Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: If Castlevania had a Sci-Fi setting instead of it's usual Fantasy setting?  (Read 11696 times)

Offline The_Bizarre_Tr00per

• Ruler of Nosgoth
  • Vae Victus - suffering to the conquered.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania 64 (N64)
Re: If Castlevania had a Sci-Fi setting instead of it's usual Fantasy setting?
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2017, 11:10:09 PM »
Vampire Hunter D?

Oh yeah, i almost forgot that Vampire Hunter D was set in the future XD
Given the choice - whether to rule a corrupt and failing empire or to challenge the Fates for another throw, a better throw, against one's destiny - what was a king to do? But does one ever truly have a choice?  One can only match, move by move, the machinations of Fate, and thus defy the tyrannous stars.

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2017, 07:52:05 AM »
Ignoring the obvious fact that is an Alternate Universe
(click to show/hide)
and in my opinion they kinda took the spotlight from the magic and fantasy elements, something important in a Castlevania title to me.
I personally like the Sci-Fi elements, but restricted to sections like Frankenstein's laboratories, in the same way Clock Punk is usually rectricted to the Castle's Clocktower, allowing the game to have more variety.
Now that you mention it, LoS did have a fair amount of sci fi to it. I liked that they went with this sort of demonic sci-fi route, bio engineered virus that turned people into demons and shit, though it's just too bad that it was all sort of half baked.

if Castlevania was scifi, I'd say take a look at Doom for another example of sci-fi with demons and shit.
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline VladOfWallachia

• Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Carpathian Night
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2017, 10:59:21 AM »
I never got around to playing Lords of Shadow 2, one of the reasons being that when I first saw the trailer, I really disliked all of the sci-fi elements I was seeing. I was expecting the traditional haunting atmosphere of the Castlevania games, and instead I was watching footage of some futuristic lab and killer robots.

The atmosphere and setting of the Castlevania games has always been a fundamental part of the experience for me, so I would't want to see it switch over to sci-fi.

Offline BLOOD MONKEY

• rrrrrrrrrrrrr
  • Master Hunter
  • BEWARE, I LIVE
  • Awards May 2017 Sprite Contest Second Place 2015-02-Sprite Contest 1st Place
    • twitter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
UPON THE COMPLETION OF ITS STATEMENT, THE BLOOD MONKEY LEAPS TOWARDS YOU, BARING TEETH. IT IS TOO LATE FOR YOU.

Offline Guy Belmont

• Vampire Hunter
  • Master Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2017, 03:26:18 PM »
Wrote about this way back, but was with spaceships instead. It was a cringe moment in my life that I'm not really ashamed of :P

I think this is F**** Cool
Last son of family Belmont.

https://thebelmonthold.home.blog/

Offline The_Bizarre_Tr00per

• Ruler of Nosgoth
  • Vae Victus - suffering to the conquered.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania 64 (N64)
Given the choice - whether to rule a corrupt and failing empire or to challenge the Fates for another throw, a better throw, against one's destiny - what was a king to do? But does one ever truly have a choice?  One can only match, move by move, the machinations of Fate, and thus defy the tyrannous stars.

Tags:

anything