Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Animated series reviews.  (Read 34685 times)

Offline AlexCalvo

• The man.
  • Legendary Hunter
  • No longer a jerk, but still wonderful.
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 07:33:08 PM by AlexCalvo »
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/13104670/1/Castlevania-Birth-of-the-Dragon

Dracula was not always a monster. He was once a man named Mathias Cronqvist. A flawed, conflicted, genius of a man. How did the educated, aristocratic, crusader who piously served the church become a vampire, and eventually the Dark Lord himself, the opposing force to God? From a very young age terrors and tragedy shaped the man into the king of all evil. This is his story.

Offline TatteredSeraph

• Queen of the Damned
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2017, 04:29:50 AM »
Richard Amitage and Graham McTavish were excellent as the two leads, really spot on casting imo.  Armitage's Trevor feels very fresh and new while being very familiar at the same time, and he grew on me quickly.  I really liked how it took a bit of time to let the characters develop.  I love the nods to the Belmont history, and like with Alucard, it feels like while the story at its heart is CV3, it's also drawing on from loads of later games, it felt like there were nods to Lament of Innocence.  I loved the humour in it, and while yes, there was the infamous goat scene, I think it worked for helping to set things up, adding a counterbalance to the darker scenes and weight of the first episode, which was magnificent.  Dare I say it, but it felt very British in tone, reminding me a bit of the animated adaptations of Terry Pratchett's Discworld, and one line made me want to quote Monty Python's Life of Brian.  I get why it was so short, as a origins and scene settin season, with the over arching plot heling to round it out  as a self contained season I guess.  I definitely agree o the compairsons to Vampire Hunter D, especially Bloodlust.  I loved Alucard's appearance, I like the direction they've gone with him and how the fight plays out.  I loved the nod to some of what powers he used, I mentally yelled it out when he used it.  Over all a very solid start.  I just wouldn't have complained at it being a bit longer than four episodes.
"Blood is Family. Blood is Power. Blood is Everything"

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2017, 11:04:10 AM »
+1
AWRIGHT CHUMS LET'S DO THIS

TREVOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO R BELMOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONT

(obligatory spoiler warning, don't read if you ain't seen all four yet)

Visuals:
(click to show/hide)

Music:
(click to show/hide)

Plot:
(click to show/hide)

Writing:
(click to show/hide)

Acting/Casting:
(click to show/hide)

Overall impressions:
(click to show/hide)

Grade:
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 07:06:59 PM by Dracula9 »

Trøllabundin eri eg, inn í hjartarót.

Offline GuyStarwind

• Lawful Good
  • Master Hunter
  • Shahrukh Khan is the greatest actor out there
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Crappy Brown Jacket Films
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2017, 12:01:36 PM »
Watched it this morning. Does anyone know when the other episodes are coming out?

(click to show/hide)

I liked it. I felt like there wasn't enough to give my full opinion but it will be interesting where they take it.

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2017, 12:06:02 PM »
- This will sound weird but I liked how Trevor used his whip.

Can confirm that many of the techniques he uses are actual whip techniques.

The

(click to show/hide)

Offline TatteredSeraph

• Queen of the Damned
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2017, 12:40:54 PM »
I really cannot like your review of this enough, Dracula9.  You've summed up everything that I wanted to say but don't have the energy to say (thanks to the flu).  Sometimes what someone wants isn't actually what someone actually needs.  This series to me brought fresh air and injected new life into the original timeline world.  It did what I hoped for - a melding of the original games and what came later.  The bits of backstory left vague can be added in later through the story telling.  It felt like Castlevania.  It hit so many right notes for me, including the scenes you mentioned, and I agree completely about the music.  Even the occassional bits of clunky writing to me kind of reminded me of the bits of bad, clunky writing you got in the old Hammer and Universal horror films. 
"Blood is Family. Blood is Power. Blood is Everything"

Offline Dremn

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2017, 02:08:25 PM »
I loved it, I watched the whole season twice. I need more. I didn't expect so much profanity and ultra violence but everything else felt like Castlevania to me, ending the season on the group beginning their march to Dracula's Castle has me rubbing my hands in anticipation for the second season.

(click to show/hide)

I was hoping for a classic tune in the soundtrack here and there but perhaps next time?

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2017, 03:38:32 PM »
+1
I'm going to be contrarian and say that I absolutely hated it. In my opinion, this series really doesn't deserve all the praise it's getting.

The characters design they went with are pretty good, but that's pretty much it. The designs of the secondary characters look terrible, and I think a lot of more the shoddily animated parts got intentionally left out of the trailer.

The voices didn't really sound all that great to me, either. I think Trevor's voice was completely miscast and his personality was completely off the mark. Voices of minor characters were straight up bad most of the time. Plus, they made Sypha speak with an annoying fake accent.

The lines the characters were spewing were like nails on a chalkboard and were exactly as try-hard edgy as I feared they would be. I couldn't watch these episodes without cringing every couple of minutes because it was just so unbelievably bad.

Lisa to Dracula: "You're a psychopath who impales people and displays them outside your castle, but you wouldn't be such a bad guy if you'd go out more". Why would I give a crap what happens to Dracula if he's already established as a mass murderer? The fleshing out of Dracula and Lisa's relationship was absolute shit.

I could go on but I'll leave it at this for now. I guess I give a point for the character designs of the main characters and another one for the Alucard fight.

2/10
« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 03:58:53 PM by Nagumo »

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2017, 03:48:05 PM »
+1
OH

OH GUYS

I JUST THOUGHT

DO YOU THINK WHEN TREVOR GETS REALLY DRUNK

HE RALPHS?

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2017, 04:31:59 PM »
+2
I also liked how Lisa convinced him to travel 'as a human', meaning 'by foot'.
Kinda reminds me of how he will do this to hop on a ship and go to London in the Stoker novel.

Also, the scene with the drunks at the tavern and the conversation about the goat, all I kept thinking was "You’ve got to remember that these are just simple farmers. These are people of the land. The common clay of the Old Country. You know… morons."  xD
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2017, 04:41:43 PM »
Also, the scene with the drunks at the tavern and the conversation about the goat, all I kept thinking was "You’ve got to remember that these are just simple farmers. These are people of the land. The common clay of the Old Country. You know… morons."  xD

Welcome, sonny.

Shoulda told those clergymen and those peasants not to shoot Dracula.

You never shoot Dracula. If you shoot Dracula you'll just make him mad.

Offline Laina

• F.A.N.G. stands for “fucking awful, not great”, babe - me to UZO on SFV
  • RetroDungeonite
  • Legendary Hunter
  • 大丈夫だよ!
  • Awards Lurker: Spies on from afar, rarely interacting with the general populace. Seeks to keep games/fandoms free of any changes they deem Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2017, 06:13:59 PM »
+1
I agree with Nagumo, will write more later. Two ????'s out of a herd of ten.
Groove is in the heart.

Offline VEP

• Vampire Exterminator Pixelite
  • Hunter in Training
  • Vampire Exterminator Pixelite
  • Awards Lurker: Spies on from afar, rarely interacting with the general populace. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Castlevania Legacy
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania 64 (N64)
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2017, 06:26:18 PM »
I like some of fan service, but you can never expect it to truly be pure. I do agree that they did seem to slack on lesser characters whether that was in detail or dialogue.

I did find it a nice bit of fun however overall.

I guess I thought it may have been longer for the first season. Perhaps this effort is to test the waters for future ventures. Although it may be no excuse for brevity of the first season. Maybe that's the point to leave us wanting more. A lot more?

Either way it woke me out of my slumber even if it was for but a moment.

Offline Sindra

• Lore Spelunker
  • RetroDungeonite
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards 2015-05- Digital Art Contest 1st Place The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • SindraVania Projects
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2017, 06:38:35 PM »
+1
It was flawed but entertaining.

Action animation was good, even if everything else was stiff. Dracula really being played straight as this hugely powerful creature that shouldn't be fucked with was good. The church being played as the secondary antagonists was a bit too forced. (Like, seriously, that first whole episode I was rooting for Dracula to burn everything) Trevor seemed to be a bit too jaded and sarcastic than I would have thought/liked but I'm basing that off what little characterization Curse of Darkness gave him beyond mere text in CV3. Sypha was great though played her a bit too naive I thought. No Grant, booo. Alucard was spot on in design and temperament and that fight with him and Trevor was great. No game music was a big letdown, and the original music didn't really make up for it at all. And of course, it was too short....but I'm treating it as a pilot and a test run. There were enough references to the games to satisfy me.

I'll be far more critical of season two, because then they'll be out of the testing phase and they'll need to ramp everything up.

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2017, 06:43:04 PM »
+1
It was flawed but entertaining.

I'll be far more critical of season two, because then they'll be out of the testing phase and they'll need to ramp everything up.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This for DAYS.

Tags:

anything