Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: SotN > any other series metroidvania  (Read 8098 times)

Offline Super Waffle

• Master Hunter
  • Obliterated CharloNathan and has no regrets
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
    • The zone
    • Awards
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2017, 06:47:08 AM »
And Saturn SotN > Any other version of SotN

fite me.

Offline BLOOD MONKEY

• rrrrrrrrrrrrr
  • Master Hunter
  • BEWARE, I LIVE
  • Awards May 2017 Sprite Contest Second Place 2015-02-Sprite Contest 1st Place
    • twitter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2017, 07:35:25 AM »
And Saturn SotN > Any other version of SotN

fite me.

Gladly

It looks terrible due to stretched graphics, the new pixel art is sub-par and doesn't match the rest of the game, and it is plagued by terrible slowdowns and graphical issues. the new areas add nothing to the game, and you have to go out of your way to access them. The only good things about the saturn version is the way it handles richter's slide kicking and the version of maria that was made for it.
UPON THE COMPLETION OF ITS STATEMENT, THE BLOOD MONKEY LEAPS TOWARDS YOU, BARING TEETH. IT IS TOO LATE FOR YOU.

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2017, 01:35:25 PM »
The 64 games absolutely had both.  Arguably more so than any game in the franchise.  Not to argue that the gameplay is stellar, but in terms of storytelling no other games in the series even come close.  Maybe CoD.

what storytelling?

the belmont who isn't actually a belmont or the 12 year old child who apparently is allowed the same freedoms as an adult (maria at least had the logic of having been kidnapped and already IN the castle)?

the old hunter? charlie ain't got shit on julius

the female villain who wants to be cute forever? bloodlines already references bathory

unwilling vampire who does a sacrifice and magically comes back later in the good ending? albus did it better

the proud and bombastic titular villain who decided pretending to be a child and deal in stealthy maneuvers? don't even get me started, it's not in his nature, malus and everything about him can fuck off because that's not how cv dracula does things (it's a really good strategy, but it's not a dracula strategy)

rosa and renon are about the only decent things about that story

a fake dracula is pretty neat too, but considering they decided to go with gilles de rais of all people--a known torturer, rapist, and murderer of hundreds of children (IN A STORY WITH SMALL CHILDREN AS MAJOR CHARACTERS)--and decides to pawn the crime of pedocide off on actrise as if that somehow removes the associations of gilles de rais' name, i have to deduct some points because who the fuck thought that was in any way a good idea

lament had a better story, curse had a better story, aria had a better story, ecclesia had a better story, even lords1 had a better story

also "hey child protag, go kill the vampire made from a dude who'd cut open children and fuck the injury while watching them die slowly and painfully because that got him off more than natural orifices did"

seriously who actually thought having gilles de rais as an antag in a game where a main protag is a child was a good fucking idea--it's like having hitler as your bad guy, you either take it seriously and weave a complex narrative to address all the relevant issues in a mature fashion, or you go balls to the wall full ham and take the piss (see: wolfenstein), and 64 does neither of these; it just drops the name, pawns the (conveniently watered-down and paraphrased) crimes of that name off on another antag to give her substance, and thinks that splitup of backstory and motive is both a good idea and one that deludes that both those characters are fully-realized and developed as a result (spoiler, they aren't)

things like that are rampant in 64's plot--half-formed ideas and nonsensical decisions that make one wonder why they even chose this or that detail at all if they were just gonna toe around it the whole time

64's isn't bad, but the best in the entire series? i don't really see it, considering most of its plotpoints were either done better elsewhere in the series or weren't fleshed out as thematically well as they probably should have been

Trøllabundin eri eg, inn í hjartarót.

Offline Zuljaras

• Castletoria (Game Project)
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Castle Builder!!!
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2017, 07:15:15 AM »
My opinion is unpopular but I have spent more hours in the other Metroidvania CV games than SotN.

Do not get me wrong SotN is a masterpiece. It has the best level atmosphere. But the inverted castle is the think that I detest in that game.

Now I know that there will be flaming after that BUT in my opinion the 2 Castle think was MUCH better in Harmony of Dissonance. I wanted to see the same in SotN. I wanted the castle to be different and not just upside down.

Many people seem to forget the other metroidvanias like the DS ones even Circle of the Moon.

I love ALL Metroidvanias and I think that there should be new one each year for the rest of eternity!
Check out my game Castletoria in our forum ->> http://castlevaniadungeon.net/forums/index.php?topic=5631.0

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2017, 10:26:02 AM »
force-churning out games once a year is how you kill a franchise with crap games

Offline Zuljaras

• Vampire Hunter
  • Castle Builder!!!
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2017, 10:39:27 AM »
Probably. But it works with Pokemon so I dont mind Castlevania be as popular as pokemon.
Check out my game Castletoria in our forum ->> http://castlevaniadungeon.net/forums/index.php?topic=5631.0

Offline BLOOD MONKEY

• rrrrrrrrrrrrr
  • Master Hunter
  • BEWARE, I LIVE
  • Awards May 2017 Sprite Contest Second Place 2015-02-Sprite Contest 1st Place
    • twitter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2017, 10:40:12 AM »
force-churning out games once a year is how you kill a franchise with crap games

oof*

*See; Call of Duty Franchise, Assassin's Creed, WWE, basically any sports franchise
UPON THE COMPLETION OF ITS STATEMENT, THE BLOOD MONKEY LEAPS TOWARDS YOU, BARING TEETH. IT IS TOO LATE FOR YOU.

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2017, 09:44:43 AM »
Probably. But it works with Pokemon so I dont mind Castlevania be as popular as pokemon.

and the pokemon series has become nothing more than literally the exact same thing every single game, with only a few noteworthy changes here and there

-kid leave home to become da porkymin master
-professor person gives them one for free
-kid goes on travel trip across entire continent
-oh noes there's an evil corporation team thing with theming who want [thing] you gotta stop them
-kid has their pets beat up gang lord boss' pets and somehow this make gang lord boss forget how to be a gang lord boss
-kid finds and enslaves one or more literal gods as more fighting pets
-kid beats rival kid a bunch
-kid beats the pets of five super fighter pet owners and becomes the pet fighting champeen of the world (and by world it's actually just that one region)

rinse and repeat, make tv series about newest game, have shitloads of toy and merch revenue, etc etc ad infinitum ad nauseum

i really don't want this kind of existence for cv, myself

Offline Zuljaras

• Vampire Hunter
  • Castle Builder!!!
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2017, 10:53:28 AM »
and the pokemon series has become nothing more than literally the exact same thing every single game, with only a few noteworthy changes here and there

-kid leave home to become da porkymin master
-professor person gives them one for free
-kid goes on travel trip across entire continent
-oh noes there's an evil corporation team thing with theming who want [thing] you gotta stop them
-kid has their pets beat up gang lord boss' pets and somehow this make gang lord boss forget how to be a gang lord boss
-kid finds and enslaves one or more literal gods as more fighting pets
-kid beats rival kid a bunch
-kid beats the pets of five super fighter pet owners and becomes the pet fighting champeen of the world (and by world it's actually just that one region)

rinse and repeat, make tv series about newest game, have shitloads of toy and merch revenue, etc etc ad infinitum ad nauseum

i really don't want this kind of existence for cv, myself

So we beat Dracula every time and it feels good. What is wrong about that?

The Castlevania franchise is now carried by the fans which is good but the Official franchise is dead.

There can be 100 more Castlevanias where you just go through a castle beat bosses and then defeat Dracula and STILL feels good.

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2017, 11:01:00 AM »
you want quantity

i prefer quality

also going through a castle and killing dracula doesn't even remotely compare to pokemon recycling the exact same story formula every single game, so please don't act like they are

i will abandon this franchise if it ever gets to that point

There can be 100 more Castlevanias where you just go through a castle beat bosses and then defeat Dracula and STILL feels good.

that you honestly believe this is true suggests that you don't understand how the industry works

100 more games? okay, over what timeframe?

one game a year for a hundred years? that's not gonna happen

two games a year for fifty years? still not gonna happen

three games a year for 33.3 years? getting more into plausible territory of how long a series can practically be expected to carry on, but still unlikely to happen

four games a year for twenty-five years? might happen, but the games are all gonna be garbage because that leaves three months of development time

five games a year for twenty years? see above

six games a year for 16.6 years? see above

seven games a year for 14.3 years? see above

eight games a year for twelve and a half years? see above

nine games a year for eleven years? see above

ten games a year for ten years? see above

and so on and so forth

i'm aware "100 more games" was just an example, but i'm making it a point of illustrating how that's not only all but unlikely to ever realistically happen, but how it also becomes worse and worse in quality the more you condense it to a more realistic timeframe

it's as i said before, you churn out a new game every year by forcing development to happen in that timeframe and you get garbage as a result

we see it happen with call of duty, we see it happen with assassin's creed, we see it with those shitty wrestling games, and we definitely have been seeing it for years with all the awful sports games EA vomits out every year like clockwork

frankly i don't give a shit how big a fan someone is of castlevania or how they think they'd have fun getting all those dozens and dozens of games they've wished for their whole fandom lives and those games were rushed in a few months and are broken and pitiful

they wouldn't have fun for very long and as dead and disgraced as the series has become it still doesn't deserve that kind of desecration done to its corpse--the pachislots are bad enough as it is
« Last Edit: November 26, 2017, 11:10:29 AM by Dracula9 »

Offline Zuljaras

• Vampire Hunter
  • Castle Builder!!!
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2017, 11:51:21 AM »
you want quantity

i prefer quality

also going through a castle and killing dracula doesn't even remotely compare to pokemon recycling the exact same story formula every single game, so please don't act like they are

i will abandon this franchise if it ever gets to that point

that you honestly believe this is true suggests that you don't understand how the industry works

100 more games? okay, over what timeframe?

one game a year for a hundred years? that's not gonna happen

two games a year for fifty years? still not gonna happen

three games a year for 33.3 years? getting more into plausible territory of how long a series can practically be expected to carry on, but still unlikely to happen

four games a year for twenty-five years? might happen, but the games are all gonna be garbage because that leaves three months of development time

five games a year for twenty years? see above

six games a year for 16.6 years? see above

seven games a year for 14.3 years? see above

eight games a year for twelve and a half years? see above

nine games a year for eleven years? see above

ten games a year for ten years? see above

and so on and so forth

i'm aware "100 more games" was just an example, but i'm making it a point of illustrating how that's not only all but unlikely to ever realistically happen, but how it also becomes worse and worse in quality the more you condense it to a more realistic timeframe

it's as i said before, you churn out a new game every year by forcing development to happen in that timeframe and you get garbage as a result

we see it happen with call of duty, we see it happen with assassin's creed, we see it with those shitty wrestling games, and we definitely have been seeing it for years with all the awful sports games EA vomits out every year like clockwork

frankly i don't give a shit how big a fan someone is of castlevania or how they think they'd have fun getting all those dozens and dozens of games they've wished for their whole fandom lives and those games were rushed in a few months and are broken and pitiful

they wouldn't have fun for very long and as dead and disgraced as the series has become it still doesn't deserve that kind of desecration done to its corpse--the pachislots are bad enough as it is

Well in both ways you still "lose". The franchise is dead. IGA is trying to bring it back but Bloostained looks bad right now, at least for me.
The only good things that happened to Castlevania after it was abandoned by Konami are the two Lecarde Chronicles games and the upcoming Umbra of Sorrow.

We got 3 GBA Castlevania games, We got 3 DS Castlevania games, we got only one 3DS Castlevania game. I was hoping for 3 on the 3DS and 3 on the switch but this is just a dream now. Konami do not deserve our money. That is a fact.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2017, 11:54:44 AM by Zuljaras »

Tags:

anything