Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Castlevania The Lecarde Chronicles May 2013  (Read 108175 times)

Offline PyramidHead

• Vampire Hunter
  • Don't look into the Death Star, or you will die.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
Re: Castlevania The Lecarde Chronicles May 2013
« Reply #195 on: December 01, 2013, 03:53:00 PM »
I was aware that the premature end in EASY mode could frustrate some players.
But basically... you don't care ;D . ... Alright. It's your game. 

Offline Belmontoya

• Composer/ Voice Actor
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-09-Sprite Contest 3rd Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #196 on: December 01, 2013, 04:49:49 PM »
It's not that he doesn't care. Castlevania used to be a very unforgiving game that only skilled players could beat. The difficulty of this game is on par with what Castlevania games used to be known for. To me, this is one of the things I love about Classicvania games.

It makes no sense to reward players who take the easy way through with the same ending as players who put the time in to become skilled. It's a matter of ethics. CTLC is a game with integrity that doesn't give itself away to whoever decides to play it.

But then again, I was on the other side of the fence before Mig did the update. I don't think the option of a easy, medium or hard mode should even be given to the player. I think there should be one mode of difficulty. The idea of taking the challenge out of a game or watering it down, doesn't appeal to me at all, and I would not choose to cater to people who think they deserve to beat the game without putting in the work. The idea of that bothers me in a way that goes even beyond video games (expecting rewards without working for them).

If you can't beat the game, then you simply need to improve your skills.

The worst monsters are human.

Offline Claimh Solais

• Ronove the Radical
  • Master Hunter
  • GO FIGHT!!
  • Awards The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Claimh Solais
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #197 on: December 02, 2013, 05:15:21 PM »
+1
It's not that he doesn't care. Castlevania used to be a very unforgiving game that only skilled players could beat. The difficulty of this game is on par with what Castlevania games used to be known for. To me, this is one of the things I love about Classicvania games.

It makes no sense to reward players who take the easy way through with the same ending as players who put the time in to become skilled. It's a matter of ethics. CTLC is a game with integrity that doesn't give itself away to whoever decides to play it.

But then again, I was on the other side of the fence before Mig did the update. I don't think the option of a easy, medium or hard mode should even be given to the player. I think there should be one mode of difficulty. The idea of taking the challenge out of a game or watering it down, doesn't appeal to me at all, and I would not choose to cater to people who think they deserve to beat the game without putting in the work. The idea of that bothers me in a way that goes even beyond video games (expecting rewards without working for them).

If you can't beat the game, then you simply need to improve your skills.

The thing about this, though, is that sometimes people just can't become skilled enough to play on the standard difficulty level. My girlfriend in particular really wanted to play Devil May Cry 3, but the Normal difficulty was just too much. She was happy that there was actually an Easy difficulty in the game. People shouldn't be punished for picking the easier difficulty, simply because sometimes they can't get accustomed to the normal difficulty. They should also be able to enjoy the game all the same, even if they aren't as skilled as other people.

And as for difficulties above the Normal difficulty setting, those are there for replay value. When a game doesn't have a harder difficulty level, it can be annoying. Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands in particular was piss-poor in terms of difficulty, with the game being REALLY easy. I was mad there was no Hard difficulty to unlock.
Currently Playing: Resident Evil 2 [N64]
Games Beaten This Year (2020): 20 Games

Offline mig3

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #198 on: December 03, 2013, 05:52:13 AM »
+1
I've also played Prince of Persia Forgotten Sands. It was full of good ideas but i also remember the lack of challenge. Apart from that, the main's OST theme and "Final climb" remix were very good  ;D

Well.. I do not make games that punishes. I do make them in a way that rewards the persevering players. :)
 I think that overcoming the normal mode is possible once the easy mode is cleared because it's basically the same game. A player who has reached the easy ending already knows most of the traps, monsters positions and other bad things. He only has to imrove a little his skills.

The hard mode is really another thing  :P but in normal mode the game is complete  :)

I have considered lots of players' requests; The current game has got a lot of differences with the one of May 15th 2013. So I do care about players' proposals.

I may update the game but i've got lots of things to make first.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 05:53:48 AM by mig3 »

Offline Metabaron

• Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Other (?)
« Reply #199 on: November 07, 2017, 09:20:07 AM »
Hi all,

i have been playing the game for a while. It's a nice old school Castlevania game, quite challenging.

Yesterday, i bumped onto this secret screen (see file attached). There is a big "RIP" in the middle and spikes all over.

This occurred while on the last stage, with the hands from the ground emitting laser and a lot of skeletons. I was hit by a skeleton bone and then transferred into this place.

Is there a bonus in this place.? or you cannot escape and you die on the spikes.? How can end up in this position, if not by accident.?

Thanks a lot in advance and... mig3 keep up the good work.

Offline Aceearly1993

• Nothing absolute
  • Legendary Hunter
    • 1993P Doubleguy at Youtube
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Chronicles: Akumajo Dracula (X68k/PS1)
« Reply #200 on: November 07, 2017, 07:36:08 PM »
Hi all,

i have been playing the game for a while. It's a nice old school Castlevania game, quite challenging.

Yesterday, i bumped onto this secret screen (see file attached). There is a big "RIP" in the middle and spikes all over.

This occurred while on the last stage, with the hands from the ground emitting laser and a lot of skeletons. I was hit by a skeleton bone and then transferred into this place.

Is there a bonus in this place.? or you cannot escape and you die on the spikes.? How can end up in this position, if not by accident.?

Thanks a lot in advance and... mig3 keep up the good work.

I don't think RIP room has extra hidden secrets, once enter the RIP room there's no other choice but perish current life; laser traps all have a timing that red laser will vanish, rush through before red laser restored (timing is not that tight)

Kinda miss that intense Whip action of LC1 after a long time spent in LC2...
"Did you know when one's most desperation time is? It's when he was beaten up by someone critically...
And he can't find who caused this."

Offline Aceearly1993

• Nothing absolute
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #201 on: September 28, 2023, 10:58:41 PM »
It seems unfair to undust the article so old that is more than a decade, but we got maintenance role from MIG himself and we're working on modern compatibility of the game in order to cover the original version's discontinue after it got smashed by DMCA. LC2's remodel was pretty successful so I myself think at least I should do something in order to make the game (LC1) not being "lostware" forever.

The Issue We Need Additional Helps

- Add in-game GUI and functions to freely edit controller input in the game (like in reworked LC2)
- Make the game's data compatible to 289.3 or higher versions of Clickteam Fusion. This is because the game will break in following places if the game's project file is loaded in 289.3 or higher versions:
   - One background will break in Hunting Ground part 2 sub boss (the hive)
   - At several places contain large swinging spiked balls, their collision will break (Science Hall part 1, part 2, Katharina's quarter part 3 have them)

- Several music clips and sound effect clips are needed to be replaced in order to get around copyright infringement risks (the original game got panned by DMCA takedown request in 2018 so unfortunately the changes to sound clips must be made, regardless how they fit so well into the game). This case needs additional helps from composers/sound effect creators.

Check our (rework) progress and do not hesitate to make feedback:
https://github.com/Aceearly1993/lecarde-1
« Last Edit: September 28, 2023, 11:58:33 PM by Aceearly1993 »
"Did you know when one's most desperation time is? It's when he was beaten up by someone critically...

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #202 on: September 29, 2023, 09:29:12 AM »
- Add in-game GUI and functions to freely edit controller input in the game (like in reworked LC2)

Thank you! I've been waiting for this  :D

I did try my XBOX ONE controller with this game, however the controls were all over the place. The button layout was limited and scattered, and the D-pad did not work at all. So hearing about revisiting this game with plans to re-work it as well as fix up some of the code is very inviting. Told ya I was patient at waiting  ;)
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Aceearly1993

• Nothing absolute
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #203 on: September 29, 2023, 03:46:27 PM »
Thank you! I've been waiting for this  :D

I did try my XBOX ONE controller with this game, however the controls were all over the place. The button layout was limited and scattered, and the D-pad did not work at all. So hearing about revisiting this game with plans to re-work it as well as fix up some of the code is very inviting. Told ya I was patient at waiting  ;)

If it wasn't the UI graphic stuff I could easily port controller code from reworked LC2 which I also had maintenance rights to it. But as investigation going further I feel too uneasy about the controller code structure. In worst cases the vanilla controller code might need to be ditched for the LC2 rework one or if there's even better choice. So it's a serious problem that we need every single drop of help from all over the world.

We did found a dodgy way to freely edit keyboard mapping though! It was Clickteam Fusion's built in mechanic so for keyboard users this version is more playable than original. Some keyboard hotkeys were also tweaked to fit modern user preferences more and avoid griefs.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2023, 03:57:06 PM by Aceearly1993 »

Offline Aceearly1993

• Nothing absolute
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #204 on: September 30, 2023, 03:49:57 PM »
We need 2 testers to see if the engine upgrade and file compile of Lecarde Chronicles 1 is successful.
If somebody not intended to take too much time and want to cut short to the locations that might have problem, here's save file placed right in the attachment of soft re-release page:

https://github.com/Aceearly1993/lecarde-1

bug may happen in science hall part 1, part 2, and Katharina quarter part 3 in original where the game offers spiked ball hazard, if the build version of the engine is problematic their hit detections will be extended to wrong places upon walking to right side of the hazards (UPDATE 231102 bug should be solved which was a mistake in one of spiked ball's animation frames in original, relatively easy to fix. Still needs players to ensure that its indeed ruled out):

UPDATE 0.3.0

Also provided in main lobby are save files, they may want themselves to be placed at: C:/User/(User name) (hidden folder)/Appdata/Roaming/MMFApplications
(extract the save file zip first.)

More in-depth talks will go to:

LC1 & LC2 REWORK
« Last Edit: December 02, 2023, 03:45:25 PM by Aceearly1993 »

Offline Aceearly1993

• Nothing absolute
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #205 on: November 01, 2023, 04:19:44 AM »
Progress update: The source solution to spiked ball collision bug had been found and the fix is underway.

Once everything is OK, the game will be 100% compatible, playable, finishable on modern OS. The only things left will be 1) stuff to get around DMCA in order to not get them eaten out the game quick and 2) Try to implement key reassign GUI (or more accurately, port the pre-existed key assign stuff from LC2 rework to LC1).

For 1 we will need every inch of help from every possible person in the world!!!

I shall organize the sound list very soon in the following days...
« Last Edit: November 01, 2023, 04:24:07 AM by Aceearly1993 »

Offline Aceearly1993

• Nothing absolute
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #206 on: November 05, 2023, 06:09:24 PM »
Maintenance...

https://github.com/Aceearly1993/lecarde-1/releases/tag/v0.3.1

As there's no progress about key remap GUI, I offered more keyboard presets (from 3 to 10)... A sound list that gathered sounds that's been affected by DMCA shall be organized very soon.

Offline Aceearly1993

• Nothing absolute
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #207 on: November 07, 2023, 09:31:45 PM »
https://github.com/Aceearly1993/lecarde-1/releases/tag/v0.4.0

So as for now, Lecarde Chronicles 1 newly had control remap function! Sad is the game had been targets of DMCA because of some sound samples it uses! Cannot do anything to avert now until I organized a list of affected sounds and any reworked sound samples for the game arrived.

Remember this port of remap function is still in its early shape and did not get throughout tested by now, I will double check if the remapped key layout works for the whole game but I have to cost some time to recover my sanity.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2023, 12:33:02 AM by Aceearly1993 »

Offline Aceearly1993

• Nothing absolute
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #208 on: November 08, 2023, 06:40:53 AM »
Noticed a bug about stop points for xbox controller d-pad in the reworked structure and will very soon be fixed. Sorry about inconvenience.

Offline Aceearly1993

• Nothing absolute
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #209 on: November 09, 2023, 03:23:08 AM »
An attempt to fix bugs in 0.4.0 which had some bugs missed in initial checks.

https://github.com/Aceearly1993/lecarde-1/releases/tag/v0.4.1

Tags:

anything