Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Castlevania 64 and Legacy of Darkness are the greatest in series  (Read 14456 times)

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
Re: Castlevania 64 and Legacy of Darkness are the greatest in series
« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2017, 04:03:19 PM »
I have never complained about anachronistic elements in a CV game, so Motorcycle Skeletons are alright by me, haha.
And yes, do not twitch with that analog stick in the gears room.

I remember you spamming the IRC channel with the N64 text dump:
"Powerful magic moves the Elevator".
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline redrum

• Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2017, 02:45:53 PM »
in an ideal world, powerful magic would move ALL of the elevators

also, why isn't the motorcycle skeleton riding THIS?
« Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 02:48:39 PM by redrum »

Offline Sephirous

• Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2017, 05:39:32 PM »
+1
Deleted
« Last Edit: October 12, 2020, 11:22:56 AM by Sephirous »

Offline DoctaMario

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: July 17, 2017, 08:59:59 PM »
I always loved these games. To me, they nailed the atmosphere and feel of Castlevania better than almost anything that came after them. They had stellar level design (especially CV64, whose levels I prefer to LoD's), some that emphasized more combat, some more exploration, some platforming, and some that were a mix of all those.

I loved being able to look through the character's eyes through the 1st person view. It was the first time where you got a sense of how huge and terrifying the Castlevania world could be and these games kept me on the edge of my seat pretty much every time I played them. I literally spent hours just exploring the levels in first person view because there was so much to look at, and there were a lot of cool little details that you might miss if you didn't.

I get why people have a hard time with them, but getting used to the controls and the camera doesn't take but a level or two and once you're used to them, you don't even notice them. The  plusses of these games heavily outweigh the minuses imo, and if I were to nominate any CV games for a remake that will never happen, a CV64/LoD Complete Edition would be at the top of my list. Everyone says "Oh, Castlevania isn't good in 3d" but that's bullshit. If you give these games a chance, you'll realize they got it right the first time, not without a few flaws, but they really got a lot right with these games. To this day I still think they're the best 3D CV ever got and possibly ever will get.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: July 18, 2017, 12:01:35 AM »
+1
^^^^
The Docta is in da house  8)
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline theANdROId

• Master Hunter
  • Raiding the Castle's Treasure Room...
  • Awards 2014-12-FoodItem Sprite Contest 3rd Place Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness (N64)
« Reply #35 on: July 18, 2017, 06:42:02 PM »
^^^^
Agreed.  These were my favorite titles, and I'd love for that remake or for someone to say, "Look at these, they did it right with these things, let's do that and refer to CV64 and LoD for some guidance.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 06:43:49 PM by theANdROId »

Offline DoctaMario

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: July 20, 2017, 07:32:39 AM »
^^^^
The Docta is in da house  8)

Hey X! :D

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: July 20, 2017, 10:02:07 AM »
Yo  8)
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline BloodyShadowoftheDarkness

• I don't even know how I came up with this name
  • What a horrible night to have a curse...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #38 on: July 22, 2017, 07:51:53 PM »
I actually really like these games.
It's nice to see other people who like them too.

While I know they have flaws, they are still fun.
It's a similar case to Simon's Quest, where many people just look at the flaws and forget the good merits of the games.
If anything, I would love a modern take on these games, not changing much, but instead just improving the good aspects and fixing the flaws.

The same could happen with Simon's Quest, I actually really like that game too for its unreached potential.
It's a similar case here too. Without the limitations and with a better understanding of basic 3D mechanics (because of course, most old games hit the 3D shift pretty badly, especially with the camera, nowadays this should not be a problem), the game could work really well nowadays.

And besides, they have aged way better than a lot of 3D games of the time.
It just takes a while to get used to them.
The morning sun has vanquished the horrible night.

Offline Belmont Stakes

• Registered Massholevaniac
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Smashing controllers since 1982
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: August 13, 2017, 06:40:48 PM »
The first game is probably the worst in the series but it gets it's redemption with LOD.
My take is that the game was probably made a little too quickly in the N64 life cycle. They may have wanted to wait :rollseyes: to the end become more acclimated with the console to get the most bang. Cacanami is the company that it is or is not so that's why we have this series as the neglected child of gaming.

All the same a remake done with love and care would be gladly welcomed, more than they know.

Remember my name and know this. I have Suffolk Down Syndrome.

Stop me if you've heard this one.
A Belmont falls through a trap door into a square prison with no exits. After hitting three sides he smashes through the last one. Relieved and low on health he looks at the camera, smiles and says......"Pork chop?"
ULTIMATE FOURTH WALL BREAK!!! That just happened!!!

Offline RichterB

• Returnee
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #40 on: August 23, 2017, 12:18:08 PM »
You've undoubtedly seen me lay out my case for these games before. But I decided to show why these had so many fundamentals down from the franchise. I used the original hardware to make this video. It's not as comprehensive as I'd like--that'd be a much larger project and include LoD as well--but this shows the basics of why CV64 laid the groundwork for Castlevania in 3D better than any game since, IMO. I set it to Battle of the Holy to show how it's not a black sheep, but works with classic tunes as well: http://bit.ly/2v64Hkt

Do I think I should have made this a new thread? I mean, it's on topic here and hopefully people are still reading this older thread.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2017, 12:22:47 PM by RichterB »

Offline GuyStarwind

• Lawful Good
  • Master Hunter
  • Shahrukh Khan is the greatest actor out there
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Crappy Brown Jacket Films
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #41 on: August 28, 2017, 11:55:44 PM »
I have a soft spot for these games. Just to share some of my personal thoughts.

Some good things

- No leveling and RPG elements. I love games like SotN but I prefer the old school style more where you have to make due with what you got. CV 64 gives you the ability to hold on to some healing items and such but that's about it. You don't get new armor, swords, or whatever, you get basic items like a whip and sub-weapons (though see my sub-weapon complaint later on). Also, you don't level. If you want to beat a part it's going to take practice and skill and not grinding for levels. Once again the Metroidvania style is fine, but I like the more Classicvania feel more.

- Platforming with results. I don't like how in most of the newer games you could fall from the top of the castle and be fine. If you mess up on your jumping you just start over. That's not the case in the 64 games and I'm a fan of that.

- Vampires that do vampire stuff. I like Iga and his games but he didn't do a good job with vampires. The vampires in the 64 games were cool because they actually tried to bite you and such. If you got bit you had to heal up or else you'd turn into a vampire and got a game over. I'm a fan of this idea and would love to see it return. Vampires were also pretty common enemies in these games and that's fun.

- Different original characters. I think LoD has like 4 playable characters and each has a unique fighting style and story. The supporting cast is cool too, and the merchant that tries to kill you if you spend too much is a clever idea.

Some bad things

- Crap controls. These games don't have very good controls. You get used to them but that doesn't mean they're good. Not to mention I don't like the N64 controllers. I really hate picking up items in this game (though that's more of a game mechanic). It would be nice if they used the controls from something like LoI (yes I know LoI came afterward).

- More sub-weapons and unique sub-weapons. I believe you only have 4 sub-weapon choices and it would be fun to have more options such as the Bible, stopwatch, etc. Having unique sub-weapons could be cool too. Like how Maria had different sub-weapons from Richter. Heck, item crashes could've been fun but easy come easy go.

- Music. This isn't to say these games don't have music but I wish they had some more CV tunes. I think maybe they were going for more of a spooky feel with no music in parts but there's something about marching into Castlevania with Vampire Killer playing in the background. This could even go in the nitpicking section too.

Some nitpicking.

- I want Belmont. I know one of the characters is a Belmont descendant and was even originally going to have the Belmont name but they don't call a Belmont. I just wish they did. Reinhardt Belmont or Schneider Belmont or even Reinhardt Schneider Belmont would've been fine.

- Crystals. I know not every CV game uses hearts as ammo but most of them do. Anyways it's a small nitpick but I prefer hearts over crystals.

- Enemies. This game has different enemies but I just wish it had more.

The 64 games get a lot of flack but they really are quite fun. Sure they got problems but they're still fun.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #42 on: August 30, 2017, 12:05:26 AM »
- I want Belmont. I know one of the characters is a Belmont descendant and was even originally going to have the Belmont name but they don't call a Belmont. I just wish they did. Reinhardt Belmont or Schneider Belmont or even Reinhardt Schneider Belmont would've been fine.

Actually there are two. Both Reinhardt and Carry are decedents of the Belmont clan, but from different (current) families.

Offline RichterB

• Returnee
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #43 on: August 30, 2017, 06:41:29 PM »
Heck, item crashes could've been fun but easy come easy go.

Yeah, the beta video (and maybe some interviews, I forget), alluded to Item Crashes of one sort or another being in the work-in-progress game. But they, like many other elements--including whip-swinging over gaps--didn't make the final cut due to various constraints.

It'd be awesome if they'd do a true director's cut of this game for, say, 3DS. And I don't mean simply Legacy of Darkness, which still didn't include everything planned (but did make the subweapons upgradable with special effects--three axes in a row gives you lightning-strike axes, etc.)

Offline theANdROId

• Master Hunter
  • Raiding the Castle's Treasure Room...
  • Awards 2014-12-FoodItem Sprite Contest 3rd Place Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness (N64)
« Reply #44 on: August 30, 2017, 08:01:14 PM »
...three axes in a row gives you lightning-strike axes, etc.

MAN I loved those axes!

Tags:

anything