Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: So, this is me digging up a quote by me from a year ago  (Read 5799 times)

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
Re: So, this is me digging up a quote by me from a year ago
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2017, 05:08:48 PM »
I think the semantic differences of "god" is the crux of the issue here.

I, for instance, use it pretty much universally the way one would describe great beings of vastly inhuman power. Thematically-speaking, all secular gods humanity's come up with stem from this--what is the act of divine cosmic creation, if not the ultimate form of vastly inhuman power? The same goes for pretty much any other power of ability considered divine in nature. I don't use the term in a singular sense.

Besides, consider the times--most of CV takes place in medieval times. Medieval people were ignorant and easily swayed by faith--for a people who believe in and worship, say, the Christian god (a being believed to be the ultimate bringer and source of goodness and light), then a being such as Dracula who embodies the antithesis of everything they believe in would easily be able to considered to be a god in his own right. If there's a singular powerful being signifying goodness and faith in humanity, then a singular powerful being signifying evil and hatred for humanity should rightly follow the same rules. Only a scant few know of Dracula's ability to be slain, and those few are generally depicted as the Belmonts and their allies, and the Church. All people with a firmer grasp on the idea of religion, godhood, and the divine than any village of peasants would. As Lament even said, Mathias was educated in a time where that was a rarity, so we know that this distinction between the upper and lower classes is defined within the universe.

Of course, the Japanese just use "god" loosely to begin with, and it's perhaps unlikely they meant it in thid manner, but as far as looking at it from a Western angle goes the above justifies it all the same. The people believe in an ultimate god of light, and Dracula (being the antithesis of that god's principles and an openly self-declared enemy of him) fits the bill for an ultimate god of darkness. Something something light and darkness cannot exist without each other's disparity something something.

So, is Dracula actually on-par with a Christian or other actual religion's notion of deism and godhood? Hit-or-miss, but mostly more of a miss as outside of 1999 his powers aren't exactly global or cosmic in scale. But does he fit the bill for an inhuman being with a perceived immortal form and a vast repertoire of great and terrible power at his disposal? Absolutely. Short of hanging out in the sky and controlling all of existence, Dracula fits the bill of godhood pretty well, all things considered.

There's a certain phrase that I think summarizes this whole matter rather nicely:

"The brighter the flame, the deeper its shadow."
« Last Edit: March 04, 2017, 05:12:03 PM by Dracula9 »

Trøllabundin eri eg, inn í hjartarót.

Tags: