Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: SotN Hacks  (Read 14084 times)

Offline BLOOD MONKEY

• rrrrrrrrrrrrr
  • Master Hunter
  • BEWARE, I LIVE
  • Awards May 2017 Sprite Contest Second Place 2015-02-Sprite Contest 1st Place
    • twitter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« on: November 11, 2017, 04:24:33 PM »
Recently, there's been a resurgence in the hacking community, with many well crafted hacks coming out in the past year. SotN has been made no exception.
http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2896/
Castlevania Symphony of the Night: Hardtype

"This is a hack of Castlevania SOTN which rebalances the difficulty. This includes adjusting enemy strength, enemy HP, weapon stat adjustment, removing more powerful (cheap) weapons, and adjusting spell attributes"
http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/psx/patches/2896readme.txt

http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/3606/
Castlevania Symphony of the Night Quality Hack

"This hack brings some quality fixes to the original version of the game for PlayStation."

I'd recommend playing the game with both hacks enabled, it really does make for a better and more balanced experience.

UPON THE COMPLETION OF ITS STATEMENT, THE BLOOD MONKEY LEAPS TOWARDS YOU, BARING TEETH. IT IS TOO LATE FOR YOU.

Offline DarkPrinceAlucard

• The Dark Prince
  • Master Hunter
  • Your dark prince has arrived.
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Castle Modding
    • Awards
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2017, 01:00:47 PM »
I've seen both before over at romhacking, to be honest I just want to finally see some graphics and stage hacking for symphony, wish I could do it myself but the current tools out makes this impossible for me at the moment, a guy named Lagolunatic may one day make a editor for it (he has already done so with the gba and DS CV games) so if that happens you will see more extensive SOTN hacks out there.

Castlevania Modding Forum http://castlevaniamodding.boards.net/

Offline BLOOD MONKEY

• rrrrrrrrrrrrr
  • Master Hunter
  • BEWARE, I LIVE
    • twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2017, 09:11:49 PM »
I've seen both before over at romhacking, to be honest I just want to finally see some graphics and stage hacking for symphony, wish I could do it myself but the current tools out makes this impossible for me at the moment, a guy named Lagolunatic may one day make a editor for it (he has already done so with the gba and DS CV games) so if that happens you will see more extensive SOTN hacks out there.

Well, there is SNEER, but it lacks the ability to modify and the guy working on it has disappeared.
UPON THE COMPLETION OF ITS STATEMENT, THE BLOOD MONKEY LEAPS TOWARDS YOU, BARING TEETH. IT IS TOO LATE FOR YOU.

Offline redrum

• Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2017, 11:03:59 PM »
glad people are working with SOTN's data, but it would probably take a lot more than this to get me to run through it for the 9999999th time...
honestly, i'd rather see some of the bugs worked out of NITM to improve the quality of it.  that game has a lotta potential if the bugs were worked out of it.

Offline BLOOD MONKEY

• rrrrrrrrrrrrr
  • Master Hunter
  • BEWARE, I LIVE
    • twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2017, 11:16:10 PM »
glad people are working with SOTN's data, but it would probably take a lot more than this to get me to run through it for the 9999999th time...
honestly, i'd rather see some of the bugs worked out of NITM to improve the quality of it.  that game has a lotta potential if the bugs were worked out of it.

You mean the saturn game? With all the technical issues and cheap workarounds used, it'd probably be less time consuming to build a new version of the game from the ground up and refining the artwork and areas used.

Offline redrum

• Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2017, 11:22:37 PM »
there's a lot that could be done with it since it isn't completely restricted by hardware limitations anymore.  though the saturn emulators it runs on aren't the greatest, so you're probably right...  though if a more stable saturn emulator was released that could run an expanded version, that would be nice.  i suppose the same could be said of the PSX version.  it would be nice to see some new weapons, items, enemies, castle areas added to the original game.  maybe add new parts of the map that utilize areas from other CV games?  that'd be interesting...  definitely talking about a ton of work here, though.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 11:26:40 PM by redrum »

Offline BLOOD MONKEY

• rrrrrrrrrrrrr
  • Master Hunter
  • BEWARE, I LIVE
    • twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2017, 11:29:44 PM »
there's a lot that could be done with it since it isn't completely restricted by hardware limitations anymore.  though the saturn emulators it runs on aren't the greatest, so you're probably right...  though if a more stable saturn emulator was released that could run an expanded version, that would be nice.  i suppose the same could be said of the PSX version.  it would be nice to see some new weapons, items, enemies, castle areas added to the original game.  maybe add new parts of the map that utilize areas from other CV games?  that'd be interesting...

Well, there's also the fact that...
 -The saturn version's VDP layers would have to be entirely reprogrammed
 -Every single sprite in that game is pre-stretched, meaning that every sprite and hitbox would have to be manually unstretched and fixed to a lower, letterboxed resolution.
 -All the new pixel art that was introduced would have to be entirely redrawn due to stretching, and the fact that it all looks very amateur.

If you want as close as the Saturn version as you can get, play it through Yabuse, or play the PSP version. Other than that, re-making the game with a newer engine would be the best option. It would also open up newer possibilities, such as widescreen support, more detailed models, revised bossfights and difficulty level, along with much more.

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2017, 02:35:18 AM »
Other than that, re-making the game with a newer engine would be the best option. It would also open up newer possibilities, such as widescreen support, more detailed models, revised bossfights and difficulty level, along with much more.

so basically what everyone's favorite new yorican 4 lyfe is doing but probably won't release in full until like 2086

Trøllabundin eri eg, inn í hjartarót.

Offline BLOOD MONKEY

• rrrrrrrrrrrrr
  • Master Hunter
  • BEWARE, I LIVE
    • twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2017, 06:03:34 AM »
+1
so basically what everyone's favorite new yorican 4 lyfe is doing but probably won't release in full until like 2086

except you don't pay out the ass for ultra detailed spritework in an already beautiful game and do it without money

Tags:

anything