Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Animated series, beyond season 2.  (Read 6781 times)

Offline AlexCalvo

• The man.
  • Legendary Hunter
  • No longer a jerk, but still wonderful.
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« on: July 18, 2017, 11:47:10 AM »
*UPDATE*
My article got picked up by Now Loading
https://nowloading.co/p/netflix-castlevania-whats-after-season-2/4319961

What do you guys think?  Where is it most likely to go?  Where would you like it to go?  How do you imagine the different stories from the games would be presented, given the style of the animated series?
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 12:55:41 PM by AlexCalvo »
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/13104670/1/Castlevania-Birth-of-the-Dragon

Dracula was not always a monster. He was once a man named Mathias Cronqvist. A flawed, conflicted, genius of a man. How did the educated, aristocratic, crusader who piously served the church become a vampire, and eventually the Dark Lord himself, the opposing force to God? From a very young age terrors and tragedy shaped the man into the king of all evil. This is his story.

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place 2017-07-Sprite Contest 2nd PLace 2016-09-Sprite Contest First Place 2015 - Christmas Award First Place 2015 - Halloween Sprite Contest - Second Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2017, 02:23:11 PM »
I'd be willing to make a few guesses (Lisa is gonna be further expanded through flashbacks, Grant is initially a human villain commanding other rebels), but Ellis said he's gonna be excentric.

The only thing I wish is for Alucard to not end up killing Dracula. As for the rest, I don't have the slightest idea and I don't care that much.
The mastermind behind the "Umbra of Sorrow" project. But not the only one.

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2017, 02:43:11 PM »
+2
I'm willing to bet not a single thing from LoI will be referenced. Instead, I think that line about Trevor's great-grandfather was supposed to be a hint about how the Belmonts family and Dracula are related in this universe. If the series continues past season 2 I think Ellis is just going to do his own thing. Perhaps he's going to adapt certain events from the IGA timeline but he's going to put his own spin on it. Basically how the MCU sometimes adapts comic book arcs but is still separate from the comics.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 02:45:17 PM by Nagumo »

Offline Guy Belmont

• Vampire Hunter
  • Master Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2017, 04:23:45 PM »
I can't say much as but what I can say is that I think that the Vampire Killer is going to have a new backstory.
Last son of family Belmont.

https://thebelmonthold.home.blog/

Offline Aiddon

• Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2017, 04:46:56 PM »
Going game by game:

-LoI: Fairly likely to show up as it's the very start of the whole canon and transformed the timeline into a multigenerational epic about a blood feud started between Leon and Mathias. It gives a whole new layer to Dracula's relationship with the Belmonts. I could see it as a whole season or at least its storyline being talked about in a season, maybe have a Belmont (like Simon) learning about the history of his clan's founder.

-CoD: Can't really see it being its own thing, but I wouldn't be surprised if elements from it show up in Season 2 due to Hector and Isaac's relationship with Dracula.

-Adventure: Really thin plot so I can't see this happening.

-Simon's Games: Might as well adapt the first games for completion's sake. I think rolling the original and Simon's Quest into one game could work, maybe having the first episode be Simon wasting Dracula and then having to deal with his curse for the rest of the season.

-HoD: This can be comfortably skipped. Good game, but it can best be described as "My stupid friend did something stupid"

-Dracula X Chronicles: This is a no brainer. Most popular title in the series and one of more involved plots. A bigger cast too, you could even have it as a sort of generational reprisal with Richter, Maria, and Alucard. Of course I'd want them to not just skip to SotN, but do RoB to give Richter and Maria a proper introduction before letting Alucard headline.

-OoE: I would like to see this, but not sure how likely it is. It would be neat to see how the world would deal with a Dracula threat with neither the Belmonts nor Alucard around.

-Bloodlines/PoR: Dracula in the World Wars could be neat settings, especially with Bloodlines being a globetrotting adventure (maybe do something like out of Indiana Jones) while PoR could give Jonathan some angst due to his father dying from the Vampire Killer.

-Sorrow: This is a must adapt as its the capstone to the timeline what with Dracula being defeated and how the world deals with such a vacuum, especially when he's been reborn as a clueless kid

I think another thing that could mix things up is not going linearly, but jumping around the timeline a bit, showing just how busy this mythology is.

Offline AlexCalvo

• The man.
  • Legendary Hunter
  • No longer a jerk, but still wonderful.
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2017, 12:49:45 PM »
So my article got picked up by Now Loading.  ;D
https://nowloading.co/p/netflix-castlevania-whats-after-season-2/4319961

I'm willing to bet not a single thing from LoI will be referenced. Instead, I think that line about Trevor's great-grandfather was supposed to be a hint about how the Belmonts family and Dracula are related in this universe. If the series continues past season 2 I think Ellis is just going to do his own thing. Perhaps he's going to adapt certain events from the IGA timeline but he's going to put his own spin on it. Basically how the MCU sometimes adapts comic book arcs but is still separate from the comics.

You know, while I wouldn't be shocked if it went that way, given my own interactions with Adi Shankar on social media I know that he really is a fan of the series.  And now that future seasons will be built from the ground up squarely under his watch I don't think it will deviate quite as much from the source material as you seem to.  I think the comment about Trevor's great grandfather was just to explain how Trevor knew what the inside of the castle looked like, I never got the impression that it was a reference to the origin of the Belmont/Dracula relationship.  I doubt they will be as loose as the MCU, but somewhere between that and a beat for beat interpretation.

I also think Ellis' comments about moving away from the canon is just in the fact that now we'll actually see the events of the game play out, and they will have to be edited significantly in order to be more than 180 minute action sequence.  Everything we've seen so far has been pre-game, basically them telling their own story in the world.  So it couldn't really conflict with anything, given that it took place before the game.  And yes I know about Japanese manuel translations, but I doubt Ellis does, and to be honest I don't think he really needs to.

The Belmonts are cleary legendary, heroic monster hunters, exiled, driven to the fringes of society.  They wield a powerful whip, as well as swords and other edged weapons.  Contain vast, passed down knowledge for dealing with supernatural creatures.

Dracula is a powerful Vampire sorcerer with an army of monsters and frightening castle riddled with death traps.  He's waging war on humanity for killing his wife Lisa for witchcraft.

Alucard is Dracula and Lisa's son, a powerful swordsman, who tests Trevor Belmont to make sure he is ready to take the fight to Dracula.  Trevor even mistakes him for Dracula at first, as many people did Alucard in Cv3, when the game first came out.  What an incredible reference.

Yeah Sypha's background was changed, but personally I thought a mage within a group of gypsy/monks makes a lot more sense than a witch working for the medieval church.  She was still the blue clad, elemental magic user from the game.

The writing was very good, and that was Warren Ellis' job.  I'm sure some of you disagree, but the vast consensus is that he nailed it.  At ;east from a storytelling perspective.  I trust Shankar to keep it in line with the games from this point forward.  Especially given what we now know about his history with this project. https://www.polygon.com/tv/2017/7/11/15952898/castlevania-live-action-adaptation-netflix
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 12:55:26 PM by AlexCalvo »
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/13104670/1/Castlevania-Birth-of-the-Dragon

Dracula was not always a monster. He was once a man named Mathias Cronqvist. A flawed, conflicted, genius of a man. How did the educated, aristocratic, crusader who piously served the church become a vampire, and eventually the Dark Lord himself, the opposing force to God? From a very young age terrors and tragedy shaped the man into the king of all evil. This is his story.

Offline Dremn

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2017, 02:01:41 PM »
I wouldn't be too excited if they adapted Curse of Darkness after Dracula's Curse. I'd like to see them adapt all the original games first, up to SotN.

Ideally I'd like to see all the Belmont's stories adapted into the series, and past SotN it would be cool to see Bloodlines and Order of Ecclesia adapted as well.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 02:19:02 PM by OSM »

Offline Chernabogue

• Abaddon's Student
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2017-02-Music Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Music Contest 2nd Place 2015-03-Sprite Contest Silver Award 2015-02-Music Contest Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 (PS3/X360)
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2017, 02:15:13 PM »
I wouldn't be too excited if they adapted Curse of Darkness after Dracula's Curse. I'd like to see them adapt all the original games first, up to SotN.
This. With Trevor still around, it's the perfect transition before they go on SotN with Alucard.

Offline affinity

• Legendary Hunter
  • Awards Will make a staunch stand on one subject and never, ever budge. The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2017, 06:02:29 PM »
Season 2 should be totally action packed and platform based.   have them travel together and have hordes and bosses to fight.

Grant should be a boss in the the clocktower, and after they turn back to human, they could help fight enemies for a while. 

Also Ellis is wrong, Grant is not a pirate, but a former pirate that moved inland.

http://castlevania.wikia.com/wiki/Grant_Danasty

and also has a descendant, Michelle

http://castlevania.wikia.com/wiki/Michelle_Danasty

Also they can have the animated series pronounce that family name as "Day-nuhsty" / "Day-nuh-sty", so people dont start with dirty thoughts.

2nd season should be more Castlevania, and Castlevania is more action than talk.    the only "peaceful" moments should be at Lisa's execution ground, and when they face Dracula.   Too much characterization and socializing in a Castlevania just drags down the overall feel. 

the previous 4 episodes already established the characters backgrounds, so leave diplomacy in town and start wrecking hordes all the way towards and up the castle.

Offline Dremn

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2017, 01:04:40 PM »

Small update on Season 2, interview with Adi Shankar.

Offline Dremn

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2017, 05:12:46 PM »

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2017, 08:03:06 PM »
+1
People have said that doing a Simon story would be boring because his story is the most generic.

I think there's plenty of potential there if you lump CV1 together with CV2.

Think about it: The Belmonts become renown after Trevor defeats Dracula. They are heralded as heroes, and have fought the forces of evil and Dracula's forces for several generations already.

So Simon is cocky and arrogant, because he knows he's good, takes for granted that he can defeat Dracula, and isn't as scared of his power as he should be. He defeats Dracula and becomes famous. In his arrogance and ignorance, he does not realize that Dracula has cursed him, until nearly a decade later, when he realizes that he is wasting away and weakening, and his wounds heal slower, if at all.

And that is basically the prologue, so the series proper, can revolve around CV2's plot. Realizing his arrogance and lack of care resulted in his very life being in jeopardy, he is humbled and brought down a peg.

and that's how you make the CV1 story interesting as a series
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline redrum

• Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2017, 08:47:35 PM »
the Dracula X saga would be absolutely perfect for this...

Offline The Puritan

• Vagabond
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2017, 02:03:21 AM »
I just hope that if they adapt Bloodlines or Portrait of Ruin, people will actually talk like they did in those time periods. I don't think people said "snake fuckingly crazy" back in the 1400s.

Offline BloodyShadowoftheDarkness

• I don't even know how I came up with this name
  • What a horrible night to have a curse...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2017, 01:57:25 PM »
Like many people mentioned, I would really enjoy if they adapted more games in the series.
I think they could go with Simon's story first (CV1 and 2), since he's basically one of the most famous Belmonts, that would attract even more people to this series.
Then they could go with Leon, then finally to Rondo of Blood and Symphony of the Night.
Not even necessarily in that order.
As long as direct sequels (as opposed to distant sequels) are in the right order, I would be completely satisfied.
The morning sun has vanquished the horrible night.

Tags: