Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Question on original release of Metroid 2  (Read 8558 times)

Offline Belmont legacy

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
Question on original release of Metroid 2
« on: November 07, 2017, 06:56:24 PM »
Hey there everyone. So as winter slowly approaches I've been wanting to do some Metroid (don't know why that ALWAYS seems to be the series of choice for the season for me. Possibly because of the "dark" atmosphere) and I have beaten Metroid and super Metroid (Jesus I love that game) however I haven't beaten Metroid 2 on Gameboy. Now note: I have this game on the original Gameboy and wish to beat it on the original console it was released on. However just like it's older brother, it lacks a map system and knowing my bad sense of direction without a map (I was spoiled by super Metroid and later releases/Castlevania games for that) how would one go about beating this without using a walkthrough and has anyone ever done so?
By My Hands...The Belmont Clan Will Be Avenged...

Offline zangetsu468

• Master Hunter
  • God bless the hustler, curse the first sleeper
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
Re: Question on original release of Metroid 2
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2017, 09:44:05 PM »
Why don't you just use grid paper and draw the map in blocks as you play?
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<[Judgement]>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

**<<<<<SuperCVIV>COTM<<<<<<<<+
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^
                                 ^      l   v  ^    +<<<<<<<BE
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^  
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     BE>>> VK<**   
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     ^          ^   
            +<<<<<Legends>HC>OOS>LOD>64       ^
            v                           l              ^                ^
            v                           l     BE>> * <<<BE    RE
            v                           l      ^               ^       ^
LOI>CVIII>COD>AR>BR>CVC>CVII>HOD>ROB>SOTN>OOE>BL>POR>AOS>DOS>>>KD
                                                                          v
                                                                         BE>*  
BE=Bad Ending
RE=Richter Ending

Offline Belmont legacy

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2017, 07:37:22 AM »
I could
By My Hands...The Belmont Clan Will Be Avenged...

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2017, 09:26:45 AM »
how would one go about beating this without using a walkthrough and has anyone ever done so?

I have. It was before Super Metroid was even a gleam in the eyes of Gunpei Yokoi. Metroid II's layout is not like the original. There are sections that are blocked off until said Metroids are eliminated, then more of the map is available to explore. I don't have a good sense of direction either but Metroid II is not as bad as its predecessor or some other games of the day.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 09:30:22 AM by X »
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline theANdROId

• Master Hunter
  • Raiding the Castle's Treasure Room...
  • Awards 2014-12-FoodItem Sprite Contest 3rd Place Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness (N64)
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2017, 08:16:26 PM »
It seemed a bit more linear to me.  As X says, the map layout is kinda sectioned.  Once you rid that area of Metroids you can move into another section and repeat the process.  If I recall, there wasn't really a need for backtracking as is typical for this type of game (you know: you found X so you can go back to area Y to get Z that you couldn't before).  I think I have a decent sense of direction though (when it comes to maps in games at least) so that may have helped me out too.

What about Google searching for a map and just using that?

Offline Eric Roman

• Arima Red
  • Vampire Hunter
  • THE RISE that Eric Roman has sent
    • EricTJRoman.com
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2017, 08:39:39 AM »
I explored the fuuuck out of Metroid II... 

Though, when I began taking it on 25 years ago (roughly to the date) I had the convenience/crutch of the fully-illustrated December 1991 Nintendo Power review to help me along, but I say ditch that, make a blind adventure of it! 

On that note, you may find the Spider Ball to be your friend.  Damn, I miss that item. 

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2017, 10:09:57 AM »
You could download and print a map for that oldtimey Nintendo Power feeling.
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline Bloodreign

• Old school and nothing but old school
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • The Best
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2017, 12:53:21 PM »
I personally never beat the game (and all my old Nintendo Powers got damaged in the flooding in 2012 in my area, 20 inches of rain in 6 hours on that fateful March morning). I do know the game is easy to get lost in if you take time away from it. The lack of color also really added to the atmosphere of the game, dark and brooding, teeming with life forms that can kill.

Yes, I lost the NP that had the map, but Nintendo Power mags can be found, page by page scans if you look around for them. You can get entire issues that way, I had issues 1-29, never owned 2-28, but my old external HDD died, thereby once again wiping out Nintendo Power, Gamepro, and EGM magazine scans I had downloaded for reading purposes.

Offline knightmere

• Lord of The Abyss
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2017, 06:21:48 PM »
You can easily find maps online for Metroid 2. I would try to find your own way first as that is the way the game is meant to be experienced.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2017, 10:04:37 PM »
The Metroid Database is a good spot for Metroid maps, and other things Metroid-related too.
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline redrum

• Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2017, 11:01:31 PM »
you could just play AM2R, it's a much fuller experience than the gameboy one and has a built in map.
i spent a lotta time with 'troid 2 on gameboy.  helped a friend of mine work on a colorized version, but AM2R is probably even better than super 'troid.

Offline BLOOD MONKEY

• rrrrrrrrrrrrr
  • Master Hunter
  • BEWARE, I LIVE
  • Awards May 2017 Sprite Contest Second Place 2015-02-Sprite Contest 1st Place
    • twitter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2017, 01:52:30 PM »
you could just play AM2R, it's a much fuller experience than the gameboy one and has a built in map.
i spent a lotta time with 'troid 2 on gameboy.  helped a friend of mine work on a colorized version, but AM2R is probably even better than super 'troid.

this ^^^
UPON THE COMPLETION OF ITS STATEMENT, THE BLOOD MONKEY LEAPS TOWARDS YOU, BARING TEETH. IT IS TOO LATE FOR YOU.

Offline PFG9000

• No, not the gun
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Fan of all things Floyd
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2017, 09:18:58 AM »
If your goal is to beat it without using any outside resources, I'd recommend drawing your own map.  It wouldn't have to be a grid-based map to-scale, but a rough sketch would be pretty helpful.  Besides, if I recall correctly, a to-scale map of Metroid 2 is not possible because the game has areas that overlap each other and could not actually exist on the same 2D plane.

I drew a map of the original Metroid my first time through it, and it really improved my immersion in the game.  I tried playing through Metroid 2 without drawing a map my first try, but it got so confusing that I resorted to an online map because I was too lazy to draw my own at that point.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2017, 09:57:01 AM »
Besides, if I recall correctly, a to-scale map of Metroid 2 is not possible because the game has areas that overlap each other and could not actually exist on the same 2D plane.

You right about this. Much later in Metroid II, the maps start to overlap each other. So it is difficult to sketch out a map unless you do what Nintendo Power magazine did, which was break up the maps into section in order to prevent the overlap issue.

Offline theANdROId

• Master Hunter
  • Raiding the Castle's Treasure Room...
  • Awards 2014-12-FoodItem Sprite Contest 3rd Place Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness (N64)
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2017, 02:24:32 PM »
...you could just play AM2R...

I had this on my other laptop but didn't get time to play before it died.  I need to go find it again for my new laptop (if it's still out there anywhere).

Tags:

anything