Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Animated series reviews.  (Read 34417 times)

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place 2017-07-Sprite Contest 2nd PLace 2016-09-Sprite Contest First Place 2015 - Christmas Award First Place 2015 - Halloween Sprite Contest - Second Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« Reply #90 on: July 11, 2017, 03:33:54 PM »
+1
I honestly don't care that he has a different opinion about how the Castlevania "lore" should be represented in a cartoon show, I think everyone is free to think what they do. But there's really no reason to take up such a patronizing tone in his way of addressing me directly just because I dared calling Castlevania 3 light on storytelling...

You didn't "dared calling Castlevania 3 light on storytelling". You specifically responded TheTextGuy in a patronizing tone, making suppositions about his mindset, ("Because it includes characters that are not in the pretty much story-less 2D action game?") reducing his argument to an absurd premise to make his opinion look silly, due to him daring to say this adaptation is a loose adaptation in regards with the original material (which is not an inherently bad thing, I repeat, but he is correct in that it is really loose).

And then, when someone appeared to tell you how loose it is and to show that TheTextGuy and Inccubus both have grounds on their opinion, you started deflecting. I'm not some judge, don't misunderstand me as saying that -- I'm just requesting a modicum of honesty. When they said the show is loose on its adaptation, why didn't you ask them to explain this to you instead of trying to debunk them with your "Because it includes characters that are not in the pretty much story-less 2D action game?"

And I'm not having any "tones" with you, chill out. Search the ruckus I cause with people on this forum, and you'll see I'm acting civil to you. I not once crucified you for liking the show as it is, did I? I didn't because there is ZERO shame in liking the show the precise way it is.

I'm just pointing out that YOUR correcting of TheTextGuy is flawed, because he is correct on the assertion that the adaptation is really loose. You implied his opinion is silly, and now I'm here flat out telling your rebuking of him is sillier. You can like the show however it is, you just don't get to act like your opinion of "how much plot there is originally" is objectivelly correct.

Also, you don't know how I think the game should've been adapted or what are my final thoughts on the show, the actual product out now for everyone. Search a review from me. You won't find one.

And, I love it when people say that I have a canon lol You guys do realize I'm not Konami, right?
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 04:01:30 PM by theplottwist »
The mastermind behind the "Umbra of Sorrow" project. But not the only one.

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #91 on: July 11, 2017, 03:38:02 PM »
+2
Consider that the patronizing is almost entirely the result of people constantly treating the man like shit because he has a different opinion. For a very long time. Over the same shit he's explained someplace or another too many times already.

Gets a bit wearisome after a while, and when you have massive groups of people (on places other than the Dungeon) going after and shitting on him for the exact reasons of "I KNOW JUST AS MUCH AS YOU DO (when they actually don't) AND YOU'RE WRONG BECAUSE I SAY SO FUCK OFF" I stipulated...

...well, it becomes easy to see why he's gone a bit spikey over the whole ordeal.

Does this justify any possible or perceived rude behavior? No, but that's not to say all accusations of such have been correct.

Does this provide a very rational and reasonable context for why he might be sick of having his integrity/knowledge/general character/whatever else questioned over the very same things he's got large quantities of people attacking him for elsewhere? Absolutely.

It's very simply a case of the following:

-series has largely overwhelmingly positive reception, both from the fanbase and various coverage sites writing articles and the like about it
-some fans disagree with the show's quality and feel the nature of its reception is somewhat misguided due to the issues they perceive within the show
-these fans (to put it very bluntly) are the minority in all of this, and simply want to voice their concerns and maybe vent some of their frustrations
-these voicings seem to get swallowed by the praising reception, which agitates them further
-when these voicings DO get heard, many reactions from the others camp(s) have largely been antagonistic towards them
-so combine antagonism of the "HOW DARE YOU DISAGREE" with the large swathes of fans with a positive reception of the series, and you get a pile-on

So now this minority of fans is not only having to deal with their voices going unheard because of sheer volume ratio, and antagonism by the fans who enjoy the series but can't fathom the concept of it being anything but their perfect wet dream (differentiating here, as obviously there are show fans who disagree with the outcrier fans but aren't taking it negatively and respecting their opinions as such), they ALSO have to deal with the simple fact that if they dare to voice their opinions in the wrong place at the wrong time they will more or less be dogpiled and beaten back into a corner by the wave of fans who don't see their differing opinions as anything more than slander on their precious show.

Do note that I do indeed recognize the difference in the fans here, but am citing the rabid "it's perfect and nothing can convince me otherwise" ones because I've got firsthand experience witnessing mobs of exactly this kind of fan going after Plot over this. I'm not accusing anyone in this thread of being such a fan, only providing context as to the probable reason(s) he and others gotten a bit prickly over all this.

And again, I'm not justifying any wrongdoing on anyone's part. I don't personally think Plot's been remotely as spikey or rude as I've seen him get before, but I am aware that my perception is not equivalent to your own and that you may perceive more rudeness than may have been intended. As a result, I'm just trying to provide context here for why he's in this frame of mind so that hopefully those on the receiving end can have a bit more understanding of why, since understanding a person's frame of mind makes conversing with them easier to undertake.

Trøllabundin eri eg, inn í hjartarót.

Offline piscesdreams

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #92 on: July 11, 2017, 04:53:47 PM »
While I agree to your firsts sentence, that doesn't mean Castlevania will be an exception not to use any of it's iconic music in animated adaptation. We could say the same thing with Street Fighter II which has an excellent yet iconic music for each fighters but none of their themes was used in the animated movie version both in Japanese and American version(Same thing as the animated movie version of Street Fighter Zero). Fatal Fury OVAs and Motion Picture is another example, although one track has a hint of Tung Fu Rue's theme in the first OVA, the rest are original tracks. Samurai Shodown too which none of the character's themes was used in the Motion Picture and the two part OVA.

I've never seen those so I wasn't aware, but I'd say the same thing: why didn't they use any of the music?  I'm not saying litter and spam it all over the place, but why not use it? Same thing here.

Offline Aiddon

• Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #93 on: July 11, 2017, 05:59:14 PM »
I've never seen those so I wasn't aware, but I'd say the same thing: why didn't they use any of the music?  I'm not saying litter and spam it all over the place, but why not use it? Same thing here.

Probably because it's very hard to balance homage staying true to the original track while also giving it an identity of its own. It's similar to how despite the show being loaded with neat little Easter eggs those are just Easter eggs fit into the narrative where it makes sense. We have another season on the way, so it's possible they'll get Morris to maybe research the games' soundtracks to bring it more in line with the 'Vania stuff.

Anyway, the AVGN himself has a few words to say:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=no6x0KCOAU4

Offline Sindra

• Lore Spelunker
  • RetroDungeonite
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards 2015-05- Digital Art Contest 1st Place The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • SindraVania Projects
    • Awards
« Reply #94 on: July 11, 2017, 06:41:12 PM »
+1
Yeah, James pretty much nails what my takeaway was when I first finished the season. I was happy it didn't suck.....but something felt missing. Only having 4 episodes to dig into and knowing the meat of things are yet to come was part of it, but I still felt something was being left out that was keeping me from being more excited about what I'd just seen, and I figured out it was the lack of series music. Maybe if they'd had "Nightmare" very quietly playing in the background as Trevor and Sypha were leading up to Alucard's crypt, or "Rising" or "Riddle" playing subtly during the Trevor/Alucard fight I would have walked away feeling a lot more jazzed than I did.

Again, I'm beating an undead horse here, I know. It was just interesting James had the same thoughts I did.

Offline Shinobi

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #95 on: July 11, 2017, 10:01:47 PM »
+1

Maybe I'm a minority here but after we've heard tons of fan and official remixes of Castlevania tunes already, I find it annoying if they use it again on the animated series which while it was indeed based from Castlevania 3, it still trying to have an identity as it's own like Aiddon pointed out.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 10:05:36 PM by Shinobi »

Offline AlexCalvo

• The man.
  • Legendary Hunter
  • No longer a jerk, but still wonderful.
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #96 on: July 12, 2017, 04:33:40 AM »
I think everyone should stop trying to enforce their opinions on others, and people really need to tone down the persecution complexes.  We don't need to explain to people why they are wrong about what they do and don't like, and no one has suffered some kind of psychological trauma because their opinion is in the minority, calm down people.  I brought up the church issue as a response to people who were upset about the church's portrayel, I was just explaining why making the church seem evil is not out rageous in and of itself.  If someone doesn't like it because it is not how it was presented in the original NES game that's fine, and definitely justified, and while I don't agree with how loose of an adaptation some claim this series to be,  everyone is entitled to their own opinion.
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/13104670/1/Castlevania-Birth-of-the-Dragon

Dracula was not always a monster. He was once a man named Mathias Cronqvist. A flawed, conflicted, genius of a man. How did the educated, aristocratic, crusader who piously served the church become a vampire, and eventually the Dark Lord himself, the opposing force to God? From a very young age terrors and tragedy shaped the man into the king of all evil. This is his story.

Offline Chernabogue

• Abaddon's Student
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2017-02-Music Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Music Contest 2nd Place 2015-03-Sprite Contest Silver Award 2015-02-Music Contest Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 (PS3/X360)
« Reply #97 on: July 12, 2017, 04:58:48 AM »
Maybe I'm a minority here but after we've heard tons of fan and official remixes of Castlevania tunes already, I find it annoying if they use it again on the animated series which while it was indeed based from Castlevania 3, it still trying to have an identity as it's own like Aiddon pointed out.
I agree with that. It's trying to do its own thing -- even if it didn't succeed in creating good themes. I rewatched the series (in a different language to check the dub's quality) and paid more attention to the music this time. It's far from memorable (even less than LoS, which still had memorable tunes) but it does the job, fits in every scene (even if some choirs sound very synth-y) and doesn't distract too much from the action/exposition. It's maybe "random epic orchestra tune #43" but it fits well, IMO. Let's just hope season 2 brings distinct and memorable themes.

Offline Aiddon

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #98 on: July 12, 2017, 08:16:17 AM »
+2

The thing is I still think they could have worked one of the Big Three (Vampire Killer, Bloody Tears, Beginning) into the series, but only if their inclusion fit the scene they were put in. We also have to face reality in that the fanservice must serve the narrative, not the other way around.

Anyway, Zac Bertschy from AnimeNewsNetwork gives his opinion:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/review/castlevania/.118704

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #99 on: July 12, 2017, 12:22:25 PM »
James Rolfe (from AVGN) says what he thinks:

(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline GuyStarwind

• Lawful Good
  • Master Hunter
  • Shahrukh Khan is the greatest actor out there
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Crappy Brown Jacket Films
    • Awards
« Reply #100 on: July 12, 2017, 02:13:54 PM »
+1
^^
I liked the show but I do agree with AVGN's statement about SotN being the definitive (I think that's the word I'm looking for) CV game. I love SotN but those classic games are still my number one choice. Once again I did enjoy the show.

Offline Shinobi

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #101 on: July 12, 2017, 06:00:56 PM »
The thing is I still think they could have worked one of the Big Three (Vampire Killer, Bloody Tears, Beginning) into the series, but only if their inclusion fit the scene they were put in. We also have to face reality in that the fanservice must serve the narrative, not the other way around.

Those big three was already remixed a bazillion times already in officials games even just inserts on a different tracks like in the music where Soma and Mina already escaped from lunar eclipse in the best ending of Aria of Sorrow, the ending of Lament Of Innocence, and the narration intro of Order of Ecclesia, they felt way too forced rather than a natural part of the music so I'll surely feel the same way if the animated series did the same thing. The Live Action Hymn of Blood series already tried that with Vampire Killer in one of the ending credits and for some reason sounded out of place from the overall tone of the live action series.

The only fanservice that totally fits is some of the situations and background characters from the actual games like Sypha was mistaken as a man, Alucard's teleport sword, Trevor hitting the poles to climb up as seen in Lament of Innocence, even LOS reference where Trevor balance himself while walking on the poles.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 06:08:41 PM by Shinobi »

Offline AlexCalvo

• The man.
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
« Reply #102 on: July 13, 2017, 05:21:10 AM »

Dracula was not always a monster. He was once a man named Mathias Cronqvist. A flawed, conflicted, genius of a man. How did the educated, aristocratic, crusader who piously served the church become a vampire, and eventually the Dark Lord himself, the opposing force to God? From a very young age terrors and tragedy shaped the man into the king of all evil. This is his story.

Offline AlexCalvo

• The man.
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #103 on: July 13, 2017, 07:32:16 PM »

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #104 on: July 14, 2017, 10:03:01 AM »
Nice review  ;)
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Tags: