Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Wii Shop closing  (Read 10414 times)

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« on: January 09, 2018, 03:03:24 PM »
Yoooo Duderonomies and Babelonians, I made these posts in a Facebook video game group a while back and got TWO WHOLE RECOMMENDATIONS (Gradius ReBirth and "And Yet It Moves"). So read on and give any input you can, please.

PART I ZOWEE

With the Wii Shop Channel disappearing soon, I thought it would be good to bring attention to the WiiWare and Virtual Console gems on the service. Suggest any others you're particular toward, especially games that are only available digitally on the Wii.

- Zombie Panic in Wonderland (WiiWare)
If you're familiar with Wild Guns and other single scene, over-the-shoulder shooters like it, this is a great one with a fun, spooky theme, perfect for Halloween. It's been ported to other systems with added content (3DS and mobile), but I personally feel the original is best for the Wii Remote + Nunchuck controls; also, some levels were redesigned for the later versions, and I think they did them better the first time. The director of this game was also responsible for Little Red Riding Hood's Zombie BBQ, a similar game for the DS (and was also later released as a DSi title, probably still downloadable from the 3DS eShop).

- Castlevania: Rondo of Blood (VC/TG-16)
Still the only console re-release of one of the series' best. It plays similar to the older games but has a bigger emphasis on strategic combat and branching paths. Some of the best music in the series. Thankfully, this game is no longer the rarely played hidden gem it used to be, but there may be Castlevania or action platformer fans who still haven't played it, and the VC version is great (even if transplanting the new narration from the PSP version was kinda bogus).

- DoReMi Fantasy: Milon's DokiDoki Adventure (VC/SNES)
A fairly unknown cutesy platformer that was originally only released in Japan. It's a sequel to Milon's Secret Castle, but where that game was cryptic and kind of hard, DoReMi Fantasy is a more straight-forward game and one I'd relate to Kirby Super Star in terms of being kind of on the easy side but still a ton of fun. Rich graphics, unique ambient music at parts, and the only re-release this game has ever had.

- The Dynastic Hero (VC/TG-16)
Hudson's retooling of Wonder Boy in Monster World. The lead character design is a little lame, but it's got a CD soundtrack and is a little bit easier in parts than WBIMW, particularly the final boss who is a pain on the Genesis. If you enjoy exploration-based sidescrollers with RPG elements, this is a really fun one.

- Dragon's Curse (VC/TG-16)
Another Hudson retooling of a Monster World game, this being of Wonder Boy III: The Dragon's Trap. Better in ways than Dynastic Hero, you play as numerous animal forms that each have their own abilities. The level design sometimes makes little sense with no logic pertaining to how one area leads to the next, but it all adds to the fun and dreamlike world. I like the TurboGrafx soundtrack over the Sega Master System one.

- Monster World IV (VC/Genesis)
The last original Monster World game (except for the Dragon's Trap remake and the upcoming Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom), this one has a bit less exploration and open-ended design and is more straight forward, level-by-level. Some of the most amazing and colorful graphics on the system, it never got released outside Japan until this newly translated re-release. It's available on PS3 and 360 as well (and Xbox One through backward compatibility), but a worthy mention all the same.

- Castlevania: The Adventure ReBirth (WiiWare)
A really good game in the series, very loosely based on the original Game Boy game but is altogether a brand new game. M2 did a great job capturing what made the old school CV games so good (this is not a Metroidvania), with a really good FM Synth style soundtrack that plays like a greatest hits for the series. Using the "Load BGM" song from Akumajou Dracula X68000 as a stage theme is great.

- Contra ReBirth (WiiWare)
M2's take on Contra. It's a wholly unique entry to the series, mostly following in the footsteps of Contra III and Hard Corps. Great soundtrack here as well. If you like Contra or run-n-gun games, this is a must.

- Fast Racing League (WiiWare)
If you like Fast Racing Neo on the Wii U, or its enhanced port Fast RMX on the Switch, then you might be interested in this. It's the first game in the FAST series by Shin'en. It's slower than Neo/RMX, playing less like F-Zero GX but still a future racer. It has more an emphasis on collecting orbs to boost but also used to switch polarities, which in this game can mean changing from white to black in order to cling to a black strip of racetrack that's on the ceiling. It's a technical marvel for the original Wii system, and is a good bit of fun.

- Zombies Ate My Neighbors (VC/SNES)
To my knowledge, this has never been re-released elsewhere. I think just about everybody knows about this game, but it's a top-down run and gun with an excellent and campy B-movie horror theme.

- Super Mario Bros. 2: The Lost Levels (VC/NES)
It's on the Wii U VC as well, but NES games on the Wii U weren't emulated very well and tend to look and play poorly. The game is also part of Super Mario All-Stars, of course, but this is a digital release of the original Famicom version.

- Super Smash Bros. (VC/N64)
The originator, still never re-released elsewhere. Enhanced on the Wii due to it being higher resolution than on the N64.

- Chrono Trigger (VC/SNES)
As far as I know, the only re-release of the original version (putting aside the PSX and DS ports). An incredible RPG, even for folks like me who don't typically play RPGs.

- LIT (WiiWare)
A strange puzzle/action horror game from WayForward. The objective is to use light to get through several classrooms, as the darkness will consume you whole. Some of the later stages can get pretty maddening, really twisting your brain and using your quick reflex skills to get through a room.

- Muscle March (WiiWare)
It's fun, it's ridiculous, it's Namco's bizarre, homoerotic on-rails posing game! You use the Wii Remote and Nunchuk to perform various poses in order to fit through walls that someone in front has crashed through Wile E. Coyote style. The objective: chase down villains who have stolen your muscle milk.

- Alien Soldier (VC/Genesis)
A strange run-n-gun by Treasure and not one I'm totally sure I like, but I appreciate its weirdness. Packed with more minibosses than your typical Contra, this game never was released outside Japan originally and is a difficult one to get into. I hear once you get into the groove of the game it's a fantastic experience, but I still can't even beat the first stage.

Lastly, some others I haven't played yet but picked up because they sound fascinating:

- Jett Rocket (WiiWare)
- Vampire Crystals (WiiWare)
- Monster Lair (VC/TG-16) – a Wonder Boy shoot 'em up
- Beyond Oasis (VC/Genesis)
- Pulseman (VC/Genesis)

If you have other rarities, hidden gems, or overall great games that are on the Wii Shop Channel, recommend away! The ability to add currency ends sometime in March, and the servers shut down early 2019.

PART II ZOUNDS

Some more worth mentioning (I don't have much experience with most of these so I can't comment much):

- Blaster Master (NES)
A sidescroller exploration based game like the so-called Metroidvanias. I'm of the opinion the Switch/3DS remake by Inti Creates is better, but the original is really fun, although tough.

- Bio Miracle Bokutte Upa (NES)
A weird-ass platformer by Konami, never released outside Japan originally. It's a fun one if you wanna get away from the usual platforming classics and play something kooky.

- Super Adventure Island II (SNES)
Haven't played this yet, but unlike the nearly-always-running previous games, this one is more like a Metroidvania, or more specifically like Wonder Boy's off-shoot Monster World games, which is a strange twist of fate or intentional design choice, since Adventure Island had its start as a reskin of the original Wonder Boy.

- Faxanadu (NES)
An interesting exploration sidescroller similar to Simon's Quest. Super cool graphics.

- Space Harrier (Arcade)
I'm told this port is arcade-perfect. I had it on 3DS, but what drew me to the Wii version is its motion controls Nunchuk mode, where you move the Nunchuk around for fully accurate analog control, apparently simulating the freedom of movement of the original arcade flightstick. It feels better than an analog stick, which in turn is better than playing on a D-pad.

- StarTropics and Zoda's Revenge: StarTropics II (NES)
I haven't played these yet but they're some cool looking first-party Nintendo games, kind of unknown I'd say. Worth checking out gameplay videos to see if it's your thing.

- Ogre Battle 64
I heard it's great and rare, I dunno I'd probably suck at it. I know it's also on Wii U VC, but the visual quality of N64 games (and SNES, NES) on Wii U is pretty dark and muddy looking, so you'd be better off getting it for regular Wii.

- Cho Aniki (PC Engine CD-ROM)
Ridiculous, homoerotic, really great graphics and music. Kind of a novelty shmup, but it looks fun enough and is another import title.

- Cruis'n USA (N64)
This is kind of in the so-bad-it's-good territory, and I can't wait to play it during a game night with my buds. As a kid I played the arcade original all of one credit and don't remember having any impression of it other than the graphics being kinda neat. I was never big into arcade racing games, to be honest.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline VladOfWallachia

• Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Carpathian Night
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2018, 04:08:29 PM »
I should really transfer Rondo and Adventure Rebirth over to my WiiU. I haven't touched my Wii in years.

But yeah, pretty complete list, Rondo and Adventure Rebirth being the "must haves" for Castlevania fans.

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2018, 04:59:27 PM »
Better get on transferring before January next year, because with the Wii Shop shutting down, with it goes the ability to transfer from a Wii to Wii U.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline theANdROId

• Master Hunter
  • Raiding the Castle's Treasure Room...
  • Awards 2014-12-FoodItem Sprite Contest 3rd Place Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness (N64)
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2018, 06:47:02 PM »
Closing?!  If it isn't too late I may need to go buy Final Fantasy 3 (I think that was on there).  Everyone says it's one of the best so...

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2018, 01:17:29 AM »
You can add currency to the Wii Shop Channel until March 26th of this year, and the servers shut down January 30, 2019 meaning you can no longer buy or redownload software, nor can you do a system transfer to Wii U.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline Bloodreign

• Old school and nothing but old school
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • The Best
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2018, 04:03:19 AM »
I already have a lot of these games like Doremi Fantasy, River City Ransom, Rondo, the Rebirths, SMB 2 J, Pulseman, Boukette Upa. Some I have on consoles (Chrono Trigger, PSX version, ZAMN SNES (one day the Genesis one too), Monster World IV on PS3, Beyond Oasis on Genesis, and PS2 and PS3 Genesis collections, a slightly borked in sound quality Space Harrier on the PS3 Genesis collection, original Blaster Master on NES, Faxanadu on NES, and both Star Tropics on NES. Alien Soldier I can get on PSN, or buck up the cash for the PS2 Treasure Box, which has Alien Soldier, Gunstar Heroes, and Dynamite Headdy (the latter 2 I have on Genesis), but isn't cheap these days. Patience will eventually pay off on it though. I should also like Super Adventure Island II, and could've bought a cart only copy locally a few years ago for $25, but passed on it (I did the same for a $35 cart only Joe and Mac II SNES, it goes for more online, I like the game, but that's expensive. Hell I don't even have Kirby 3, or Superstar Saga on SNES, but that Wii Kirby collection covers me). But alas, I don't care for it.

I always found it odd, Secret of Mana was never put on the VC, nor was it's sequel ever translated and put on there. Sometimes logic escapes game companies. Everything I have is here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/merftyc86w4pt0x/My%20Game%20Collection.txt?dl=0

Edit: Not sure if they ever got delisted (Irem went belly up, so they might both be gone), but once upon a time R-Type TG-16 and Ninja Spirit PCE, both awesome games, were on the VC, and I snagged the both of them.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 04:20:19 AM by Bloodreign »

Offline zangetsu468

• Master Hunter
  • God bless the hustler, curse the first sleeper
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2018, 05:01:56 AM »
So does this mean Rondo is unattainable as a console download after this? Is it on the Switch store?
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<[Judgement]>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

**<<<<<SuperCVIV>COTM<<<<<<<<+
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^
                                 ^      l   v  ^    +<<<<<<<BE
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^  
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     BE>>> VK<**   
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     ^          ^   
            +<<<<<Legends>HC>OOS>LOD>64       ^
            v                           l              ^                ^
            v                           l     BE>> * <<<BE    RE
            v                           l      ^               ^       ^
LOI>CVIII>COD>AR>BR>CVC>CVII>HOD>ROB>SOTN>OOE>BL>POR>AOS>DOS>>>KD
                                                                          v
                                                                         BE>*  
BE=Bad Ending
RE=Richter Ending

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2018, 09:35:40 AM »
I've recently been to the Switch store. They are pretty bare bones in terms of the classics for now.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Jazz Paladin Productions

• Vampire Hunter
  • I was summoned here to pay tribute
    • Jazz Paladin On Facebook
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2018, 01:32:30 PM »
It's too bad Rondo and other titles aren't NATIVELY available on on Wii U. Alas, I have no Wii...
Jazzyvania: Symphonies of the Knight now available on CD/ Digital platforms! Groove on!

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2018, 09:33:22 PM »
So does this mean Rondo is unattainable as a console download after this?

Correct, making Dracula X Chronicles the only remaining licensed re-release.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline zangetsu468

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2018, 12:07:17 AM »
Correct, making Dracula X Chronicles the only remaining licensed re-release.

So why not download to an SD card and copy?

Adventure Rebirth also.

Someone has to save the classics..

v
                                                                         BE>*  
BE=Bad Ending
RE=Richter Ending

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2018, 01:08:21 AM »
I'm sure they're both preserved as WAD files somewhere; that's how I originally played the Japanese VC release of Rondo (with original opening narration), before it got announced for the US.

Also, a tip for anyone with VC/WiiWare games: definitely back up your SD card. The games will still play as long as the licenses are attached to the Wii system they were purchased on, and you won't be able to redownload any titles after next January, so better safe than sorry if you lose your SD card or it gets corrupted.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 01:11:00 AM by Abnormal Freak »
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline zangetsu468

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2018, 02:10:48 AM »
I'm sure they're both preserved as WAD files somewhere; that's how I originally played the Japanese VC release of Rondo (with original opening narration), before it got announced for the US.

Also, a tip for anyone with VC/WiiWare games: definitely back up your SD card. The games will still play as long as the licenses are attached to the Wii system they were purchased on, and you won't be able to redownload any titles after next January, so better safe than sorry if you lose your SD card or it gets corrupted.

Good advice.

It's also a wise business decision if anyone plans to sell their Wii console. It would have a rare collectible to boot.

v
                                                                         BE>*  
BE=Bad Ending
RE=Richter Ending

Offline TheouAegis

• Amateur Auteur of GMvania
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • GMvania Developer's Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2018, 11:58:37 PM »
I dunno if it's on there, but look for Deae Tonosama: Appare Ichiban. It was on the Super Famicom. It's like Sunsoft's answer to Kikikaikai (Pocky & Rocky). They look and play almost exactly the same. It's like Pocky & Rocky meets Cho Aniki. It's not nearly as homoerotic as Cho Aniki, but your characters have gay voices and your super power is tearing your top off so you can show off you bronzed torso while pummeling enemies.

Then there are those ninjas that squat obscenely...
Your mom has had more floppies put in her than a Commodore 64!

Follow my lack of progress on my game at my blog:
http://gmvania.blogspot.com

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2018, 01:25:37 PM »
Yo d00ds and d00d3ttes, any other recs? TurboGrafx and Master System are two I'm not terribly familiar with, maybe there's gems I'm overlooking.

List of US Virtual Console games

WiiWare
« Last Edit: January 25, 2018, 01:31:43 PM by Abnormal Freak »
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Tags: