Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Confirmation- Koji Igarashi is still at konami (Sadly??)  (Read 28765 times)

Offline Munchy

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
Re: Confirmation- Koji Igarashi is still at konami (Sadly??)
« Reply #75 on: August 14, 2009, 02:12:20 AM »
In Reply To #75

Agree wholeheartedly.

Offline Evil_Kitty

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #76 on: August 14, 2009, 07:32:01 AM »
In Reply To #75

I will say that timeline can play an important part in establishing the game world and adding a fair amount of mystery--though mystery is better established when the timeline is unclear like the Zelda series which has a timeline but isn't known.

However, in Castlevania, as well as many other games, the game world is built on elements and generalities that exist between games such as mythological creatures/horror movies, a gothic-medieval atmosphere, and gameplay elements like candles in the universe strangely drop hearts.

The Castlevania games are so isolated from eachother timewise anyway where you can still have game lore while taking a few creative liberties with them. I don't care how the Vampire Killer whip was created as much as I do that it exists. My point is as long as a Castlevania has the guts of the game I see no reason why it fit into the preestablished universe.

Also the more crap they add, typically, the more it can diminish atmosphere. I don't think game developers understand the great value in the "unknown". It's what made games like Metroid and Silent Hill so compelling.

Offline Thomas Belmont

• Legendary
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #77 on: August 14, 2009, 08:20:54 AM »
CV fans are way too obsessed with the timeline anyway. It's only a series of video games, and it should be judged by how fun the games are, not if they're connected or not. Look at Zelda, Mario, Mega Man or whatever... A good game is a good game, and a bad game is a bad game regardless if they "fit" with the rest of the games or not. Gimme 150 different timelines that make no sense whatsoever and I'll still play them (as long as the games are good).

Offline shelverton.

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #78 on: August 14, 2009, 09:43:11 AM »
In Reply To #78

Well, the problem is that people would eventually start to wonder why we've had the same gothic environments for 500+ games. When are the Belmonts ever gonna start using machine guns? Space ships? Regardless of what year it is, things would change DRASTICALLY in each game and it would be hard to justify another medieval village after only a handfull of games..

It would work if the games only took place inside Dracula's Castle. I can totally see why things haven't changed much in there. But Castlevania also likes to take place outside the castle walls, and what will the transylvanian countryside look like in, say, 500 years? It would take only 5 games to get there. I don't want there to be flying cars and cyborgs wandering the villages, but at the same time it wouldn't be believable if NOTHING whatsoever had changed in all that time. I dunno... I like the 100 years rule, but I'm just pointing out some problems with it..

Maybe if the games took place in an alternate dimension were humans weren't making any industrial or technical progress whatsoever..

As far as I'm concerned the IGA timeline is close to finished. LoS or not - CV needs a reboot sooner or later.

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #79 on: August 14, 2009, 10:35:48 AM »
As far as I'm concerned the IGA timeline is close to finished.

There's still 300 years of monster slaying the Belmonts must engage in. The timeline has PLENTY of room for more games!

Offline Giz

• Also Sprach Zarathustra
  • Forsaken
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #80 on: August 15, 2009, 02:19:49 PM »
Mega Man
Mega Man has a very established timeline that makes sense, albeit there are still some holes in the plot that need to be filled.

Also the more crap they add, typically, the more it can diminish atmosphere. I don't think game developers understand the great value in the "unknown". It's what made games like Metroid and Silent Hill so compelling.
I do somewhat agree with this, despite how convenient it may be to have an easily accesable database with enemy information and item drops and the like.

-----------
If there's anything that would make me hate the classic Castlevania games, it most certainly isn't the games themselves; but rather, that ignorant fraction of their fanbase.

Offline Dark Nemesis

• Lord of Darkness
  • Master Hunter
  • Peeping your dreams....
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #81 on: August 17, 2009, 03:38:53 AM »
I want to hear some opinions, about what do you expect IGA is going to show at Gamescon? A new metroidvania for DS? The Aloucard project or something that has nothing to do with Castlevania at all? Let's put our bets!!!! I personally believe it's going to be a Castlevania for the DSi. What do you think people?
Ruler of Chaos

Offline justin312

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #82 on: August 17, 2009, 05:20:41 AM »
In Reply To #82

I don't think he's going to show anything at Gamescon.  If they are planning to show more of Lords of Shadow at Gamescon, I think Konami will want all eyes to be on that (for Castlevania fans, anyway).  I don't think you will hear from Iga until TGS.

Offline shelverton.

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention.
    • Awards
« Reply #83 on: August 17, 2009, 05:36:12 AM »
In Reply To #82

I still think IGA is working on the Alucardvania, and it's not gonna be shown for another 6 months or so. Having said that we won't see IGA at Gamescom. In the unlikely event of him NOT working on the Alucardvania anymore, he's probably doing;

A) A new DS Castlevania.
B) A new IP with cyborgs, though not Nanobreaker 2.
C) A new Chronicles title for the PSP and/or XBLA, possibly one that deals with Dracula's Curse. It's gonna happen and you know it.
D) Something completely unexpected, like, Cooking Papa.

:D

I honestly don't believe he's working on a new DS Castlevania though. I mean, the man needs a break from that formula.

Offline Dark Nemesis

• Lord of Darkness
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #84 on: August 17, 2009, 08:47:14 AM »
In Reply To #84

Yeah, but what if nintendo forces him to make a Castlevania game for DSi, to push the sales of the console?
Ruler of Chaos

Offline shelverton.

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #85 on: August 17, 2009, 04:41:37 PM »
In Reply To #85

I highly doubt Nintendo would force him to do anything - he's not even working for Nintendo. But I'm sure they've probably already asked Konami to bring CV to DSi. After all, it's a very strong franchise on the handheld. But maybe Konami will have someone else make the next DS game anyway, much like they're trying MercurySteam for LoS? Time will tell...

Offline Dark Nemesis

• Lord of Darkness
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #86 on: August 18, 2009, 03:05:47 AM »
In Reply To #86

Since IGA for me is the master of 2D sprites, i doubt that Konami will put someone else to make a Castlevania for DSi.

No IGA at Gamescon:

Konami - Gamescom lineup
August 17, 2009 by RawmeatCowboy Filed Under: Wii

Playable

- PES 2010 (PS3, Xbox 360, Wii)
- Silent Hill: Shattered Memories (Wii)
- DanceDanceRevolution HOTTEST PARTY 2 (Wii)
- pop
« Last Edit: August 18, 2009, 04:22:19 AM by Dark Nemesis »
Ruler of Chaos

Offline darkwzrd4

• All Powerful Spellcaster
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #87 on: August 18, 2009, 09:21:30 AM »
I predict that if he is currently working on something, it is any of the following:
1) The 3D game with Alucard we saw that teaser trailer for months ago
2) Another chronicles game (hopefully CV3 in 2.5D for PSP)
3) A 2D for DS (or DSi)
4) a 2D (or 2.5D) game for PSP

I hope that if this is the case, he is working on either item one or two on the list above.
Behold my power and tremble

Offline Reinhart77

• Courage, don't leave me now.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness (N64)
« Reply #88 on: August 21, 2009, 07:02:24 PM »
If he's not working on a new Igavania, it will be really hard for him to show his face after what happened, and be hard to promote this new thing he's working on.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2009, 07:05:45 PM by Reinhart77 »

Offline Giz

• Also Sprach Zarathustra
  • Forsaken
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #89 on: August 21, 2009, 08:35:03 PM »
Since IGA for me is the master of 2D sprites, i doubt that Konami will put someone else to make a Castlevania for DSi.
Um.

How?

He didn't sprite any of the graphics, "he" consistently reuses sprites and in many of the later CV games - like PoR and OoE especially - there isn't even a consistent graphical style. There are so many different conflicting sprite styles in those games that it's downright atrocious, and the new sprites generally range from terrible to acceptable, with the occasional 'awesome'.

Several of the bosses from OoE look terrible - Wallman and Blackmore, specifically. The first boss, Arthroverta, is awkward. Almost all of the new enemies from PoR are terrible.

Even if there were some consistency, despite the generally very smooth animations and nice backgrounds, I've seen much better sprites out there then what Iga's teams have had to offer.
-----------
If there's anything that would make me hate the classic Castlevania games, it most certainly isn't the games themselves; but rather, that ignorant fraction of their fanbase.

Tags:

anything