Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Anyone Notice that Malice Mizer Did Castlevania better than Castlevania?  (Read 6305 times)

Offline KaZudra

• Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-04-Story Contest - 2nd Place Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)

How Simon Would Actually look like in the late 1600's

Now, the first thing that came to mind was this....

I might reboot this into a full blown "What if they looked accurate to timeline" Deal.
Mozart Richter, Monty Python's Holy Grail Leon, Mafia John Morris, Boy Band Julius (LMAO)

"I ain't gonna let it get to me I'm just gonna let it get to me" -Knuckles

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
Mozart Richter, Monty Python's Holy Grail Leon, Mafia John Morris, Boy Band Julius (LMAO)

That'll be bad ,lol. I think Simon is good as he is (Not the pretty boy Kojima designed). He's not of nobility and wouldn't exactly be wearing anything fanciful. He's a warrior first and foremost and therefore would want to sport clothing that would allow for quick movements. While the barbarian look is not accurate I'll admit, his attire might be that of wool, fur, leather, linen, and canvas depending. And I seriously doubt he'd wear the wig. That thing's just f**king tacky  :P
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline aensland

• Vampire Hunter
  • Awards 2018-06 Music Concert 1st Place 2017-02-Music Contest 1st Place
    • Awards
To be fair, not even a single Belmont had period clothing, the "closest" thing is Simon's attire in Castlevania II (kinda looks like an actual romanian warrior)

And also Mana strayed a lot in his costume design during that era...

Offline TatteredSeraph

• Queen of the Damned
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
What cracks me up on this is that the song that this pic of Malice Mizer is for is called 'Gekka no Yasoukyoku' - the Japanese name for SotN.  INterestingly as well, Gackt donned an outfit that is pretty much an Alucard cosplay.  Heck, this is how I discovered Malice Mlzer, and thus Visual Kei in the first place. 

I'd also say that Versailles is rather Castlevania-y in their costumes.

"Blood is Family. Blood is Power. Blood is Everything"

Offline KaZudra

• Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-04-Story Contest - 2nd Place Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
To be fair, not even a single Belmont had period clothing, the "closest" thing is Simon's attire in Castlevania II (kinda looks like an actual romanian warrior)

And also Mana strayed a lot in his costume design during that era...

To it's credit, SOTN Richter is fairly accurate with liberties

"I ain't gonna let it get to me I'm just gonna let it get to me" -Knuckles

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
Juste also was more era accurate. My only complaint was him looking too much like Alucard. John Morris had era-accurate cloths as well.
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline zangetsu468

• Master Hunter
  • God bless the hustler, curse the first sleeper
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
Juste also was more era accurate. My only complaint was him looking too much like Alucard.

I think the Alucardish look was playing on SOTN's iconicism with Alucard the fact that HoD (at least in philosophy; 2 castles etc) was more like SOTN than almost any other CV handheld.

I always though Juste inherited Leon's features. 
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<[Judgement]>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

**<<<<<SuperCVIV>COTM<<<<<<<<+
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^
                                 ^      l   v  ^    +<<<<<<<BE
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^  
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     BE>>> VK<**   
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     ^          ^   
            +<<<<<Legends>HC>OOS>LOD>64       ^
            v                           l              ^                ^
            v                           l     BE>> * <<<BE    RE
            v                           l      ^               ^       ^
LOI>CVIII>COD>AR>BR>CVC>CVII>HOD>ROB>SOTN>OOE>BL>POR>AOS>DOS>>>KD
                                                                          v
                                                                         BE>*  
BE=Bad Ending
RE=Richter Ending

Offline MooMilk

• Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure (GB)
That's what somebody would look like then, that don't mean Simon would look like that. Far as we know Simon didn't have a manor house and live and dress lavishly. I don't know if Simon belmont whipping candles and finding money in them is really canon. So he could be working class.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
That's what somebody would look like then, that don't mean Simon would look like that. Far as we know Simon didn't have a manor house and live and dress lavishly. I don't know if Simon belmont whipping candles and finding money in them is really canon. So he could be working class.

True. Very true. He's a warrior/vampire hunter, and did not waste his time with upper class pleasantries. He was too busy training and working his body into shape. Most likely physical labor or perhaps an apprentice to a blacksmith.

Offline chainsawmidget

• that guy
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
Re: Anyone Notice that Malice Mizer Did Castlevania better than Castlevania?
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2016, 02:56:36 PM »
If that's being historically accurate, then I'm glad they went a different direction.   

Offline TheouAegis

• Amateur Auteur of GMvania
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • GMvania Developer's Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2016, 04:11:34 AM »
Simon was either French, German, or Romanian. If he was French, he wouldn't be wearing frilly nobleman clothes, because they're not meant for fighting. What I find most odd about his sprite is how little attire he seems to wear. He is clearly wearing a tunic or shirt, but it appears to be a short-sleeved shirt and short-sleeves were not that popular from all the images I saw on Google (in any country). Body armor (like in his cover art) was certainly around then, but his bare skin is odd. He does clearly look like a 16th or 17th century peasant or lower infantry in his early sprites, though. His cover artwork is where the flaws are, not his sprites.
Your mom has had more floppies put in her than a Commodore 64!

Follow my lack of progress on my game at my blog:
http://gmvania.blogspot.com

Offline EstebanT

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2016, 01:05:40 PM »
Well Mana supposedly made a Castlevania track at some point but it never came out outside japan.
I tried asking Iga about it during one of his AMAs but predictably he didn't answer.

Offline aensland

• Vampire Hunter
  • Awards 2018-06 Music Concert 1st Place 2017-02-Music Contest 1st Place
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2016, 02:30:15 PM »
Well Mana supposedly made a Castlevania track at some point
It was just a ringtone (now lost) called "La nuit blanche"

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2016, 10:31:02 PM »
here's something I got off of google. From Bukovina,

and from Transylvania

given Simon is a warrior, not a nobleman, he isnt gonna wear normal clothes, so I'd take something in between the soldiers up top and the guy on the left in the bottom pic.

Also, both Malice Mizer and Versailles, (gothic Visual kei in general mostly) tend to borrow heavily from French Baroque. English 17th century for example, is fairly different, and not nearly as ridiculously elaborate

Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Tags: