Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: News: Dave Cox about continuing LoS after 2: My head says no, my heart yes  (Read 56754 times)

Offline Pfil

• How I miss the old days...
  • Master Hunter
  • Quit treating me like a child!
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin (NDS)
You know what? Screw all you guys, I'm sticking with Serio's Castlevania Fighter. :P
Great point. Serio's game looks and sound like Castlevania, and the fights are more entertaining than the 10.000 hits 2D battles of Mirror of Fate that last for several minutes.

#1 - so by the logic of the universe.he is directly responsible by all thing´s that happen to ''Castlevania'' from this point.

#2 - i´m with you. why people insist in be so foolishly blind and don´t accept the truth ?

#3 - if i express 1/3 of my opinion about LoS and Dave ''Emotional Instability'' Cox... well better not think on this.

LOS is classicvania 3D ?
Lament of innocence is the only Classicvania 3D  experience that i felt. LordofMayofwaroflighthoodVania Don´t count as one. 

LoI is ClassicVania in 3D with elements of MetroidVania, and also Legacy of Darkness, is the perfect 3D Castlevania.
And Curse of Darkness is MetroidVania in 3D.

You can express what you feel about LoS and Cox with respect, that's what the forum is for.

Castlevania Quest Horror -Play Movie-
The Michmede games are masterpieces, and even this 3D experiment is more fun than LoS, and, unlike the MS games, it looks like CV has always looked, and especially the music is exactly what Castlevania sounds like.
I'd rather play Castlevania: Quest Horror than LoS, and Castlevania: Quest is way, way better game than Mirror of Fate, and it was made by only one person with almost zero budget.
And don't get me started on Dracula's Shadow, for that's one of the best games ever, and the soundtrack... my God, the soundtrack...

By the way, i'm not related to Michmede, I just know his games and tunes. But they are masterpieces.

LoS is God of War with Castlevania elements. This will hold true 'till the end of times.

Just like Tomb Raider is Uncharted with Tomb Raider elements.

Both new games were somewhat inspired by the old games and got the template "copied" instead. With their own differences, of course.

I don't really think LoS resembles ANY Castlevania game, at all.

Totally agree.

Pfil, I can't send PMs to you, why?

I don't have that option enabled, I'm used to do that on the web.

I don't see nothing elegant and beautiful about chair collecting, clowns and cream pies as subweapons. If anything, those and some other things are examples of lack of moderation and attempts to inject some odd, of the wall humor in the series, that never was overtly funny to begin with. Also, such strong separation "Everything Japanese CV = good, everything MS CV = bad" is rather wrong in my opinion.
You already have it - LOS is classicvania in 3D, and MOF is a hybrid of classicvania, metroidvania and LOS style.

I think exactly the opposite. Japanese attempts at humour worked with me, but MS ones didn't... as everything else MS did... just didn't work for me.

And no, I don't have anything.
Where is my typical soundtrack?
And my shop to buy items and potions?
And my anime-inspired characters?
What about my blue map percentage completion?
And where is the inventory, where I can equip spells, weapons, armors?
Where are the beautiful enemies like Succubus or Venus Weed?
And why is everything so dark and monotonous?
Where is the ClassicVania platforming?

And also, I don't like QTE, I don't like combos, I don't like normal enemies that take 10000 hits to die, and I don't like automatic platforming, and battles with titans don't look like CV to me either.
And above all: I don't like generic Hollywood sound with little melodies and simple and boring non-neoclassical chord progressions.
And I can spend a few pages of text explaining what is missing from CV, and what I see here that don't belong in this world.

And yeah, I believe we are calmly discussing so far, but if we are annoying another members perhaps we should just let it go.
Now I'm tired, eternally walking... forever dying, and never stopping. I feel in sorrow, all I see is white. I’m following a blind way beneath a sad sky.

Offline VladCT

• Dark Lord of Wallachia
  • Master Hunter
  • The night is still young...
  • Awards 2015-01-Sprite Contest Gold Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
I'm happy that you enjoy Serio's game as well, but please don't drag me into this.
It is precisely because it never cared, that people do care.  It's something which it's lacking, because that which it has, it has lackluster of.
^^
You are now reading this in Robert Belgrade's voice.

Then Lords of Shadow 2 just takes a big, semi-solid, smelly, pea-green dump all over everything.

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
Instead, how about instead of discussing what's ripped, what's not, which musician each of us likes better, and what country we think is cooler, how about we talk about what's in the game and the merits and demerits of it regardless of who made it and where it came from? Wouldn't that be something?
ok stop yelling at me  ???

Offline e105beta

• Shafted
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2015-03-Sprite Contest 3rd Place The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate (N3DS)
ok stop yelling at me  ???

I don't mean to come off as yelling, it's just I got so tired of the argument the first time around, it seems even more banal 2 or so years later having not changed a bit.

I mean, I have no problem with debate, but this isn't it. It's just stating facts and applying entirely opinion based judgments to them.

"Lords of Shadow is dumb because it doesn't have this list of things that I demand be in Castlevania"
"No, no, no, it has all of these things in it that are Castlevania, just not the things you like!"
"That's not Castlevania"
"Yes it is!"
"No it's not!"
"UH HUH!"
"NUH UH!"

There's no actual analysis of the game going on. It's just the same headbanging we were all doing the first time around.

Offline Pfil

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
Instead, how about instead of discussing what's ripped, what's not, which musician each of us likes better, and what country we think is cooler, how about we talk about what's in the game and the merits and demerits of it regardless of who made it and where it came from? Wouldn't that be something?
But that's part of what I did.
I didn't find anything redeeming in any of 2 MS games so far.
It's not my fault I didn't like them at all, because I really wanted to.
At this point, it's been 5 years since I'm dying for another Castlevania. And not necessarily an "IGAVania". Give me a ClassicVania with traditional soundtrack, little to no story, and 6 linear levels, where a Belmont must go and fight Dracula, no need to explain anything, and I'm happy.
The other part of what I did is to defend what I like and what I think.
But it's pointless, because what he likes and consider CV, I don't like at all, and what is my favourite game ever, he doesn't like and doesn't consider CV at all. So I believe we will never agree, and as I said, if it's got to the point when we are annoying another users, perhaps we must let it go.

I'm happy that you enjoy Serio's game as well, but please don't drag me into this.
Yeah, we shouldn't include Serio's and Michmede games in this argument.
They are all awesome in their own right!

And I've just realized: all of them they are excellent Castlevania games made by westerners!
Here's to Konami letting the next CV to fans (as I always say: we can dream, can't we?).
Now I'm tired, eternally walking... forever dying, and never stopping. I feel in sorrow, all I see is white. I’m following a blind way beneath a sad sky.

Offline e105beta

• Shafted
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2015-03-Sprite Contest 3rd Place The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate (N3DS)
But that's part of what I did.
I didn't find anything redeeming in any of 2 MS games so far.
It's not my fault I didn't like them at all, because I really wanted to.
At this point, it's been 5 years since I'm dying for another Castlevania. And not necessarily an "IGAVania". Give me a ClassicVania with traditional soundtrack, little to no story, and 6 linear levels, where a Belmont must go and fight Dracula, no need to explain anything, and I'm happy.
The other part of what I did is to defend what I like and what I think.
But it's pointless, because what he likes and consider CV, I don't like at all, and what is my favourite game ever, he doesn't like and doesn't consider CV at all. So I believe we will never agree, and as I said, if it's got to the point when we are annoying another users, perhaps we must let it go.

No, but when you make statements to the effect of "Japan > West" it kind of ruins the impact of your argument. It makes you seem like you care less about how to get a better Castlevania, and more of just "That. Do that over again." ONE Western studios has gotten their hands on the franchise. There's no reason another Western studio couldn't make it completely differently and have you enjoy it.

And I really, there's nothing wrong with pointing out things you don't like about a game, but when the discussion can't progress beyond "Well, that's just your opinion, man" then I agree, it's probably time to stop.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 07:34:37 PM by e105beta »

Offline Laina

• F.A.N.G. stands for “fucking awful, not great”, babe - me to UZO on SFV
  • RetroDungeonite
  • Legendary Hunter
  • 大丈夫だよ!
  • Awards Lurker: Spies on from afar, rarely interacting with the general populace. Seeks to keep games/fandoms free of any changes they deem Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
Let's all bring up "ZOMG, YOU CAN'T SAY JAPAN IS BETTER THAN WEST BECAUSE___" a minimum of 23 more times because we can only take statements at face value. Pfil has just explained herself & her wording in great detail for the last 3 pages-let's scrutinize her & argue semantics some more. Then, let's throw around the words 'invalid, opinion, your & WRONG' (spelled just like that) like we're gonna get a prize if we do it enough. Finally, let's get a little more petty & then maybe once the smoke has settled from all that we can start moving on.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 08:13:27 PM by Laina »
Groove is in the heart.

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
Also lets not forget to say "Lets stop this and be rational, say how and why without saying the motives" and then start all this mess again.
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Pfil

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
Laina you are so nice  :)

Edit: Lelygax you are so cool, too!

Offline Laina

• F.A.N.G. stands for “fucking awful, not great”, babe - me to UZO on SFV
  • RetroDungeonite
  • Legendary Hunter
  • 大丈夫だよ!
  • Awards Lurker: Spies on from afar, rarely interacting with the general populace. Seeks to keep games/fandoms free of any changes they deem Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards

lol Thank you. I just felt like something needed to be said. Anyway, you've expressed how you're more than willing to let it go, so hopefully everyone else can agree.
Groove is in the heart.

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)

Thanks, Im only doing what I think is right.
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Akuma

• GILGAMESH FAN KING
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
Eh.  I've said it before.  All people seem to want is the same game with a different skin each time.(They just want SotN over and over again with a gimmick each time, and further analysis shows it's a derivative of Castlevania 2 with heavy Metroid influence)  It's up to Konami for what they want Castlevania to be.  Dunno bout you but the original timeline is a mess IMO. 

If you hate the LoS series, fine, that doesn't mean you have to whine about it constantly(quite sad).  You can just hibernate until a game you want surfaces.  A company isn't gonna care about your verbal complaints, they care about the money received for their product.  Fact of the matter is that the LoS series is the best selling Castlevania to date(or rather it's first installment).  It's a fact, regardless if you like it or not.

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
  • Not going to lie I love blue haired anime chicks
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
This is what I mean, I  tend to miss things like these. What sparked these past few comments?
School calls yet, man... -_-

It seems to be "what's a castlevania" thing.

On another note has anyone ever thought about LoS being simliar to say, Belmont's revenge due to the fantasy aspect?

Eh.  I've said it before.  All people seem to want is the same game with a different skin each time.(They just want SotN over and over again with a gimmick each time, and further analysis shows it's a derivative of Castlevania 2 with heavy Metroid influence)  It's up to Konami for what they want Castlevania to be.  Dunno bout you but the original timeline is a mess IMO. 

If you hate the LoS series, fine, that doesn't mean you have to whine about it constantly(quite sad).  You can just hibernate until a game you want surfaces.  A company isn't gonna care about your verbal complaints, they care about the money received for their product.  Fact of the matter is that the LoS series is the best selling Castlevania to date(or rather it's first installment).  It's a fact, regardless if you like it or not.

When I was seven my bro put dracula's curse into the nes and it was a starting point to where am I now. Skip to 1998/9 to cv64 and I stopped being a fan that dang chainsaw man scared me for a while and still does to this day. Now skip to high school and around the time portrait of ruin IIRC and I fell in love with cv again it was a nice birthday present and afterwards I wanted to hunt down all cv games. For the most part I found all the gba titles in the span of four years but something happened afterwards. I started to slowly but surely play the classics, now I have most of the games. The ones that I am missing are belmonts revenge, legends, that haunted castle (but it's an arcade cabinet would rather have a snk on to be honest), kid dracula, and vampire killer. Now fast foward to right now and in the end despite being brought back into the series by MV's I would really a classicvania game from our generation no remakes or rebirth but a full blown classic. The reason will be revealed later since I'm to tried but, I want to state it none the less. But I will say that I am a classics fans.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 01:44:49 AM by Neobelmont »
(click to show/hide)
Come on now this was going to happen eventually  :P

Offline Zetheraxza

• Vampire Hunter
  • Romantically Justified...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow (GBA)
Yeah well, Castlevania was a Mario Rip Off... It was using A to Jump and B to attack.

Offline Akuma

• GILGAMESH FAN KING
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
They should make SotN Pachislot.  Japan Only.

Tags: