Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: What will you miss about IGA?  (Read 23330 times)

Offline Profbeanburrito

• Vampire Killer
  • Master Hunter
  • The Mask is a powerful device...
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2009, 07:55:21 PM »
In Reply To #31
I couldn't agree with you more!

I'm glad this Lords of Shadow thing has happened. It's given us all a chance to see what people think of IGA and his games, and I'm pleasantly surprised to see people arguing in favor of IGA and his works. Lets hope he knows he still has fans that support him
What a horrible night to have a curse!

Offline sonicabid

• Yakuza is beast
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Buy and play the Yakuza games
    • Awards
Re: What will you miss about IGA?
« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2009, 08:38:01 PM »
In Reply To #33

IGA has never made a bad CV game. Every single game has been great, except for CoD/PoR(I liked PoR, but I know some people around here do not. You can't say that the game is bad though, you have to at least admit it's a good/solid game. I supposed CoD has some good things about it as well, but it wasn't for me.)

How do we know he's gone though? Cause of Hideo and the new CV game? I guess I need to do some reading.

Offline Gunlord

• Wandering Mendicant
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Meow.
  • Awards Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • My blog
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2009, 09:32:00 PM »
I'll miss:

His hat

His whip

His cute lil' face ;_; No really, I'm not gay or anything, but just look at him! He always has this goofy, good-natured grin whenever you see him around. I'm gonna miss that ;_;

Check me out at gunlord500.wordpress.com!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phhCrFZek44

Offline A n t r a x x

• ~ GamersMark EIC ~
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: June 09, 2009, 09:38:59 PM »
You can definitely tell he's a nice guy.

"Observe their fates and learn well."

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: June 10, 2009, 01:48:01 AM »
In Reply To #35

lol iga looks like a painting come to life

MarquisX

« Reply #35 on: June 10, 2009, 06:44:20 AM »
In Reply To #31

"The CV community is really one of the toughest and most brutal. I have to give him credit for trying to please the fan base, and sticking with the series despite numerous criticisms."

Too brutal, if you ask me. So brutal to the point I wonder if some people actually smash their copies of PoR. (Which I felt is an excellent castlevania). I feel bad for IGA- this guy tries his hardest in making the ideal Castlevania for his fans and most of them crap on him. The result? LoS. it looks good and everything but if IGA is gone then we can kiss old Castlevania good bye.

And with the IGA haters- you got what you want. Instead of IGA classic inspired Castlevania- we get a reboot with no connection to the series we loved growing up with. Hopefully IGA is still around and making a new 2D castlevania for the DS.

MarquisX

« Reply #36 on: June 10, 2009, 06:52:31 AM »
In Reply To #38

"IGA has a bad rap mainly because his games weren't good enough in the fan base eyes; but by what standard? By normal standards his games are great. In fact all of IGA's titles were more well made than most of the comparable games of their times. Even to the extent that they beat out some current games."

Very wise words..... We like to think that the people of a Castlevania board are the majority of the fan base when it is most likely a small fraction of the true fan base. I do know people in person who weren't fond of the PS2 games but I NEVER met or talked to a person outside of a Castlevania board that hated any of IGA's games. I love the games personally.....so much I got that cross with batwings tattooed on my arm. ;)

Offline justin312

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: June 10, 2009, 12:28:53 PM »
The result? LoS. it looks good and everything but if IGA is gone then we can kiss old Castlevania good bye.

I have to echo The Belmont Legacy on this.  We don't know yet whether we will kiss the old Castlevania goodbye, or whether the new team will nail the atmosphere and story perfectly.  Just because IGA is gone doesn't mean another team won't produce a great Castlevania game.

And with the IGA haters- you got what you want. Instead of IGA classic inspired Castlevania- we get a reboot with no connection to the series we loved growing up with. Hopefully IGA is still around and making a new 2D castlevania for the DS.

I'll just say this.  The "classic Castlevania" that I grew up with was the original games, CV1-3 on NES and SCIV.  And in my opinion the games that IGA has been delivering for the past several years bear little resemblance to those classics, in tone and atmosphere, in story, in gameplay, challenge, etc.  Maybe this new team wanted to make a Castlevania that hearkens back to the concept and spirit of those originals.  Not all 'vania fans were weaned on Symphony of the Night, you know.

MarquisX

« Reply #38 on: June 10, 2009, 01:49:29 PM »
In Reply To #40

In Reply To #41

"I have to echo The Belmont Legacy on this.  We don't know yet whether we will kiss the old Castlevania goodbye, or whether the new team will nail the atmosphere and story perfectly.  Just because IGA is gone doesn't mean another team won't produce a great Castlevania game."

That's not what I said. I am actually quite looking forward to LoS. It looks amazing and I feel a reboot would help the series. But I would like IGA, a producer who loves the series since the originals to keep making 2D games for the portables. I was talking storywise to the original timeline not atmosphere and new story. ERRR!

"I'll just say this.  The "classic Castlevania" that I grew up with was the original games, CV1-3 on NES and SCIV.  And in my opinion the games that IGA has been delivering for the past several years bear little resemblance to those classics, in tone and atmosphere, in story, in gameplay, challenge, etc.  Maybe this new team wanted to make a Castlevania that hearkens back to the concept and spirit of those originals.  Not all 'vania fans were weaned on Symphony of the Night, you know."

I know my classic Castlevanias. I played everyone since release starting with Castlevania 1 in 1987. Castlevania 1 is actually my favorite as all the games go. Once again I'm talking orginal timeline....sigh...You also think I'm against LoS when I favor it. I do not favor the end of IGA though. That's my point. And you're saying none of IGA's Castlevanias do not capture the tone and feeling of the originals? Well- that's a whole other argument which means your just not a fan of IGA. But you should be happy now, a non IGA Castlevania. The best part of this release is now the haters can stop complaining! ;) haha!

"Oh, yeah? And how do you know that? How do you know that this game won't have any connection to the past series? How do you know that Gabriel isn't a Belmont or that Dracula isn't in the game? Or that Gabriel isn't going to become Dracula similar to how Matthias became Dracula? How do you know that the castle isn't Castlevania? It was a short trailer showing areas of a few levels. "

Well Belmont Legacy....It's quite obvious it's a reboot and When the you're told "Forget everything you know about Castlevania" I'm sure they meant the story too. Maybe this new story will have Belmonts and Dracula. But if you are just going to pretend this is part of the regular series...come on.

Listen: I welcome this new Castlevania. BUt if IGA is done I will miss the the timeline he created and added onto the original NES story. It be nice if he can at least give us the 1999 game and wrap it up.

Offline A n t r a x x

• ~ GamersMark EIC ~
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: June 10, 2009, 02:29:48 PM »
...Castlevania 1 is actually my favorite as all the games go.

Wow. You're like the only one that thinks so. I mean it's great and all, but I don't think I've ever heard someone say it's their fave. Not a bad pick, just an unusual one.

BUt if IGA is done I will miss the the timeline... It be nice if he can at least give us the 1999 game and wrap it up.

Sort of a series-finale before his show gets canceled?

Again, this topic is a "what if" question anyway. We still don't know for sure what happened to IGA. But the longer we go on without information regarding this, the more I get pissed at Konami for ignoring it.

"Observe their fates and learn well."

Offline justin312

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #40 on: June 10, 2009, 02:42:18 PM »
In Reply To #42

I'm not a hater of IGA's, I am just a CV fan who thinks that IGA has brought many positives but also some negatives during his tenure as series producer.  The main positive IMO is his commitment to the 2D format, he has consistently brought us some of the best handheld games period for the last several years.  He should always be commended for that, and I too would like him to keep bringing us handheld games to complement the main series.  His major negatives IMO have been his inability to effectively bring the series into 3D, and also his handling of the overall story.

MarquisX

« Reply #41 on: June 10, 2009, 02:48:46 PM »
In Reply To #43

"Wow. You're like the only one that thinks so. I mean it's great and all, but I don't think I've ever heard someone say it's their fave. Not a bad pick, just an unusual one."

Heh, yeah...I love that old classic. Played and beat it again this morning, lol. It's one of my favorites since it was my first Castlevania, it's a quick 45 minute play and it never gets old. Plus everything that is Castlevania is in that game. Of the IGA ones I'm rooting for OoE. I think it's the first game since SotN to outmatch SotN.

"Again, this topic is a "what if" question anyway. We still don't know for sure what happened to IGA. But the longer we go on without information regarding this, the more I get pissed at Konami for ignoring it. "

I hear you! His luck hasn't been so good lately. That's why I like to see fans support him instead of bash him. Despite the flaws of his games, they are still excellent games. Some people act like they were playing Dr. Jeckyll and Mr. Hyde on NES. ;)

MarquisX

« Reply #42 on: June 10, 2009, 02:53:34 PM »
In Reply To #44

"I'm not a hater of IGA's, I am just a CV fan who thinks that IGA has brought many positives but also some negatives during his tenure as series producer.  The main positive IMO is his commitment to the 2D format, he has consistently brought us some of the best handheld games period for the last several years.  He should always be commended for that, and I too would like him to keep bringing us handheld games to complement the main series.  His major negatives IMO have been his inability to effectively bring the series into 3D, and also his handling of the overall story. "

If you are a hater or not, makes no difference to me. Castlevania fans NEVER see eye to eye so I just know what I like and everyone has their opinion. Yes, he has his neagatives and more positives. But people should think where would Castlevania be today without him? We get more scrambled storied games like the N64s, Circle of the Moon's story that doesn't fit. And eventually the series would of died out. But like Antraxx said, we have to wait and see what his fate is.

Offline DingusBelmondo

• Mysterious Stranger
  • Vampire Hunter
  • "Is this your wife? What a lovely throat!"
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #43 on: June 10, 2009, 04:24:31 PM »
I wish there was some kind of tribute all the IGA fans could make and then send him. I think he would really appreciate that kind of thing. Even though I am sure he is a wealthy man, he takes deep pride in his work, and I feel like he may get some pretty unfair criticisms. If anyone would appreciate a shout out from the fans, it's him. What is something we can all do or make together for him?
Go. Set Forth! Both your own life and hers are at stake.

Offline justin312

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #44 on: June 10, 2009, 05:52:02 PM »
I think one more thing that I haven't liked about IGA's tenure is the general direction of the Dracula character.  I think the initial inspiration for Castlevania was the Universal horror movies of the 30s and 40s, and then for the next few games the make of the character was influenced more strongly by the book.

But IGA seems to have been more strongly influenced by the Anne Rice vision of vampires, as beautiful and often sexually ambiguous.  This is not just because of the look of Dracula and many of the other characters, but also the awkward "bromances" and sometimes blatant homoeroticism that is present in some of his games (Harmony of Dissonance and Curse of Darkness jump to mind).  Dracula in the Stoker book was hideous, a frightening monster.  And even though the Bela Lugosi Dracula was dapper, he also had a constant menace about him; he was a hunter.  The IGA Dracula often seems like he's just bored with it all.  It just seems to me like IGA favors the Anne Rice take on vampires, which there's nothing wrong with, and I'm sure many people here like that direction better.  But personally, one of the things I am hoping that LoS does is include Dracula but present him in a way that more closely resembles the villain from the Stoker novel, and eschews the IGA "pretty boy Dracula".

Tags: