Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: You now have Castlevania in your hands... What would you do?  (Read 9925 times)

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
Re: You now have Castlevania in your hands... What would you do?
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2013, 09:03:55 PM »
+1
And I thought the topic was about having the actual Castle. :C

I unno. Never considered. heavy gothic atmosphere, high quality console game I s'ppose. Maybe not so much like LoS combat, but more combo oriented. I hate to be the guy who says ArkhamAsylum/City, but that kind of freeflowing combat was nice, now imagine it with something like a whip.
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline Belmontoya

• Composer/ Voice Actor
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-09-Sprite Contest 3rd Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2013, 09:10:11 PM »
+1
Conceptually I would do what I am doing, only with a budget and a larger team.

The worst monsters are human.

Offline Kingshango

• Crisis's retired back up dancer.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2013, 11:41:06 PM »
+1
Fake answer:

Take it, put it in a vault and lock it, take the entire vault in the middle of the ocean then dump it, so that no one touches Castlevania ever again in the hopes that no one messes with it.

Real answer:

Basically OoE X100 with pitfall deaths, a lead Belmont going against Dracula, no origins, no backstory to give him character, he the just the leader of the creatures of the night, nothing more. Along with some catchy tunes and a enormous castle the size of a city with secrets everywhere and a cast of monsters from every lore known. And no ties to the timeline, just a single standalone game, one and done no sequel.

BAM there ya go.

Offline A-Yty

• Your beloved monster
  • Master Hunter
  • Floating Catacomb janitor
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Linnavaanijat
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2013, 04:59:50 AM »
I've wondered this often. My goal would be to conclude the timeline and reboot it. Clarify the events, give the characters more room and depth.

I'd do this with the games I've rambled about on several occasions.

- Remake of Simon's Quest

- A game about a pre-Dracula Mathias (after LoI, before DC)

Depicts the rising conflict between Mathias's ideology with vampire hunters, other vampires and demons. This was before he became the supreme vampire. Possibly a cameo by Leon.

- A game about a pre-do-gooder Alucard (before DC)

Sheds some light into Alucard's past and the castle itself. Possibly sandbox, maybe featuring Sonia.

- Demon Castle Wars (1999, obviously)

It's on, baby. Single-player campaigns with various characters are a must (I'm thinking lot's of scattered people inside the castle).

- The final game in the timeline (set in different eras, various characters; Dracula and some Belmonts most certainly)

Well, it's obvious Dracula's story didn't end completely with DoS. Not necessarily saying this would have anything to do with Soma, however.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 05:01:40 AM by A-Yty »

Offline chainsawmidget

• that guy
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2013, 08:30:59 AM »
There's a lot of things I'd do, but for starts...

If I'm going to have Metroidvania's then they're going to be more like Metroid.  That means you're not gaining levels.  You want more Life, you find the hidden item that gives you more life.  No shops.  No cure potions you can carry around, No 19 million different weapons.  You're going to get somewhere between five and ten different weapons and you're going to have to make that work. 

Also, they're not going to be entirely set inside Dracula's Castle.  I always thought that was kinda dumb.  You'd think Dracula would do something about the vampire killer who gets lost and wanders around his living room for the five days. 

Storywise, you want to know who makes a good Dracula?  Dracula.  None of that "well, this guy is Really Dracula," stuff.  The real Dracula is DRACULA.  With that in mind, I might make a few games that don't even include Dracula himself.  He can't be the only major A-list vampire lord in the world. 

Also, the 100 years thing has got to go.  Maybe make it so that ever 100 Years the Lord of the Vampires (which is a title that Dracula currently holds) is at the peak of his power and comes back regardless, but otherwise, Dracula can be revived in other ways.  Hey, it worked for the old Christopher Lee movies and Marvel comics series. 

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2013, 08:54:28 AM »
I agree with you in various aspects.

Also, the 100 years thing has got to go.  Maybe make it so that ever 100 Years the Lord of the Vampires (which is a title that Dracula currently holds) is at the peak of his power and comes back regardless, but otherwise, Dracula can be revived in other ways.  Hey, it worked for the old Christopher Lee movies and Marvel comics series.

Its already this way since SOTN, they can revive him but he will be more weak, also it seems that some rituals can bring his full power back. It seems that its impossible to prevent his revival at the 100th year, its almost like a birthday party that no one can avoid lol
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline DragonSlayr81

• The Beast Inside
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2013, 09:30:32 AM »
I always fantasized what I'd do if I was the "God of Gaming" and companies came to me for advice on what to do with their franchise(or I just plain ORDER them to do things). I have some interesting ideas regarding Super Mario and Final Fantasy, but for CV:

- Return to the classic canon.
- First, create a side-scroller Metroidvania that is the TRUE successor to SotN. I like all the other castletroids, but I feel they never actually came close to touch SotN as far as quality was concerned. (I actually came up with this idea in high school and drew some old notebook maps regarding the layout of the castle). The game would be for all major consoles, PC and mobile devices.
- Create a 3D CV that actually pulls together the strengths of ALL previous 3D CVs, but non-of the weaknesses. A 3D action platformer with REAL platforms(no shimmying or wall-climbing), lots of vertical areas, classic CV motifs(artistic designs and music), mood and such. (I'd set this one after SotN and radio drama, and use it to explain how SPECIFICALLY the Belmonts lost the power of the whip... I know years ago I actually wrote the plot down in the fanfic section)
- I'd actually create a game based off my story of two brother Belmonts(I wrote about it in fanfics too) that takes place before CV, introduces Elizabeth Bartley as the MAIN villain as well as the power struggle between both brothers to become the wielder of the Vampire Killer. It would be a 3D action platformer along the lines of LoS(but with more platforming and less attack-sponge enemies), taking place the majority in the countryside as the story progresses, then finally the castle(which is built up of 5 stages, each with their own boss). It would also introduce the "Lords of the Mansions", Wallachian nobles who have a secret cult devoted to the following of Dracula(one of which being Lady Carmilla, the noblewoman of Laruba Mansion, both a nod to SC2 AND LoS).
- I'd make a game based off the Dracula novel events.
- I'd make a game set sometime in the 60s-80s(Cold War era) with a Morris hero(who would become Julius's mentor).
- Demon Castle War game, with IGA as consultant. I'd be there as "god" to make sure it goes RIGHT!
- Games set between LoI and CV3.... one of Mathias's travel into the underworld to gain his army and defeat their current leader, Galamoth. Another about Leon's descendants who are hunting "other" vampires(Olrox, in particular, who I'd make a more prominant villain in the series).
- Start a side-story that deals ONLY with the Morris clan's adventures throughout the world, battling ancient evils of Europe, Africa, the Americans and Asia(kinda Indiana Jones/Demon Hunters).
- Revival of Getsu Fūma Den and connect it, canon-wise, to the CV series. Establish it as the JAPANESE CV(similar style in gameplay, but with very Japanese oriented monsters, demons and spirits). Establish Ryu Kokki(Dragon Master) as IT'S "Dracula".
- Revival of Kid Dracula series. Make it a more kid-friendly CV with wacky humor. Explore 2D route(like 2D CVs as well as Mario games) and 3D route(something cool like a mix of 3D Mario with other more recent 3D platforming games like Ratchet & Clank and such).
- Be open for other timelines and canons existing along-side with the original. Maybe also establish a FF-esque side-project where each CV game in that series is a new take on the material, encouraging different teams to give their ideal vision of what CV is to them.

I would PURGE QTE from the series(completely), as well as the hit-sponge enemies(only the bigger, tougher enemies will take mutiple hits to go down). For the majority, shimmying and plank-walking will be purged, though climbing might exist depending on how I see fit. I hath SPOKEN!
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 09:54:44 AM by DragonSlayr81 »

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2013, 10:26:57 AM »
and use it to explain how SPECIFICALLY the Belmonts lost the power of the whip... I know years ago I actually wrote the plot down in the fanfic section)

- I'd make a game based off the Dracula novel events.
I would PURGE QTE from the series(completely), as well as the hit-sponge enemies(only the bigger, tougher enemies will take mutiple hits to go down). For the majority, shimmying and plank-walking will be purged, though climbing might exist depending on how I see fit. I hath SPOKEN!

I knew I had forgotten some things! I'd add these to my list too.  ;D
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline DarkPrinceAlucard

• The Dark Prince
  • Master Hunter
  • Your dark prince has arrived.
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Castle Modding
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2013, 12:13:56 PM »

*I would retcon CoD because it doesn't add anything substantial to the series. DoS is 50/50 but in the end I'd probably retcon it too. It does nothing new either.

well can't help but disagree with that "somewhat".

sure it did not add anything substantial to the series but one thing that I thought it added that really caught my attention was the whole time traveling organization that was introduced in this title.

Saint Germain in particular was a unique and interesting character in my eyes, especially with his supposed rivalry with Death that I would love to see fleshed out more.

His words to Death where "I will keep returning, until the day you finally surrender" leads me to think that the 2 will eventually clash again in the future (possible during the 1999 game which is hinted at by Saint Germain at the end of COD).

This all leads me to think that COD did introduce something to the story that was good in my opinion.

Castlevania Modding Forum http://castlevaniamodding.boards.net/

Offline The Puritan

• Vagabond
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2013, 08:17:59 PM »
My plan for the next several years if I became the new Iga/Cox:

-Continue Iga's FF-ish intent for Castlevania before Mercurysteam took over. Games will be mostly standalone titles set in their own universe, though I'll certainly revisit and continue the stories laid down in earlier ones.

-Assign development of 3D games to Japanese studios like Platinum Games and From Software. The former can adapt Castlevania to their MGR/Bayonetta crazy-awesomness (and probably star a non-Belmont hero) while the latter can make a CV along the lines of their Souls games (and star a Belmont hero).

-Assign development of 2D/2.5D games to Western studios like Wayforward and Chair Entertainment (Shadow Complex). The former could do a new Classicvania in a true return to the series' roots, followed by a teamwork game that's a cross between Dracula's Curse and The Lost Vikings. The latter could do a full-blown Metroidvania.

-Art will generally adhere to the Gothic style laid down by Ayami Kojima, but the artists will change with every game.

-Ditto for music.

-Amid all that, I'd aggressively pursue non-game Castlevania media like novels, more comics, and full-length CG movies ala FF Advent Children and Resident Evils Degeneration and Damnation.

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2013, 11:04:21 PM »
Warning : LONG POST AHEAD

I'd probably go the route of a few others and give Mathias a game featuring his descent (or would it be ascent?) into Chaos. Gameplay would most likely be along the lines of Legacy of Kain, but featuring such elements that Blood Omen and Defiance made note of, like blood-drinking to sustain one's health, and having vampiric abilities being more practical in use than mystic (such as Kain having better use of the Mist transformation to pass gateways when he can just as easily evade enemies in its stead).

It would probably feature elements of a full action RPG, such as Skyrim, but be sensible to the timeline; such as travelling to far corners of the world to become more adept in the Black Arts, rather than the implication that Dracula gained them all from Walter/over time. With each successive addition of Dark power, Mathias slowly gains a look, air, and "feel" of hatred and anger about him, subtly altering his mannerisms and movements to illustrate the change to Dracula and the subsequent loss of his humanity.

I would introduce a logical and expanded place for Galamoth and his role in the canon, and give him a part as a final boss or alternate final boss. The Church and all it entails would become prominent, fighting Dracula/Mathias during the Crusades and Dark Ages in a grand act of irony, as God and His agents are Mathias' chieftain enemy. This would also introduce the role of the Belnades as Sypha's ancestors, tying the future of Yoko and the Demon Castle Wars into the mix. Perhaps a hint or two of Dracula taking precautions to ensure his soul would remain even if his body was permanently destroyed? A Castlevanian Horcrux, mayhap? Being a genius tactician, considering and planning for the possibility of his ultimate downfall is very likely. Enchanting his very soul to go into respite, and split to multiple inheritors to ensure his survival is not a big stretch, especially when you've got Death on speed dial. Thus the Dark Lord Candidates and Soma become tied in nicely.

Also included will be journeys into the various Realms of Chaos, and how the Castle itself becomes a sort of living entity that changes over time, like its master. These changes will be justified as side effects of prolonged exposure to the entropic nature of Chaos' power, and thus a reflection of Dracula's soul at the various times of his resurrection. Same goes for the Castle. The "Creature of Chaos taking many incarnations" notion is now more logical.

Lisa and her connection to Elisabetha will be elaborated upon. Should she be her reincarnation, I would make it so that it was an act of the divine in an attempt to bring Dracula back to the light (after all, since God is written to have forgiven much worse than centuries of being called names and defied, it would only make sense that He would pity what Mathias has become and want to restore him to himself by returning his happiness to him how he could). Should she simply be a human woman with coincidental similarities in appearance and kind demeanor, it will be that Mathias' heart awoke within Dracula and rekindled the feelings for Elisabetha anew (since Dracula appears to lose situation memories over time, while the emotions of those memories remain strong), only to have that final tiny shred of humanity be shattered forever when she is burned at the stake.

Shaft will also be given an expanded backstory, as there would surely be one particular cult that would surpass the others in power and willingness of extent to serve Dracula. Shaft could be the leader of this cult, given extended superhuman lifespan due to his adeptness in the Dark Arts. Perhaps he could have a more personal reason to serve beyond "cleansing" the world in Chaos, such as suffering a similar fate as Mathias and taking a similar path in anger and pain. Perhaps he's just batshit nuts. Perhaps both.

Finally, Death's odd role would be made sensical. After all, how can the divine master of life's end truly "die?" My theory is that the form he takes is destroyed and his power and ability for combat and magic wane, while his eternal power of taking life when the sands are gone remains as constant as ever. The effects of the Crimson Stone's apparent power over him will be elaborated on; perhaps, with the Stone's power to completely take one's soul and assimilate that soul's abilities and prowess entirely to the Stone's owner, it has a connection with Death. Perhaps this was a stone created by the divine to balance the power that Death commands? After all, he could theoretically take the soul and life of almost anyone (God may or may not be excluded from this, as physical well-being and age-based immortality can still be ended when the soul leaves the body, but that's a whole different speculation that I will not touch on), so he would likely need a form of a controlling factor, or an equilibrium device of sorts, to prevent him from going rogue and killing everything. The Crimson Stone might contain the same power as the role of Death, but on a more limited scale to still give him the predominant niche.

tl;dr I'd try and tie ERRYTHANG together. Except Curse. That would be retconned to hell and back. jk CoD wasn't that bad

EDIT: Forgot a few notes. Since all of that obviously would span over the centuries, this game would be long as shit. A plus to that, is that you are Dracula in each of the canon games, fighting each generation of Belmonts as they come. Maybe you'd even get a sort of tactical strategy segment where you plan out where enemy waves will position and the like. Just a thought.

« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 11:27:05 PM by Dracula9 »

Trøllabundin eri eg, inn í hjartarót.

Offline Ahasverus

• Just a long slumber
  • Master Hunter
  • Wandering on horizon road
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2013, 11:10:22 PM »
+1
Hey, Dracula9

Everything comes full circle

Offline DragonSlayr81

• The Beast Inside
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2013, 11:17:37 PM »
well can't help but disagree with that "somewhat".

sure it did not add anything substantial to the series but one thing that I thought it added that really caught my attention was the whole time traveling organization that was introduced in this title.

Saint Germain in particular was a unique and interesting character in my eyes, especially with his supposed rivalry with Death that I would love to see fleshed out more.

His words to Death where "I will keep returning, until the day you finally surrender" leads me to think that the 2 will eventually clash again in the future (possible during the 1999 game which is hinted at by Saint Germain at the end of COD).

This all leads me to think that COD did introduce something to the story that was good in my opinion.
Curse of Darkness would be one of the CV games I'd actually remake, in a similar style to what Silver Star Story Complete is to the original Lunar: Silver Star(basically a visual upgrade, dungeons tweaked, added characters and bosses and expanded story). Aside from actually including varied level design and PLATFORMING, I'd also include the appearances of ALL the heroes from CV3, especially Grant(who Hector would run into in Cordova) and Alucard(who Hector sees asleep in his coffin). There are other ideas I'd include, which I'm sure I touched upon in another thread some time ago. A few ideas would be to split areas into smaller areas, add more bosses(especially in Dracula's Castle), as well as have Trevor Mode be it's own game with it's own story(that takes place DURING Hector's quest, with it's OWN unique boss fights).

I'd also remake Simon's Quest(an idea others have touched upon), and combine both CV Adventures games into one, "Castlevania Adventure Chronicles", basically one game split into two acts that follow Christopher's initial adventure(which will be modeled more after CVA Rebirth) and then Belmont's Revenge.

Offline A-Yty

• Your beloved monster
  • Master Hunter
  • Floating Catacomb janitor
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Linnavaanijat
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2013, 02:18:23 AM »
I wouldn't give God a direct role in Castlevania. I actually think LoI's interpretation of God was vastly superior to LoS. In LoS, he was basically nullified with a silly spell and was referred to as the cosmic puppet master who is either impotent or plays his stereotypical mystery games. In LoI, there is no telling what the Castlevania version of God is. It could not be anything personified.

I think Christian mysticism is more important to Castlevania than God himself.

Offline Odile Kuronuma

• I'm ze man errr.... woman
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2013, 08:13:13 AM »
Sidescroller. Hand-drawn. Millions of frames of lush animation. Hi-res. Painted backgrounds (I'm kinda thinking Vanillaware type stuff at this point.) Tits and asses everywhere. Some dicks too for good measure. Combination SOTN exploration with classic Castlevania pitfalls and jumps, reining it in closer to Simon's Quest only much bigger, more involved, explore inside and out the castle but make exteriors that don't feel like corridors (did anyone really feel like they were outside when playing OOE?). Story, don't care; just get some cool character designs. Memorable, hummable music with high production values. Probably cull a lot of imagery and stuff from Vampire Hunter D.

I just want what logically (w/sh)ould have been the next big 2D console game in the series after SOTN.
Your post made me think of this:
Dragon's Crown Walkthrough - Yellow Talisman - Castle of the Dead: Catacombs (Part 14)
Dragon's Crown Stage 5 Castle of the Dead: Catacombs Vampires Gameplay Walkthrough 1080p
Now try to imagine having pitfalls and platforming, along with Yamane's music and there you have a beautifully drawn 2D Castlevania.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 08:16:43 AM by Odile Kuronuma »

Tags:

anything