevania brand to follow ancient manuals and interviews nobody's read in decades.

You can't say "same shit repeat over and over" implying everyone already knows it, and then say "nobody's read [the story] in decades". Nobody reading the story and therefore not knowing it is one very good reason to make it popular through a show, possibly rekindling the dying flame. The majority of the CV fanbase knows two stories only, as far as I'm aware of: LoS and SotN. LoS because it's new and cinematic, SotN because it's regarded as a legendary game.

It's also funny that you believe I want the plot to be told comma per comma the same thing. I'll let you believe that.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2017, 12:14:32 AM by theplottwist »
The mastermind behind the "Umbra of Sorrow" project. But not the only one.

Offline EstebanT

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #107 on: February 26, 2017, 12:00:05 AM »
I really don't have the will to argue this to the end. And you're entitled to your own opinion.

I came back to the forums after finding out about the poster to hopefully find people who are happy to see Castlevania possibly make a glorious comeback.
Instead I found people bitching about how the castle isn't the same as it was 30 years ago. If this is how the community reacts to a minor change such as that... I really don't want to see what the reaction will be to something more important like story or character designs. I guess I will go back to Reddit or the Bloodstained forums.

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place 2017-07-Sprite Contest 2nd PLace 2016-09-Sprite Contest First Place 2015 - Christmas Award First Place 2015 - Halloween Sprite Contest - Second Place
    • Awards
« Reply #108 on: February 26, 2017, 12:07:43 AM »
I really don't have the will to argue this to the end. And you're entitled to your own opinion.

Same. It's an OPINION. And from day one, on my very first post about this subject, I did clarify it was likely to come from an early standpoint, didn't I? I like to base my points as better as possible, it's not me trying to upstage others. I've done that for years on this place. Me doing it doesn't make my opinion better or worse than anyone's, which why it hurts me to see my opinion singled out from all the others, and treated as the ravings of an imbecile.

Instead I found people bitching about how the castle isn't the same as it was 30 years ago. If this is how the community reacts to a minor change such as that... I really don't want to see what the reaction will be to something more important like story or character designs. I guess I will go back to Reddit or the Bloodstained forums.

So you found three people here saying they dislike (and not outright "hate") the design, and you use that as a sample "for the community"?

It's not even a good sample for the Castlevania Dungeon community, dude!

Well, your vision is narrow, then. This is not really important, but for the sake of this specific discussion, I actually have access to 10,000 Castlevania fans at once, and the overwhelming majority likes this, to the point of thinking the castle looks similar to SotN's design (yeah, seriously). With all due respect, I think my sample of "the community" is better than yours, and not even this allows me to make inferences about "the community".
« Last Edit: February 26, 2017, 12:09:44 AM by theplottwist »

Offline EstebanT

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #109 on: February 26, 2017, 12:15:02 AM »

So you found three people here saying they dislike (and not outright "hate") the design, and you use that as a sample "for the community"?

It's not even a good sample for the Castlevania Dungeon community, dude!

Well, your vision is narrow, then. This is not really important, but for the sake of this specific discussion, I actually have access to 10,000 Castlevania fans at once, and the overwhelming majority likes this, to the point of thinking the castle looks similar to SotN's design (yeah, seriously). With all due respect, I think my sample of "the community" is better than yours, and not even this allows me to make inferences about "the community".

I can't argue with that. This thread is probably not representative of the community as a whole. My apologies.

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #110 on: February 26, 2017, 01:31:44 AM »
It may also be good to note that the main people that have a problem with this are those of us with deep-rooted involvement with the canon.

Kinda goes with the territory when you take a step back and actually look at it.

Trøllabundin eri eg, inn í hjartarót.

Offline Foffy

• Legendary Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #111 on: February 26, 2017, 04:53:51 AM »
Regarding the castle, I think the image looks like it's trying too hard to make it stand out. It looks like an attempt was made with the question "how do we make a castle stand out from just being a castle (fans know there's more to it as is...) to looking like a home for demonic happenings," and in that sense, I can get it.

However, that should almost immediately begin to raise questions of the themes if the series are going to be properly respected. If they're making a very "edgy" castle, who is to say the rest of the show isn't focused on being this type of dark fantasy experience? It makes me worry, for it may likely just be using the name and some themes of the IP to pitch a show. I am quite sure we'll get a random "what is a man" line, just like we did with the Lords games...

I'm not expecting much of anything with this show. The fact it was in incubation for so long should be the first red flag. Then comes the animation studio, then some staff involved. At best, I am expecting a unique 'take" on the series, but I cannot imagine it even being close to capturing the style of feel of the pre-Lords games. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if Konami is overseeing this to rebrand and market the IP, just like what Capcom is doing with Mega Man and the animated show in the works as well. Maybe that should concern us more than the show itself...
« Last Edit: February 26, 2017, 05:05:49 AM by Foffy »

Offline TatteredSeraph

• Queen of the Damned
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #112 on: February 26, 2017, 10:23:40 AM »
Rather than trying to pull apart evrything and read super hard into everything based on one preview poster, I think we need to wait just a little longer to get a bit more info first.  Then we can start making better and more precise jdgements on stuff, rather than tear each other apart.  Yes, we care a heck of a lot about this series (i.e the games) and we want to see our cherished games adapted well.  The makers also will likely be aware of how much legacy they have riding on their shoulders, and they won't be able to pelase absolutely everyone, at the end of the day sadly.  I'm waiting and seeing.
"Blood is Family. Blood is Power. Blood is Everything"

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #113 on: February 26, 2017, 07:31:53 PM »
The Castle needs more Castle.
Right now it just looks like a glorified derelict shipwreck crow's nest with extra towers added on.

I mean, I like it... I just don't think it's as large as the castles in the game.  Maybe it'll be a DrWho "Bigger on the Inside" or something, I don't know.
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline zangetsu468

• Master Hunter
  • God bless the hustler, curse the first sleeper
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #114 on: February 26, 2017, 09:35:12 PM »
I think with some more adequate scaling, the castle could've looked more "complete" while still retaining a classic Castlevania feel (eerie) rather than a slasher film ost cover.

Observe: https://instagram.com/p/BRANnzlFP8f/
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<[Judgement]>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

**<<<<<SuperCVIV>COTM<<<<<<<<+
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^
                                 ^      l   v  ^    +<<<<<<<BE
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^  
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     BE>>> VK<**   
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     ^          ^   
            +<<<<<Legends>HC>OOS>LOD>64       ^
            v                           l              ^                ^
            v                           l     BE>> * <<<BE    RE
            v                           l      ^               ^       ^
LOI>CVIII>COD>AR>BR>CVC>CVII>HOD>ROB>SOTN>OOE>BL>POR>AOS>DOS>>>KD
                                                                          v
                                                                         BE>*  
BE=Bad Ending
RE=Richter Ending

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #115 on: February 26, 2017, 10:10:39 PM »
Maybe it'll be a DrWho "Bigger on the Inside" or something, I don't know.

I'm with you.

I prefer this one. It has the eerie feeling down.

Offline zangetsu468

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #116 on: February 26, 2017, 10:59:32 PM »
I prefer this one. It has the eerie feeling down.

Coming from the depths of the dungeon, that's a massive compliment. Thank you.

v
                                                                         BE>*  
BE=Bad Ending
RE=Richter Ending

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
    • Awards
« Reply #117 on: February 26, 2017, 11:47:34 PM »
+1
I think with some more adequate scaling, the castle could've looked more "complete" while still retaining a classic Castlevania feel (eerie) rather than a slasher film ost cover.

Also liked your concept. I went and did my own, too:

Of course, it looks like a hack job and you can see the repeating texture everywhere or things slanted wrong. The point though was to show what I meant: Bulkier base, MANY less floating towers, keeping only one: Dracula's (like, the original appears to have SIX) and a more "compressed", shorter appearance. Also made the stairway to Dracula shorter, bringing his tower more next to the main tower. Kept two of the overly long bridges, though I'd still remove one of them maybe (the front one).

Doing this I realized that part of my issue with the original poster is that the castle looks too much like a "tower", too tall and too slim, with too much negative space, and not much like a fortress. All the unnatural hanging towers and excess of bridges contribute to enhancing the "obviously evil/supernatural" look.

This is not a genius job, this reflects MY OPINION only, and my intention is just to illustrate better what I mean, and not "do better than the person doing this".
« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 01:23:30 AM by theplottwist »

Offline zangetsu468

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #118 on: February 27, 2017, 12:10:57 AM »
Thanks Plottwist. I like your concept too. I'd even say if you deleted the 1/3 portion of the castle to the right hand side and retained the rest, that would be pretty much spot on imo.
It would also illustrate that there's an entry drawbridge and castle keep (left) ad crossing that bridge takes you into the bulk of the castle (right, underneath the blood moon.)

The top of the castle and the throne room the artist basically nailed, it's the fluff underneath which seems "eroded" that just wasn't working for me. That and what appeared to be an additional throneroom.

v
                                                                         BE>*  
BE=Bad Ending
RE=Richter Ending

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
    • Awards
« Reply #119 on: February 27, 2017, 12:16:01 AM »
Thanks Plottwist. I like your concept too. I'd even say if you deleted the 1/3 portion of the castle to the right hand side and retained the rest, that would be pretty much spot on imo.
It would also illustrate that there's an entry drawbridge and castle keep (left) ad crossing that bridge takes you into the bulk of the castle (right, underneath the blood moon.)

The top of the castle and the throne room the artist basically nailed, it's the fluff underneath which seems "eroded" that just wasn't working for me. That and what appeared to be an additional throneroom.

Do you know what the original poster passingly reminds me of? This:

But with a great deal more hanging towers.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 12:18:51 AM by theplottwist »

Tags:

anything