Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: What will you miss about IGA?  (Read 23120 times)

Offline A n t r a x x

• ~ GamersMark EIC ~
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
Re: What will you miss about IGA?
« Reply #45 on: June 10, 2009, 06:44:50 PM »
I think that's more to do with Ayami Kojima than IGA.

It's her character designs after all.

"Observe their fates and learn well."

MarquisX

« Reply #46 on: June 10, 2009, 07:06:46 PM »
In Reply To #48

To response to justin312's description of Dracula and IGA's influences....they are kind of inaccurate. I read Bram Stoker's Dracula, he has many forms. He was old, he was a monster but then he was a young, handsome dignitary who swept Mina Harker off her feet. And as much as I love Bela Lugosi in Dracula...he wasn't all that menacing. If you want scary, watch Max Sherk in in the 1922 Nosferatu.

But anyway (I refuse to say digress! Dammit..) Alucard was more kind of modeled off Lestat from Anne Rice's books but Dracula kinda looked like "Dracula" in 18th century garb and older looks. Then he had a similar version but more wizard looking in CoD and HoD. In PoR, IGA gave Drac his classic Castlevania look which is the Bela Lugosi look (fitting for the 20th anniversary) and in OoE he had a very demonic, devil Dracula look to him. So both in Stoker's Dracula and Castlevania. If Dracula wants to be a pretty boy (though is a old man pretty?)- he does. If he wants to be a snarling monster- he does that too.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2009, 07:09:37 PM by MarquisX »

Offline justin312

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #47 on: June 10, 2009, 07:46:30 PM »
To response to justin312's description of Dracula and IGA's influences....they are kind of inaccurate. I read Bram Stoker's Dracula, he has many forms. He was old, he was a monster but then he was a young, handsome dignitary who swept Mina Harker off her feet. And as much as I love Bela Lugosi in Dracula...he wasn't all that menacing. If you want scary, watch Max Sherk in in the 1922 Nosferatu.

Sorry to make you look ignorant, but... you obviously have not read Bram Stoker's Dracula, you saw the movie Bram Stoker's Dracula by Francis Ford Coppola.  There's a big difference.  In the book, there is absolutely nothing about a romance between Mina Harker and Dracula, he didn't "sweep her off her feet", she was terrified of him from start to finish.  Coppola added that romantic subplot just for the movie, to make the story more Hollywood-friendly.  So no, what you are saying there is completely inaccurate.  But since you brought up Nosferatu with Max Schreck, most people that actually have read the novel by Bram Stoker agree that more accurately represents what Dracula was like in the book than Lugosi's version: he was hideous and frightening, not charming and sexy.

Offline A n t r a x x

• ~ GamersMark EIC ~
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #48 on: June 10, 2009, 07:48:03 PM »
I personally like sexy characters.

They go well with a sexy castle.

Offline A n t r a x x

• ~ GamersMark EIC ~
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #49 on: June 10, 2009, 08:37:02 PM »
In Reply To #52

I know this is off topic, but Antraxx, I have to ask. Why do you have Juste hanging in your signature? He is such an awesome character. He talked to both Death and Dracula as if they were children. He's such a badass.

Simply put: I don't like HoD, and Maxim was the only worthy character there. You'll note I didn't hang him.

There are far more "badass" protagonists in the series:

- Reinhardt Schneider (anyone that can rock a rat tail in armor and still look to be taken seriously is BADASS)

- Simon Belmont (anyone who gets 4 games and starts the series off is badass)

- Leon Belmont (he betrayed his religion to save his love, and at no point does he actually let his emotions get the best of him)

- Trevor Belmont (gets mortally stabbed and lives through it with no questions asked)

- Richter Belmont (item-crush, ripped-sleeve tunic, reckless attitude and surrounded by the ladies :D)

- Julius Belmont (the guy has a neckbeard. nuff said. Also as I've mentioned before, his appearance is so badass that I read his lines with Sean Connery's voice in mind)

- Carrie Fernandez (she's the most powerful thing in CV64... 'cept on hard mode)

- Maria Renard (NitM, Saturn)(with martial arts skills, a triple-jump AND uber powerful spells? She's unstoppable)

- Alucard (cold, expressionless, acts like he doesn't give a damn, can change into a wolf, dresses like a ladies man and slays his own immortal father)

- Henry (a fully-armored knight with a pistol? Need I say more?)

... so...

compared to these guys, what the hell is so special about Juste? He's entirely uninteresting to me, 'cept maybe his cool overcoat.

Carrie could drop Juste without even so much as looking at him.

Offline Aridale

• Master Hunter
  • =D
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
« Reply #50 on: June 10, 2009, 09:33:49 PM »
In Reply To #55

...shit

The only one of those three thatd have to actually touch Juste to make him cry would be Richter. Simon or Trevor could just look at him with that "Your a Belmont Huh?" look and hed be whimperin in the corner cryin into his girly white hair.

Offline A n t r a x x

• ~ GamersMark EIC ~
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #51 on: June 10, 2009, 09:59:36 PM »
Carrie doesn't even have to LOOK at the people she kills.

Seriously.

Sorry we're getting off topic.

MarquisX

« Reply #52 on: June 11, 2009, 03:02:20 AM »
In Reply To #51

"Sorry to make you look ignorant, but... you obviously have not read Bram Stoker's Dracula, you saw the movie Bram Stoker's Dracula by Francis Ford Coppola.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2009, 06:37:35 AM by MarquisX »

Offline cecil-kain

• Lord and Host
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Operation Akumajo
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #53 on: June 11, 2009, 07:07:28 AM »
This topic has become quite a requiem.  A few of you are way ahead of yourselves; presuming that IGA is now finished.  Konami has not commented of his current role, his involvement (or lack thereof) in Kojima's new game, nor have they commented on his future producing games in the series.  It is quite possible that another game --a portable --a Wiiware --perhaps even another home console game is still in development.  The bottom line is --we don't know.  And it's about time someone is the gaming press get some hard news from Konami's PR Department on this issue.

Offline justin312

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #54 on: June 11, 2009, 07:48:01 AM »
In Reply To #51

It's been 15 years since I read Dracula so I may been mistaken. Francis Ford Coppola version does use the basic structure of the novel minus a lot of romance stuff. I just thought there was a scene with a younger Drac talking with Mina. Picked up my book and I was mistaken. Hope that makes you feel better you pretentious bastard lol. But that's your only point you get. Everything else you said is still wrong about IGA's Dracula. IGA's Dracula is a old man. You're thinking Alucard.

MarquisX

« Reply #55 on: June 11, 2009, 10:16:36 AM »
In Reply To #61
Sigh...another jerk looking for a fight. I swear- you challenge anybody here- they proceed to be rude to you and when you give it back they suddenly act all self righteous. How convenient.

"I called you ignorant because you were citing a Coppola movie as a literary source.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2009, 10:47:12 AM by MarquisX »

Offline Giz

• Also Sprach Zarathustra
  • Forsaken
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #56 on: June 11, 2009, 10:26:30 AM »
Seriously dude, its fine that you haven't read the book, but don't come here claiming you did
Get over yourself.
-----------
If there's anything that would make me hate the classic Castlevania games, it most certainly isn't the games themselves; but rather, that ignorant fraction of their fanbase.

MarquisX

« Reply #57 on: June 11, 2009, 10:32:17 AM »
In Reply To #63

"Seriously dude, its fine that you haven't read the book, but don't come here claiming you did
Get over yourself. "

Thanks man. :) Yeah, I goofed about the scene, but to think I am lying about reading a book? And he wonders why I called him pretentious.

Offline justin312

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #58 on: June 11, 2009, 11:10:54 AM »
In Reply To #62

Not trying to look for an argument or be rude.  The only thing I said was that based on your comments I didn't think you read the book, so I thought that contradicting someone else's points who had read it was ignorant.  You talk about me being rude, but I'm not the one hurling insults here and name-calling, you are.  But whatever, I'll take your word for it that you read it, OK?  Peace.

But my original point was not that I think his characters are all based off Anne Rice, just that he seems to me to take much more inspiration from the Anne Rice vision than the Stoker vision.  Thats all I was saying. 

And to your statement of "And BTW, get your self checked out- that fetish finding a video game villain sexy doesn't sound mentally healthy"... I don't find video game characters sexy.  And I also don't understand why homoerotic undertones need to be added to some of these video games (like CoD and HoD).  Thats another reason that makes me think IGA is more a fan of Rice's than of Stoker's.  So maybe IGA is the one who needs to get himself checked out if that fetish stuff isn't mentally healthy.

Offline Gunlord

• Wandering Mendicant
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Meow.
  • Awards Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • My blog
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #59 on: June 11, 2009, 11:40:59 PM »
In Reply To #65

Er...friend Justin, that may just be a marketing thing. In japan, from what I understand, 'beautiful' guys are actually considered sexy and desirable. So perhaps the folks at Konami were just trying to increase their games' sex appeals in the hopes of selling more copies. ^^

Check me out at gunlord500.wordpress.com!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phhCrFZek44

Tags:

anything