Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Dracula's Curse (Wii VC)  (Read 15107 times)

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2009, 05:44:30 PM »
I fired up FCE Ultra GX last night, Jorge, and noticed no cropping on CVIII. All the text at the top is perfectly visible on the sides and top. Ya just gotta turn off cropping, which is on the later versions of the emulator.

Comparing CVI, the Virtual Console version definitely shows more horizontally, but it's not such a big deal. It actually shows much more than an SDTV does playing the game on an NES, so I'm fine with what the emulator shows.

But yeah, it would be nice to have a more correct palette. I still feel the VC games are darker than what an actual NES puts out, but then, I haven't compared side-by-side or anything.

On another note, I like that the latest versions of Snes9x GX have a better 16:9 correction option. I hadn't updated in a while, so when I got my HDTV, I fired up the emulator, and it was displaying the games in a more box-shaped display, just as the games were developed, but that's not necessarily cool with me. So I'm glad that the later versions display the games 4:3. Not only that, but they have more viewing space on the top and bottom of the picture. Super Mario Kart used to be missing visual information on the top, but now it's all there.

Ah, these things just keep getting better and better. Now if only Genesis Plus offered a 16:9 correction option. Also, I'm not sure what to set the rendering to. "Progressive" is perhaps more fitting for my TV, and the screen doesn't tweak out every time I go to the menu, but there's a strange motion blur, even with all the filters turned off. Having the render option set to "Original" looks much sharper in motion.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline Kamirine

• Welcome to Fright Night.
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2009, 08:50:28 AM »
In Reply To #30

So do I.  I have no clue why I'm downloading it since I have the original on Nintendo but...I'm lazy. And don't wanna have to hook up said Nintendo.  ;D

Offline A n t r a x x

• ~ GamersMark EIC ~
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
Re: Dracula's Curse (Wii VC)
« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2009, 11:18:24 PM »
It's just cool having it RIGHT THERE on you Wii menu.  You're more apt to want to play it since it's staring right back at you when you go to play Mario Kart or whatever.  Also, that doubles if it's vs an illegal rom, because if you paid $5 for it, you're more willing to force yourself to get your money's worth by playing it.  Finally, it's just that good of a game :)

Me, I have all three CVs in cart form for the NES but no NES to play said CVs.  So this is great for me.  Although I do own Cv1 for the GBA too. (I have not yet d/l Cv1 or 2 for VC)

"Observe their fates and learn well."

Offline Dr. Mario

• A PC
  • Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2009, 11:25:10 PM »
Oooh looks like I'll be able to get Cadence of Agony on my Wii without too many problems...
I used fucking CV2 for Chorus of Mysteries, thinking it wouldn't matter, and it has all kinds of problems.
Oh and...
Already had the retranslated superior looking and sounding, CV3(j) on my Wii a long long time ago. Not paying for an inferior version.
Rofl, uzo only likes that version because it's Japanese.
-------------------
I'm a PC and I like cheeseburgers. Sometimes more than one.

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2009, 12:26:20 AM »
because if you paid $5 for it, you're more willing to force yourself to get your money's worth by playing it.

lol, that's never worked for me. I buy a lot of things and thus have too many games, movies, and CDs I haven't spent much or any time with. Sometimes I play with my pirated stuff more.

Although now that I can get Club Nintendo coins from Virtual Console downloads...I may consider buying.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2009, 12:27:59 AM by Abnormal Freak »
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #35 on: January 27, 2009, 05:08:47 AM »
In Reply To #35

I like it because it has superior music, graphics, and is translated into English.

Fail at troll.

Offline justin312

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #36 on: January 27, 2009, 05:41:24 AM »
Now that CVIII has been released, does anyone know if there are plans to release Rondo of Blood (original version, not the SNES port) on the Virtual Console in North America?  Or Bloodlines from the Genesis?

Offline Marty Belmont

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: January 27, 2009, 08:04:05 AM »

in the american version's defense, it does have several extra features to make up for the lack of technical capability, namely the codes that let you start the game with any of the partners, thus letting you visit any stage with them.

also, I think some of the music is better arranged in the American Version. ("Rising" being one example)

also, it's more challanging.

I'm 100% sure we'll get bloodlines eventually, as for rondo, I'm cautiously optimistic
PORK

Portrait of Rockin' Kastlevania

Offline Dr. Mario

• A PC
  • Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2009, 11:10:12 AM »
Not to go too off topic here (don't worry, I'll get back on after I give out this nugget of knowledge) Yeah, actually if you want to break it down on a technical level the US version is far superior to the Japanese version. Superior graphics only = non-censored graphics. The US version used a much more advanced mapper than the Japanese version did, allowing for some more advanced graphical effects. They also improved on some gameplay elements of it when the localized it for American audiences. Actually the only advancement the Japanese version had over it was the music.

Anyhoo, I'm probably not going to buy this, seeing how I bought the actual NES version within the past year for about the same price. It would seem like an awfully huge waste of money to me.
-------------------

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2009, 01:27:12 PM »
In Reply To #40

Completely wrong. The Japanese title had the more advanced graphics. Just watch both of the introduction sequences on youtube. The difference is very clear.

EDIT: Links.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SJaF8no9t0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGXEPt852IY
« Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 01:30:27 PM by uzo »

Offline Dr. Mario

• A PC
  • Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #40 on: January 28, 2009, 03:34:57 PM »
I mean you can say I'm completely wrong, but I'm actually working with the US version of Caslevania 3, and know what it's capable of.
-------------------

LBPHeretic

« Reply #41 on: January 28, 2009, 04:22:08 PM »
This is just a friendly reminder. Uzo and Dr. Mario, please try and stay on topic. :)

This thread wasn't originally intended to debate the pros and cons of the USA and Japan versions of CV3: Dracula's Curse. That subject has already been discussed, at length, in numerous threads in the past. ;)

Offline Long John Silver

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #42 on: January 29, 2009, 05:37:09 AM »
it's still more interesting than hearing 20+ people saying "oh man i'll buy it" "i wont i already have it" "i pirated it instead, fuck you konami" over and over.

LBPHeretic

« Reply #43 on: January 29, 2009, 02:33:41 PM »
In Reply To #44

If that's what was to be the result of the original topic of this thread, then so be it. Whether or not that particular type of banter annoys you, personally, is irrelevant. You don't like what you're reading in this thread? There's plenty of other threads available that may be less aggravating for you to peruse. ;)

I, for one, purchased the game on the Wii's Virtual Console because I like supporting the companies that make the games that I enjoy playing. Even if CV3: Dracula's Curse is over two decades old now and I already own a copy of the actual cartridge, it seemed worth it to me. :)
« Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 02:41:24 PM by LBPHeretic »

Offline Dr. Mario

• A PC
  • Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #44 on: January 29, 2009, 04:49:42 PM »
If I wouldn't have just purchased the NES cart within the past year or so, I probably would have purchased the VC version, but that definitely seems like spending my money twice on the same thing. I dunno, I think it has to do more with my personal time frame. I'll probably pirate it around when my hack is done, just for the sake of putting my hack in there instead of CV3, but that's about it.
-------------------

Tags: