Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: RUMOR: Castlevania 3DS made by MERCURYSTEAM  (Read 50312 times)

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
Re: RUMOR: Castlevania 3DS made by MERCURYSTEAM
« Reply #105 on: December 23, 2010, 11:18:26 AM »
I also suspect that a lot of IGA bashing is born from the dreadful Sorrow plot.

I agree with this too. AoS at the time was an interesting game, but for me it felt improper to the series as I was expecting a true sequal to Bloodlines. But personally, I think the damage became insurmountable when IGA did the two PS2 titles (especially the LoI story).

-X
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Sumac

• Legendary Hunter
  • Logic dominates. Fools must be controlled.
  • Awards The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #106 on: December 23, 2010, 04:22:56 PM »
I understand the feeling, but see it this way: IGA's been making CV games for 15 years and we're still getting "This time he'll prove himself!", "Give him a chance!", "He's gonna get the next one right!" defences.
That's what I never understood about IGA defenders - for almost 20 years he made CV games. Some good, some mediocre, some bad. Lately most of his games are quite subpar. So it's fair that some people don't have high hopes in his creations anymore. That kind of reaction is to be expected.
I am not against IGA, at least not completely. He had his own moments, but I think his time with the series has come to an end. He must stay with the series maybe as a second producer or someone who could suggest ideas, but not actually have final say in the creation.
In short what just Valtiel said: Castlevania needs new blood, young blood, new ideas.

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #107 on: December 23, 2010, 04:41:29 PM »
Castlevania needs new blood, young blood, new ideas.

That's already happening... right now. I don't know why people keep reiterating the same stuff over 'n over "CV needs to change," it's been changing since 2008.

Offline SIRHardle

• Currently working on a second CV game.
  • Hunter in Training
    • Sonata In Red's website.
    • Awards
« Reply #108 on: December 23, 2010, 04:49:51 PM »
But maybe CV should change again...
Castlevania: Sonata in Red
www.freewebs.com/sonatainred

Offline whitedragon_nall

• Vampire Hunter
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #109 on: December 23, 2010, 05:14:21 PM »
He must stay with the series maybe as a second producer or someone who could suggest ideas, but not actually have final say in the creation.

I agree with this. Even if IGA isn't in charge, he should stand by as an advisor of sorts. I wish MS would've done something similar. Maybe not with IGA, but somebody else from Konami who had previous Castlevania experience.

I don't think Castlevania needs a huge, drastic overhaul, but we've been stuck in the same formula for close to 15 years now. I do like IGA's games, but even I recognize that they have become somewhat stale. The OoE Training Hall and games like Shadow Complex, Odin Sphere, Muramasa, and even the Prinny series seem like good places to draw inspiration from.....as long as they don't go and outright copy them.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #110 on: December 23, 2010, 05:43:08 PM »
Maybe Konami should hire Treasure to do the next CV game. They made SCV4 and it was phenomenal!

-X
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline whitedragon_nall

• Vampire Hunter
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #111 on: December 23, 2010, 07:35:07 PM »
Now that's a grand idea!!!

Offline DragonSlayr81

• The Beast Inside
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #112 on: December 23, 2010, 07:35:25 PM »
Maybe Konami should hire Treasure to do the next CV game. They made SCV4 and it was phenomenal!

-X
Isn't treasure dead?

Offline Hanniballistic

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #113 on: December 23, 2010, 07:43:33 PM »
I understand the feeling, but see it this way: IGA's been making CV games for 15 years and we're still getting "This time he'll prove himself!", "Give him a chance!", "He's gonna get the next one right!" defences.

It's like people were expecting him to be a (very) late bloomer or something. It's not even fair to him - the man already proved his worth, he did some quite good games, and then didn't manage to keep up with his own standards.

I don't mind more IGA games, but I don't think he's what CV needs. He did good as a young assistant director on SotN, and that's what we need - new blood, young blood, new ideas.

I also suspect that a lot of IGA bashing is born from the dreadful Sorrow plot. I won't comment on the games, but for a lot of fans the disgusting Sorrow animu twist and plot was the last straw. Making a bad game is one thing, can happen to everyone and is forgivable. Taking the CV lore, story and mood and torturing it like that was criminal.

I was never in the camp of people that was "giving IGA a chance" each game.  I've liked all the Castlevania games in one way or another.  I think all his games are solid entries except for Judgement and Despair, which seemed like side-projects anyway.  Like I've always said, the games have always been strange and goofy.  I liked that about them.  As for the anime style, I really do wonder how much that was his idea.  Creating games is a collaborative process, not just with the production team, but Konami as well.  I feel blaming IGA alone is unfair and I think everyone should be aware that he isn't the only one making decisions.

This isn't directed at you, but you brought up a few points I wanted to address!

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #114 on: December 23, 2010, 10:42:17 PM »
Actually that is a very valid point. However IGA does get the final say and the majority of his team with exceptions to his music artist and portrait artist, everybody else remains nameless. So in the end, we end up blaming him.

-X

Offline VGuyver

• Haunted by Typo's
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Haunted by Typo's
    • Awards
« Reply #115 on: December 23, 2010, 10:44:00 PM »
IGA talked about hsi past production issues with Konami. For example, he actually would like to focus more on the handhelds then the console games because they are 2D in nature, but keeps getting nodged towards trying to improve the console games. Something has had mixed results. He also says he doesn't exactly get a good budget like lots of other projects such as MGS. It's part of the reason why they have to keep recycling many of the sprites through out the games.

IGA doesn't deserve the full blame for the success and failures of the franchise, it's still a product owned by Konami and it's staff, and in the end all he has is a good deal of power over it, but even Konami can overide them or simply time and budget problems can get in the way too.

If you want a good example, look at the Original Director of FFXII That guy is one of my favorite videogame directors, but he got royaly screwed over by Square-Enix on many points. If it weren't for that Basch would of been the lead in the game and Vaan would of just been another anoying sidekick instead of the annoying main lead.

Offline shelverton.

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention.
    • Awards
« Reply #116 on: December 24, 2010, 05:57:48 AM »

Treasure has done questionable games...

90's Treasure - hell yes!
2010 Treasure? Not so sure...

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #117 on: December 24, 2010, 06:16:24 AM »
I don't know... I love Sin & Punishment: Star Successor.  That was 2010 no?
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline capkcan

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #118 on: December 25, 2010, 01:05:57 PM »
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :'(

Offline ganonfloyd

• Hunter in Training
  • Listen without distraction.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #119 on: December 25, 2010, 02:27:57 PM »
I would kill for a Treasure Castlevania game.

Tags: