Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Metroid: Samus returns  (Read 13847 times)

Offline Highwind Dragoon

• Legendary Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania.
    • Awards
« on: September 14, 2017, 01:00:33 PM »
https://youtu.be/UhOx-FpEAQk

I already have it pre-installed, just have to get the update at midnight to play it.

Are you getting it?

Offline Jazz Paladin Productions

• Vampire Hunter
  • I was summoned here to pay tribute
    • Jazz Paladin On Facebook
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2017, 08:00:09 AM »
No. Played the original when it came out, and am ok leaving it with that.

I'd be a little more receptive with traditional sprites, to tell the truth. As in with the SoM remake, I am so sick of ugly low-res 2.5 remakes, games from this era lose a bit of their soul for me when they undergo this type of conversion.
Jazzyvania: Symphonies of the Knight now available on CD/ Digital platforms! Groove on!

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2017, 09:56:50 AM »
I'd be a little more receptive with traditional sprites, to tell the truth. As in with the SoM remake, I am so sick of ugly low-res 2.5 remakes, games from this era lose a bit of their soul for me when they undergo this type of conversion.

I can agree with this too. Plus it is being handled by Mercurysteam so that kinda has me worried there as well. I'll be watching play-throughs before I make any rash decisions about buying this title. And it looks like Nintendo is still forking over their use of Metroid: OM's Samus rather then the traditional heroine we all know and love.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline theANdROId

• Master Hunter
  • Raiding the Castle's Treasure Room...
  • Awards 2014-12-FoodItem Sprite Contest 3rd Place Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness (N64)
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2017, 06:45:24 PM »
My wife pre-ordered this for me for my birthday.  I just have to wait until then to receive it an play it.

I only know because this is one of the few instances where it was a title I *really* wanted, and I didn't want to chance it selling out for awhile and not getting it.  I guess because it was part of my family's rules growing up, I'm still supposed adhere to the rule of not buying myself presents within a month of my birthday. :-/  (This really came about mostly because of my dad who wants very little, and when you finally find something he wants or likes, he just buys it himself and you are out of ideas.)  I think it's silly, not only because it was more for my dad, but also because there's always something video game related that I would want, plus other stuff in general.  Anyway, I at least have it.  I kinda hope it's the collector's edition, but I can't imagine my wife spending an extra $10 on that. :-P

Offline zangetsu468

• Master Hunter
  • God bless the hustler, curse the first sleeper
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2017, 11:52:49 PM »
I was initially worried due to MoF sucking goat balls. But this has taken my interest and I've pre-ordered a physical copy. It will be the last 3ds game I buy, probably also the last portable game/ console with the exemption of the Switch.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<[Judgement]>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

**<<<<<SuperCVIV>COTM<<<<<<<<+
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^
                                 ^      l   v  ^    +<<<<<<<BE
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^  
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     BE>>> VK<**   
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     ^          ^   
            +<<<<<Legends>HC>OOS>LOD>64       ^
            v                           l              ^                ^
            v                           l     BE>> * <<<BE    RE
            v                           l      ^               ^       ^
LOI>CVIII>COD>AR>BR>CVC>CVII>HOD>ROB>SOTN>OOE>BL>POR>AOS>DOS>>>KD
                                                                          v
                                                                         BE>*  
BE=Bad Ending
RE=Richter Ending

Offline Eric Roman

• Arima Red
  • Vampire Hunter
  • THE RISE that Eric Roman has sent
    • EricTJRoman.com
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2017, 11:01:12 AM »
They kiiinda pulled a Lords of Shadow/EVA 2.0/Star Trek [2009]/Maverick Hunter X on Metroid II!  Cute, but I'd prefer SotN-quality 2D.   

Offline knightmere

• Lord of The Abyss
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2017, 07:10:44 AM »
This game is actually pretty good and I fucking hated the lords of shadow sub series.

Offline PFG9000

• No, not the gun
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Fan of all things Floyd
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2017, 01:34:12 PM »
I assumed it would come nowhere close to AM2R, but I'm surprised to say it's actually not too far behind.  I'm only maybe 30% through the game, but I've been pretty happy with it so far.  I'm a little let down by the music.  I'd prefer more melodic and original tunes, but the music is pretty atmospheric, so I can tolerate it.  I'd also like to see more variation in the area themes.  So far prettymuch every area looks the same.

I would prefer 2D sprites too.  When I saw the previews, I thought the graphics were ugly.  But it looks quite good on the 3DS.  I also picked up the new Samus-edition 3DS, which is my first "New 3DS," and I really like it.  The 3D is so much better now that you don't have to keep your head in the sweet spot the whole time, and it's nice to get some SNES games on it.  Though my DS could emulate the SNES years ago, so I don't know why the original 3DS couldn't support SNES games in the Virtual Console shop.

Offline Batandy

• Quid Est Homo? Secretarum Pila Miserabilis
  • Hunter in Training
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2017, 02:48:52 AM »
I can agree with this too. Plus it is being handled by Mercurysteam so that kinda has me worried there as well. I'll be watching play-throughs before I make any rash decisions about buying this title. And it looks like Nintendo is still forking over their use of Metroid: OM's Samus rather then the traditional heroine we all know and love.

This is not true, they totally dropped Samus' design from that game (except for the zero suit's heels, ugh), she's back to her valkyrie-like height and body shape seen in Super Metroid.

The power suit is also bulkier and makes the OM suit look like an action figure.

I'm really satisfied with this game, i wasn't too impressed with the graphics in the trailer, but they are actually quite good when seen on an actual 3DS, the 3D effect is also really good (which is really unexpected considering that most of the 3DS games dropped it at this point).
The gameplay is very similiar to the other Metroid games, but it's also really unusual because enemies are way more aggressive and deal more damage than expected. You get more missiles compared to other Metroid games, but they are less effective on common enemies. Melee counter feels good, and it's actually quite challenging to get it right, especially later on when there are multiple enemies attacking you. The only thing i don't like is the wall jump, which feels more like an auto-jump and it's stiff compared to Zero Mission's.
Map layout is great, it's not as linear as Zero Mission or Fusion, but it's not completely open like Super Metroid. You've got these big areas where you must kill all the Metroids, and you can't go to the next area until you get all the Metroid DNA from the area you're currently in, it's really easy to get lost not know where to go, even with the map scanning ability or the Chozo gate showing on the map the next metroid you should go kill (both of these are optional).
I understand that you might have some doubts about Mercysteam because of their 2d Castlevania, but trust me, they made a real masterpiece this time, it's the Metroid game the fans really needed after all these years of nothing.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2017, 10:48:02 AM »
Now THAT looks more like the Samus we know and love! Although she could use a just a little more muscle definition on her arms, but her legs look good though.

I understand that you might have some doubts about Mercysteam because of their 2d Castlevania, but trust me, they made a real masterpiece this time, it's the Metroid game the fans really needed after all these years of nothing.

I never did play MoF or LoS2, I only ever tried the first game and was seriously let down by it. Mercurysteam has a a lot to make up for it, but so far that is looking to be possible. So long as they don't stray from the path as they did with Castlevania.
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Highwind Dragoon

• Legendary Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania.
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2017, 09:05:00 PM »
I encountered a glitch in area 3 that allowed me to bypass power bomb blocks and trapped me in.

....And I made good progress, too!  >:( >:( >:(

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2017, 11:26:07 PM »
Ouch. Guess the testers missed that one  :-\

Offline Highwind Dragoon

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2017, 06:39:06 AM »
Yeah, it happened when I was using spider ball and used several bombs on the spot.

Rolled right between the block and the wall.

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2017, 06:15:26 PM »
+1
So this game is FUCKING GREAT.
It's got the right amount of challenge and it's also got that "Just a little further... just ONE more room!" kinda thing!
They've got good enemy placement where you won't get too far before you get punished for it.  In addition, they've added those "SLIME WALLS" that stop the Spiderball/walljump (smart).

I am having a blast with this so far.  I'm on Area 3 or 4. Haven't looked.  Too entranced.

Some little qualms but super super little:
-The rehashing of stuff from other games (the Super Metroid death stuff, the sound effects from the SNES stuff, Lower Norfair/Magmoor Caverns music for 'Hot Zones').  It's OK, but it didn't need to be so close to Super Metroid/Prime stuff.  I mean, it's not 'exactly' the same, but it's similar enough where I wish it could've been slightly different.
-Timing is super-perfect for some spots, where I get mad at not having D-PAD control.  I get to a spot before the block regenerates but Ohhhh no I'm slightly behind due to controller issues.  I mean, it's OK, but it reminds me of old Metroid Fusion "you just missed your window" nonsense.  Also, I wish I could use the D-pad to Navigate and the Analog to switch AEION powers.  I want precision control, goddamnit!
-I LOVE COUNTERING.  It's probably the best thing out of this.  In the original, if I got hit by a dash attack I usually just had to 'take it like a man'.  At least in this came I can punish the attack if I see it coming, then BLAMMO take some shots to the face, asshole enemy!

So yeah, game is great.  Totally don't see any lingering Mirror of Fate shenanigans, thankfully. 
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2017, 10:34:57 PM »
I picked this up earlier today -and yes- I am enjoying it. Nintendo must have been supervising Mercurysteam for this title as they did with Team Ninja in Other M as I'm not seeing their shenanigans either. I also don't like it how I cannot change the control layout. I want to use the D-Pad. This is a 2.5D game so why not? Seeing the remains of the former task force of the Galactic Federation laying about gives the original story a bit more element here then what wasn't in the original game. Although I don't know why they were members of the police when they should have been military (the special corps as Super Metroid had put it). Unless of course they are one and the same. I haven't gotten very far however I am looking forward to more playtime after I finish this up  :)

Tags: