Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Professional Opinion about Lords of Shadow's Musical Score  (Read 19267 times)

Offline Ahasverus

• Just a long slumber
  • Master Hunter
  • Wandering on horizon road
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
« Last Edit: October 14, 2010, 07:24:07 PM by Ahasverus »

Everything comes full circle

Offline thernz

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
Re: Professional Opinion about Lords of Shadow's Musical Score
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2010, 07:22:09 PM »
I see that you really like the soundtrack.

Oh man, this place is dark. This needs some dark music even though I'm fighting comic skeletons tossing bones from hammerspace, and the rest of the castle is based on cheesy horror films! Let's just ignore how the game isn't all grim.

Well, it works for Lords just it discarded all of that for hard seriousness, barring Chupacabra.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2010, 07:26:48 PM by thernz »

Offline Ahasverus

• Just a long slumber
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2010, 07:25:20 PM »
lol that was so true for old CV xD.
However, this time is different, and it could be said that the saga was not more serious because of IGA's weird sense of humor (Persefone FTW)

Offline thernz

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2010, 07:27:49 PM »
Well, I personally don't like LoS's soundtrack for other reasons than it's not the same so I guess this doesn't really apply to me anyway, haha.

Offline beingthehero

• Duke of New York
  • Master Hunter
  • EROTIC VIOLENCE
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2010, 07:32:14 PM »
However, this time is different, and it could be said that the saga was not more serious because of IGA's weird sense of humor (Persefone FTW)

The Persephone enemy originated from Castlevania X68k which was released way back in '93.

Offline Ahasverus

• Just a long slumber
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2010, 07:34:06 PM »
The Persephone enemy originated from Castlevania X68k which was released way back in '93.
Did she have the vacuum cleaner then? O.o

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2010, 08:29:59 PM »
Sure, it's more of what you'd expect out of a generic fantasy motif. But in a way, that detracts from the charm of how unique of an experience Castlevania has been. It was serious, yet dove into uniqueness and nonconformity by breaking out some awesome tunes, and delivering a sometimes subtle yet appreciable sense of humor.

Even though it wasn't generic 'epic' medieval music, it was still fitting because it was KICK ASS music. You're a badass warrior with a whip kicking ass, and making your way to Dracula. Then you kick his ass too.

Stuff generic and stereotypical material into Castlevania, and you will get a more generic and less unique experience. This is pretty much the definition of Lords of Shadow. A more generic Castlevania game.

Sure, generic sells more, but it also stifles the series' charm in the process. This is why people are having beef against Lords of Shadow, and it's more generic music.

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2010, 09:06:34 PM »
I haven't even played the game yet, but I fully endorse uzo's post.

The game just looks all-too-typical to me. Nothing about its looks, its music, its gameplay, and so on interests me. Generic is a term that fits this game perfectly, from what I've seen.

A couple of my friends have griped to me over me not being interested to play the game. "Oh, just quit being so stuck-up and play it!" Sorry if my tastes are different from yours and I generally like things that are more unique and inspired. What's funny is neither of the two offenders are hardcore fans of the series. I don't think either one of them has even played through an entire Castlevania game, so fuck'em. I'm sick of people whining about me and discrediting my opinions just because they get all butthurt when I don't see eye-to-eye with them. (Most of my "friends" tend to think I dislike things just to "be different." The smarter ones, over time, realize that's not the case, but some of 'em are still real big dicks who won't let that pretension go.)
« Last Edit: October 14, 2010, 09:10:06 PM by Abnormal Freak »
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline corneliab

• Forsaken
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2010, 09:13:23 PM »
A couple of my friends have griped to me over me not being interested to play the game. "Oh, just quit being so stuck-up and play it!" Sorry if my tastes are different from yours and I generally like things that are more unique and inspired. What's funny is neither of the two offenders are hardcore fans of the series. I don't think either one of them has even played through an entire Castlevania game, so fuck'em. I'm sick of people whining about me and discrediting my opinions just because they get all butthurt when I don't see eye-to-eye with them. (Most of my "friends" tend to think I dislike things just to "be different." The smarter ones, over time, realize that's not the case, but some of 'em are still real big dicks who won't let that pretension go.)

irl bullshit

the fuck

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2010, 09:25:36 PM »
yaino

After I typed it, I thought, "Why the hell am I putting this here?" Then I decided to post it anyway 'cos it was a rant FROM THE HEART.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline Dracgou

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2010, 09:46:44 PM »
I have listen to Oscar Araujo’s  work for LOS and honestly his music in LOS in my opioion doesn't hold a candle to Basil Poledouris' or  John Williams' works.

Conan the barbarian soundtrack

Conan The Barbarian(Suite) - Basil Poledouris

RoboCop (1987) Theme

Superman Theme

Star Wars- The Imperial March (Darth Vader's Theme)

Proabley one of the greatest  movie villian themes in history.

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2010, 09:48:42 PM »
Man... RoboCop has one of the few orchestral film scores I actually like. So awesome.

And to make the film and its music even cooler, it's got that wicked PTP song playing in a club.

Ministry - PTP - Show Me Your Spine
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline thernz

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2010, 09:59:31 PM »
Yeah that's the problem I have. I don't really find it to be a particularly engaging score even when it stands alone. I don't think I ever really thought negatively of it because it wasn't "Castlevania-style."

Offline Dracgou

• Awards
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2010, 10:43:56 PM »
random music fact:   Splatterhouse 1 to 3's music style was inspired by horror music from  known Italian horror flicks from the 1970's and 1980's , plus a few selected american ones.  but the number one  influence for Splatterhouse 1 to 3's music style is Fabio Frizzi.

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2010, 11:05:50 PM »
Woo, Fabio Frizzi. The Beyond and those other Fulci flicks have got some real eerie, moody sounds. I could totally see the Splatterhouse music being inspired by that.

'Cept there's no funky bass guitar in any of those games, lol.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Tags: