Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Animated series reviews.  (Read 34631 times)

Offline Wallachia

• hath risen
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
« Reply #60 on: July 09, 2017, 11:19:30 AM »
"Lies? In your house of God? He does not love you. But we do. Let me .. kiss you."

Loved that part.. creepy.

"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better" - Albert Einstein

Offline AlexCalvo

• The man.
  • Legendary Hunter
  • No longer a jerk, but still wonderful.
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/13104670/1/Castlevania-Birth-of-the-Dragon

Dracula was not always a monster. He was once a man named Mathias Cronqvist. A flawed, conflicted, genius of a man. How did the educated, aristocratic, crusader who piously served the church become a vampire, and eventually the Dark Lord himself, the opposing force to God? From a very young age terrors and tragedy shaped the man into the king of all evil. This is his story.

Offline Wallachia

• hath risen
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
« Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 12:47:09 PM by Wallachia »

"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better" - Albert Einstein

Offline AlexCalvo

• The man.
  • Legendary Hunter
  • No longer a jerk, but still wonderful.
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #63 on: July 09, 2017, 12:45:33 PM »
Good guess would probably be about a year from now. =(
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/13104670/1/Castlevania-Birth-of-the-Dragon

Dracula was not always a monster. He was once a man named Mathias Cronqvist. A flawed, conflicted, genius of a man. How did the educated, aristocratic, crusader who piously served the church become a vampire, and eventually the Dark Lord himself, the opposing force to God? From a very young age terrors and tragedy shaped the man into the king of all evil. This is his story.

Offline TatteredSeraph

• Queen of the Damned
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #64 on: July 09, 2017, 02:17:23 PM »
From what I've been reading, season 2 will land at some point in 2018, although all that Netflix US have said is in the near future.
"Blood is Family. Blood is Power. Blood is Everything"

Offline GigaDan

• Hunter in Training
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow (GBA)
« Reply #65 on: July 09, 2017, 03:09:20 PM »
+1
I wish I could phone in on mixing quality, but my speakers are already on their way out so I'm playing without a full deck anyway.

It's pretty awful. Definitely the worst part of the production. If I can't understand what characters are saying on my HD598's listening on an optical connection to a dedicated DAC/AMP, then yea, it's pretty bad. I didn't turn on subtitles because I didn't want to detract from the performances or joke delivery. I'm definitely gonna watch it again sometime with subtitles.

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #66 on: July 09, 2017, 03:36:15 PM »
+1
If I can't understand what characters are saying on my HD598's listening on an optical connection to a dedicated DAC/AMP

Jesus.

Trøllabundin eri eg, inn í hjartarót.

Offline KaZudra

• Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-04-Story Contest - 2nd Place Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #67 on: July 09, 2017, 04:14:06 PM »
Castlevania The Anime Pachislot incoming...

"I ain't gonna let it get to me I'm just gonna let it get to me" -Knuckles

Offline TheTextGuy

• Vampire Hunter
  • Rocket punch!
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
« Reply #68 on: July 09, 2017, 05:54:12 PM »
+1
Aight, Trevor and Alucard do look like well animated versions of the Kojima design, and the action was enjoyable.  The music was generic and forgettable, and the violence in some parts was a bit too excessive/they were trying too hard.  Not gonna give a full review (I've just finished watching it), but overall, Inccubus' end comment pretty much sums it up.

I guess I would give this a 7/10 because it was entertaining in a very least common denominator sort of way.
As a retelling of CVIII, I give it a 4/10. And I have no confidence that the rest will be any different.

It's good for a kick, but I don't think it's that great of a CVIII adaptation.  Very loose adaptation in that regards.

Offline Sumez

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #69 on: July 10, 2017, 10:56:48 AM »
How is it loose? Because it includes characters that are not in the pretty much story-less 2D action game?
I was honestly surprised by how well they were able to tell a story based on what little of a premise we actually get in the game.

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place 2017-07-Sprite Contest 2nd PLace 2016-09-Sprite Contest First Place 2015 - Christmas Award First Place 2015 - Halloween Sprite Contest - Second Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« Reply #70 on: July 10, 2017, 11:31:26 AM »
+6
How is it loose? Because it includes characters that are not in the pretty much story-less 2D action game?
I was honestly surprised by how well they were able to tell a story based on what little of a premise we actually get in the game.

OK, so I'm watching this silly argument being thrown around TOO much to keep quiet. It's been literally three days of Castlevania fans spouting this nonsense nonstop, all over the internet, looking for an excuse to diminish the games' lore.

Castlevania III doesn't have "so little premise" nor it's "pretty much story-less". It actually is the one of the games with the most plot on the NES which, while not hard of a feat to pull off, IS a feat in itself considering how little plot non-RPG NES games had. The adaptation on Netflix IS very loose in consideration of the original story. And that's talking only of it alone -- not counting expanded plot given by further games or media such as SotN, Judgment, Curse of Darkness or the Manga.

"Speakers"? Not in the game. "Sypha has a family"? Not in the game. "Trevor's excommunication"? Not in the game. "Church representatives oppresing people"? Not in the game. "Legendary sleeping savior myth"? Not in the game. "Dracula giving people one year to leave"? Not in the game. "Castle is special because is some kinda machine"? Not in the game. "Mystery prophecy about who will kill Dracula and with whom's help"? Not in the game (and this last one possibly killing Grant as one of the four warriors). And here I'm talking only of stuff that is directly stated to not be the case on the original plot itself, or that changing something would change the original plot's essence. I'm not talking about shit that expanding on the animation would have little to no impact on the original story, such as Dracula acting as a human by behest of Lisa.

Some of this stuff contradicts directly the original plot to the point of unrecognizability. Sypha being a Speaker flies in the face of her origin story given on the manual, and is completelly opposed to her final resolution as an operative of the Church whose failure prompted the Pope to seek a Belmont. Prophecy talking of "A hunter and a Scholar" overrides completelly the reason why Alucard hid and who are the final warriors to stop Dracula. Will these work on the show? Good. The original game has enough storyline that causes these changes to be incompatible with the original lore.

So, yes. The Netflix show IS very loosely connected to the actual CVIII plotline. You want to praise the show? Of fucking course you're allowed to do it, including praising the new plot. Just don't say "CASTLEVANIA HAS NO PLOT! THEY DID A MIRACLE WITH WHAT LITTLE THEY HAD!" because there is zero miracle involved, and there's a lot of original plot to be worked with. "Castlevania has no plot" is a meme by people who were raised with the US manuals, where the actually-quite-complex-for-a-simple-game plot has been reduced to complete bullshit nonsense, and not actual fact of the Castlevania franchise.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 01:42:05 PM by theplottwist »
The mastermind behind the "Umbra of Sorrow" project. But not the only one.

Offline Shinobi

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #71 on: July 10, 2017, 12:07:50 PM »
Some people complain how the series didn't use some iconic music from any of the games, seriously it's not surprising considering almost every movie or any form of adaptation doesn't even use any music from it's original source or atleast their previous incarnation, Any of Spiderman movies doesn't have the 60s  Spiderman cartoon theme, any Batman movies(Both Tim Burton or Nolan's take on Batman)doesn't have the iconic theme from the Batman TV series starring Adam West, Man of Steel doesn't have the iconic theme from previous Superman movies starring Christopher Reeve, Rurouni Kenshin movies doesn't have any themes or bgms from the anime series, etc. etc.   

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place 2017-07-Sprite Contest 2nd PLace 2016-09-Sprite Contest First Place 2015 - Christmas Award First Place 2015 - Halloween Sprite Contest - Second Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« Reply #72 on: July 10, 2017, 12:17:50 PM »
Quote to Shinobi. Just... Don't click this if you don't wanna be spoiled, dude.

(click to show/hide)
The mastermind behind the "Umbra of Sorrow" project. But not the only one.

Offline Shinobi

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #73 on: July 10, 2017, 12:53:30 PM »
Quote to Shinobi. Just... Don't click this if you don't wanna be spoiled, dude.

(click to show/hide)

Haven't watched Spiderman Homecoming yet anyway so my bad.

Offline piscesdreams

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #74 on: July 10, 2017, 02:44:52 PM »
Some people complain how the series didn't use some iconic music from any of the games, seriously it's not surprising considering almost every movie or any form of adaptation doesn't even use any music from it's original source or atleast their previous incarnation, Any of Spiderman movies doesn't have the 60s  Spiderman cartoon theme, any Batman movies(Both Tim Burton or Nolan's take on Batman)doesn't have the iconic theme from the Batman TV series starring Adam West, Man of Steel doesn't have the iconic theme from previous Superman movies starring Christopher Reeve, Rurouni Kenshin movies doesn't have any themes or bgms from the anime series, etc. etc.

To be fair though, the above mentioned series aren't as notorious for excellent music in the way CV is, especially in terms of sheer number of excellent tracks overall.  The Batman 60's show would probably be the most iconic of the series you mentioned.

Tags:

anything