Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Your Best Gaming Accomplishments  (Read 5538 times)

Offline JR

• Home Gym Rat
  • Master Hunter
  • That Star Wars will make a million bucks someday.
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« on: March 13, 2017, 12:43:10 AM »
I don't remember if this has been done before - I'm sure it has - but a search turned up nothing.

What are some of your proudest accomplishments in gaming? I think it would be cool to hear about some of the impressive feats everyone has pulled off.

I'll start...and I really hope this doesn't come off as being overly self-indulgent...

-Beat both loops of Ghosts N Goblins. Just did this recently...this is the whole thing that made me think about gaming accomplishments in the first place. This has been so elusive for me: I'd try several times over the course of 6 or 7 years or so, only to get stuck on Stage 6 (the boss gauntlet before the final boss). But I was so ecstatic that I was finally able to beat it not once, but twice, and put the whole thing behind me.

-Beat every Contra game I've played. The only ones I haven't played are the PS1 games and Neo Contra...and any mobile ones or whatever. That includes playing through both NES games with one life, having a near-perfect run of Shattered Soldier (S Rank on all stages except for the last one...I eventually ran out of patience with that game), and Contra 4 on Hard (just barely). If there's a series that just comes naturally for me, it's Contra. Not my absolute favorite franchise, but it's still pretty high up there for me.

-Beat God of War on God Mode. I like this one because it gives you supplementary story material when you beat the hardest difficulty (same reason I played through the Splatterhouse remake on Hard and beat all of the challenges...I wanted to unlock more of Dr. West's journal). The funniest part was calling the secret phone number they give you and hearing Kratos' completely out-of-character, congratulatory speech he gives you. I couldn't believe the line was still open, since I had played it at least a few years after it was released.

-Wolfenstein: The New Order and The Old Blood, both on Uber Mode. From what I hear, this is a fairly easy "Hardest" mode for a shooter, but I'm not a "badass" at shooters by any stretch of the imagination. And after getting all of the collectibles on an easier difficulty, it was fun to go back and just play the game on Uber, unencumbered by exploration.

-The Ninja Gaiden series: games 1 and 2 for both the NES and the PS3/360. The NES games are a lot easier once you figure out how to navigate the enemy spawn points without having to kill 3 dozen respawning eagles. And if it didn't let you continue where you left off on the final boss forms (i.e. killing the first boss, dying on the second one, then returning and starting back on the second boss), I can confidently say that I'd never be able to beat the NES games. I like these games not only for the sense of satisfaction it gives you upon completion, but the stages and enemies becoming progressively more demonic in nature was always awesome to me. 

-Unlocking the 4th Survivor in Resident Evil 2. It took me several weeks to do this, since I didn't understand how to properly do each save file to unlock this. I had that game down to a science, and like RE4, I played it so much that I don't know if I'd ever want to go back again...well, ok, probably one of these days. I sucked at the 4th Survivor, though. I got to the second-to-last screen a handful of times, but could just never beat it.

-Getting past floor 100 of Tower Mode in Double Dragon IV. This one was pretty recent, and you really have to have a good strategy down and be able to carry it out fairly well. So much can go wrong so quickly that a good run can turn into a disaster with just one or two errors in judgment. Like getting shot by one of the Okada Sisters, getting knocked down in a boss room only to get hit by a fireball as you're getting up, etc. This one took me a few weeks of on-and-off playing.

And as a follow-up, which accomplishments do you want to complete in the future?

For me, I want to beat Ghouls N Ghosts (arcade), and - to a lesser extent - Super Ghouls N Ghosts. There's just something about the notoriety and the overall aesthetics of these games that I love. Well, maybe not Super GNG so much, but I've played enough of it that I just want to beat it both times (close but no cigar so far).

Beat Contra III on Hard. This hard mode is tough as balls. I get stuck on the boss with the wings and the tail that slams against the wall. Honestly, I don't enjoy this one as much as the other Contra games, but when I lose, I feel like the gauntlet has been thrown, and I always have to come back and try again.

Beat Renegade (NES) on the third loop. I can get to the last stage with no problem, but I get stuck in a room that has like 4 or 5 bosses from Stage 2, and you fight them 2 at a time. It's been impossible for me to beat them inside of the time limit the game gives you. It's one of those things that I only want to beat it because I can't.  ;D
It's like Who Wants to Be a Millionaire, but instead it's Who Wants Fried Chicken? I do.

Offline suomynona

• Vampire Hunter
  • Bloodstained : Delay of the Night
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow (GBA)
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2017, 04:34:00 AM »
Well...

Beaten AoS + Julius Mode
Beaten SC4 in 8 hours
Beaten DoS + Julius Mode
Beaten Zelda Breath of the Wild in a week
39th best Pokemon player in Australian Senior division 2015

That's pretty much it. I really want to beat AoS Hard mode. Stuck on Death, adn gotta beat PoR too. Stuck on Dracula.

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2017, 04:42:12 AM »
GoWII Titan Mode. Fucking translator.
Contra without dying.
Ninja Gaiden (NES) without a game over (in the dictionary, this entry says "See: Hell").
Dark Souls naked run.
MGS3 European Extreme, no kills.
Beating FFVII with only starter equipment (much harder than it sounds).
Beating FFVIII without Squall (sounds simple, but Squall breaks the game in half and not relying on him outside of forced party inclusion keeps a consistent dififculty).

Trøllabundin eri eg, inn í hjartarót.

Offline zangetsu468

• Master Hunter
  • God bless the hustler, curse the first sleeper
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2017, 05:39:59 AM »
To name a few:

Platforming
- Speedrunning Megaman 2 at 8 years old, probably the most finished game on my NES
- Finishing Castlevania (NES) for the first time
- Finishing Mario Lost Levels and it's second playthrough
- Completing Dracula XX/ VK the right way
- Completing CV LOD all modes including Hard modes
- POR LV1 Hard
- OOE LV1 Hard (No Dominus Agony and/or Nitesco Glyph Union) - Clear game, no weapons carried over
- Beating HoD with just the VK and Subweapons (No tunics, or equipment)
- Always getting the girl in Double Dragon
- Completing Muramasa for Wii on Shigurui (1hp) with Momohime, beating the boss after 1 year of not playing within 4 hrs, no swords forged.

Fighting
- Beating a 20 year old as a 9 year old at the arcade SFII : World Warrior, on pixel health with a wakeup heavy DP on Honda stage, he was in disbelief
- A Perfect round fighting Gill on SFIII Third Strike on the hardest difficulty with Makoto, using the big old Xbox control pad
- Winning approximately 100 consecutive matches of SF Alpha 2 at a friend's house one night, went home unbeaten. (18 t the time)
- Being 13 yo and finishing Xmen Vs SF almost times in a row without losing a character at the Arcade, having people 10 yrs mhy senior refuse to challenge. (My Dad got pissed off cos he had to wait for me for 20 mins hahaha)
- Beating some arrogant guy at SFIII Third Strike Arcade version; Me (Ryu), Him (Akuma), he copped the hado-combo into Shin ShoRyuKen taking half his life away, bye bye pride :P
- So many close moments with fighting games from all generations (versing friends or siblings) I've lost count; some bone crushing mirror matches ;) (MVC2, TVC, Naruto, Tekken tag 2, BlazBlue and Persona 4 Arena/ Ultimax are especially guilty of this)
- Beating some dude online placed 150,000 spots above me in SFV on my first sitting approx an hour of playing.

Puzzle/ Shooter
- Scoring over 8 million points on Tetris DX starting L9 Marathon
- Placing around 130-140 on the Galaga DX Leaderboards
- Lylat Wars' true ending

Top-down
- Finished Alundra (it was pretty difficult for its time)
- Finished Zelda ALBW on Hero mode (No hearts, Shields, upgrades, or weapon/ tunic upgrades) in 3 days

3d
- Beating both Emerald and Ruby Weapons in FFVII
- Beating Bleach: Soul Resurrecion with no levels/ skills unlocked or acquired (including 100 Shinigami mode where you fight Kenpachi)
- Beating Sonic Generations on first playthrough without acquiring any skills

Racing
- Finishing Daytona Expert mode on PS3
- Beating and acquiring the White Angel in Ridge Racer Revolution (I think)
- Mario Kart (recent); I came 2nd in a tournament with 32 people after not playing MK64 for over 8 years.

Future:

Complete FFXV with all the hunts
Complete Zelda SS on Hero mode with no hearts, shields, or upgrades
Complete Zelda TPHD " as above "
Complete Fire Emblem Awakening on Expert Classic mode

« Last Edit: March 13, 2017, 05:43:01 AM by zangetsu468 »
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<[Judgement]>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

**<<<<<SuperCVIV>COTM<<<<<<<<+
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^
                                 ^      l   v  ^    +<<<<<<<BE
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^  
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     BE>>> VK<**   
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     ^          ^   
            +<<<<<Legends>HC>OOS>LOD>64       ^
            v                           l              ^                ^
            v                           l     BE>> * <<<BE    RE
            v                           l      ^               ^       ^
LOI>CVIII>COD>AR>BR>CVC>CVII>HOD>ROB>SOTN>OOE>BL>POR>AOS>DOS>>>KD
                                                                          v
                                                                         BE>*  
BE=Bad Ending
RE=Richter Ending

Offline Aceearly1993

• Nothing absolute
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • 1993P Doubleguy at Youtube
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Chronicles: Akumajo Dracula (X68k/PS1)
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2017, 08:06:34 AM »
Castlevania Portrait of Ruin
-Hard LV1 Old Axe Armor mode + Richter mode beaten
(Hell, the game balance went VERY wrong and unforgiving when choosing LV1 as extra modes, and it's the developers' fault at the end.
You must collect EVERY single max up and then you can have enough MP source to deal with True Dracula's closing hands)

Mega Man X4
-Beat the game with Armor-less X

Castlevania Chronicles PS1
-Got maximum score
-highest difficulty/round in Original mode already beaten
-Beat the game in "Whip only" (picking a sub-weapon is not allowed and lead to Reset) status
-Beat the game in "NOMIS" status (enter name NOMIS for 1 HP and 0 heart at the start of every stage)
(I have 3-year experience of the game and speedrun strategy mastered so the progress is not THAT painful since literally  everything in the game is already built in my mind)

Curse of Darkness
-Beat Crazy mode
 (Stuck at first boss - Crazy Armor, for a HELLA long time! And the actual progress after first boss is 100 times  painful than that
You NEED to warp in between save point and shop by using tickets, then buy potions, warp back and repeat. Because...Enemies are unforgivingly strong - for wrong reason - They have a hell lot of HP and you died in less than 3 hit, usually.
Struggled for months and finally beat it)

CV Adventure Rebirth
-Beat Hard mode
(Again It's Waaaaay tooooooooo insane just like earlier IGA team products. Never look at classic mode.
Pain>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>accomplishment>>>>fun/joy)
« Last Edit: March 13, 2017, 08:42:57 AM by Aceearly1993 »
"Did you know when one's most desperation time is? It's when he was beaten up by someone critically...
And he can't find who caused this."

Offline Ratty

• A Little Pile of Secrets
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Other (?)
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2017, 01:34:42 PM »
I've not done many things in games worth bragging about, at least not on this board where most have probably done them to heh.

-But I was really ecstatic the first time I beat the original Castlevania, so much so that the end titles were one of if not the first phone-camera pictures I ever took. (Alas, lost now.)
-Finally beating the entire NES trilogy when I put the stake (or more accurately the axe) in Dracula in CV3 was incredibly satisfying. I've beaten most of the other games in the series, but 1 and 2 were probably the most satisfying.
-I'd never claim to be speedrunner of course but I've noticed that I can now beat the first half of CV1 in about 14 minutes.

Beyond the Castlevania series I've mostly played middingly difficult games and I'm an unabashed, unrepentant and frequent user of FAQs, walkthroughs and (for PC games that let you save anywhere) save-scumming.* So while there's many games and moments I've enjoyed not many I could brag about.

*Though I'd like to note that I never count a game as "beaten" if I have to use cheat codes or save states. And I can't remember the last time I was even tempted to use either. I'm more apt to just quit if it comes to that since it just makes the game boring. As AVGN once pointed out in his "beat a game button" bit.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2017, 03:54:21 PM by Ratty »

Offline BLOOD MONKEY

• rrrrrrrrrrrrr
  • Master Hunter
  • BEWARE, I LIVE
  • Awards May 2017 Sprite Contest Second Place 2015-02-Sprite Contest 1st Place
    • twitter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2017, 03:41:44 PM »
+1
Not many, but I haven't been alive for very long so it's fair.

-Beat all 3 Ninja Gaidens for NES in one sitting, only dying once overall. (after a year or two of practice)
-Made top 500 in competitive Overwatch for my region
-Beat the all the pc-88 Touhou games on Lunatic
UPON THE COMPLETION OF ITS STATEMENT, THE BLOOD MONKEY LEAPS TOWARDS YOU, BARING TEETH. IT IS TOO LATE FOR YOU.

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2017, 11:37:57 PM »
I'm so proud of finishing that infamous platforming puzzle Pitioss dungeon of FFXV today! Whooo~!
The game's controls are so bad for platforming, the entire thing has to be done with heaps of patience.

Offline zangetsu468

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2017, 12:21:13 AM »
Castlevania Portrait of Ruin
-Hard LV1 Old Axe Armor mode + Richter mode beaten
(Hell, the game balance went VERY wrong and unforgiving when choosing LV1 as extra modes, and it's the developers' fault at the end.
You must collect EVERY single max up and then you can have enough MP source to deal with True Dracula's closing hands)

I wanted to do Richter mode without life and mp max ups on L1 Hard cap, but I realised now that I'm at Dracula it would be damn near impossible without being able to use the Holy Cross (which uses a lot of MP) and is unavailable from the start.

v
                                                                         BE>*  
BE=Bad Ending
RE=Richter Ending

Offline Aceearly1993

• Nothing absolute
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • 1993P Doubleguy at Youtube
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Chronicles: Akumajo Dracula (X68k/PS1)
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2017, 06:59:25 AM »
I wanted to do Richter mode without life and mp max ups on L1 Hard cap, but I realised now that I'm at Dracula it would be damn near impossible without being able to use the Holy Cross (which uses a lot of MP) and is unavailable from the start.

Yes and the LV1 Richter/Maria team damage is not enough to counter closing hands without multiple hit glitch/trick (tested on console and is damn impossible indeed; I don't think multiple hit glitch/trick works here pretty well).  And then an even harder time was given to the poor lonely Old Axe Armor... it needs HALF of max available MP (after collected ALL MP max ups) to throw Axes to the hands and then the hands can be countered.
"Did you know when one's most desperation time is? It's when he was beaten up by someone critically...
And he can't find who caused this."

Offline zangetsu468

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2017, 01:30:42 PM »
Yikes... I guess I could try OAA Z Level 1 also, might take me ages to finish though.

I think I did manage to counter closing hands on one occasion, but I wasn't aware it was based on damage because I thought it was number of hits? For this part of the game I switched to Richter, summon Maria as assist, keep attacking, then end with the Holy Cross special as the hands are about to close, granting a few invincibility frames.

v
                                                                         BE>*  
BE=Bad Ending
RE=Richter Ending

Offline Crying Freeman

• Legendary Hunter
  • With his Whip and Courage
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2017, 01:45:07 PM »
Beating CV3 with Trevor only. One of the most frustrating nights of my life but once Dracula was dead, it felt like I won a huge and important battle, like it meant something XD that kind of weight isn't in Akumajo Densetsu, which is one of the reasons I prefer the US version.

Other than that beating Ninja Gaiden 1 and 2 (I don't own 3, too pricey for me atm) but I honestly think CV3 is WAY harder. There are way harder games out there. NG is way more predictable, and you kinda know when you'll win and know when you've mastered the game. In CV3 there are more random things that can get in the way, like the bats or platforms making holes in the ground at Drac's fight.

Offline JR

• Home Gym Rat
  • Master Hunter
  • That Star Wars will make a million bucks someday.
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2017, 03:39:55 AM »
MGS3 European Extreme, no kills.

Nice. I've never played that mode on any of the MGS games...I think MGS2 on regular Extreme (especially the torture scene) was enough for me.
It's like Who Wants to Be a Millionaire, but instead it's Who Wants Fried Chicken? I do.

Offline redrum

• Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2017, 07:01:34 PM »
+1
goonies 2 in 27:53 (supposed world record?)

there's other accomplishments i've worked hard for, but that's the one i'm most proud of.

Offline DraculaCronqvist

• Demon King
  • Vampire Hunter
  • I shall give you the answer along with your death!
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2017, 02:57:35 AM »
Considering the amount of games I play, it's difficult to say which ones are actual accomplishments and which ones are just average things many have done before. But the things I'd be most proud of would be...

- Completing all 3 NES Castlevanias
- Completing Castlevania IV without dying once
- Completing all 3 Castlevania DS games and SotN with 100 % in everything (all items, enemies, etc.)
- Ranking #1 in "Most Kills" category in Mirror of Fate (no longer accurate, three people have since passed by me)
- Getting all possible cutscenes in Atelier Rorona through more than two dozen playthroughs
- Beating Titan (Extreme) in FFXIV upon release, pre-nerf (hardest boss of all times in my opinion)
- Getting more than half a million score in FFXV Episode Gladiolus
- Beating Galamoth with Alucard, Richter and Maria, no Shield rod + Alucard Shield and no "head hitting" strategy
- Never being beaten by a human opponent in Stronghold Crusader
- Completing Lords of Shadow with all trophies (odd, considering I loathe the game)
- Completing all challenges, missions and trials with highest possible rank in Yakuza 3, 4 and Of the End/Dead Souls
- Finishing all courses on #1 in Mario Kart 8 (fuck you, blue shell)
- Speedrunning Batman Returns on SNES in 37 minutes on "Mania" without dying once
- Completing Final Fight 3 in under one hour
... and other things that I'm evidently not so proud of because they don't come to mind right now. XD
"It's not that I don't love to run into the heart of danger... Actually, that's exactly it."
"Individualism is a path fraught with obstacles, and sometimes angry mobs, but for all its hardships it is the only one worth taking."

Tags: