Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Castlevania Animated Series to be on Netflix?!  (Read 41463 times)

Offline EstebanT

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
Re: Castlevania Animated Series to be on Netflix?!
« Reply #75 on: February 24, 2017, 10:36:44 AM »
Castlevanias story has always been shit. It comes naturally with it being a video game.
I personally don't love Draculas Curse for its great writing. I love it because I like the gameplay.

This is a tv show. Story is the main draw. It will succeed or fail in its ability to tell a good story.
The story of Castlevania III can be summed up in a single sentence "Trevor, Sypha, Alucard and Grant beat Dracula". There's quite a bit of room for improvement there.

I hope he doesn't try to implement 30 years of nonsense only a small percentage of viewers will care about.

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #76 on: February 24, 2017, 11:38:02 AM »
Nobody wants the other 30 years of material in the show, dude. They released a teaser image and it doesn't make much sense as a design and some of us take issue with that for various reasons.

I do hope you're not implying that a lesser number of opinions makes them lesser in value.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 11:43:06 AM by Dracula9 »

Trøllabundin eri eg, inn í hjartarót.

Offline chainsawmidget

• that guy
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #77 on: February 24, 2017, 12:01:54 PM »
It's Dracula's castle, not Rl'yeh.
Then why is Cthulhu in it?

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
« Reply #78 on: February 24, 2017, 12:34:47 PM »
Because nobody gets Cthulhu right and play him off as some enemy that can be killed.

Offline EstebanT

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #79 on: February 24, 2017, 01:25:56 PM »
Nobody wants the other 30 years of material in the show, dude.

Maybe YOU don't.

Also, this is just a feeling I have, but I think the idea of Dracula living in such a structure (it's obviously supposed to convey a sense of 'evilness' ) clashes with how Dracula was like as a person before Lisa's death.

I went and captured many forms of the castle to see if I'm not being a dick for no reason. Conclusion: I'm pretty sure I'm not.

See, the castle looks mostly normal except for specific details -- it generally has there Dracula's tower sustained over nothing, and overly long bridges. Sometimes very tall towers, sometimes it's slightly too big to be a believable castle. Amongst the most normal ones, the most egregious example is Chronicles' version, and even so it doesn't look as incredibly eldritch, which a lot of sustenance to hold the suspended part.

To say there AREN'T instances of overly bizarre forms at all is incorrect: I've captured The Adventure's and Belmont's Revenge's castles. One looks like an alien hive, the other looks like a futuristic castle.

But c'mon, man... These are two examples against many others of the castle NOT looking like Sauron's Summer Abode. Though I agree it doesn't look bad from the artistic standpoint, this one on the poster is looking too stereotypically evil for my tastes and sending me the wrong message.

The castle is generally elegant before being terrifying. As Dracula's description says -- he is cruel, but values elegance. And this is what is not selling the poster to me.

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
    • Awards
« Reply #80 on: February 24, 2017, 02:08:34 PM »
Cv3 marks a very important point in Dracula's story, one whereupon he finally goes all out against humanity. The factors that lead to this point are indeed from other parts of the canon and rightly should not be ignored if the studio plans on having a flushed out backstory. The others are completely Justified in their concerns involving this.

Cv3 might not need to include these elements for its own story to work, but as we all know, television thrives on storytelling, and as such excluding such important elements to the story at large would not be a wise move.

Perhaps they intend to use some of these elements, perhaps they don't. We have no idea at present. What we do know is the existing details about the series in conjunction with the teaser image they have released--a teaser image which, accounting for the simple fact that we have only our own devices and knowledge to fill in the gaps we currently do not know, does not stack up with what we do. The castle design they have released, assuming it is finalized and permanent and is intended to be used in the final show, seems very out of place in regards to all known aspects of the series and its depiction of the true Castle. As a direct result, those of us with deep-rooted involvement with the canon are currently left only to assume that the design is being done for cool points alone. Combine this with other existing precedents such as the Abomination that is the Mega Man cartoon and you have a perfect recipe for concern.

You may quote everybody all day in any number of attempts to throw a wrench into what I am saying, but the simple fact of the matter is there is far more behind this mindset then simply being pissy the design is it to our tastes. If one major aesthetic facet appears to have been significantly altered for the sake of looking cool, then what else is on that chopping block? Shore, we don't know one way or the other right now, but as I've mentioned we currently can only fill in the gaps with what information we have and know,  and that is precisely what several of us are doing.

And we don't like where are inferences seemed to lead. We could be wrong, we could be right, but at the end of the day we can only work with what we have.

And right now what we have does not bode well for some of us, nothing more and nothing less. If we are guilty of nitpicking too much, then so too are some of you guilty for anatgonizing us for doing so. Our thoughts and perspectives are not lesser in quality simply because they do not align with your own.

PostScript: haha wow my phone's voice to text really fucked this one up didn't it sorry for a couple of those
« Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 02:10:48 PM by Dracula9 »

Offline EstebanT

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #81 on: February 24, 2017, 02:22:12 PM »
Cv3 marks a very important point in Dracula's story, one whereupon he finally goes all out against humanity. The factors that lead to this point are indeed from other parts of the canon and rightly should not be ignored if the studio plans on having a flushed out backstory. The others are completely Justified in their concerns involving this.

Cv3 might not need to include these elements for its own story to work, but as we all know, television thrives on storytelling, and as such excluding such important elements to the story at large would not be a wise move.

Perhaps they intend to use some of these elements, perhaps they don't. We have no idea at present. What we do know is the existing details about the series in conjunction with the teaser image they have released--a teaser image which, accounting for the simple fact that we have only our own devices and knowledge to fill in the gaps we currently do not know, does not stack up with what we do. The castle design they have released, assuming it is finalized and permanent and is intended to be used in the final show, seems very out of place in regards to all known aspects of the series and its depiction of the true Castle. As a direct result, those of us with deep-rooted involvement with the canon are currently left only to assume that the design is being done for cool points alone. Combine this with other existing precedents such as the Abomination that is the Mega Man cartoon and you have a perfect recipe for concern.

You may quote everybody all day in any number of attempts to throw a wrench into what I am saying, but the simple fact of the matter is there is far more behind this mindset then simply being pissy the design is it to our tastes. If one major aesthetic facet appears to have been significantly altered for the sake of looking cool, then what else is on that chopping block? Shore, we don't know one way or the other right now, but as I've mentioned we currently can only fill in the gaps with what information we have and know,  and that is precisely what several of us are doing.

And we don't like where are inferences seemed to lead. We could be wrong, we could be right, but at the end of the day we can only work with what we have.

And right now what we have does not bode well for some of us, nothing more and nothing less. If we are guilty of nitpicking too much, then so too are some of you guilty for anatgonizing us for doing so. Our thoughts and perspectives are not lesser in quality simply because they do not align with your own.

PostScript: haha wow my phone's voice to text really fucked this one up didn't it sorry for a couple of those

I can respect this. There is a surprising amount of nuance in your opinion I didn't get a feel for when I read earlier posts by you.

I think our difference of opinion is basically this:

You: "Judging only by the teser image, we can already see they are taking the series in a direction I don't like. I see red flags from previous terrible game adaptations"

Me: "Judging only by the teser image, we can already see they are taking the series in a different direction which we have never seen before. Change can be a good thing and I prefer art take risks."

I see both opinions as valid until we see more.

By the way... a redditor called DaemonXHUN found a high resolution version of the castle.
https://i.redd.it/rqj5d1bz7qhy.jpg

I like it even more now honestly.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 02:24:43 PM by EstebanT »

Offline SecretWeapon

• Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #82 on: February 24, 2017, 02:47:34 PM »
"omg why would Virgin Mary-like Lisa live in that castle" She married a bloodsucking killer omg. Living in a weird castle would be the least weird thing in her relationship and for all we know, Drac could look normal but the fucked up Castle is there to showcase he is inhuman and besides, if this is the castle CV3 during CV3 it means Drac war started and the castle being grotesque makes sense aswell.

Personally its my 2nd favorite castle exterior, 1st one is Aria's.

Offline Belmontoya

• Composer/ Voice Actor
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-09-Sprite Contest 3rd Place
    • Awards
« Reply #83 on: February 24, 2017, 02:53:41 PM »
It's nice to see a visually interesting and different castle for Dracula.
I haven't seen one of those since Dracula by Coppola.

As a fan I'm giving this new series a clean slate and an opportunity to portray Castlevania any way they choose. If it's good and feels like Castlevania, I'll be happy. If it's not, oh well.

I've read some questionable comments about heavy violence and whatnot. It's not a bad thing but it was an awkward offputing thing to highlight in an interview.

But people can have foot in mouth syndrome sometimes so I'm not going to hold it against him as I watch the content unfurl. I want to just take it in with clear judgement as it is released.

I'm going to give Shankar the same chance I would want. That seems fair to me.

If it turns out not good then I just won't watch it.

But I think everyone should respect each others feelings. You guys all have good points.

« Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 02:55:55 PM by Belmontoya »
The worst monsters are human.

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place 2017-07-Sprite Contest 2nd PLace 2016-09-Sprite Contest First Place 2015 - Christmas Award First Place 2015 - Halloween Sprite Contest - Second Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« Reply #84 on: February 24, 2017, 02:58:41 PM »
This is a teaser poster.  A. TEASER. POSTER.

Nobody is denying that. But there's this: This series is supposed to come out this year. How much long do you think they have to change this stuff? How early do you think this poster is? My bet? Not as early as you believe. I'll be surprised if this design changed in any significant manner from this point onwards.

Some people here are working really hard to get themselves worked up over this.

Well I'm sorry I demand some quality on the series I like and plan to consume! Even you think this castle design is mediocre. What, you think the EPONYMOUS CHARACTER'S design being mediocre is not something to be worked up about? How many concept artworks do you think there existed before this one? What do you think is the mindset for choosing this one to represent the work, even knowing it's early?

See what I mean?

I know we all have our own beloved head canon, our own beloved filter for seeing the series.  But the truth is nothing we've seen so far indicates anything too far flung from what we should expect from a Castlevania adaptation.

Just because I expect subpar work doesn't mean I should be happy about it.

My recommendation until we see more is for people to calm down, and don't try to pick every new scrap of info apart to try and figure out where it's going wrong.

You believe this is early? Then I think it'd be best for us to criticize the shit out of it right now so they can see it and change it accordingly before the show comes out.

The truth of the matter is that the majority is fawning over this ever since its inception, however. I'm just one guy with five paragraphs. Five paragraphs in a sea of agreement will not make one ripple, realistically speaking.

I get your point. You think this is too early to draw solid conclusions (something I have specified clearly on my criticism). However neither of us can prove how early it is. You think it's a safe bet to shut up. I think it's a safe bet to assume this is either final or next to final because we're already in 2017.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 03:32:04 PM by theplottwist »
The mastermind behind the "Umbra of Sorrow" project. But not the only one.

Offline SecretWeapon

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #85 on: February 24, 2017, 03:25:29 PM »
"they change it accordingly before the show comes out" hahaha

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #86 on: February 24, 2017, 03:43:55 PM »
"omg why would Virgin Mary-like Lisa live in that castle" She married a bloodsucking killer omg.

What you're saying here is interesting because it illustrates the problem I was talking about earlier. Since you're describing Dracula as already being a "bloodsucking killer" at that point in time it seems that in your mind his transformation into villain has already been completed. Lisa is supposed to be the catalyst that causes Dracula to take up the mantle of Dark Lord.We are told Dracula's love for her made it possible for him to regain a part of his humanity. This in turn helps make Dracula a more sympathetic and tragic character. That's the function their relationship plays in the overall plot.

Rushing Dracula into the role of main villain ruins this because it undermines Dracula's development as a character. Therefore, before Lisa's death, Dracula has to be relatable on a certain level otherwise the audience doesn't care someone close to him has died.

(This is just a general comment, it's not a criticism of the animated series).

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place 2017-07-Sprite Contest 2nd PLace 2016-09-Sprite Contest First Place 2015 - Christmas Award First Place 2015 - Halloween Sprite Contest - Second Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« Reply #87 on: February 24, 2017, 04:10:04 PM »
"they change it accordingly before the show comes out" hahaha

This was not me acting like my opinion is important in any way. The imediate next paragraph clarifies this.

The point I was making is that saying that this is an early thing should be reason enough to let me criticize it.
The mastermind behind the "Umbra of Sorrow" project. But not the only one.

Offline SecretWeapon

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #88 on: February 24, 2017, 04:25:17 PM »
Afaik Dracula was already a vampire. He may have been a "nice" vampire but i doubr he was Edward Cullen-ing it and using deers or whatever.

Offline zangetsu468

• Master Hunter
  • God bless the hustler, curse the first sleeper
    • Awards
« Reply #89 on: February 24, 2017, 04:50:50 PM »
The HD image looks better. If they just deleted the bottom-right portion of the Castle itself it would be better imho.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<[Judgement]>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

**<<<<<SuperCVIV>COTM<<<<<<<<+
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^
                                 ^      l   v  ^    +<<<<<<<BE
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^  
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     BE>>> VK<**   
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     ^          ^   
            +<<<<<Legends>HC>OOS>LOD>64       ^
            v                           l              ^                ^
            v                           l     BE>> * <<<BE    RE
            v                           l      ^               ^       ^
LOI>CVIII>COD>AR>BR>CVC>CVII>HOD>ROB>SOTN>OOE>BL>POR>AOS>DOS>>>KD