Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: You now have Castlevania in your hands... What would you do?  (Read 9903 times)

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
Re: You now have Castlevania in your hands... What would you do?
« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2013, 11:23:51 AM »
well can't help but disagree with that "somewhat".

sure it did not add anything substantial to the series but one thing that I thought it added that really caught my attention was the whole time traveling organization that was introduced in this title.

Saint Germain in particular was a unique and interesting character in my eyes, especially with his supposed rivalry with Death that I would love to see fleshed out more.

His words to Death where "I will keep returning, until the day you finally surrender" leads me to think that the 2 will eventually clash again in the future (possible during the 1999 game which is hinted at by Saint Germain at the end of COD).

This all leads me to think that COD did introduce something to the story that was good in my opinion.

This is mainly why I'd retcon CoD. The whole time travel thing is just so elusive and hardly ever there except for a few cut-scenes. This is one of those tid-bits that IGA does with his stories and doesn't really fleshes them out to their totality or full potential. A fault I've seen more then once in his CV games. I just feel that it was tacked on, and that it was unnecessary. If St. Germain was supposed to be a narrator of sorts for CoD's story then he obviously did not appear to be so. The Judgment game obviously touched more on the time travel organization then CoD ever had. But that game isn't even canon-related to the old canon. It's stand-alone and does it's own thing. I also personally feel that a time travel organization is not needed in Castlevania. The series is fine without it. Again this is only my opinion and how I feel about it. The only other reasons I'd recton CoD is due to Hector battling Dracula. No, just no. That's a Belmont's job. And there is of course issac...  :P
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2013, 12:17:15 PM »
I'd also include the appearances of ALL the heroes from CV3, especially Grant(who Hector would run into in Cordova) and Alucard(who Hector sees asleep in his coffin).

MGS2 HD Snake Sleep Talks
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2013, 04:03:57 PM »
I wouldn't give God a direct role in Castlevania. I actually think LoI's interpretation of God was vastly superior to LoS. In LoS, he was basically nullified with a silly spell and was referred to as the cosmic puppet master who is either impotent or plays his stereotypical mystery games. In LoI, there is no telling what the Castlevania version of God is. It could not be anything personified.

I think Christian mysticism is more important to Castlevania than God himself.

There's a reason I only mentioned God Himself a few times, and referred to "the divine" the rest of the time. That *might* be taken as a God allusion, but it wasn't outright meant to be Him. it was more meant as the ultimate force(s) of good rather than one of that force's prime figureheads.

Trøllabundin eri eg, inn í hjartarót.

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2013, 05:33:28 PM »
Why not call it powerful forces, like in SOTN prologue?

Meanwhile, powerful forces were struggling for the soul of a man named Alucard. The very same Alucard who had teamed up with Trevor Belmont to battle his immortal father, Count Vlad Tepes Dracula.
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline TheouAegis

• Amateur Auteur of GMvania
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • GMvania Developer's Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2013, 06:40:04 PM »
I'd budget 3 or 4 classicvanias and have them all released as part of a story-driven anthology.
Your mom has had more floppies put in her than a Commodore 64!

Follow my lack of progress on my game at my blog:
http://gmvania.blogspot.com

Offline Tuxedo Mark

• Vampire Hunter
  • I love Sonia Belmont.
    • My YouTube Channel
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Legends (GBC)
« Reply #35 on: August 14, 2013, 08:03:03 PM »
+1
1) Legends is officially back in.

2) Release a deluxe, lush, gorgeous 2-D remake/expansion of Legends that respects the original (all of the original levels and creatures are present) but also includes additional levels of what happens to Sonia before and between and allows her to use the subweapons that she finds. Console release. Gorgeous artbook and soundtrack album as extras. Include the original game as well.

3) Anthology collection - includes everything, even Saturn SOTN with the extra levels and Ninja Maria goodness.

Offline A-Yty

• Your beloved monster
  • Master Hunter
  • Floating Catacomb janitor
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Linnavaanijat
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: August 14, 2013, 11:20:25 PM »
There's a reason I only mentioned God Himself a few times, and referred to "the divine" the rest of the time. That *might* be taken as a God allusion, but it wasn't outright meant to be Him. it was more meant as the ultimate force(s) of good rather than one of that force's prime figureheads.

Tis' cool, I understood what you meant. It was just a general commentary on what I think about God in Castlevania. The LoS interpretation of God is definitely not my cup of tea.

Offline KaZudra

• Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-04-Story Contest - 2nd Place Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #37 on: August 15, 2013, 05:16:35 AM »
a 3Dvania with great art direction and made by Rocksteady?

"I ain't gonna let it get to me I'm just gonna let it get to me" -Knuckles

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: August 15, 2013, 09:09:27 AM »
A game set in the world of Akuma no Chi that expands and continues the story. The plot and dialogue would be written by author Ichiro Tezuka and the artwork by Masaki Takahashi. The game would be designed similar to Demon's Souls and set in a seemless open world which would be medieval Wallachia. The game would star the four Belmont characters from the story: Simon, Ray, Lias, and Civil, making the narrative switch between their view points. It would be more dark than usual in order to fit a vampire story. Not purely gritty and dark like Lords but also elegant. Being based on a novel, the game would be more plot heavy than your average Castlevania game.

Other things I would do: introduce Kid Dracula as a mascot character who often makes cameos, a Castlevania RPG, try to get a solid fighting game spin-off series off the ground, and a game with a more stylized art direction similar to Ghostrick Alucard or the Vampire Karin anime.

Tags:

anything