Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: News: Dave Cox about continuing LoS after 2: My head says no, my heart yes  (Read 56663 times)

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
Hideo Kojima is responsible for convincing Konami to turn MS project in a new Castlevania, he is not responsible for what happens after that. Its okay to share opinions here, thats why the forum exists after all. How you express your opinion is that makes the difference.

Pfil didn't do anything wrong, she said what she thinks, but some users misinterpreted or simply doesnt thinks the same, she explained that its her own opinion and why AGAIN and AGAIN they tried to continue saying that her opinion is invalid or wrong. Atleast that is what Im seeing here.

You should express more your opinions too, thats what maintain the forum alive when we dont receive any news, but you are right that its better if we all calm down.
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Pfil

• How I miss the old days...
  • Master Hunter
  • Quit treating me like a child!
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin (NDS)
Exactly, I was always respectful, and I always stated that it was my opinion what I was expressing.
It must be because of something that so far I only have this little argument with a single user and, apart from that, I'm having a really good time with everybody else on this forum.
Check some posts ago, to see who started attacking, and speaking with condescending attitude.
I don't like to create conflict, but if someone attacks my points of view I will stand for them.
And as Lelygax said, this is a place for expressing ourselves.

I've been a reader of this forum for some years now, way before I decided to create an account, so this doesn't come as a surprise for me.
And I must admit that when I saw how this discussion started, I saw the rest of it coming. I've already seen all this more than once.
As I said, I've been reading this forum for a long time.

Castlevania is a very big part of my life, and I will stand for it. With respect, but I will defend what I think it's best for the saga.
But if this argument is annoying other users, well, the discussion on this thread ends here.
It's not worth it, when you think there's just 1 person who contradicts everything I stand for.
Sorry to Jorge and everyone else if any of you think I created trouble.
Now I'm tired, eternally walking... forever dying, and never stopping. I feel in sorrow, all I see is white. I’m following a blind way beneath a sad sky.

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
Pfil, I can't send PMs to you, why?
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Laina

• F.A.N.G. stands for “fucking awful, not great”, babe - me to UZO on SFV
  • RetroDungeonite
  • Legendary Hunter
  • 大丈夫だよ!
  • Awards Lurker: Spies on from afar, rarely interacting with the general populace. Seeks to keep games/fandoms free of any changes they deem Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
My God...these last few posts have come from a place of understanding, and...and...humanity. They...made sense too...THEY MADE SENSE. Hark, what is that sound? It sounds as if many children are weeping, at a great distance...oh, it's just the fabric of existence being torn asunder.
Groove is in the heart.

Offline Sumac

• Legendary Hunter
  • Logic dominates. Fools must be controlled.
  • Awards The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
Japanese never tried to be "oh so serious and oh so epic", and humour attempts worked, at least with me. MS attempts at humour, like Chupacabras and Hunchbacks, lack the elegance and beauty of Castlevania. And please spare me your next pics of examples, we will never agree, I always liked everything from Castlevania, or at least never disliked something, until MS arrived.
I don't see nothing elegant and beautiful about chair collecting, clowns and cream pies as subweapons. If anything, those and some other things are examples of lack of moderation and attempts to inject some odd, of the wall humor in the series, that never was overtly funny to begin with. Also, such strong separation "Everything Japanese CV = good, everything MS CV = bad" is rather wrong in my opinion.

What I expect is to never again see another game like the LoS series and to see again more MetroidVanias and ClassicVanias as it always should have been.
You already have it - LOS is classicvania in 3D, and MOF is a hybrid of classicvania, metroidvania and LOS style.

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
LOS is classicvania in 3D,
Not really.

and MOF is a hybrid of classicvania, metroidvania and LOS style.
You forgot "God of War" style (which i don't necessarily consider a bad thing really, since I like GoW, but button-sequence-mashing to do certain tasks, the succubus encounter was ENTIRELY GoW-inspired, all it was missing was the sex part, among other subtle things here n there). But you'd have to be in serious denial to not see it's derivative nature.

Offline Maedhros

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
LoS is God of War with Castlevania elements. This will hold true 'till the end of times.

Just like Tomb Raider is Uncharted with Tomb Raider elements.

Both new games were somewhat inspired by the old games and got the template "copied" instead. With their own differences, of course.

I don't really think LoS resembles ANY Castlevania game, at all.

Offline thernz

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
This IS Castlevania, even the music is better.
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Rudolph LagnaGaisaer

• Dragon Slayer.
  • Hunter in Training
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Circle of the Moon (GBA)
Hideo Kojima is responsible for convincing Konami to turn MS project in a new Castlevania, he is not responsible for what happens after that. Its okay to share opinions here, thats why the forum exists after all. How you express your opinion is that makes the difference.
Pfil didn't do anything wrong, she said what she thinks, but some users misinterpreted or simply doesnt thinks the same, she explained that its her own opinion and why AGAIN and AGAIN they tried to continue saying that her opinion is invalid or wrong. Atleast that is what Im seeing here.
You should express more your opinions too, thats what maintain the forum alive when we dont receive any news, but you are right that its better if we all calm down.

#1 - so by the logic of the universe.he is directly responsible by all thing´s that happen to ''Castlevania'' from this point.

#2 - i´m with you. why people insist in be so foolishly blind and don´t accept the truth ?

#3 - if i express 1/3 of my opinion about LoS and Dave ''Emotional Instability'' Cox... well better not think on this.

LOS is classicvania 3D ?
Lament of innocence is the only Classicvania 3D  experience that i felt. LordofMayofwaroflighthoodVania Don´t count as one. 

Offline Sumac

• Legendary Hunter
  • Logic dominates. Fools must be controlled.
  • Awards The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
#2 - i´m with you. why people insist in be so foolishly blind and don´t accept the truth ?
If I said something like that, calling people who don't agree with me "blind fools", I would have a moderator on my neck almost instantly. Just saying. ;D
Please, no need to be rude with people who don't agree with you. I and Pfil had calm discussion.  :D

Lament of innocence is the only Classicvania 3D  experience that i felt. LordofMayofwaroflighthoodVania Don´t count as one.
I felt different. ;)

Not really.
Well, modern interpretation of the classicvania style.  :)

You forgot "God of War" style
I don't count unrelated games as part of the Castlevania style. Yes, it maybe borrowed something from GOW, but style is Castlevaniash enough for me.
By that margin everytime, when somebody say, that Symphony of the Night is a true Castlevania, there always should be an addition: "you forgot about Metroid style".  ;)

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
Well, modern interpretation of the classicvania style.
Still no. While it retains certain elements of a select few "classicvania" parts, it's still derives a large chunk of it's gameplay/stage layout/music/aesthetic from other games that aren't Castlevania. Cox admitted all that was done for the purpose to appeal to a more general, Westernized audience, since those games LoS copiedborrowed from were highly praised at the time. Cox attempted to justify this by saying "all those things belonged to Castlevania first, so we're just taking them back!" Which is a highly debatable topic all it's own.

I don't count unrelated games as part of the Castlevania style. Yes, it maybe borrowed something from GOW, but style is Castlevaniash enough for me.
By that margin everytime, when somebody say, that Symphony of the Night is a true Castlevania, there always should be an addition: "you forgot about Metroid style".
It borrowed a lot more than just "something" from GoW, as well as other series. Extensive combos were never part of classicvania, neither was wall-shimmying & glowing objects. Lookng back, at this point there's no arguing that Lords of Shadow as a whole was nothing more than a mash-up of God of War, Shadow of the Collosus, Prince of Persia, and a bit of Super Castlevania IV (I believe Cox even cited Street Fighter as an inspiration for the combat). Whether an individual sees this approach as a good or bad thing for the series is up to them. Of course they switched things around a bit so it's not as obvious at first glance, but as the months & years went by, people began to see the heavy influences. I enjoyed LoS for what it was, and because I love action games, but I think it definately tried too hard to "upstage the competition" with the "we can do what you guys did, but better!" mentality, as opposed to creating unique gameplay ideas all their own while still maintaining the Castlevania feel (although I did enjoy the Light/Shadow magic system). That image posted in the MoF thread is a prime example on how LoS is, as opposed to how it should've been, thus disproving the "LoS is classicvania in 3D" remark:
(click to show/hide)

Offline VladCT

• Dark Lord of Wallachia
  • Master Hunter
  • The night is still young...
  • Awards 2015-01-Sprite Contest Gold Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
You know what? Screw all you guys, I'm sticking with Serio's Castlevania Fighter. :P
It is precisely because it never cared, that people do care.  It's something which it's lacking, because that which it has, it has lackluster of.
^^
You are now reading this in Robert Belgrade's voice.

Then Lords of Shadow 2 just takes a big, semi-solid, smelly, pea-green dump all over everything.

Offline e105beta

• Shafted
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2015-03-Sprite Contest 3rd Place The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate (N3DS)
This whole "what is Castlevania" argument has gotten so incredibly old it's senile.

"Castlevania" is whatever Konami releases with the title "Castlevania" on it. It's an arbitrary concept that means little beyond basic theming, which is why Castlevania Pachislot exists, and why IGN's review (the content not the score) is total bunk.

Claiming that what's wrong with every game that comes out that you don't like is because it's not "Castlevania" enough is pointless. Konami doesn't care about what anybody thinks is "Castlevania" besides their own, at least not beyond it's capability to sell copies, and they certainly won't go completely against their business interests just to make a game to sell to an increasingly niche group because it's apparently "more Castlevania".

Instead, how about instead of discussing what's ripped, what's not, which musician each of us likes better, and what country we think is cooler, how about we talk about what's in the game and the merits and demerits of it regardless of who made it and where it came from? Wouldn't that be something?

And for everyone who really want's the Castlevania of yesteryear back, hope the LoS games tank hard and that Konami comes to the conclusion that the series isn't worth dropping all together.

Castlevania Quest Horror -Play Movie-

That's super neat. The fish eye thing makes it look kind of like the mysterious Sonic X-Treme

Sonic Xtreme Crystal Frost
« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 06:16:09 PM by e105beta »

Offline VladCT

• Dark Lord of Wallachia
  • Master Hunter
  • The night is still young...
  • Awards 2015-01-Sprite Contest Gold Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
Eh, you might as well give up and walk away, they ain't gonna stop arguing even when the cows go home or it's time for Jorge to take his beauty sleep.
It is precisely because it never cared, that people do care.  It's something which it's lacking, because that which it has, it has lackluster of.
^^
You are now reading this in Robert Belgrade's voice.

Then Lords of Shadow 2 just takes a big, semi-solid, smelly, pea-green dump all over everything.

Tags: