Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Do you have gaming injuries?  (Read 7857 times)

Offline Bengr Hausve

• Hunter in Training
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
« on: December 11, 2017, 04:03:52 PM »
Remember "Nintendo thumb" (aka gamer's grip, Nintendonitis) ? I have a smart phone/tablet Carpal tunnel syndrome-esque condition on the sinew/muscle under my thumbs. Yes. Laugh all you want. I deserve it. But it's true. I got it 3 years ago, reading comics on my then small smart phone. I wasn't being excessive imo at all. But even now, after 3 years, I still have this pain in my thumbs enjoying media, if my thumbs aren't supported enough, like a pro-video game controller does. (Like a dual shock controller). I guess the pain started from playing GBA/NDS to 3DS. Don't know why I'm sharing this, but the pain is real. I guess I'm asking if you have such, if you can relate or know anyone with similar pain? And if you think this is ridicilous or can you empathize?  :-\ 

« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 04:14:52 PM by Bengr Hausve »

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2017, 04:21:31 PM »
Uh

When I was a kid I used to get blisters on my thumbs after long sessions on the Gameboy Color or Playstation.

Does that count?
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline BLOOD MONKEY

• rrrrrrrrrrrrr
  • Master Hunter
  • BEWARE, I LIVE
  • Awards May 2017 Sprite Contest Second Place 2015-02-Sprite Contest 1st Place
    • twitter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2017, 05:50:56 PM »
I once broke my finger in a power glove. :(
UPON THE COMPLETION OF ITS STATEMENT, THE BLOOD MONKEY LEAPS TOWARDS YOU, BARING TEETH. IT IS TOO LATE FOR YOU.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2017, 06:50:55 PM »
I get the occasional blister and a small bit of wrist strain after a prolonged play, but otherwise not a whole lot to complain about.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2017, 12:58:40 AM »
I got blisters before.

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2017, 01:05:01 AM »
bruh i've got carpal and ulnar and radial and i'm pretty sure cubital tunnels

in both arms

you ain't gonna find more empathy for that shit lol, it fuckin' sucks

Trøllabundin eri eg, inn í hjartarót.

Offline JR

• Home Gym Rat
  • Master Hunter
  • That Star Wars will make a million bucks someday.
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2017, 02:36:19 AM »
bruh i've got carpal and ulnar and radial and i'm pretty sure cubital tunnels

in both arms

you ain't gonna find more empathy for that shit lol, it fuckin' sucks

I used to get tingling and numbness in my ulnar and radial nerves...bugged the crap out of me. I think it was the combination of weightlifting and working with my hands. But then I got a managerment position and didn't have to use tools on a daily basis anymore, and it went away. But now I can't lift until my AC joint problem clears up. Good times.

It's like Who Wants to Be a Millionaire, but instead it's Who Wants Fried Chicken? I do.

Offline zangetsu468

• Master Hunter
  • God bless the hustler, curse the first sleeper
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2017, 06:22:16 AM »
Losing my voice...
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<[Judgement]>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

**<<<<<SuperCVIV>COTM<<<<<<<<+
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^
                                 ^      l   v  ^    +<<<<<<<BE
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^  
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     BE>>> VK<**   
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     ^          ^   
            +<<<<<Legends>HC>OOS>LOD>64       ^
            v                           l              ^                ^
            v                           l     BE>> * <<<BE    RE
            v                           l      ^               ^       ^
LOI>CVIII>COD>AR>BR>CVC>CVII>HOD>ROB>SOTN>OOE>BL>POR>AOS>DOS>>>KD
                                                                          v
                                                                         BE>*  
BE=Bad Ending
RE=Richter Ending

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2017, 12:56:02 PM »
I used to get tingling and numbness in my ulnar and radial nerves...bugged the crap out of me. I think it was the combination of weightlifting and working with my hands. But then I got a managerment position and didn't have to use tools on a daily basis anymore, and it went away. But now I can't lift until my AC joint problem clears up. Good times.

yeah, that's the part that bothers me more--sure, the pain sucks when it flares up but it's nothing i can't deal with; it's the times where like my hands aren't working right

and then sometimes the body just doesn't care and does both at once with handlock

Offline Bloodreign

• Old school and nothing but old school
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • The Best
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2017, 04:40:43 AM »
I got aches and pain from old age (back, knees, joints), can't say I have had injuries from gaming, have been doing it since 1979. Worst thing I got was a few blisters, including one from playing Third Strike on the PS2. Was on the last boss, noticed I had a blister, ripped that son of a bitch open, and proceeded to beat the boss and my thumb felt like it was on fire as I was still rubbing it across the directional pad. Felt manly at the moment, but that blister stung for several hours before it finally calmed down and quit hurting.

Offline theANdROId

• Master Hunter
  • Raiding the Castle's Treasure Room...
  • Awards 2014-12-FoodItem Sprite Contest 3rd Place Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness (N64)
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2017, 04:05:35 PM »
I remember getting blisters on my palms from spinning the joystick on Mario Party for the N64.  I have some mild carpal/ulnar/etc. tunnel issues that probably came from just about everything I do (console gaming, computer gaming, used to do construction work with my dad, do sign language interpreting now...)

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2017, 04:34:12 PM »
I got aches and pain from old age (back, knees, joints), can't say I have had injuries from gaming, have been doing it since 1979. Worst thing I got was a few blisters, including one from playing Third Strike on the PS2. Was on the last boss, noticed I had a blister, ripped that son of a bitch open, and proceeded to beat the boss and my thumb felt like it was on fire as I was still rubbing it across the directional pad. Felt manly at the moment, but that blister stung for several hours before it finally calmed down and quit hurting.

similar thing, but with me it was a space harrier cabinet

fuckin' space harrier man, jesus that game was a rush, but it's what gave me my buttonmashing skills

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2017, 04:28:32 AM »
Does butt pain from sitting on my ass to long count?
"Stuff and things."

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2017, 12:36:49 AM »
+1
Does butt pain from sitting on my ass to long count?

LOL It also happens with office work and sitting in the car for too long.

Offline Super Waffle

• Master Hunter
  • Obliterated CharloNathan and has no regrets
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
    • The zone
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2017, 08:51:14 PM »
+2
There was this one time Rise Kujikawa crawled out of a TV screen and killed me.

Tags:

anything