Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Help Needed!  (Read 6527 times)

Offline FinnishFlame

• The Last Spriter of CvBla
  • Oikeutettu Satunnaisuuden
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin (NDS)
« on: March 06, 2017, 11:32:42 AM »
I'm not sure where to put this, so I'm just...going to put it here. Apologies.

I come representing the dying forums of Serio's Castlevania Fighter. I've heard rumor that there is an existing grudge between these forums against each other, and I've been told it's been mostly patched. However, if there is still such a thing, and it still stands, I am simply the messenger; please don't direct comments at me.

I thought I'd make an official post here about needing help on our forum. Considering the number of contributing members are going down, and the number of visiting guests seem to be going up, I figured an official request could work. The state of our game isn't going so well, as updates are few and far between, and I'm the only active spriter, and even I'm getting somewhat stagnant.

Anyhow, to put this all in one place, there are numerous parts in which our current forum/game requires much help if it is to survive, remain relevant, and not fall into obscurity.

- Spriters (make the in-game art, the characters themselves.)
 - Artists (draw the character profiles.)
 - Story Writers
 - Critics (judge any input with constructive criticism.)
 - Balancers (suggest ways to balance characters and bosses, make sure they aren't overpowered. Also includes suggestions for movesets and such.)
 - Voice Actors
 - Bug Reporters

I'd hate to say that I'm pleading for help, but we seem to be on our last legs, so to speak. Hopefully I could recruit some individuals to assist this project?
"Always Alert."

Offline AlexCalvo

• The man.
  • Legendary Hunter
  • No longer a jerk, but still wonderful.
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2017, 02:25:34 PM »
I'd be pretty interested in getting involved in the writing of any Castlevania project. I have a lot of material I can show you to give you an idea if I'm the right guy for the job.
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/13104670/1/Castlevania-Birth-of-the-Dragon

Dracula was not always a monster. He was once a man named Mathias Cronqvist. A flawed, conflicted, genius of a man. How did the educated, aristocratic, crusader who piously served the church become a vampire, and eventually the Dark Lord himself, the opposing force to God? From a very young age terrors and tragedy shaped the man into the king of all evil. This is his story.

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2017, 03:15:37 PM »
- Voice Actors

Stagnant's a good word for the state of the boards. I offered this service ages ago and was never given anything to work with or even PM'd or talked to about options as I asked to be. Kind of annoying to see it being asked for so passionately when someone who freely offered it was barely talked to about it.

Also, AFAIK the grudge wasn't between the boards themselves but specific members. Could be wrong, though. Either way, dust does indeed seem settled.

Have any of you considered taking a break from the whole thing? Everyone worked seemingly nonstop for ages on getting stuff for the thing, and this seems to me more like burnout than "it's gonna die." Can't force motivation.

Trøllabundin eri eg, inn í hjartarót.

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2017, 03:49:22 PM »
There's no grudge between forums.
I would know.

Serio himself was banned from this forum ages ago, but that was basically business as usual.  I personally have nothing against the guy, but he did not follow the rules that were here, so he had to go.  Hell, I still occasionally talk to him on Skype along with other people regarding Minecraft and whatnot.

I also created many of the portraits that he wanted, when he asked.  I thought he was done with most portraits.  He never asked for any new ones.  I assumed it was because he found better artists or something.
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2017, 04:11:17 PM »
I can't remember, but I think he might've still been sore about it or whatever and that was why he stopped asking.

Of course, the posts I'm referring to were back in the early days of when the CVBla boards were an imageboard rather than a forum, so there's going quite a few years back. Too far back to regard anything said as still being current.

Offline FinnishFlame

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2017, 04:32:14 PM »
It's good to see such an active response. As said, here's the link to the CvBla forums:

http://serio.piiym.net/cvbla/board/index.php

And, of course, there should be many videos online about what the game is and how it's played.

Of course, personally I'm doing this for a reason, as if the forum dies/the game stops being updated, then...everything I've sprited for goes to waste - it took like two years and it still hasn't been added, lol.

If somehow you do want to help - power be with you - please make a post or something on the forum. I can't speak for the rest of the forum, but I can hopefully say that we would love to have new help on its rejuvenation!

EDIT~

Sorry, just noticed these:

Have any of you considered taking a break from the whole thing? Everyone worked seemingly nonstop for ages on getting stuff for the thing, and this seems to me more like burnout than "it's gonna die." Can't force motivation.

Hm...Now that I think of it, I've only stopped recently, after doing like seven characters...I guess I need a break now, and if I stop, it looks like all activity on the forum would cease, as I have seen in my absence.

Also, if I recall correctly, I believe I've gotten back to you on that voice acting thing. You seemed busy though.

I also created many of the portraits that he wanted, when he asked.  I thought he was done with most portraits.  He never asked for any new ones.  I assumed it was because he found better artists or something.

Oh, dang. Personally I've worked on some of the portraits trying to patch up the missing ones/the ones that (no offense) are believed to not be up to par with the game. It's pure death, really. Personally, I'd like to ask you to keep on doing that - we'd need it - if I'm in a position to ask, in the first place. iei

I'd be pretty interested in getting involved in the writing of any Castlevania project. I have a lot of material I can show you to give you an idea if I'm the right guy for the job.

We might not be dying after all. If you'd like, make a post on the forums. However, do be warned, as many have tried contributing through spritework and whatnot, and throughout my time there personally, only one other individual has contributed 'substantially' to the project without quitting or mysteriously disappearing. Or, unceremoniously taken by ninjas, but we don't really talk about that much.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2017, 04:40:55 PM by FinnishFlame »
"Always Alert."

Offline eryson

• The Fangaems Connoisseur
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: DraculaXX (SNES)
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2017, 05:03:28 PM »
We're interested in making this game's development flowing again, so It's why we're here calling for help. ;D

Here in the forums we can find some people that can contribute greatly, and offering the chance to those that not knew the game until now to play it, as the game is in Beta but it's fully playable.

Let's make this game great again!  ;D

Offline Belmontoya

• Composer/ Voice Actor
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-09-Sprite Contest 3rd Place
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2017, 05:10:32 PM »
Does this game have a title?

Or is it just Castlevania Fighter, or Serio's Castlevania Fighter?

My advice is to keep your core team as small as possible and only with reliable people. This will keep your asset quality consistent, maintain a steady work pace, and will simplify communication.

I can't offer my help, but I can offer my best wishes and hopes for your project!

It's a great concept and it's nice to see a CV fan game doing something different.

Good luck! ????

Also, you probably should have posted this in the fan stuff section. More people will look for projects to join there.

The worst monsters are human.

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2017, 05:46:54 PM »
Also, if I recall correctly, I believe I've gotten back to you on that voice acting thing. You seemed busy though.

Nein, mein herr.

I half-considered doing Ronald but couldn't really get into it so nothing of value came out of it. After that, you posted this

and I clarified that I'd been doing plenty elsewhere, not that I'd been too busy to contribute. I then noted that I "just never really got a clear answer as to whether or not I was wanted for anything/what I'd have to do." I never got that PM, either.

My voice is always at CVBla's disposal should it have anything I can do, but I cannot work with nothing.

Offline FinnishFlame

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2017, 06:43:55 PM »
Nein, mein herr.

I half-considered doing Ronald but couldn't really get into it so nothing of value came out of it. After that, you posted this

and I clarified that I'd been doing plenty elsewhere, not that I'd been too busy to contribute. I then noted that I "just never really got a clear answer as to whether or not I was wanted for anything/what I'd have to do." I never got that PM, either.

My voice is always at CVBla's disposal should it have anything I can do, but I cannot work with nothing.

Sorry about that. I just tend to take things differently. PMing must have slipped my mind. Apologies for that as well.

On another note, I'm fairly sure there was a list of quotes somewhere, but I think (?) we're already set for killer ronald. Weren't you asking about voicing Dmitrii's English version?

I'll find out a list of clips we'd need.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 08:44:05 AM by FinnishFlame »
"Always Alert."

Offline chainsawmidget

• that guy
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2017, 07:11:47 PM »
You listed story writers.  What exactly do you need there?

Offline Jop

• Vampire Hunter
  • Awards 2017-09-Sprite Contest 3rd Place 2017-12-Holiday Sprite Award First Place 2016-04-Story Contest - 1st place 2015-04- Sprite Contest Gold 2015-05- Sprite Contest 1st Place
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2017, 07:23:06 AM »
Well perhaps I can help in sprites but just a little, remember in my times trying to make Gabriel, Trevor, Simon & Victor from LoS send to Serio a pm with all i make, i think dosnt fit with the art, most of the time i cant do the SotN style well so i think that was the kill, so perhaps i can help a little with ideas, moves and someone can edit to make it look better.

Offline FinnishFlame

• Awards
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2017, 08:41:31 AM »
You listed story writers.  What exactly do you need there?

The game's arcade mode is supposed to have a story for each character. However, as I see it only a few have workable stories, and those are more or less obsolete, as new bosses have been added and such. This said, apparently all characters need to have usable stories for that to be implemented correctly. As it stands, only Frog has a story, and that's more or less a troll story anyways.

I've dabbled a bit in story writing - it's basically writing interactions between two characters for most of the time, kind of like in the DS Castlevanias.

Well perhaps I can help in sprites but just a little, remember in my times trying to make Gabriel, Trevor, Simon & Victor from LoS send to Serio a pm with all i make, i think dosnt fit with the art, most of the time i cant do the SotN style well so i think that was the kill, so perhaps i can help a little with ideas, moves and someone can edit to make it look better.

Well, I can say that I've finally played LoS2, so I think I should be able to criticize a bit. It's quite evident that Lukmendes has probably played it as well, so I think he could help there. It's less about preexisting skill and more about spritework at all. My first sprites were horrible.

On our forums, I have just created a thread, entitled 'Sprite Sharing Thread' in which individuals may share their spritework. They do not need to be related to Castlevania, but through criticism and support, I believe one could be ready to contribute after a while - I needed about six months or so to get comfortable with the whole process, but it worked nonetheless. Now that there's a thread on it, it should ideally be faster.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 03:56:59 PM by FinnishFlame »
"Always Alert."

Offline Jop

• Vampire Hunter
  • Awards 2017-09-Sprite Contest 3rd Place 2017-12-Holiday Sprite Award First Place 2016-04-Story Contest - 1st place 2015-04- Sprite Contest Gold 2015-05- Sprite Contest 1st Place
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2017, 06:52:49 PM »
Well, I can say that I've finally played LoS2, so I think I should be able to criticize a bit. It's quite evident that Lukmendes has probably played it as well, so I think he could help there. It's less about preexisting skill and more about spritework at all. My first sprites were horrible.

Well you can check here some works i make:
http://drameloch.deviantart.com/
There help me too a good friend.

Offline FinnishFlame

• Awards
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2017, 07:14:04 AM »
Well you can check here some works i make:
http://drameloch.deviantart.com/
There help me too a good friend.

Very interesting. The only 'problem' I see here is that the colors are a bit off, and maybe some of the sizing. That can be fixed easily. Of course, we'd need a whole spritesheet; all I really see is individual sprites.
"Always Alert."

Tags: