Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: So what exactly is the in-game logic behind unlocking Aria's true ending?  (Read 21812 times)

Offline Holy Diver

• Have been down too long in the midnight seas
  • Vampire Hunter
  • You probably don't know what I mean tho
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
Re: So what exactly is the in-game logic behind unlocking Aria's true ending?
« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2017, 01:41:50 PM »
Wait, doesn't the stone make you a vampire WHILE you have it? Because that's what I understood to be the case -- you have the powers but are cursed while you wear the stone.
I believe it to be so.
I think I read that in some kind of an manual, but can't remember for the life of me where exactly.
Castlevania Wiki says that it bears the curse of vampirism: http://castlevania.wikia.com/wiki/Crimson_Stone
Still, I can't seem to find their sources, so I can't confirm.
Gotta get away

Offline zangetsu468

• Master Hunter
  • God bless the hustler, curse the first sleeper
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #31 on: September 04, 2017, 03:29:28 AM »
I think the general gist is that possessing the stone comes with vampirism. Providing you absorb a vampire's soul.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 04:38:20 AM by zangetsu468 »
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<[Judgement]>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

**<<<<<SuperCVIV>COTM<<<<<<<<+
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^
                                 ^      l   v  ^    +<<<<<<<BE
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^  
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     BE>>> VK<**   
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     ^          ^   
            +<<<<<Legends>HC>OOS>LOD>64       ^
            v                           l              ^                ^
            v                           l     BE>> * <<<BE    RE
            v                           l      ^               ^       ^
LOI>CVIII>COD>AR>BR>CVC>CVII>HOD>ROB>SOTN>OOE>BL>POR>AOS>DOS>>>KD
                                                                          v
                                                                         BE>*  
BE=Bad Ending
RE=Richter Ending

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: September 04, 2017, 03:59:01 AM »
Providing you absorb a vampire's soul.

I always thought this was a weird rule. Couldn't IGA have taken the opportunity to connect Lament and Aria's stories and say Mathias used the same soul stealing powers that Soma has to absorb Walter's soul. Plotwise, why is the stone even neccessary? It almost feels like Dracula's powers operate under different rules depending on the game. 

Offline zangetsu468

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: September 04, 2017, 05:00:41 AM »
I always thought this was a weird rule. Couldn't IGA have taken the opportunity to connect Lament and Aria's stories and say Mathias used the same soul stealing powers that Soma has to absorb Walter's soul. Plotwise, why is the stone even neccessary? It almost feels like Dracula's powers operate under different rules depending on the game.

They kind of do I suppose. The Crimson stone itself has ties with Alchemy, as an "object" it's arbitrary, as a plot device it's necessary because Dracula was once human. I would believe IGA didn't want Mathias being turned, because it would weaken him as a character and he'd be a lesser form of vampire from the being that turned him. With the act of absorbing the soul of a powerful vampire without having to become one prior to doing so, it solidifies his place as a mastermind in battle as a game of strategy. He manipulates everyone in the end, well, almost.

I also believe the whole scenario with Sara being turned is indicative of a weaker or lesser vampire. She can't enter Rinaldo's shack (due to the barrier) because she's tainted. Where as Rinaldo specifically states that Walter allows him to be there to help the humans that go after him. Walter, as a higher form of vampire could go into Rinaldo's shack and kill him at any time, he just chooses not to. Walter would be impervious to most attacks, even holy elements, which is evident by other hunters leaving behind weapons such as crosses and holy water.

The fact that Mathias can overthrow the strongest vampire without himself being supernaturally gifted (without the Crimson Stone) states a lot about his character. I don't understand how the soul steal technique would work as a human without some kind of occult , magical or alchemical intervention. If he simply had it, I'm not sure if buy that either as it would mean he should've absorbed Walter's soul before all the events of the game. While my impression initially was Mathias (throughout the events of LOI) could indeed still be crafting or completing the CS, which may also explain why he doesn't absorbs Joachim's soul - should one choose to view it this way.

I always believed that Dracula's "soul steal" may have come from mastering the Crimson Stone over X amount of centuries. In POR we see him actually stealing Death's soul.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 05:08:05 AM by zangetsu468 »

v
                                                                         BE>*  
BE=Bad Ending
RE=Richter Ending

Offline Holy Diver

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: September 04, 2017, 05:21:52 AM »
I don't understand how the soul steal technique would work as a human without some kind of occult , magical or alchemical intervention. If he simply had it, I'm not sure if buy that either as it would mean he should've absorbed Walter's soul before all the events of the game. While my impression initially was Mathias (throughout the events of LOI) could indeed still be crafting or completing the CS, which may also explain why he doesn't absorbs Joachim's soul - should one choose to view it this way.

I always believed that Dracula's "soul steal" may have come from mastering the Crimson Stone over X amount of centuries. In POR we see him actually stealing Death's soul.
Don't know if it's true, but I've just noticed this bit on the same page:
As it turned out, Mathias was in the midst of re-creating the gem. He then had Death absorb Walter's soul...
That would explain soul steal.
Now, about the whole "why didn't he take his soul before the game thing", I'm assuming that it's like pokemon(you have to damage it before capturing it).
Although, I'm unsure why he couldn't use Death to beat the crap out of Ronhill.
Probably because Death isn't strong enough and Mathias "knew without a doubt Leon could acomplish it".
Gotta get away

Offline zangetsu468

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: September 04, 2017, 05:25:28 AM »
Don't know if it's true, but I've just noticed this bit on the same page:That would explain soul steal.
Now, about the whole "why didn't he take his soul before the game thing", I'm assuming that it's like pokemon(you have to damage it before capturing it).
Although, I'm unsure why he couldn't use Death to beat the crap out of Ronhill.
Probably because Death isn't strong enough and Mathias "knew without a doubt Leon could acomplish it".

Yes. Mathias did use Leon, what I'm saying is being in the midst of completing the stone explains why he didn't and couldn't absorb Joachim's soul.

I do believe Walter would've had to have been significantly injured for this to happen, he has to be vulnerable. Once Leon had shattered the Ebony stone with Walter's defeat, stealing his soul was basically guaranteed.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 05:27:30 AM by zangetsu468 »

v
                                                                         BE>*  
BE=Bad Ending
RE=Richter Ending

Offline Holy Diver

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: September 04, 2017, 05:53:02 AM »
Yes. Mathias did use Leon, what I'm saying is being in the midst of completing the stone explains why he didn't and couldn't absorb Joachim's soul.

I do believe Walter would've had to have been significantly injured for this to happen, he has to be vulnerable. Once Leon had shattered the Ebony stone with Walter's defeat, stealing his soul was basically guaranteed.
Oh, sorry. Just reread it and saw what you meant.
I basically agree with most of what you said.
Still, it virtually doesn't matter if he was completing the CS before or during the game.
Cause he couldn't do it without Leon anyways.
But, nevermind that, we are too far off topic as is.
Gotta get away

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: September 05, 2017, 05:49:53 AM »
Moving on to Harmony of Dissonance. Why does the ending change depending on in which castle you fight Maxim? Why are Maxim and Lydie in two places at the same time? 

Offline zangetsu468

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: September 05, 2017, 07:43:39 AM »
Moving on to Harmony of Dissonance. Why does the ending change depending on in which castle you fight Maxim? Why are Maxim and Lydie in two places at the same time?

The Maxim's are two different entities, one is the false Maxim.

Why, because the game is based on outcomes..
How can Maria in Sotn be in about 3 places at the same time.. How come Child Link can fight Majora when the canon dictates it's always Fierce Deity Link, why did the maiden not tell Simon about Dracula's Nail.. #gamelogistics

v
                                                                         BE>*  
BE=Bad Ending
RE=Richter Ending

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place 2017-07-Sprite Contest 2nd PLace 2016-09-Sprite Contest First Place 2015 - Christmas Award First Place 2015 - Halloween Sprite Contest - Second Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« Reply #39 on: September 05, 2017, 12:01:12 PM »

Maxim is on the castle in the real world. Evil Maxim is on the bizarro castle.

Evil Maxim is trying to overcome Maxim so he can manifest in the real world. If Evil Maxim is killed before it separates from Maxim, he dies. If you manage to free Maxim from Evil Maxim, he lives.

Lydie can be taken to bizarro castle via portals, just like Death and Juste himself. So this technically isn't a problem in the logic.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2017, 12:09:44 PM by theplottwist »
The mastermind behind the "Umbra of Sorrow" project. But not the only one.

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #40 on: September 09, 2017, 08:57:54 AM »
Maxim is on the castle in the real world. Evil Maxim is on the bizarro castle.

Evil Maxim is trying to overcome Maxim so he can manifest in the real world. If Evil Maxim is killed before it separates from Maxim, he dies. If you manage to free Maxim from Evil Maxim, he lives.

Lydie can be taken to bizarro castle via portals, just like Death and Juste himself. So this technically isn't a problem in the logic.

I might not have phrased my questions very well, sorry about that. I was wondering why Evil Maxim seperates from Maxim in castle B but not in castle A. I know that this happens because Maxim notices Juste wearing the bracelet he gave him, thus giving him the strength to overcome Evil Maxim. However,  this outcome is impossible to achieve while fighting Maxim in castle A. I was wondering if there was a particular story reason for this.
Regarding my second question, I was wondering if there is a story reason for why Evil Maxim takes Lydie to the center of either castle A or B. In the game this is soley determined by the player's decision, but I don't think there's an event in the story that impacts Evil Maxim's decision about which castle he takes Lydie to. It's a minor thing but I think it's odd.         
« Last Edit: September 09, 2017, 09:00:19 AM by Nagumo »

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #41 on: September 09, 2017, 09:12:13 AM »
isn't castle B the castle "made by maxim's mind/will" or whatever?

if i'm recalling right, that might be it--the mind-castle would be more reactive to maxim's emotive state

Trøllabundin eri eg, inn í hjartarót.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #42 on: September 09, 2017, 11:12:11 AM »
If I recall correctly both castle were a creation of Maxim's will coupled with Dracula's remains. However having Dracula's remains also gave rise to a separate spirit. Thus two castle were born; one of the original Maxim and the other to house the other spirit. Death explained it better in-game  :P
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #43 on: September 09, 2017, 02:57:20 PM »
isn't castle B the castle "made by maxim's mind/will" or whatever?

if i'm recalling right, that might be it--the mind-castle would be more reactive to maxim's emotive state

The strange thing is that Maxim is only able to overcome Evil Maxim in castle B (the castle associated with Evil Maxim) and not the castle that is associated with himself. You would expect it to be the reverse.

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #44 on: September 09, 2017, 11:30:03 PM »
The strange thing is that Maxim is only able to overcome Evil Maxim in castle B (the castle associated with Evil Maxim) and not the castle that is associated with himself. You would expect it to be the reverse.

Maybe this is like a symbolic fight where you overcome your greatest fear/evil at its root.

Tags:

anything