Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Akumajou Dracula (FC/MSX) and Dracula II "build dates"  (Read 3011 times)

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
Akumajou Dracula (FC/MSX) and Dracula II "build dates"
« on: June 25, 2016, 07:32:29 AM »
I was taking a look at the Cutting Room Floor's page for Dracula's Curse and I noticed the following:

At the end of the PRG ROM is a text string identifying the date on which that version of the game was compiled. A similar ID is found in many other Konami games.

Japan            US              Europe
SAMP891007   MAST900000   MAST920117

"MAST" means it's the "master" version of the game, and the numbers represent the date. The Japanese version was originally a Sample ("SAMP") version built on October 7, 1989; the US version was built at some point in 1990; and the European version was built on January 17, 1992.

I was wondering if someone with more knowledge about this subject matter could check if Akumajou Dracula(FC/MSX versions) and Dracula II also contained built dates.

Also, a bonus question: is there perhaps also a string text that identifies which Konami branch was responsible for these games (Kobe, Tokyo, Nagoya, or Sapporo)?   

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
Re: Akumajou Dracula (FC/MSX) and Dracula II "build dates"
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2016, 01:33:04 PM »
I can have a look when I get back home tonight.
If they have build dates they should be easy to find.
I don't know about identifiers for the various studios, but I'll keep an eye out.
"Stuff and things."

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2016, 06:32:20 AM »
Did you manage to find anything?

Offline LuxKiller65

• Vampire Hunter
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • My YouTube Channel
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania 64 (N64)
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2016, 04:30:40 AM »
It would be interesting, yes. It's a nice trivia that the Japanese final ROM was labeled as sample. Maybe they were sure it was not going to be final, but ended up being, for whatever reasons.

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2016, 03:00:25 PM »
I keep forgetting to actually do this. Hold on a sec...

Initial findings don"t show much of anything. Not sure if I might have better luck with a table file.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2016, 02:05:48 AM by Inccubus »
"Stuff and things."

Offline TheouAegis

• Amateur Auteur of GMvania
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • GMvania Developer's Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2016, 07:03:12 PM »
If they did, it is encoded. I could find no obvious dates in the PROMs.
Your mom has had more floppies put in her than a Commodore 64!

Follow my lack of progress on my game at my blog:
http://gmvania.blogspot.com

Tags: