Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Net Neutrality 2017 and how you guys (USA) done fu*ed it up  (Read 4413 times)

Offline Bengr Hausve

• Hunter in Training
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
Net Neutrality 2017 and how you guys (USA) done fu*ed it up
« on: December 14, 2017, 02:31:37 PM »
The rest of the west will unfortunately ape you.  :(

http://thathashtagshow.com/2017/12/fcc-just-killed-net-neutrality-history-fallout-can/

WINNAR:
« Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 02:38:23 PM by Bengr Hausve »

Offline VladCT

• Dark Lord of Wallachia
  • Master Hunter
  • The night is still young...
  • Awards 2015-01-Sprite Contest Gold Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
Re: Net Neutrality 2017 and how you guys (USA) done fu*ed it up
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2017, 03:24:53 PM »
From what I've heard they still have to defend it in the appeal court, so don't panic just yet.
It is precisely because it never cared, that people do care.  It's something which it's lacking, because that which it has, it has lackluster of.
^^
You are now reading this in Robert Belgrade's voice.

Then Lords of Shadow 2 just takes a big, semi-solid, smelly, pea-green dump all over everything.

Offline Gunlord

• Wandering Mendicant
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Meow.
  • Awards Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • My blog
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2017, 08:25:33 PM »
I hear a buncha states are already suing ;o

Check me out at gunlord500.wordpress.com!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phhCrFZek44

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2017, 07:33:23 PM »
I've heard the net neutrality law was really shady in the first place. And it was only enacted because Verizon won a lawsuit against the US Govt, that stated the US did not have the right to regulate ISP's the way they were doing, unless they classified the Internet as a public utility.

And the problem here, is that basically, at the end of the day, after jumping through all the legal loopholes, it left the US Govt with the authority to censor and control content on the internet, under the security laws that govern in-country propaganda and counter-information. (if it's a public utility, it's "publicly" regulated and controlled at the federal level)

We had net neutrality before any laws existed, it was a general standard. We didn't need a law to enforce it. Now you can argue that isp's these days dont care about principles and standards like they used to, and I'd agree. But Comcast is gonna Comcast, regardless of any laws. And simply adding a federal oversight to ISP operations is a very dangerous thing to start, and can lead to abuse easily.

We'll see how this all plays out, but I doubt we'll see any major changes.

People were afraid of ISP's suddenly creating cable-like packages of websites, but that is a stupid notion. The internet is much bigger than TV, which has a fixed number of networks, and was already started under the specific structure it operates under. (same for cable)

You could make packages out of larger websites like amazon or reddit, but they don't make up all of the internet. and there's also the matter that the internet is now the premier method of conducting commerce. Which throws a monkeywrench into that theory too. there's tons of smaller independent shops that are not Amazon or Ebay.

It isn't realistic to think we'd see tiered internet cable style packages.
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Tags: