Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Castlevania: Umbra of Sorrow (1999 Fan Project)  (Read 453333 times)

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
Re: Castlevania: Umbra of Sorrow (1999 Fan Project)
« Reply #750 on: April 28, 2017, 11:13:46 PM »
I remember now, the dress reminds me of what Salma Hayek wore in the movie Tale of Tales!

Back on topic, I like the role you gave for Carmilla. I had to hold back a snicker when I read "Vega but not Vega".

Offline TatteredSeraph

• Queen of the Damned
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #751 on: April 29, 2017, 03:18:48 AM »
Carmilla looks absolutely amazing!  I love how her character has been retweaked to being less in your face with the sexual stuff, it makes her a stonger character for it I think, as like you say, in the source material she's more than just hot domme vamp.  It's taking her back to her roots, making things more subtle.  I'm definitely getting the Venezian Carnivale vibes off of her.  Through hiding her visage, she's controlling someone through the mystery, and makign people question what lies beneath.  Much like her machinations and scheming, fitting with her character.  Her skintone on my computer also looks almost Mediterreanean as well to me, as hey, some European skintones are actually quite dark, so I think that using the Hindu/Asian skintone idea is a good one, as like you say, it's taking her out of stereotypical super pale European vampiress territory.  I also second Shiroi's likening her dress to Hayek's dress in Tale of Tales.  I like it! :D
"Blood is Family. Blood is Power. Blood is Everything"

Offline SecretWeapon

• Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #752 on: April 29, 2017, 03:50:19 AM »
Ok, I'll make sure to credit him. And yes, LeFanu didnt write a sadist dominatrix, he wrote a noblewoman that wasn't even outright lesbian-ing (although pretty close enough).

If i recall correctly, Sypha in Judgement blames monsters (like Carmilla) not her outright (although C's specific mention of the witch hunts does seem to imply she had a direct hand on it), thats why i say "headcanon" instead canon.

Are we breaking into Carmilla's wedding?   ;D I wanted to see Laura because i wanted to include her in the drawing (I already visualized an idea i like) but you can't reveal her yet, fine  ;D

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #753 on: April 30, 2017, 12:17:29 AM »
+2

have some boring ass physics and collision and whatnot mechanics with all them placeholder grafiks

because i wuv u

« Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 12:19:57 AM by Dracula9 »

Trøllabundin eri eg, inn í hjartarót.

Offline Foffy

• Legendary Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #754 on: April 30, 2017, 12:53:41 AM »
I figure the afterglow is to emulate Alucard stuff? ;)

That looks a m a z i n g.

Are the dragon candles new assets, or are they actually placeholders too?
« Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 01:17:26 AM by Foffy »

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place 2017-07-Sprite Contest 2nd PLace 2016-09-Sprite Contest First Place 2015 - Christmas Award First Place 2015 - Halloween Sprite Contest - Second Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« Reply #755 on: April 30, 2017, 01:12:01 PM »
+1
I figure the afterglow is to emulate Alucard stuff? ;)

In this engine demo, it's not. D9 has already reproduced THE Alucard effect, and it's perfect. This effect was added for other purposes.

Are the dragon candles new assets, or are they actually placeholders too?

They're new assets. Still rough around the edges, but are new. They first appeared on a Sprite Contest at this Dungeon, and we decided to incorporate them into the project.
The mastermind behind the "Umbra of Sorrow" project. But not the only one.

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
« Reply #756 on: May 01, 2017, 09:03:10 AM »
+3
lightsource update

Offline Foffy

• Legendary Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
« Reply #757 on: May 01, 2017, 09:34:49 AM »
That looks much better!

I'm getting a Adventure ReBirth sort of vibe with the close lighting around the player character. I just hope we don't fight super easy blob minibosses though. ;)

Offline Chernabogue

• Abaddon's Student
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2017-02-Music Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Music Contest 2nd Place 2015-03-Sprite Contest Silver Award 2015-02-Music Contest Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 (PS3/X360)
« Reply #758 on: May 03, 2017, 10:55:18 AM »
+2
I just did one of the craziest remixes ever for that project. Thanks aensland and plot for challenging me lol

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
    • Awards
« Reply #759 on: May 05, 2017, 02:36:31 AM »
+2
Do y'all like Super Metroid map mechanics?

I hope so  ;)
« Last Edit: May 05, 2017, 01:33:39 PM by Dracula9 »

Offline Foffy

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #760 on: May 05, 2017, 04:20:09 PM »
Do y'all like Super Metroid map mechanics?

I hope so  ;)

Does the map cover parts you traverse upon like usual Castlevania and Metroid games, or does entering a room give you the map for the whole room like Lecarde Chronicles 2 does?

I assume you're aiming for the former, but if you're bringing up Super Metroid..there may be some expectations ;)

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place 2017-07-Sprite Contest 2nd PLace 2016-09-Sprite Contest First Place 2015 - Christmas Award First Place 2015 - Halloween Sprite Contest - Second Place
    • Awards
« Reply #761 on: May 05, 2017, 04:35:59 PM »
Does the map cover parts you traverse upon like usual Castlevania and Metroid games, or does entering a room give you the map for the whole room like Lecarde Chronicles 2 does?

I assume you're aiming for the former, but if you're bringing up Super Metroid..there may be some expectations ;)

The comparison with Metroid was due to the scrolling. Our map will be a bit too big to fit in one screen (like Metroid), so scrolling is now a thing, like Lament did.

The map covers only where you traverse upon, like actual Castlevania games. This is one key point of backtracking mechanics: covering the area that a player should be expected to explore later only causes the exploration to get more confusing. If there is a place within a large room that is too high to reach now, that place should give an indication for the player to return later.

Lecarde Chronicles 2 worked well with its map system by shaping backtracking around the issue. For instance, by having the actual collectables that you can only reach later many times be in an entirely new room instead of being on a room you already explored, it made you return to look for new rooms, not new items, and end up finding new items as a result of that. But Umbra is taking an approach more similar to Castlevanias and keeping how it did maps.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2017, 04:40:09 PM by theplottwist »

Offline ProjectDread

• Vampire Hunter
  • Nightmare Class Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #762 on: May 06, 2017, 08:07:20 PM »
It's really cool seeing how much effort you guys are putting into this project, it really shows!
How did you guys manage to rip those SotN tiles? I haven't found an effective way to do that yet.

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
    • Awards
« Reply #763 on: May 07, 2017, 05:07:33 AM »
It's really cool seeing how much effort you guys are putting into this project, it really shows!
How did you guys manage to rip those SotN tiles? I haven't found an effective way to do that yet.

You can find many of these here, or assembled on VGMaps.

Many tilesets exist(ed) over the long-gone Anapan site. I don't remember anymore what was the address but I remember that I couldn't access it anymore last time I tried to visit it.

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
    • Awards
« Reply #764 on: May 12, 2017, 09:45:21 AM »
+2
Who likes sexy fire?

I like sexy fire.

Tags: 1999 Awes