Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: News: Dave Cox about continuing LoS after 2: My head says no, my heart yes  (Read 56734 times)

Offline Pfil

• How I miss the old days...
  • Master Hunter
  • Quit treating me like a child!
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin (NDS)
IMO I would rather IGA not return. He's done his part, and a pretty big part at that. And it's obviously he was tired with Castlevania. I would rather see someone new. (that means no MS either)
Bloodrayne betrayal was neat, but severely lacking. Once I beat it I have not touched it. It also falls into the pitfall of locking you in a room to beat up enemies before progressing. Except there are limited combos so it gets severely repetitive. That said, I would not mind seeing Wayforward make a CV game.
I doubt a new studio would follow the LoS timeline. It is open and close, and was done by MS/CoX. If a new studio was given the reigns, they are more likely to make an installment in the classic canon or make a new one altogether.
I agree. If he's still tired there's no point on bringing him back.
I also didn't like that part of Bloodrayne of being locked like in a beat'em up.
But the thing I want the most is the usual Castlevania soundtracks to return.
Without the music, no matter what, it can never be the full Castlevania experience for me.
Jake Kaufman from WayForward exceeded in that department.
Now I'm tired, eternally walking... forever dying, and never stopping. I feel in sorrow, all I see is white. I’m following a blind way beneath a sad sky.

Offline Profbeanburrito

• Vampire Killer
  • Master Hunter
  • The Mask is a powerful device...
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
I would love to see Mercury Sream continue the series, and if not then a studio in the same style of MS. I do not want to see a return to Iga, or even a remotely anime style. Keep it detailed and gritty.
What a horrible night to have a curse!

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
So I think that you are talking about graphics, not gameplay, music or story. The majority of people that say bad things about LoS dont say nothing bad about the graphics, what they dislike are the new gameplay style and this version of the story.

So yes, Im with you, I would like if they make a detailed game like LoS but with different gameplay and story, with some classic musics.
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Reinhart77

• Courage, don't leave me now.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness (N64)
I'd like to think that Iga has had plenty of time to figure out what to do for a new Castlevania game and psyched for making it.  But if his era is really over, so be it.

Offline Bergaron

• Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow (PS3/X360)
"He who fights monsters should beware, lest he become a monster himself"

Offline Pfil

• How I miss the old days...
  • Master Hunter
  • Quit treating me like a child!
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin (NDS)
What I need the most is the music.
I liked everything about previous games (yes, anime style also). The exploration and completion of maps (even on the 3D entries of the saga), the leveling up, equipping armors, weapons, magic...
But what I really, REALLY MISS, and I mean, A LOT, is the music. Be it Michiru Yamane or other composer from previous games, which all did a wonderful soundtrack, or someone new doing the same style of music (I'm thinking right now of "Dusk Falls" by Jake Kaufman, from Bloodrayne, or some themes from Bayonetta, like "One of a kind").
Of course it's just my opinion, but I believe that Castlevania, without its characteristic music, is not Castlevania.
Just for making an example... Imagine an old school Megaman with Hollywood music...
Well, for me it's the same.
But it's not just the music, just for the record.
I don't want to buy combos, I want to buy new equipment, items, spells...
And I like female lead characters, which in this sort of game looks like never happens (but could be a possibility with WayForward or Platinum).
And I don't have anything against 2.5D gameplay, but at least to me, there's nothing like good old sprites, especially for portable games.
I wouldn't object a 3D game with realistic graphics, always if it has the atmosphere and look of Castlevania, but I need the rest of things I said.
All this I say with respect, of course, but it's just the way I feel.
I really, really lawn for a new Castlevania like those back in the old (and not so old) days.
Now I'm tired, eternally walking... forever dying, and never stopping. I feel in sorrow, all I see is white. I’m following a blind way beneath a sad sky.

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
Thanks Berg.
"My  head says no, my heart yes, my eyes and ears say Contra"
« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 12:17:57 AM by Lelygax »
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Munchy

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
If Cox does end up making a new Contra, I really hope it's not story focused and made by MercurySteam. It will run at 5 FPS.

Offline Maedhros

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
It'll also have a cover system, which he'll say that it doesn't.

Offline Rudolph LagnaGaisaer

• Dragon Slayer.
  • Hunter in Training
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Circle of the Moon (GBA)
well guy´s the discontinuation of  dave cox about the castlevania series is not basically because money or fame is all about creativity. try to ask yourself: how i can make something good if i have no ideas to make it ? return to the black eras of the old castlevanias before IGA and think: why the programmers do not continued making the CV Games ? because Konami refused to pay or whatever?. i say : no, because theirs ideas have reached the limit. a game is not made only by graphic´s or sound effect´s you must look to the people that make it.  when you start to put this idea on your mind you will take the reboots, changes on music´s and a probably(praying for this not be true)  end of a game series very better.

Offline darkwzrd4

• All Powerful Spellcaster
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
Honestly, I think MS should politely bow out and hand the reins over to a either Konami or some other studio. In either case, I doubt that anyone will go back to the old timeline. I also wouldn't mind see someone else creating their vision of what CV is.

If there is another reboot, let's just hope that it's closer to the source material than LoS was.
Behold my power and tremble

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
For me the LOS trilogy is Dave's vision of Castlevania.
I would agree that MS should hand over Castlevania to another studio and see their interpretation of the franchise.

Offline Successor The Cruel

• In brightest day, in blackest night, no evil shall escape my sight. Let those who worship evil's might...
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Beware my Power! Green Lantern's Light!
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Chapel of Resonance
    • Awards
I would like to see another studio and producer take over Castlevania ASAP! I'm not a fan of the Lords of Shadow reboot and would really love to see old Castlevania come back. And just so there is no confusion, that doesn't solely mean IGA Castlevania. I would like to see CV done by Japanese people again, or people who have a firm grasp and understanding of the style of the Japanese Castlevania games, as well as an appreciation for that style.

Everytime I've seen Castlevania done by westerners, I haven't liked it, and it's always seemed off and weird (and/or just bad), in an unflattering way. As if the developers sort of didn't understand CV or missed the point.

The Belmont Legacy.
Lords of Shadow.
Desmond Belmont.
Resurrection...
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 12:51:42 AM by Successor The Cruel »

Offline GuyStarwind

• Lawful Good
  • Master Hunter
  • Shahrukh Khan is the greatest actor out there
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Crappy Brown Jacket Films
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
I just want the guys who do the Souls games to make Castlevania.

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
Yknow what CV needs? An infinite Crisis deal. All possible timelines converge for one big showdown, and in the end, the timeline is reset or simplified/streamlined.

That wouldn't solve anything though. I just think it'd be neat. Could even bring back Aeon, St. Germain, Galamoth, the reaper guy from Judgement who's name escapes me...
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Tags: