Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Castlevania's future  (Read 24225 times)

Offline Belmontoya

• Composer/ Voice Actor
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-09-Sprite Contest 3rd Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #60 on: September 07, 2016, 10:14:17 AM »
Sweet!

I'll be buying Haunted Castle for sure!

I've never beaten it. Hopefully the ps4 version will be a little more playable.
The worst monsters are human.

Offline Guy Belmont

• Vampire Hunter
  • Master Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #61 on: September 08, 2016, 06:31:50 PM »
Yeah I'll buy HC, as that's the Simon in my Fan universe  ;)

but its nice to see Konami trying to bring the franchise back to life, lets hope that we get a new 3D game, it would be cool if they did reboot the timeline like I said, but keep the combat cross design when the whip is at full power. sort of like in the older games, start with leather whip, and end with morning star. (dag got to get on with my fan fic)
Its nice to see this as hot topic, as we all what to CV to grow. I do think I'd cut down on some of the Belmont's as I feel that it gets less special if its everyone of em, it should be only a select few.

but that's just feelings.
Last son of family Belmont.

https://thebelmonthold.home.blog/

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #62 on: September 08, 2016, 10:57:27 PM »
I do think I'd cut down on some of the Belmont's as I feel that it gets less special if its everyone of em, it should be only a select few.

Then it would kinda defeat the importance of them in the first place since they are the only ones out of all humanity that can successfully slay Dracula. I don't mind other people outside of the family that are also hunters, but unless they are helping out said Belmont they won't be able to kill the count. But there could also be CV Gaidens they could star in that don't feature either Dracula or the Belmonts. This would give other heroes a chance to shine in the CV universe.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline zangetsu468

• Master Hunter
  • God bless the hustler, curse the first sleeper
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #63 on: September 08, 2016, 11:20:15 PM »
Then it would kinda defeat the importance of them in the first place since they are the only ones out of all humanity that can successfully slay Dracula. I don't mind other people outside of the family that are also hunters, but unless they are helping out said Belmont they won't be able to kill the count. But there could also be CV Gaidens they could star in that don't feature either Dracula or the Belmonts. This would give other heroes a chance to shine in the CV universe.

Come to think of it, in Iga's timeline any non-Belmonts I.e. Shanoa Hector and Alucard were isolated situations. Shanoa used his own power assisted by the descendants of the Belmonts' bloodlines and would've required her own life but Albus' was used. Hector was supposed to be the vessel for Dracula's resurrection but Isaac was used and it was an incomplete Dracula. Alucard is a different case, after the Richter fight Shaft mentions that his resurrection has already begun, so unless the Japanese version states otherwise it seems he was incomplete.

Circumstances permitting I like the odd non-Belmont fight against Dracula.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<[Judgement]>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

**<<<<<SuperCVIV>COTM<<<<<<<<+
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^
                                 ^      l   v  ^    +<<<<<<<BE
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^  
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     BE>>> VK<**   
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     ^          ^   
            +<<<<<Legends>HC>OOS>LOD>64       ^
            v                           l              ^                ^
            v                           l     BE>> * <<<BE    RE
            v                           l      ^               ^       ^
LOI>CVIII>COD>AR>BR>CVC>CVII>HOD>ROB>SOTN>OOE>BL>POR>AOS>DOS>>>KD
                                                                          v
                                                                         BE>*  
BE=Bad Ending
RE=Richter Ending

Offline chainsawmidget

• that guy
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #64 on: September 10, 2016, 11:45:05 AM »
Then it would kinda defeat the importance of them in the first place since they are the only ones out of all humanity that can successfully slay Dracula.
Actually that could make for some interesting story potential. 

Suppose Dracula is doing his normal attack on all humanity thing and there isn't a Belmont around for whatever reason.  Maybe they went to go stop some other dark lord in a afar off land and aren't going to be able to get back anytime soon.  It's not like people can just sit and wait for somebody to slay Dracula. 

Imagine having your hero go on his epic quest with the knowledge that no matter what he does or how hard he tries, the very best he can hope for is hurting Dracula enough that he backs down temporarily. 

Offline Belmontoya

• Composer/ Voice Actor
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #65 on: September 10, 2016, 12:18:55 PM »
If we're talking a 3D reboot, I would like it to start at the beginning.

Honestly I would like a reboot series with Sonia Belmont as the star that also gives Dracula a new backstory starting with him as a human antagonist.

I change my mind of this stuff all the time. But I just love her as a protagonist and I would love to see her character given more attention.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2016, 12:29:05 PM by Belmontoya »

Offline Guy Belmont

• Vampire Hunter
  • Master Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #66 on: September 11, 2016, 04:38:01 PM »

Well you sort missed my point there. but I ment that in the past Dracula has only  attacked like a handful of times, as it really takes the epic out of it if all if it just like"rise, Kill, Repeat"
 it should be that the Belmont line goes on but only a few ever face the count. and when its set in the future, the main Belmont will have no idea of there fate.   id like to see a sort of mix of steam and diesel punk, and some Noir thrown in there too. Teaming up with Noir style female Vampire who sings in a club, but it turns out that she is in fact the counts secret   daughter, and she what's to kill him for his evil deeds and for killing her mother, yeah that be cool. 

If we're talking a 3D reboot, I would like it to start at the beginning.

Honestly I would like a reboot series with Sonia Belmont as the star that also gives Dracula a new backstory starting with him as a human antagonist.

I change my mind of this stuff all the time. But I just love her as a protagonist and I would love to see her character given more attention.

And yeah we are talking 3D, and id always have  Sonia  replacing Leon, as I really think IGA just lost his way with the later. games. 
« Last Edit: September 11, 2016, 04:42:52 PM by Guy Belmondo »

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #67 on: September 12, 2016, 09:58:40 AM »
Well you sort missed my point there.

My apologies Guy Belmont. Texting doesn't give us the whole communicational works as does person to person  :)
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Guy Belmont

• Vampire Hunter
  • Master Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #68 on: September 12, 2016, 01:59:47 PM »
yeah I know what you mean. its happen to me before, no worries.  ;)
But shame that Konami isn't reading this page, and see how much, we what a new game.  :-\

Offline James Belmont

• Dude
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #69 on: November 25, 2016, 09:58:00 PM »
I debated about making a new thread for this but I figured this would be a decent enough spot. If you disagree, let me know!

I always had this idea for a Castlevania game that borrowed more from the Frankenstein mythos than Dracula.

Basic idea is, you play as the original Frankenstein Monster. Someone is following in Victor Frankenstein's footsteps and creating an army of monsters, and it's up to you to stop him. You must venture into the mysterious castle and kill his legion of strange and horrible creatures before they can be unleashed on the world. You can probably guess just what castle this is, of course, even though a mad scientist has taken up shop in it.

As the original Frankenstein Monster your primary weapon is a chain, used much like a whip in fact. Your secondary attacks are all based on your ability to harness lightning, depleting an energy meter rather than a magic meter, and these can also be used to solve some puzzles early on. As things get more difficult, a mechanic is introduced which is inspired by a certain famous blue bomber: with every boss you kill, you acquire a body part you can attach to yourself. With each new limb that you swap out with your old limbs, you enhance your attributes, learn new skills, and/or obtain new means of attacking your enemies. For instance, a new set of legs could allow you to jump higher. A new arm could mean a weapon with a longer reach. Some limbs may aid in solving puzzles while others may make things easier when dealing with particularly nasty enemies.

The catch is, you can't switch between them willy nilly. Throughout the castle are surgical stations where you make the necessary alterations. You also have a limit to how many parts you can use at a time. You've only got two arms and two legs, after all, and going much farther than that would require more extensive surgeries. Because of this you'll need to be clever when it comes to which parts you use as you travel through the castle. This will also make a difference between how you play the game and how other people play it.

At the end of the game, you confront the mad genius behind all the monsters, one Doctor Septimus Pretorius. However, you soon learn that his ultimate goal is to make a monster much more diabolical than any other you've faced: he has obtained the heart of Dracula and not only has he built a new body to house it, he has tricked you into using your lightning powers to bring it to life. So the final boss is Dracula after all, resurrected artificially through mad science instead of magic, and the result is no less than an abomination.

After completing the game, you unlock an option to play the game again as the Bride of Frankenstein, of course, who has a unique play style all her own and possibly her own storyline.

The thing about this idea is that it would be very easy to rework into an entirely new IP that retains something of the Castlevania flavor, with its strong emphasis on classic monster lore and gothic horror weirdness. Still, while it would be a bit of a departure I reckon the general concept could work better within the established canon than some other ideas which were actually carried out. Anything's better than the big ol' stinking pile of nothing we have right now.

What say y'all?

Offline Belmontoya

• Composer/ Voice Actor
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #70 on: November 25, 2016, 10:06:36 PM »
+1
Wow!

It's so incredibly coincidental that you would bring up Frankenstein right now.

Plot twist knows what I'm talking about...

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place 2017-07-Sprite Contest 2nd PLace 2016-09-Sprite Contest First Place 2015 - Christmas Award First Place 2015 - Halloween Sprite Contest - Second Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« Reply #71 on: November 26, 2016, 02:02:22 PM »
+1
Wow!

It's so incredibly coincidental that you would bring up Frankenstein right now.

Plot twist knows what I'm talking about...

Not only that, but the similarity gets scary even on specific details.
The mastermind behind the "Umbra of Sorrow" project. But not the only one.

Offline James Belmont

• Dude
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #72 on: November 26, 2016, 02:47:36 PM »
Not only that, but the similarity gets scary even on specific details.
Heheh, I don't know what you guys have cooking, but I can promise I'm no spy, or mind reader for that matter.  :P

I'm just a CV fan who is also a big time classic monster fan, and given that Frankenstein is often considered Dracula's equal as a horror icon, the other half of "the big two", I thought I'd pitch an idea for a CV game that utilized Frankenstein a bit more thoroughly than as a throwaway boss or something. The rest just kind of came to me naturally when I tried to think of how to expand on that foundation.

Offline coinilius

• Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
« Reply #73 on: November 26, 2016, 05:22:35 PM »
Heheh, I don't know what you guys have cooking, but I can promise I'm no spy, or mind reader for that matter.  :P

I'm just a CV fan who is also a big time classic monster fan, and given that Frankenstein is often considered Dracula's equal as a horror icon, the other half of "the big two", I thought I'd pitch an idea for a CV game that utilized Frankenstein a bit more thoroughly than as a throwaway boss or something. The rest just kind of came to me naturally when I tried to think of how to expand on that foundation.

Hey James, those are some interesting ideas that you have for a Frankenstein inspired Castlevania game!  Would be very easy to adapt into just an original, stand alone property as well as you mentioned, which might actually be better for such an idea so it can really grow.  The modular body parts affecting how you progress is a really good one.

While on the subject of Castlevania-esque Frankenstein games - have you seen Frankenstein: The Monster Returns on the NES?  It has the Monster as the main bad guy, complete with his power coming from an evil dimension and Dracula (or at least a Vampire with a very similar attack pattern to the Castlevania Count) under his thrall.  There's also the Dr Franken series where you control the Monster as he explores a vast castle in a Metroidvania fashion - though it's not exactly a very good series. Sorry if I sound like a commercial for Frankenstein games, I just like the idea of Frankenstein/Castlevania as well.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2016, 05:34:57 PM by coinilius »

Offline James Belmont

• Dude
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #74 on: November 26, 2016, 05:56:08 PM »
Hey James, those are some interesting ideas that you have for a Frankenstein inspired Castlevania game!  Would be very easy to adapt into just an original, stand alone property as well as you mentioned, which might actually be better for such an idea so it can really grow.  The modular body parts affecting how you progress is a really good one.
There's certainly a wealth of mad science literature out there to draw from. A sequel set on the Island of Doctor Moreau could be fun (Perhaps such a game could introduce a werewolf supporting character who eventually becomes playable, someone who hopes Moreau can surgically remove the wolf inside him? Actually it could be more fun to draw from the film version Island of Lost Souls and feature a Panther Woman instead) and using Herbert West as a villain for another sequel opens the door to Lovecraftian elements, the Necronomicon, etc. If it was an original IP it could go in a variety of interesting directions, for sure.

While on the subject of Castlevania-esque Frankenstein games - have you seen Frankenstein: The Monster Returns on the NES?  It has the Monster as the main bad guy, complete with his power coming from an evil dimension and Dracula (or at least a Vampire with a very similar attack pattern to the Castlevania Count) under his thrall.  There's also the Dr Franken series where you control the Monster as he explores a vast castle in a Metroidvania fashion - though it's not exactly a very good series. Sorry if I sound like a commercial for Frankenstein games, I just like the idea of Frankenstein/Castlevania as well.
I've heard of the former game, still need to try that one out. I recall playing at least one of the Dr. Franken games as a kid though. I recall it was very frustrating.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2016, 05:58:38 PM by James Belmont »

Tags:

anything